Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Books & Magazines (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/books-magazines-f60/)
-   -   What are you reading at the moment? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/books-magazines-f60/what-you-reading-moment-t223632.html)

okell 02-11-2007 11:51 AM

What are you reading at the moment?

I've started reading 'Wind in the Willows' again... I love this book.

laurakj 02-11-2007 01:03 PM

It's called Mystic Warrior. Another Fantasy book by one of the authors of the Death Gate Cycle :D I loved that series, so I thought I'd give another one of his books a shot.

I just finished Eragon and Eldest again too :)

Stacey D 02-12-2007 05:04 AM

just finished Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. Also reading Momstown - the stay at home moms guide to getting a life! www.momstown.com Great book!

kymi 02-12-2007 06:40 AM

Thanks, Stacey. Checked out that website, bookmarked it and I'm thinking of ordering that book.

WordTrix 02-12-2007 06:44 AM

Recently finished BLUE SMOKE by Nora Roberts and am now reading CAROLINA MOON by the same author.

Heather

sma499 02-12-2007 08:41 AM

I am reading "2nd Chance" by James Patterson. It's part of a series about a homicide detective in San Francisco. I read these kind of books a lot, but I often catch myself thinking, why am I reading about such horrible things?

okell 02-12-2007 10:45 AM

It's nice to hear what other people are reading, I'll check some of the titles out, they sound interesting.

okell 02-12-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sma499
I am reading "2nd Chance" by James Patterson. It's part of a series about a homicide detective in San Francisco. I read these kind of books a lot, but I often catch myself thinking, why am I reading about such horrible things?

I went through a patch of reading non-stop horror, mostly James Herbert and John Saul, I had to stop for a while, my husband was getting worried!! :)

Arlene Mantle 02-12-2007 10:58 AM

I just finnished reading James Patterson's, "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" and bawled my head off. I found the DVD in Walmart and decided to watch the movie last night. It was very sad, BAWLED AGAIN last night!!!

hoosierstamper 02-12-2007 11:16 AM

I've started several books and put them all down because one I've been waiting for finally came up at the library - Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham. I LOVE Grisham!

The ones I started reading were Wicked (not sure of author) about the life of The Wicked Witch of the West and NEXT by Michael Crichton. Didn't get very far into either one and tossed them both aside.

nickelini 02-12-2007 04:17 PM

I'm reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. So far I don't think this is her best book.

Jeanniebabes 02-12-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosierstamper
I've started several books and put them all down because one I've been waiting for finally came up at the library - Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham. I LOVE Grisham!

The ones I started reading were Wicked (not sure of author) about the life of The Wicked Witch of the West and NEXT by Michael Crichton. Didn't get very far into either one and tossed them both aside.

I just finished Wicked, I wasnt impressed at the beginning either. Dont give up on it yet, it does get better as it goes on. I even bought the next book "son of a witch". I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.

momis mama 02-12-2007 08:14 PM

i prefer magazines and i have about 6 new ones...
we're expecting about 8-12" of snow i guess- so i think i'll be having some time to be reading!

i have short term memory loss due to a head injury- doesn't work well with books. i always loose track of whats going on when i pick it back up the next day and have to re-read so much.

Sairabee 02-12-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosierstamper

Oh Honey... I wish you'd emailed me before you started that one. LOL. I read it. It was painful. I soooo wanted to love it, but I couldn't. A book that size would normally have taken me (before child :rolleyes: ) maybe a week to read. That one took me three months. I just couldn't get into it, and found it to be dull as can be until the last 100 or so pages, and even then it was only sub par.

I had a whole thread about my ordeal. If you search this forum for threads with Wicked in the title you'll see it. But there might be spoilers in it so proceed with caution!

To the OP... I'm trying to read Gone with the Wind. I've only gotten about 20 pages (out of 1000 some) into it, but can't seem to find the time now that I'm in class again and reading so many business articles for that.

jlcghs27408 02-13-2007 06:17 AM

I'm reading Taking Lives ... don't remember the author.

I can't get into it. I have some fluffy chick lit waiting for me for when I give up.

The characters aren't interesting at all. I keep waiting for the scary & exciting parts to come... but so far it's just been a series of events.

jlcghs27408 02-13-2007 06:17 AM

I'm reading Taking Lives ... don't remember the author.

I can't get into it. I have some fluffy chick lit waiting for me for when I give up.

The characters aren't interesting at all. I keep waiting for the scary & exciting parts to come... but so far it's just been a series of events.

kgormley 02-13-2007 07:00 AM

I just finished reading "The Other Boleyn Girl" and started "The Boleyn Inheritance" last night. Both are by Philippa Gregory and are about King Henry VIII and his various wives/lovers. Fiction, but based on actual people/history ... very good if you like historical fiction.

sammamishcert 02-13-2007 07:20 AM

I'm reading Silverthorn by Raymon Fiest, it's in the Magician: Apprentice series. My husband made me read the first one and I've really enjoyed it. I've just started another book after going to the authors book signing. It's called Island of the Sequined Love Nun, written by Christopher Moore. This guys books are laugh out loud funny and completely warped. I've enjoyed all of the books I've read by him. Titles include Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christs' Childhood Friend, Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings, A Dirty Job, The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, Bloodsucking Fiends, and You Suck (the sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends). Christopher Moore has a cult-like following, they're a little crazy themselves.

navybrat75 02-13-2007 08:08 AM

Reading The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell by Lilian Jackson Braun. Also started The Bastard's Tale: A Dame Frevisse Mystery.
I tried to read Wicked and wound up putting it down and not picking it back up. I don't know if I have ever NOT finished a book before. I just could not get into it. I did like Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister though. I just think that those books should be so much fun to read, but he takes a serious line to writing them and I just can't get into them. There was way too much politics in Wicked for me to enjoy it.

Melissa Brown67 02-13-2007 12:02 PM

I just finished The Thirteenth Tale and I absolutely LOVED it. One of those rare books where I was actually sad it was over.
I'm getting ready to start Into the Wild by John Krakaur.

lishee 02-13-2007 12:22 PM

I am reading Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado. It is very good.

lishee 02-13-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickelini
I'm reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. So far I don't think this is her best book.

I agree. I tried reading that a few years ago and it was hard to get through. I love Jane Austen though.

gmcbunny 02-13-2007 12:44 PM

I just started reading "Life of Pi" - it's pretty good so far

Carmel Mom Sue 02-13-2007 03:16 PM

Just finished A Girl Named Skippy by Haven Kimmel about a girl growing up in the 70's in Indiana. It was pretty good. Also finished The Five People You meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. I was disappointed - thought I would like it better. I'm waiting for holds at the library on The Life of Pi, The Glass Castle and The Time Travelers Wife. Hope they will be good!

Carmel Mom Sue 02-13-2007 03:26 PM

Just finished A Girl Named Skippy by Haven Kimmel about a girl growing up in the 70's in Indiana. It was pretty good. Also finished The Five People You meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. I was disappointed - thought I would like it better. I'm waiting for holds at the library on The Life of Pi, The Glass Castle and The Time Travelers Wife. Hope they will be good!

restongal 02-13-2007 04:22 PM

Just finished "Her Sister's Keeper" and about to start "The Memory Keepers Daughter"

restongal 02-13-2007 04:23 PM

OOPS meant "My Sister's Keeper" :oops:

nickelini 02-13-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lishee
I agree. I tried reading that a few years ago and it was hard to get through. I love Jane Austen though.

Sigh. Yes. I'm reading it for a course that I'm taking. I wish they'd chosen one of her other books. Oh well.

vanna106 02-14-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by restongal
Just finished "Her Sister's Keeper" and about to start "The Memory Keepers Daughter"

These are both great books! My Sister's Keeper was amazing!!

vanna106 02-14-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgormley
I just finished reading "The Other Boleyn Girl" and started "The Boleyn Inheritance" last night. Both are by Philippa Gregory and are about King Henry VIII and his various wives/lovers. Fiction, but based on actual people/history ... very good if you like historical fiction.

I LOOOOVE Philippa Gregory! Make sure you also read the Queen's Fool and The Virgin's Lover. I got The Boleyn Inheritence for xmas.

When I first suggested The Other Boylen Girl to my book club they groaned because it was almost 700 pgs. I kept telling them they would fly by. When we met up again all I got were praises.

FYI~They are currently working on the filming of "The Other Boylen Girl". I had no idea but my DH found the clipping and put it in a box and wrapped it for me. He knew how much I loved the book and thought I'd be overjoyed about a movie.

vanna106 02-14-2007 06:53 PM

Just finished 'The Red Tent' and working on starting 'The House' by D. Steele.

stepheb 02-15-2007 08:40 AM

lovers and players by Jackie Collins

hunnnyb 02-15-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmel Mom Sue
I'm waiting for holds at the library on The Life of Pi, The Glass Castle and The Time Travelers Wife. Hope they will be good!

I recently read The Life of Pi and found that it was a little hard to get into, but once you finally got to the lifeboat with the tiger, I found the story to be very interesting. And I recently reread The Time Traveler's Wife. I LOVE that book. I need to buy a copy for myself sometime. I haven't read The Glass Castle but I've heard that it's good but very sad.

I'm currently trying to read The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. I'm not very far into it, but I'm one of those people who has never not finished a book. I picked it up at the library because I just finished reading Time & Chance and Here by Dragons (both by Penman) and I really liked them. I'm also rereading the Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon, in anticipation of her latest book being available at the library.

vanna106 02-15-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmel Mom Sue
J I'm waiting for holds at the library on The Glass Castle. Hope they will be good!

The Glass Castle was very good--a true story. The author of the book is a columnist for MSNBC news. It was great to see how people can overcome such adversities but I was very sad and angry throughout the book.

madeleinesnana 02-15-2007 01:28 PM

Oh so many books, so little time. Life of Pi, Kite Runner, My Sister's Keeper, The year of Magical Thinking, Slouching towards Bethlehem and dailly trying to read through the Chronological Bible.
Actuallly Joan Didion's Magical Thinking was an incredible book about the first year as a widow. She is a marvelous writer and very strong woman. Vanessa Redgrave will be performing a one woman play based on that book beginning soon in NYC.

musesmom 02-15-2007 02:47 PM

Genuine Lies by Nora Roberts

Softangelkisses 02-15-2007 04:05 PM

The only thing I am reading now is my Daily Guidposts book! I figure that with Abby coming I didn't want to be trying to keep up with a book and having to constantly re read the pages because of forgetting what I had read!!

I do recommend the Daily Guidposts to anyone looking for some good inspirational reading!

hoosierstamper 02-16-2007 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
I just finished Wicked, I wasnt impressed at the beginning either. Dont give up on it yet, it does get better as it goes on. I even bought the next book "son of a witch". I am currently reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd.

Thanks for the encouragement about Wicked. I finished my Grisham and now want to start "Cross" by James Patterson since it's finally available at the library too. Wicked and NEXT will still have to wait.

greatdaneaddict 02-16-2007 08:01 AM

I just finished "The Husband" by Dean Koontz (who is my favorite author.)

Now I'm reading Bloodlines by Susan Conant and Real Women Scrap.

okell 02-16-2007 08:22 AM

I'm re-reading 'Allotted Time, Twelve months, two blokes, one shed, no idea by Robin Shelton. Fantastic book, more of a journal about Robin and his first year in his new allottment and his own personal life. Excellent book for anyone who's into gardening or owns/rents an allottment. Extremely funny.