Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #41
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapfever2 View Post
I just looked at your blog and you're up to 90, with my add you're at 91 now! More than me!

Nice going!
thanks laurie
i appreciate it ... can't wait to check out your blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #42
Kookie Creator

Send a message via MSN to germania73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampnangel View Post
i thought it was automatically added with blogger but if its not then under add a gadget in the design element you can find it there
Thank you Carrie.. I got it I thought it was added automatically.. Hope to have some followers soon too..
Old 02-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #43
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to AmandaW

One more follower! lol
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #44
Kookie Creator

Send a message via MSN to germania73

Whoohoo Thank you Amanda for being my 1st follower. You have a new Follower as well.. Love your Bliss Card
Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #45
Mad Swapper

Hi there, one way to get followers is to join in WOYWW ( Whats on your Workdesk Wednesday) here: Stamping Ground as you can guess, it takes place every Wednesday, and people post pictures of their projects/workspace/craftroom etc, then gradually work their way down the list visiting each other. I have picked up a lot of followers from here, and indeed become a follower of others. It really is great fun. Julia starts the post about 6.00am UK time, and people are posting all day, and visiting for a few days after.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #46
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to CreatingWithStamps

I've always wondered how to gain more followers as well. I've been blogging for about a year, and as I participated in more blog challenges, I slowly started getting some followers. I also gained some more once I started on a new design team. I have to say though, that participating in Blog Hops has probably gotten me the most followers. I have done a bunch with DeNami Designs, and one with Papertrey Ink. I would love to do more blog hops....does anyone know of any hops looking for people to join??
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #47
Gallery Gazer

hi nikki
no I don't currently know of any hops. I wish i had time to do some of the hops i've seen but thats a good idea.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #48
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatingWithStamps View Post
I've always wondered how to gain more followers as well. I've been blogging for about a year, and as I participated in more blog challenges, I slowly started getting some followers. I also gained some more once I started on a new design team. I have to say though, that participating in Blog Hops has probably gotten me the most followers. I have done a bunch with DeNami Designs, and one with Papertrey Ink. I would love to do more blog hops....does anyone know of any hops looking for people to join??
No, I don't. And a gal on here tried to organize one and the thread was shut down because it is apparently is against the TOS. (And this was NOT a product push/advertise hop...just one for gals here...open to everyone...)

Wonder if there is a way we can get one going without using SCS?? Think girls, think!!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #49
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeys View Post
No, I don't. And a gal on here tried to organize one and the thread was shut down because it is apparently is against the TOS. (And this was NOT a product push/advertise hop...just one for gals here...open to everyone...)

Wonder if there is a way we can get one going without using SCS?? Think girls, think!!
If you do please let me know. I would love to play along
Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #50

I'm trying to think about how I could go about starting one up. If we can't organize one here I'm wondering how we would have people play along. I surprised it's against the TOS here.

Last edited by LaLatty; 02-23-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Old 02-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #51
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLatty View Post
I'm trying to think about how I could go about starting one up. If we can't organize one here I'm wondering how we would have people play along. I surprised it's against the TOS here.
I know! I was shocked as well. I could see if it was promoting a product, but no. And my thread about Use it Tuesday which is in NO WAY associated with any product or even gives out prizes was removed as well.

So I have an idea...there is another forum that I know we can use here. We can advertise the hop on our blog and then direct people there to set up the list.

What do you think??
Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #52
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hi girls!
The reason we don't allow blog hops is that it would be hard for us to police the promotional blog hops vs. the non promotional ones so we have to be consistent. Many that start out non promotional (no prizes or company ties) quickly switch to being sponsored events. We just don't have the manpower to police blog happenings, so we just don't allow them to be organized or promoted here.
If you have any further questions please feel free to PM me or any other Mod.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #53
Forum Fanatic

When I offer something on my blog, I let anyone who wants to enter just leave a comment to get a chance. Then I have them leave a 2nd comment if they become a follower or are already a follower so they get an extra chance. That way if someone wants to follow they get 2 chances to win and if they don't want to follow, they still get a chance to win.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #54
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
When I offer something on my blog, I let anyone who wants to enter just leave a comment to get a chance. Then I have them leave a 2nd comment if they become a follower or are already a follower so they get an extra chance. That way if someone wants to follow they get 2 chances to win and if they don't want to follow, they still get a chance to win.
Oh that's a good idea Gale. I'll try that next time I do blog candy.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #55
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via MSN to wenchie

The more I read, the more I realize I have more to learn. LOL I wonder how people have time to create because it's so very time consuming visiting blogs. Don't get me wrong, I love visiting blogs, but if I were to take up all the suggestions here, I'd have little time to blog or create. Seems like a double edged sword.

As for blog hops . . . . I don't really understand it. Can't you just organize one from your own blog and do an email blast to your members, who might send their own email blast, and so on?

Proud Fan Club Member | My blog: Paper Castle

Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #56
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenchie View Post
The more I read, the more I realize I have more to learn. LOL I wonder how people have time to create because it's so very time consuming visiting blogs. Don't get me wrong, I love visiting blogs, but if I were to take up all the suggestions here, I'd have little time to blog or create. Seems like a double edged sword.....
Yes, it can be a double-edge sword. Since I started my Blog a year ago, I do have less time to visit other people's Blogs, and I guess that made me realise the time and effort people put into their blogs and I appreciate even more when people take the time to leave a comment on my Blog. I guess with Blogging, you can share as little or as much as you would like to - I do describe in detail how to make my cards, but other people only write a small amount - so that takes less time. Others share more personal info - others (like myself) mainly stick to my craft. And I usually only post twice a week - usually Sat and Wed - with a young family, I just don't have the time to make a card each day as I would probably burn out - plus I am a really slow cardmaker....!

One thing I did read about blogging somewhere, was to post on a regular basis eg: on particular days or always on say a Monday. That way your readers get to know when you post and they will check in on you if they have that info. I know of one Blogger (Kurt) and he posts once a week and his posting is always called The Wednesday Post - so I always know when he posts and will check on that day to see what he has made. He usually has several cards in that post - not just one - and it obviously works for him to do it that way instead of having separate posts for each card.

That's the great thing about blogging - it can be what you want it to be - post as little or as often as you like and your blog posts don't have to be long if you don't want. And I have found, that I am getting quicker at posting. I have my little routine all worked out and do all my postings in the same fashion. I have a little exercise book next to desk, and I write the stamp names, ink pads, dp's and accessories eg: Cuttlebug etc. when I make my card so all the info is there when I go to do my post. It's like the first time I uploaded a card here at SCS, I think it took me well over an hour. Now, it is much quicker.

My Gallery My Blog

Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #57
Polyshrink Goddess

Some really interesting discussion here, ladies! Thanks for the tips on the stats. I had no idea about that. I guess I haven't really played with the stats part that much.

Ready for Spring!!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #58

I just remembered the blog comment thread found here:

Round 4: Blog Comments time to start surfing the blogs!

You might get a few more followers by playing along there because you would have new people looking at your blog. Just a thought.

Blog groups are another way, but I have found them to be time consuming for me.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #59
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Account settings-Webmaster Tools-(you might have to add your blog here, mine is shown but I may have added it a long time ago!)-click on your blog name-then left side in the dashboard, click the + to expand it, click on "subscriber stats"

You can also play in there and see all sorts of stuff...most popular posts, etc. It is pretty cool.
Just a question, what are you using? Is it Blogger, or something else, as I can't find webmaster tools on my Blogger? Maybe I am not looking in the right place, lol. Thanks for help
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #60
Gallery Gazer

under your dashboard on blogger go all the way to the bottom and its in the middle column i believe
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #61
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Just a question, what are you using? Is it Blogger, or something else, as I can't find webmaster tools on my Blogger? Maybe I am not looking in the right place, lol. Thanks for help
Can you find your account settings? On my computer, I click on the home button, which leads me to google which is my default search engine. Then I have to go to my far right (running Firefox), click on the cog wheel and a drop down comes up with Account Settings. Click that.

Then, there are lots of options...first section is labeled My Products. Webmaster Tools is right under that. Click on it and follow the directions above.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Account settings-Webmaster Tools-(you might have to add your blog here, mine is shown but I may have added it a long time ago!)-click on your blog name-then left side in the dashboard, click the + to expand it, click on "subscriber stats"

You can also play in there and see all sorts of stuff...most popular posts, etc. It is pretty cool.
Hey, that's really neat! Thanks for telling us about it. I didn't know this was even there.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #63
Hardware Hotshot

No problem! It is much more accurate than just looking at who "follows" you. I don't like following because I like to organize my google reader by category, like blog groups I am in, scrapbook blogs, family blogs, etc. Many people don't use reader at all and just get an email notification when you post, so they will never follow you. You can take your subscriber stats and add that to your followers and get a better representation.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #64
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Following has other functions in Reader as well. One of my fave uses of the following feature is that we can share items with each other in Google Reader, which is how I've found many wonderful products and new blogs to be addicted to. When you're in Google Reader you can just click share with note - which I love to do with my friends when I have time to look at my reader

So it definitely is different from just pure analytics of who is reading your blog - I totally agree. Google is like candyland for stampers

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #65

Okay...dumb question here. What is google reader. I've heard of it, but I'm not really sure what it is and where do I find it? Is it on my blog? Or do I have to put it there somehow?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Okay...dumb question here. What is google reader. I've heard of it, but I'm not really sure what it is and where do I find it? Is it on my blog? Or do I have to put it there somehow?

It's not a dumb question at all!

It's like an "inbox" for all the blogs you read. You add their addresses in there and then you can read ALL the blogs you like in one place without cluttering your email or site hopping.

Also, you can add your own keywords to posts you have read and have access to them forever with just a search. You'd love it.

I have about 80 squillion subscriptions though - so don't get all excited and do that or you'll have 1000 unread every day

Love Splitcoast?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #67
Glitter Guru

I had no clue what it was either until I started my Blog almost a year ago and it's the handiest thing. Sometimes I will come across a Blog when I am blog-surfing and don't want to have email updates everytime the Blogger does a new post (otherwise my Inbox might explode!) so I just add their Blog to my Google Reader (there are other brands of Readers out there - not just Google) by clicking "follow" on their Blog and then I can check back in my Reader in a week, a month, whatever and see what they have - it still stays there in your Reader - maybe a bit like having today's newspaper and yesterday's and the day before etc.

Some Bloggers choose "partial" feeds and not "full feeds" so that when you look at the Blogger's post in your Reader, you WON'T get the full post - just the first few lines - so that you need to visit their Blog to read the full post. But that's getting more technical. I have chosen "partial" for mine at this stage because I would prefer people visited my Blog as I am a bit of a newbie on the block.

My Gallery My Blog

Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #68

I'd be careful with the partial feeds - many people will just unsub because they can't see your content. The point of Reader is to make it easy for people to read your posts and if they have a lot of blogs in there, odds are they won't make an exception for yours.

It doesn't affect your subscriber numbers, etc. If you have Google Ads or other ads on your blog you want people to see, you can always add them at the end of the feed so that people still see those without leaving reader.

Also, if partial feeds bother you in your reader, but you want to keep the subscriptions, there is a Firefox add-on that will let you see all of the content even if the blogger has chosen only a partial feed. So in that instance also, you're still not getting people to click over to your blog, so in my opinion, the partial feed isn't worth it.

Just my two cents though. I think every blogger has different goals and needs to do the best thing for the particular type of content they publish...

Love Splitcoast?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #69
Forum Fanatic

I don't usually read blogs in reader, but I do sometimes if I'm backed up. I don't bother with partial feeds. I mark them read, even though they aren't, and move on.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #70
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I don't usually read blogs in reader, but I do sometimes if I'm backed up. I don't bother with partial feeds. I mark them read, even though they aren't, and move on.
Same here, Gale. I like seeing the post in my reader so I can decide if I want to take the next step (and time) to click over and make a comment.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understandblue View Post
It's not a dumb question at all!

It's like an "inbox" for all the blogs you read. You add their addresses in there and then you can read ALL the blogs you like in one place without cluttering your email or site hopping.

Also, you can add your own keywords to posts you have read and have access to them forever with just a search. You'd love it.

I have about 80 squillion subscriptions though - so don't get all excited and do that or you'll have 1000 unread every day
Thanks for your help! One more question...when I'm on my blog on my dashboard about 1/2 way down in the center of the page I have an area that says 'Reading List'. In this area I can see a small bit (and a photo) of the most recent blog post of the blogs I am following. This isn't google reader, is it? I'm thinking not because I just looked back again and I see a link just below the 'Reading List' area that says- 'view in google reader'

So what is the difference between my 'reading list' and google reader?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #72

Quote:
Thanks for your help! One more question...when I'm on my blog on my dashboard about 1/2 way down in the center of the page I have an area that says 'Reading List'. In this area I can see a small bit (and a photo) of the most recent blog post of the blogs I am following. This isn't google reader, is it? I'm thinking not because I just looked back again and I see a link just below the 'Reading List' area that says- 'view in google reader'

So what is the difference between my 'reading list' and google reader?

Correct - all of the blogs you follow are automatically added for you in reader if you choose. When you sign up for reader you'll see the difference - instead of those little snippets you'll see the full blog post and photos of all the blogs you either add as subscriptions in there or the ones you follow.

If you have a blogger account, you already have a reader account - you just have to hop in to get started... www.google.com/reader

You will love it!

Love Splitcoast?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #73

Quote:
Correct - all of the blogs you follow are automatically added for you in reader if you choose. When you sign up for reader you'll see the difference - instead of those little snippets you'll see the full blog post and photos of all the blogs you either add as subscriptions in there or the ones you follow.

If you have a blogger account, you already have a reader account - you just have to hop in to get started... www.google.com/reader

You will love it!
Thank you for helping me. I'm off to check it out. Usually my husband helps me with my computer questions, but he doesn't understand how blogging works.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #74
Glitter Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'd be careful with the partial feeds - many people will just unsub because they can't see your content. The point of Reader is to make it easy for people to read your posts and if they have a lot of blogs in there, odds are they won't make an exception for yours.

It doesn't affect your subscriber numbers, etc. If you have Google Ads or other ads on your blog you want people to see, you can always add them at the end of the feed so that people still see those without leaving reader.

Also, if partial feeds bother you in your reader, but you want to keep the subscriptions, there is a Firefox add-on that will let you see all of the content even if the blogger has chosen only a partial feed. So in that instance also, you're still not getting people to click over to your blog, so in my opinion, the partial feed isn't worth it.

Just my two cents though. I think every blogger has different goals and needs to do the best thing for the particular type of content they publish...
Oo, I didn't realise that people might unsub because of partial feeds. Eeek!! I only have about 55 followers in Google and about 10 others via Feedburner. My Google feed was already a full feed - but Feedburner which I only recently added to my Blog was partial - so today I changed Feedburner to full feeds. I can't afford to lose any followers and want to make my Blog personable and easy. Thanks to the other posters who indicated they don't like partial feeds too. That's what I love about SCS - you get all different opinions, advice and plenty of feedback to help you on your journey. I wouldn't have known otherwise!!

My Gallery My Blog

Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #75
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
I have been blogging since March last year and have gained followers by doing the Challenges here on SCS as I get more views for my cards that way. When I post my card here at SCS, I add a link directly to my card on my Blog - get lots of visitors from doing that.

I also enter quite a few competitions outside SCS and this seems to generate followers too. I also post some of my cards on Flickr to several stamp company's galleries with a link to my Blog with the card, and I have gained several Followers that way too (and discovered lots of other blogs in the process too!).

It is also helpful when you do a post, to name the post something that allows Search Engines to find your Blog, for eg: when I post a card with a particular company's stamp, instead of just saying "another birthday card" for the post name, I will include the stamp name or Cuttlebug folder name in that post name - say something like: "Penny Black Where's Dinner boy's birthday card" or "Stampendous Birthday Balloons boy's 7th birthday card". When someone types something like "Penny Black Where's Dinner" in a search engine, your post name (if it is more specific) will be more likely to be found than if you just use a generic post name. Hope that makes sense. I learnt this from a computer geek who writes a column about computers and blogs in our national newspaper. Stop by my Blog and look at my Post Names to give you some more examples of what I mean.
HOW do you get your blog address in the comments section when you are uploading to splitcoast? There isn't this kind of box where you can select the link, so I think you have to know the code and mine isn't working.

Ribbon Carousel and the Ribbon Carousel Monthly Challenge
Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #76
Glitter Guru

Hi Corinna,

When I type in my details on SCS about how I made my card, I simply type "You can find this card on my Blog at this post here", then after having right-clicked the address of my card on my Blog and selected "copy", I then "paste", ie: right click again and select "paste" it in so it looks like this which is my latest card I uploaded: Instead of Ironing Blogspot: La La Land: Marci Ballerina Easel card I hope that makes some sort of sense - apologies if it doesn't. I don't do anything other than that and I don't know how to insert it with HTML code so you see something like "My Blog" and not all the "http....etc" like I have, but when you click on it, it goes to their blog. I am sure one of the other posters on this thread would know or maybe they can explain better what I was trying to explain.

My Gallery My Blog

Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #77
Glitter Guru

Hmmm, I just noticed that when I posted my last message, the link that I copy and paste for my Blog didn't paste like it does when I upload my card, so now my message probably doesn't make any sense! I will do the link again, but add a few extra spaces in between some of the letters so you can see what it looks like when I cut and paste it (just ignore the spaces between everything - the link does NOT have any spaces):

http : / / instead-of-ironing.blogspot.com /2011 /03 / la-la-land-marci-ballerina-easel-card . html

If it doesn't look right this time, I am sure someone else can explain how you do it.

My Gallery My Blog

Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #78

Smile

Here's a picture of what you need to type in the gallery to make a formatted link

Ps - color doesn't work in the gallery, but that format works for the forums

Love Splitcoast?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #79
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Here's a picture of what you need to type in the gallery to make a formatted link

Ps - color doesn't work in the gallery, but that format works for the forums
Thanks Lydia! I am going to go fix the pics I uploaded last night!

Ribbon Carousel and the Ribbon Carousel Monthly Challenge
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #80
Rubber Obsessor

If you decide to follow someones blog, be sure to leave a comment first. If you don't , when the blog owner clicks on your photo your blog won't show up, just a list of blogs you are following. The blogger can click on your comment ID and go to your blog from there. I have my blog with blogger and only learned this last week. I often wondered why, when i clicked on a new follower i couldn't see their blog addy to follow their blog. Apparently this is how it works. If they have commented their addy shows up. Hope this helps.