Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default tell me about your Kindle

If you have a Kindle, could you please tell me about it....do you like it, is it easy to use, do you miss paper? I know the price side of it, just wondering about how it well it works.

<<<a day of shopping can wear you out...if you do it right!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

I got a Kindle last month and I love it. I have only read two books on it because I have a backup of "regular" books left to read, but so far I really like it! The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that it is hard to tell where in the book you are, page-wise. The pages on a Kindle are numbered differently and I haven't figured out how it works yet.

I bought the booklight to use at night because I do most of my reading in bed before going to sleep. I really like that too!

Books you purchase are downloaded instantly and the Kindle support people are really helpful if you need them. Feel free to ask me anything!

Karen
Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

wow, all these bookies and no else with a kindle????

Old 10-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Mad Swapper

Oh me, me, me! I got one on the 11th for my birthday, and I'm on my fourth book now. I SO love it -- for me it's the only way to go. I get cranky when I pick up my big old bulky hardcover that I'm still in the middle of.

I have a problem with accidentally "turning the page" -- the bars you push to go to the next page/previous page, these bars run along the two sides of the kindle. So unless I hold it just right (and using the leather cover thingy helps with this) I often click the bar and get to the wrong page. But really, though, that's my only problem so far and it's manageable.

I will tell you that it hurts hardly at all when you fall asleep reading in bed and drop it in your face and bonk your nose with it. That happens to me more often than I care to admit! One night I fell way way asleep and just dropped it, right off the bed and onto the floor. It was fine for an hour or so but then all of a sudden it just froze and I had to restart. No biggie since I had already read through the instruction manual but would have been a biggie if I hadn't, since the manual is on the kindle... I suppose you could read it off Amazon too.

It's so addictive. Just click and tadah, your book's right there in front of you. Makes it hard between books... I like to take a break between books but it's hard if you don't even need to MOVE to get another one

Anyway I love mine. I highly recommend it if you read a lot. You might want to check on Amazon and look through the titles available -- not everything is.
HTH!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

Renee~ too funny about hitting yourself! This is why I don't buy hardcover books! I get really excited when a new book is released but won't buy it until it's in paperback....and by then I've forgot all about it! So I was hoping this would be a better way to get teh new releases.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

I have one. I love it although it does have some drawbacks. Yes the page up bar is in the WORST spot. Yes you will hit it accidently no matter how hard you try not to. I have found that keeping my cover on makes it easier to hold it.

Also when I am looking for something in a book I like to be able to freely move around a book, looking into different chapters and such, seeing where I am in the book, it is much harder to do this with the Kindle. They tell you what page you are on but a Kindle page is much different than a books page also depending on what font size you select. You will have less words on a page if you selected the larger font.

The off button needs to be on the front to so you don't have to take it out of the case/holder to turn it off.

Other than that it is easy to purchase and fast (providing you have Sprint in your area and they have the book you want). It fits nicely in your purse and is very handy. It is to books as Ipod is to music.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Just checking out this thread as I'm saving up for a Kindle - interesting advice, especially that it doesn't hurt if you drop it on your nose (I can see myself doing that!) LOL!!

So... anyone know if the issues you all have mentioned are addressed in the Kindle2? Any Kindle 2 users out there? I'm guessing the # of titles available has increased a lot since this thread.

Anyway - popping this to the top and subscribing to see if there are any more reviews in SCSland !!

TIA
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Tonnie
Default Kindle...

I am interested in this also, I told my husband that this is what I want for Mother's Day. I just read that the book titles available are up too 260,000. I would also be interested to see if the issues have been resolved w/ Kindle 2. I hope more people chime in and give their reviews of the Kindle.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Proud Fan Club Member

Ooh... I totally forgot about Mother's Day LOL!!

I've been reading online reviews and I'm hoping v.3 will have fewer buttons, maybe a touch screen, upgradeable memory, replaceable battery, a built in case or cover, and a larger display screen. . . . hmmm ~ always hard to know when to jump in when it comes to electronics!! Would be great if it cost less, too!!

So tempting. . . here's my pitch: "Dear, if we get the Kindle2, then when version 3 comes out, you can have the 2!! It will already be set up with some great books and magazine subscriptions!!" If he falls for that, I'll be flabbergasted LOL!! What will actually happen: HE'LL get the 3, and after awhile, I'll just start using the 3 and he'll use the 2 LOL!!
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Insane Embellisher

I am too impatient to wait for version 3 so I will hopefully get the Kindle 2. My hubby already said he would get it for me, just don't know which holiday.
Phantom...I think you have a good idea, however it wouldn't work for me, my husband doesn't read .
Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
I am too impatient to wait for version 3 so I will hopefully get the Kindle 2. My hubby already said he would get it for me, just don't know which holiday.
Phantom...I think you have a good idea, however it wouldn't work for me, my husband doesn't read .
I hear ya on this point, too!! Now... I could always pass the Kindle2 to my now 8-year-old daughter! I was reading that the Kindle can be a great boon to kids' reading. Although I'm a bibliophile from way back and have passed that along to her ~ I'm not sure I'm ready for her to forego the pages of real books just yet. I just enjoy being around books, holding them, seeing their spines on the shelf. I'm hopeless. But the Kindle sure would be great for traveling - for all of us!
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 04-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

I can pass it down to my son who is going to 18 in a couple of weeks, but he doesn't read too much. I am trying to get him hooked, he just read Angels and Demons and really liked it so there is hope for him yet. I agree w/ you though, the is nothing better than an actual book...love the feel, the smell etc. Will never give up the real thing either.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
Kookie Creator

Default I have a K2

I have the Kindle 2 and I love it. I rarely hit the page buttons accidentally - ususally only when I am walking around the house reading - not smart!! I LOVE the dictionary feature and that I can look up passages/quotes by word searches. Plus you can make comments and save those too, great for book club.

I find I read faster on the K2 than with a real book. Not sure why. Less eye strain is one reason. I love that you can throw it in your purse and go - not easy with giant hardcover library books.

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for sharing your input!! I really want one .

I get the BOMC catalog every month (and fortunately don't even have to deal with the automatic shipment issue ~ years ago I was traveling a lot for work and called to ask if they could just mark my account with a permanent "never send automatic monthly selection" and they did!! They don't do that anymore, but I've been 'grandfathered in'), and recently there has been a large number of titles that I would love to read. I should probably check to see if they are available for Kindle ~ that will be a good indicator as to whether or not I'll find what I'm looking for electronically.

Just like with stamps, space gets to be an issue and I think I'm to the point that I can live without having a hardcover of everything. I just love being around books but have kept several bookcases of favorite titles I've read ~ the ones that hold meaning for me that I may actually re-read one day. I would read so much more with the Kindle, I'm sure.

This is a lot like movies for me. I was so thrilled and awestruck when we could first buy movies on videotape - so DVDs are a true treasure for me. I just could hardly fathom that I could hold a MOVIE in my hands and watch a favorite whenever I wanted!! Ahh...children these days just take it all for granted!! Anyway, I've been loving watching movies On Demand for only a few dollars, enjoying it, and not feeling like I have to own it. Very liberating. Just like with books - after you read it, if you really want it, you can always buy it on sale!!

Another plus for the Kindle that I can think of is that I've been burned by book excerpts before!! I won't feel nearly so bad if I start to read a book and 100 pages in find that it's not living up to expectations and I want to stop. I won't feel so obligated by the $ invested or having the physical book to find a home for.

Yes. I see a Kindle in my future !
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #15
Mad Swapper

I have wanted a Kindle for quite a long time, but I didn't want to spend the money. I have recently found out there is a app available for my iTouch for the Kindle. I downloaded it and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. It is smaller than the Kindle screen, but I love it. I can get books any time I want, not just when I am on line and I have it with me all the time. The app doesn't have many of the features of the Kindle, but its okay for me now, I am quite happy with it.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #16
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for the info on the iTouch - I had no idea. It looks great and I love the idea of having so many other functions. I'm just not sure I'd like reading on such a small screen - not resolution or type size issues, but the shorter line length would bother me. Otherwise, I think it's a great idea and glad to know there are other options
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
Insane Embellisher

I have decided to wait on the Kindle 2. I was reading the reviews on Amazon and the one reason I will wait until a new version comes out that is a little tougher. Numerous people have dropped theirs, even from just a few inches, and part of the screen goes black. Amazon won't replace them, or they will for $200. So for the money, I will wait. I am really bummed, I was so excited about getting one. If you own one be very careful not to drop it.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
Matboard Maniac

I thought about a Kindle, but I get almost all my books from the library for FREE. Is there a lending library for a Kindle?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

We got our Kindle in October, so it's the first version. We like it a LOT! I bought several books for it before we went on vacation, and I'm glad I did, because in Northern Arizona, apparently there isn't Sprint cell phone service, because that's the network that the Kindle uses to connect with Amazon and that's how you get your books! I read one whole book on vacation, and half of another book.

I think certain kinds of books are better in hard copy. Reference books, for example (depending on the kind of reference book), and for me, devotional books would be better on paper. But novels and many non-fiction are great on the Kindle! I LOVE that you can get PDF files of many classics for free online, then Amazon will put it in Kindle format and send it to your Kindle for only 10 cents! That's how I got Jane Eyre on my Kindle!

DH and I share one at this point. If it turns out that I'm reading it tons, we might get another one.

But have you seen that now there are THREE Kindles? The 3rd one to come out is the DX, and it's bigger and has a rotating display and it's $489 (pre-order price - apparently it's not out yet). I read an article in USA Today that some colleges are buying them for their students and Amazon is putting out textbooks in the Kindle version at a HUGE savings to the college students - I think that's GREAT!! Textbooks are SO expensive!!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

I would not want my text books on the kindle. While it is very nice and easy, I am the type that highlights and goes back to reread. I know you can highlight with Kindle and take notes but for textbooks I will pass.

I was wondering those of you with kindle two and the voice. How does the voice sound?I would love to have the sound but the sample I heard he sounded like the robot on lost in space.

I am considering selling my Kindle one for the Kindle two. I don't think I will need the Kindle 3.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
Crimping Master

I just got mine on Mothers day and I love it. As far as the talking voice, that's a no for me...I don't like it. Too much like a robot and no emotion. So, if you think you want it for the voice don't bother.