Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #41
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by staramaze
interesting stuff... I use technorati and stat check; and it helps me see WHO is linking to me, even in a post... I like to know; and I have in one case asked someone to remove my link; as their blog contained content I was uncomfortable with and didn't want to appear to endorse.

But because I am constantly checking I have rarely asked someone if I could link to them; And I link out to a TON of people! I figured others were also checking their stats and link backs too... I always just thought someone will let me know if they didn't want to be marketed via link from my blog and if they wanted me to remove the link I would; without being offended.

I would however ALWAYS ask someone before I used a blog link in a post... like a featured stamper or something. This has happened to be a couple times; and while I was flattered; and would have likely given my consent, I was disappointed I was not asked.
Ok this explains how you knew I was talking about you...LOL
Now I guess I better go ask for permission to link people to my blog.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #42
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweleintn
Ok this explains how you knew I was talking about you...LOL
Now I guess I better go ask for permission to link people to my blog.
Too cute! Did you think I was stalking you?

It is interesting what people link to on my blog; sometimes it's not even stamping related... but a picture of my son or something... weird and sometimes creepy. It's good to know who is talking about you!

I should clairify; your post was GREAT; and we are in a blogger's swap together... so we already have an agreement to swap posts/links... what you did was absolutely fine! And 99.9% of the time I love a link!

I should further clarify that I do not ask permission to link to blogs in most cases... and I think that is ok. But I do recomend that all bloggers use a service like Technorati or Statcounter (or both as I do) to track blog hits; where your hits come from, link backs and more... This information has been invaluble to my blog marketing and it's FREE!

Another cool Blog service is Crazy Egg. It shows you exactly WHERE your visitors click and read... really cool. You can get a free trial. This helped show me what I could eliminate from my blog... what my readers seemed to like and what they did not.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #43
Hardware Hotshot

I should even FURTHER clairify (because I JUST got an email asking me) that anyone HERE on SCS is welcome to link to me; no need to ask...

Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #44
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittl1321
it's just that my blog has my list of blogs I click on each day so I can read them. It's really not there for anyone else to use but me. - it's the easiest way for me to keep track of every site I visit each day. If my "readers" click them too, that's secondary.

ditto - that's my thinking! I still think it's weird/ I link to lots of different people and I don't care what their religion is.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)
Old 01-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #45
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
ditto - that's my thinking! I still think it's weird/ I link to lots of different people and I don't care what their religion is.
I think the difference of opinion in this whole thread is that we are using blogrolls in two different ways.
For me a blogroll (list of other blogs) is a list I provide to my readers recommending blogs I feel are great. When I want to read these blogs, I don't actually use the blogroll on my site to read them. I use Bloglines or my new IE7 browser to read my list of favorite blogs. I read alot more blogs than I post on my blogroll on my website.
If the reason you have the blogroll is that you can easily find what you read on a regular basis (and not necessarily just for your readers) then I can understand why you wouldn't feel that permission was necessary to post them.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 01-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #46
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have a blog, but if I did, I would want to know who was advertising mine. If there just happened to be something objectionable to me on their site, I'm not sure I'd want my name there.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #47
Insane Embellisher

I've linked people and never asked either. I don't mind if any stampers add me to there blog list. I think it would be nice
Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #48
Insane Embellisher

It would seem to me that if you are blogging on line for the whole universe to see, you wouldn't mind a link or two to increase blogging traffic, if you don't want people to read it, maybe one should stick to a paper diary and hide it under the mattress. One should take off a link if they ask you to....which is only the nice thing to do....but how weird....what's the point of blogging then?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #49
Hardware Hotshot

For those of you who need an easy way to read your favorite bogs... try Google Reader. It's awesome! It's a list of all your blogs; highlighting all those with updates! Then each blog opens on that same page... so you don't have to open and close a bounch of wondows or waste time visiting blogs with no new content.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #50
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to MyPrecious

Well, most of the time, I do ask permission to place the person's blog link on my blog -- I better go double check and make sure that I asked permission from everyone! Most of the links on my blog are personal friends -- but some I did check with to be sure!

I am honored when I find my blog or even a link to my SCS gallery out in cyberspace!

http://freckledfun.blogspot.com
Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Fascinating. I have to be honest. I just assumed that it was ok, until someone asked permission to put my blog as a link on theirs. I was way flattered, but also realized that I probably was out to lunch on the blog etiquette. Of course I was -- I'm 54! I still wonder how they get the little people inside my TV screen!! Anyway, now I ask.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #52
Dirty Dozen Alumni

If anyone here on SCS wants to link to my blog, it is completely fine with me. I have had a few people ask permission and thats fine too.
My personal opinion is that, by doing a blog, you are out in the public domain - you want people to read your blog and see your blog and know that people might link to, reference, and share (hopefully, not steal ) things from your blog with other people. That is just how this cyberspace neighborhood works!
Some of the greatest blogs I have found are through links on other people's blogs! And, yes, I am a blog junkie
Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #53
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Jeepers, this whole thing is news to me too. (Thanks, Beth, for clueing me in about this thread!) I guess I thought that by putting "Blogs to Browse," I was just listing ones that I often checked--not meaning to indicate in any way that they knew me or placed a stamp of approval on me. On the other hand, **I would be glad to remove any link that someone does not want**--just LMK. I can see about 20 people getting a ton of e-mails to have to sort through if we all start asking!
My SCS Gallery
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #54
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedesigns
...I guess I thought that by putting "Blogs to Browse," I was just listing ones that I often checked--not meaning to indicate in any way that they knew me or placed a stamp of approval on me. On the other hand, **I would be glad to remove any link that someone does not want**--just LMK....
Ditto what she said!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #55
Forum Fanatic

I'm w/ the "If you wanna add a link to my blog then go ahead!" camp - ppl don't need to ask permission (as long as their blog is stamping related - if it's something else I *would* like to see it first!!)
Design Team Member for My Favorite Things
Old 01-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #56
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrecious
Well, most of the time, I do ask permission to place the person's blog link on my blog -- I better go double check and make sure that I asked permission from everyone! Most of the links on my blog are personal friends -- but some I did check with to be sure!

I am honored when I find my blog or even a link to my SCS gallery out in cyberspace!

http://freckledfun.blogspot.com
Oh and Beth *please* DON'T remove the one to mine (I can't remember if you asked or not!) - I always get a giggle when I see it!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #57
immzw4

I don't blog yet, but I started creating web pages as part of my job way back in 1994, when HTML was nothing more than a handful of tags and the only choices were background images (anyone remember jelly beans?) and color/size of text. I never remember there being a rule about asking if you could link to other pages. Maybe because it was in higher ed, it was assumed that a link from our departmental page to other universities was okay. But this is the first I've heard about geeks asking permission. I thought geeks were too geeky to consider any social graces important, even netiquette didn't really exist in 1994. I know a lot of sites that are nothing more than lists of links to other sites. I use those kinds of sites a lot to keep my bookmarks from getting too cluttered.

I would think since it's the internet, and you can't control who links to you and who doesn't, the courtesy to ask would be nice, especially in a community like a stamping community, but everyone has to realize if they put their stuff out there, even if they try to hide it, it's there and it's public and there isn't a whole heck of a lot anyone can do about how others use their URL in links. I try very hard not to put anything online that I wouldn't want the entire world to know because the truth is, someday, the whole world just might. I have read the horror stories about people blogging and their bosses finding it, even though they thought they were anonymous and they thought their blog was hidden. YIKES!

For the record, if I ever decide to blog, I will ask permission first. I just don't know how anyone could expect it on the open internet.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #58
Matboard Maniac

When I first started my blog my hubby asked if I was going to ask permission to post the links to other people's blogs that I frequent...we looked at eachother and said...I'm sure they won't mind...than I saw this link on another blogger's blog & I was like oh oh...better remove everyone's links on my blog...so that's what I've done...I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. I on the other hand would be flattered to have someone post my link on their blog...flattery right? Who doesn't like flattery...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to SunshineMama

I'm in the same camp that says, "If you want to add my blog to your blogroll, go for it! You don't need to ask as long as it's stamping and scrapping related. I'd be flattered. "

Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #60
Matboard Maniac

Talking

Personally I only think that it can benefit you in a positive way...sure, I use my blog for family, etc, but, I also have this blog for my customers, my friends, etc for ideas, inspiration and of course maybe just increase my business...so yes, go ahead add me to your blogroll!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #61
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutez
When I first started my blog my hubby asked if I was going to ask permission to post the links to other people's blogs that I frequent...we looked at eachother and said...I'm sure they won't mind...than I saw this link on another blogger's blog & I was like oh oh...better remove everyone's links on my blog...so that's what I've done...I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. I on the other hand would be flattered to have someone post my link on their blog...flattery right? Who doesn't like flattery...

Michelle!
I wouldn't go as far as removing all your links.... this is not a crime! Just ask people in the future!

Don't worry about it. It's really just a "guideline", not a "rule"... Think Barbossa's quote in Pirates of the Caribbean "...the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

ho ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 01-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #62
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Thanks Michelle! I thought I'd remove them until I get around to asking everyone...I had ALOT posted...I enjoy going thru everyone's blogs each day...so many good ideas and lots of inspiration...so until than I'll just leave it as it is!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #63
Compulsive Stamper

I don't have my own blog yet, but I deal with them on a daily basis in my job (PR). I've never heard of such a thing as asking permission to link out to them. Most bloggers know that links to their blogs contributes to better search results. I think you did the right thing by taking the link to that particular blog down, but I wouldn't worry about the others!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #64
Stampin' Fool

Like others have said, I think it is very flattering when people link to my blog and I don't expect people to ask my permission to do so.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #65
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Laycock
Michelle!
I wouldn't go as far as removing all your links.... this is not a crime! Just ask people in the future!

Don't worry about it. It's really just a "guideline", not a "rule"... Think Barbossa's quote in Pirates of the Caribbean "...the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

I'll drink to that!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #66
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
...!

Well if it's good enough for the pirates it's good enough for me
Old 01-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #67
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Michelle!

I think that could be my life statement!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I have a blog that I sometimes post on...usually just my friends go and look at it...I think I have about 3 posts - LOL. But anyway, I have links to MY favorite places on the web. I never thought about asking permission and it's not like it's a popular place on the web. But I do have a link to a couple of my favorite blogs. I hope this is ok with you...Julie HRR and Joan from Paperlicious....if it's not I'll remove the links.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to stampmouse

Quote:
One more thing...

With regards to Splitcoastbloggers... if I notice that someone's blog isn't up there and they haven't yet asked me to add it, I always ask them first before adding them to the club.
oh that might have been me I emailed you a few days ago so I will pm you instead
Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #70
Embossing Fanatic

I'm a new blogger ,and I will let you guys know, I think it is a form of flattery. I hope you guys don't mind but I have some of your blogs on mine as I LOVE to see what you guys create and what's going on in your world... call me inquisitive (or nosy hehehe) =)

Nothing bad at my site... just me talking away! I've got paper trufflez, jessica of the faerey! heheh and the bunny saver off the top of my head! If any of you want me to take you off let me know!

thanks!

bobbie =)
~*~*~InspiredByInk~*~*~ my blog... but no inspiration yet... just posts about my sick boy! lol. Kinda puts a dent in my 'inspiration' time! hehe
Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #71
Cardstock Collector

I think if someone does not want you to link them they should state that on their blog. I love too read my feed back & see that there has been so many people viewing it!

Stephanie

http://creativeexpressionsbystephanie.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #72
Matboard Maniac

Yikes! It never even occured to me that I should ask permission first before I post a link to someones blog I failrly new at it but my blog links to Julie HRR, Amy R, Erika M, Michelle L, Inking with Val and Nancy's Creative Mess....if that's not okay I'll remove them I am personally flattered when I see my link on someone else's blog.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #73
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to SunshineMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by buglady
Yikes! It never even occured to me that I should ask permission first before I post a link to someones blog I failrly new at it but my blog links to Julie HRR, Amy R, Erika M, Michelle L, Inking with Val and Nancy's Creative Mess....if that's not okay I'll remove them I am personally flattered when I see my link on someone else's blog.

It's totally okay with me, Terri. I'm flattered that you'd put a link to me on your blog.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #74
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
It's fine w/ me too - AND I have a link to *your* blog under my "Sites that link here" list
Old 01-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #75
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Mine is about the same ... I link to all the ones I think it is great... I hope they don't mind. My list is ever growing.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #76
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, just saw this!

I too was unaware of the whole *permission* thing. My links are to bloggers who have commented on my blog and some blogs that I read as well. I don't list all the blogs that I read, since there are sooo many but I just thought it would be nice to link back to a few that link me.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to reneejul1

I have never asked the people that I link to my blog. I have SCS galleries and everything, and when they find out, they are always flattered to have someone think it is awesome enough to link, makes 'em feel *special*.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #78
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to reneejul1

A little toot for me - I WOULD NOT AT ALL be offended if you wanted to link me on your blogs, permission not needed from me ...
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #79
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneejul1
A little toot for me - I WOULD NOT AT ALL be offended if you wanted to link me on your blogs, permission not needed from me ...
I don't think my blog is linkworthy, but ditto what you said, Renee. I don't mind SCS'ers linking my blog on their blogs. I'd be flattered.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #80
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Yahoo to imchatty

Holy Cow! I never thought of this before. I started a Wednesday Spotlight on my blog where I spotlight one of my favs and I never thought to ask them permission. Guess I will from now on. Oppps. Sorry if anyone is offended.

I personally would find it totally flattering that I am an inspiration to someone out in blogville and they wanted to link to me! No need to ask me for permission.