Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #361
Rubber Obsessor

The next Stephenie Meyer book, Breaking Dawn, is not the retelling of Twilight from Edward's point of view. That will be after, but she has the first chapter on her website. Although with disclaimers that it will probably change and be better when the book, Midnight Sun, is actually published. I enjoyed it as it was.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #362
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjpp View Post
I had to post again...just finished Water for Elephants and I loved it right up until the last word! It didn't disappoint me for a second! It's a must must read.

I think I'm the only one that didn't like Water for Elephants. I listened to about 1 of the 5 CDs and just couldn't get into it and really didn't like the story line and didn't care for the language. But, I know a ton of people who loved it, so it just must be me.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #363
Rubber Obsessor

any checked out www.shelfari.com ? you can connect with your friends that are readers. Kinda fun.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #364
Gabfest Goddess

I'm on Shelfari, but find I spend far more time and have more books on my "shelf" at goodreads.com -- I'm WordTrix at both sites.

I finished the Debbie Macomber book, HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS, and picked up one that somehow got buried in the TBR pile a few years ago while I was only halfway through it. Since it's another holiday read -- A BRIDE FOR THE HOLIDAYS by Rene Roszel -- I decided maybe I should finish it before starting something new.

Heather

Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 AM   #365
Stazon Splitcoast

The Faith Club

This is a great book for anyone who enjoys reading about cross cultural communication, religion, women's studies or friendship.

It's the story of three women in NY (a Christian, a Muslim and a Jew) who wanted to write a book for their children after 9/11 to help them understand what happened. Instead, they realized that the reason they came together provided an opportunity for their own healing.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #366
Stazon Splitcoast

I am reading A Burglar on the Prowl and just finished Skeleton Coast ( a Clive Clusser) and am also reading The Last Survior (an autobiography about Navy Seals in Afganistan). All three are "guy" books, but they were/are pretty fast reads!! I like to change things up a bit from the usual romance/girlie novels!! Just FYI if you are looking for something ELSE to read!!

Jennik
Old 12-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #367
Matboard Maniac

I like Clive Cussler books too. I got into them this summer when I went on a road trip with my MIL. She had "Black Wind" on cd for us to listen to in the car. I had to check the book out from the library to be able to finish the story. Since then I've read a few others. I just finished "Sahara". It's a lot different from the movie, but really good. And now I'm reading "Treasure of Khan". It's just starting to get really interesting. I've also read & thoroughly enjoyed "Atlantis Rising".

Was "Skeleton Coast" any good? Have you read any of the non-Dirk Pitt books?
Expecting baby #2 Dec. 3, 2011
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #368
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnnyb View Post
I like Clive Cussler books too. I got into them this summer when I went on a road trip with my MIL. She had "Black Wind" on cd for us to listen to in the car. I had to check the book out from the library to be able to finish the story. Since then I've read a few others. I just finished "Sahara". It's a lot different from the movie, but really good. And now I'm reading "Treasure of Khan". It's just starting to get really interesting. I've also read & thoroughly enjoyed "Atlantis Rising".

I've never read any of these but wouldn't mind giving them a shot. What kind of books are they? Mystery, suspense, etc.?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #369
Insane Embellisher

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnnyb View Post

Dirk Pitt? Any chance he's Brad's long lost brother? He he
Old 12-13-2007, 06:20 AM   #370
Insane Embellisher

Well I just finished Water for Elephants that so many of you have read. What a great book! I loved all the old pictures scattered throughout the chapters, too. Thanks for a wonderful recommendation - I never would have known about that book if it weren't for this thread!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #371
Stampin' Fool

Default Cussler Fans

Ladies, fyi, although SKeleton Coast is a Clive Cussler book, it was actually co-written by a charming young man named Jack Dubrul! He is "co-authoring" a book called Plague Ship that will come out this spring. Jack also writes books under his own name with a main character like Dirk Pitt named Philip Mercer who is a geologist and has similar adventures. I have met both Clive and his son who is named Dirk btw, several times and also Jack. I'm going to attempt to attach a pic of me and Clive taken in November when Chase was released. Can you tell I am a fan? I've read everything Clive has written and actually have signed first editions of almost all of them as well as Jack's.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0565.jpg  
Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #372
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

I am reading Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts. It is the first of a new trilogy. The intro is a bit odd, but I am over half way through it and I love it! It is a bit off the beaten path for her, but very good. Kind of "Kingish" in a way.

Also, I have read The Husband by Koontz (very good) and Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (loved it---hilarious-- you will cherish it if you have any older people in your family!)

The doctor told me to read every night before bed time to make sure that I sleep well. Seems to be working...just need more books! I have read 3 books since November 15th---more books!
Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #373
Die Cut Diva

Just finished Nora's first book in that series yesterday, and I am looking forward to the next two that follow....she has a series about three sisters as well-have you read that? It was also a good night's reading. Andi
Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #374
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

Do you mean the Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, and I forgot the title of the 3rd book? I read those...if not, I am not quite sure what you are talking about. I finished Blood Brothers this morning. I can't wait until the next 2...should be interesting.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #375
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to jump in with a post and say that I am reading the Guideposts Christmas book!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #376
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tnurs View Post
Just finished Nora's first book in that series yesterday, and I am looking forward to the next two that follow....she has a series about three sisters as well-have you read that? It was also a good night's reading. Andi
If it's by Nora, I've read it. I can think of 2 offhand that match your description. The "Born in" series is about 3 sisters, two from Ireland and one from America, but the "Three Sisters Island" trilogy sounds right, but the ladies in it aren't actually sisters....Sisters of the heart, I suppose. Either of these what you mean?

I'm glad you liked her newest book. I'm anxious to read it but I'm trying to be patient until the other 2 are released, otherwise I'll be chomping at the bit to get going on the rest of the story.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #377
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to stamperjules

I'm working on Ian McEwan's novel Atonement. Anyone else reading it? I love it so far... very rich in character detail! Hope the movie will live up to the story
Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #378
Hardware Hotshot

got some great books for Christmas and am looking forward to reading them:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini
The Yiddish Policman's Union by Michael Chabon
The new novel about Holly Springs and Father Tim by Jan Karon (can't remember the name)
Old 12-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #379
Pearl-ExPert

Just finished Water for Elephants and loved it! Great story, great characters... and I loved the ending. *sniff*
Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #380
Insane Embellisher

Just started Third Degree by Greg Iles. I hope it will be as good as his others. They are very hard to put down.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #381
Mad Swapper

Am reading "Blood is the new black" can't remember who it's by; I got it for Christmas. I've read the first couple of chapters and it reads really fast, I am enjoying it so far. Next is 'Mr. Knightley's Diary' the author has taken 'Emma' by Jane Austen and is writing from Mr. Knightley's perspective.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #382
Insane Embellisher

I just finished Map of Bones by James Rollins. It was very good, sort of Da Vinci Code meets National Treasure (though not based in the US). Lots of action, lots of mystery and intrigue. A very fast-pased story.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #383
Glitter Queen

I just finished "Steve and Me' by Terri Irwin. Our family are big fans of the Irwin family and were very sad when Steve was killed. This is a wonderful book. She says her editor helped trim over 900 pages to 300, I want the other 600 pages. She told some wonderful stories about Steve and their family.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #384
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
I just finished Map of Bones by James Rollins. It was very good, sort of Da Vinci Code meets National Treasure (though not based in the US). Lots of action, lots of mystery and intrigue. A very fast-pased story.
Is this in a series or a stand alone book?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #385
Insane Embellisher

Never mind. I found the answer. It's a first in a series of so far three books.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #386
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinselena View Post
Never mind. I found the answer. It's a first in a series of so far three books.
Yep. I am working on the second book now and it is also very good. In case you aren't able to locate all 3, the one (and a half) I've read are full stories that stand very well on their own.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #387
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Yep. I am working on the second book now and it is also very good. In case you aren't able to locate all 3, the one (and a half) I've read are full stories that stand very well on their own.
Thanks for the tip. I've got them on my to read list.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #388
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I've got them on my to read list.
You know, to be perfectly honest, I picked them up from the library and one of them has a damaged back cover, so I didn't even realized they went together until I started on the second book. I suppose I was lucky to get them in the correct order. That also goes to show how good the first book was, that there wasn't an indication that it would pick up again in a later book (no cliffhangers, etc.). Now I just wish the library had the 3rd book, as I hate to buy just one in a set and especially the LAST one.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #389
Crimping Master

Quote:
If it's by Nora, I've read it. I can think of 2 offhand that match your description. The "Born in" series is about 3 sisters, two from Ireland and one from America, but the "Three Sisters Island" trilogy sounds right, but the ladies in it aren't actually sisters....Sisters of the heart, I suppose. Either of these what you mean?

I'm glad you liked her newest book. I'm anxious to read it but I'm trying to be patient until the other 2 are released, otherwise I'll be chomping at the bit to get going on the rest of the story.

I haven't read these yet! (what planet have I been on?) I am going to check them out though. I love Nora!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #390
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
You know, to be perfectly honest, I picked them up from the library and one of them has a damaged back cover, so I didn't even realized they went together until I started on the second book. I suppose I was lucky to get them in the correct order. That also goes to show how good the first book was, that there wasn't an indication that it would pick up again in a later book (no cliffhangers, etc.). Now I just wish the library had the 3rd book, as I hate to buy just one in a set and especially the LAST one.
If your library doesn't have it, see if they can borrow it from another branch. Any library should be able to do that. At my library we can borrow from just about any library in the country for just a $2 fee to cover postage. It's worth a shot.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #391
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
If your library doesn't have it, see if they can borrow it from another branch. Any library should be able to do that. At my library we can borrow from just about any library in the country for just a $2 fee to cover postage. It's worth a shot.

Great Idea. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #392
Stazon Splitcoast

Just read Shoe Addicts Anonyoumous, by Beth Harbison. Really fast and fun!!!!! Read it in one evening. (home all alone for a couple of hours........ How lucky am I???) I love shoes, but these gals are way out my league!! I also am reading the Treasure of Khan a Clive Clusser book. And Deal with This by Lucy Monroe. I always have a couple of book going at once.
Happy Reading
Jennik
Old 12-31-2007, 09:15 AM   #393
Hardware Hotshot

Default great holiday read-guidepost Christmas treasury

I have a book from 1972 that is put with my holiday decorations every year, and this season I was going to read it again, it's Guideposts Christmas Treasury. I also get the Christmas cards each year, because they always have a super great mini story to share in each greeting card. I was not aware that they still are doing these these Christmas treasury books, have they been doing it every year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softangelkisses View Post
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to jump in with a post and say that I am reading the Guideposts Christmas book!

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #394
Kookie Creator

I just got Pillars Of the Earth by Ken Follett for my birthday and am loving it! I moaned when I opened it cause it's an Oprah book...Now, I love Oprah but was taking a break from her books cause they tend to be major downers. I read Map of the World during my last pregnancy, what a mistake!
I'm already about 1/2 way thru it, of course it helps that I am pregnant and am in bed alot these days.
If you like history and anything to do with the UK or are an architect, I highly recc. it!
Noddy
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #395
Crimping Master

Send a message via AIM to Kjpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
I just got Pillars Of the Earth by Ken Follett for my birthday and am loving it! I moaned when I opened it cause it's an Oprah book...Now, I love Oprah but was taking a break from her books cause they tend to be major downers. I read Map of the World during my last pregnancy, what a mistake!
I'm already about 1/2 way thru it, of course it helps that I am pregnant and am in bed alot these days.
If you like history and anything to do with the UK or are an architect, I highly recc. it!
Noddy
This book is one of my all time favorites!!!! I recommend it all the time! Glad your enjoying it. I'm reading the second in this series which was just released in hardcover called "World without End". So far....very good!!!!! Ken Follett also wrote "Eye of the Needle" which is a spy thriller set in WW11. It was also made into a movie about 10 years ago(I think...) I feel he's an excellent writer. Pillars and World are entirely different than what his writing is usually about.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #396
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

Im reading "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld, and rereading "Rebel Angels" by Libba Bray (I have the next book in the Gemma Doyle series, The Sweet Far Thing, in my bookshelf now, waiting, so I am rereading to refresh my memory!)

On my list of to read (I have a stack of books in my storeroom bookshelf awaiting)

"Peony in Love" by Lisa See (I LOVED Snow Flower and the Secret Fan)
"New Moon" and "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight was HOT!!!)
Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #397
Matboard Maniac

Hi!
Just finished "The Opposite of Fate" by Amy Tan and am now reading "Jesus Land" by ??? Both are memoirs. Jesus Land is depressing, but very touching and well-written. It is written by a woman of her 16th year moving to the country in Indiana with her family and her (adopted) black brothers. I got it for my birthday and it reminds me of Glass Castle.
I also got "Crime & Punishment" from the library because I feel like I NEED to read the book. I've tried 2 times before and I just can't get through it. We'll see.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #398
Polyshrink Goddess

Right now I'm reading Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel. I really enjoy the book. It's taking me a while to read it just 'cause I'm busy with life right now, but I am really enjoying it. There are parts of the book that I can really relate to.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #399
Rubber Obsessor

well after reading so many enthused posts about it on this thread, I finally got my hands on Water For Elephants. I'm about half way through and really enjoying it
Old 01-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #400
Crimping Master

Send a message via AIM to Kjpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootle View Post
well after reading so many enthused posts about it on this thread, I finally got my hands on Water For Elephants. I'm about half way through and really enjoying it
This was my favorite book of 2006. I was at the bookstore yesterday and saw someone buying it-I wanted to say to her "good choice!"!