Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree965Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #6041
Pearl-ExPert

Whew....there was so much chatter today and I missed out on it all! Had a eye appointment in the city - long day once again.
I'll catch up tomorrow on all the chatter though!

Kelly - teacher's gifts! Maybe that just need to be our DISCUSSION OF THE WEEK!!!!!!
Paige used to teach so I'm sure she has some great ideas on this.......WAVING to PAIGE!
I saw something really cute for a teacher the other day either on a blog or Pinterest.....but am too tired to even try to remember what it was. Let me sleep on it though and maybe I'll remember................SO................

DISCUSSION OF THE WEEK................Kelly's gifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #6042
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry - can't help - it's not a done thing here to take gifts to the teacher That was one headache I didn't have to cope with.
mschoener likes this post.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #6043
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidty View Post
Maggie- the cats are really lucky to have found your yard! You take such good care of all of them!

Kelly- darling pic on FB of your son and post flour fight- that happened once when I was in HS- we were making bread. It is nice to have friends in HS that have fun like that and not have to choose not to drink or whatever.....

Yep- the DT did not want me, but thankfully for me- cause I was asked shortly thereafter to do TJ's, and I could never do more than that- I am crazy enough already - hehehe!

Darlene- I stayed up and made a card- which I just put in the mail to you!
So sorry I am so tardy! And, I hope you like it- I am re-purposing your envelope- so it will come in that : )

Off to run an errand, then dinner- I am trying one from Pintrest in the crockpot- chicken, salsa, black beans and brown rice..... mmmm it smells really good. I am going to make sweet corn with it. Then, off to sort more....... My youngest- tackling her room first- then my eldest daughter- she is such a girlie girl! I take pictures with the phone and message them to the kids- keep or save- one chance yes or no......hehehehe

Have a great day all!
Shelly
And you are a FABULOUS part of the TJ team! I'm always in awe whenever I get one of the newsletters to see all the marvelous creations in them. One of these days when I'm retired, I fully intend to spend time trying out some of those techinques. Now it just seems that I'm always pressed for time trying to get a card made.

Dinner sounds yummy.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #6044
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 View Post
Shelly, you are such a good mommy! Your crockpot dishes sound DELISH!! I love each ingredient you mentioned ('cept the chicken for me, but I make it all the time for the family!) Crockpot cookin' is simply wonderful - I haven't used mine in a long time, but it's delish!

We are home! YAY! little man asked for Spanish cuisine for his bday dinner out - I had made his cake (Minecraft Creeper cake, it came out wicked bad! But he LOVED it!!) Like that will NOT be photographed, lol!!) We came home for cake, ice cream and presents. Now I'm exhausted and ready for bed!

OKAY, veteran moms! I have a question for you all! As you may know, I have 3 December daughters - not planned but God-designed, lol - so our Decembers are HECTIC!! Not to mention their school shows, plays, the holidays, yikes .... I am already shopping for Christmas. I have to be done by Thanksgiving!

So that leaves teachers! What are some of your tried and true gifts you have MADE for the teachers? I look back at all the years and we've either done the class ceramic plate, photo collages and frames, aprons and satchel bags ........ of course, candies, gift cards,e tc but what have you MADE or seen made? What have you liked that you might have seen in another classroom for the teacher like that likes the sustainable type gifts? I would love your input and/or ideas of what you have made in the past! Thx!!!
I had to Google that cake that you made. Really cute boy one. I'm sure he loved it.

I'm zero when it comes to teacher ideas. I don't even remember what we did (if anything) for teachers when my kids were in school. Things were so different back in the day.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #6045
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to MiamiKel4

Lynn! Wake up! I need your ideas! LOL!! I actually have one, that I used a few years ago, but don't want to repeat it - it was a handpainted stool with the kids names/thumbprints as bugs. Absolutely adorable, got rave reviews, but need something different this time! I would just love to give her something that is from the kids (Ie handprints, etc) she has a plate, framed print, etc ... it just has to be something 'personal' and sustainable but I just can't grasp anything. PLMK what you ladies think up!

And a good morning to all! I'm hoping to get to the track in a bit. I WAY overate yesterday and feeling it today - blech! I have to get crafty, too! My Cabana is a disaster at the moment and I can't find anything in a quick glance, I have to dig through piles, lol! So unlike me, I do not like messes at all!! I just don't have time to organize it right now

PAIGE! I hope you stop in soon - I would love to hear what your teacher experience has for me to learn!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #6046
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Lynn! Wake up! I need your ideas! LOL!! I actually have one, that I used a few years ago, but don't want to repeat it - it was a handpainted stool with the kids names/thumbprints as bugs. Absolutely adorable, got rave reviews, but need something different this time! I would just love to give her something that is from the kids (Ie handprints, etc) she has a plate, framed print, etc ... it just has to be something 'personal' and sustainable but I just can't grasp anything. PLMK what you ladies think up!

And a good morning to all! I'm hoping to get to the track in a bit. I WAY overate yesterday and feeling it today - blech! I have to get crafty, too! My Cabana is a disaster at the moment and I can't find anything in a quick glance, I have to dig through piles, lol! So unlike me, I do not like messes at all!! I just don't have time to organize it right now

PAIGE! I hope you stop in soon - I would love to hear what your teacher experience has for me to learn!
Does she live in a home or an apartment? If a home, maybe you could do one of those garden stones that you can put a hand print in and decorate it. My youngest DD and DGC made one for me and I love it. Wish I had one from the other DD and her kids too.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #6047
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Everyone!

Kelly, all I can say is no apples! Teachers get way too many things with apples on them! I loved things I could use in my classroom. Some favorites that come to mind:
a painted wooden tote for storing art supplies. I received a wonderful full denim apron with big pockets - I did a lot of crafts with my students and used this on crafting/painting days. One year I received a large quilted tote bag that was handmade - loved it! The last few years we discouraged gifts because so many of our families are not well off and struggle financially.
I loved when I received game boards for the classroom. And books. We have a book fair close to the holidays at our school and one year an anonymous parent had the secretary ask me to make a list of books I would like for the classroom. Imagine my surprise when I opened a big box of books.
I'll try to think of other ideas.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #6048
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
Does she live in a home or an apartment? If a home, maybe you could do one of those garden stones that you can put a hand print in and decorate it. My youngest DD and DGC made one for me and I love it. Wish I had one from the other DD and her kids too.
A 2 story home, Maggie! I love this idea!! I had earmarked it for the Mother's Day time area for maybe homemade ones for the kids to make to take home, but that's a good idea, too - maybe for the spring time!! One year I painted a flower pot with their names and made pencil 'flowers' - cute as all get up!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #6049
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Paige, thank you! What fabulous ideas! I know what you mean about apples - they say every year at our room parents meetings "Dont mug the teacher!" Meaning no mugs, apples, etc ... LOL!! We always include each and every child, specifically to what you said, you just never know someone's financial situation - what's $5 to someone in throwaway Starbucks could be lunch for the entire week for someone else, you just never know ...

So, I'm loving the idea of a bag or apron - painting, sadly, they go to art class and speciality areas so we don't get messy too often but she can use a bag anytime! We have Book fair next week! All the teacher's get a 'wish list' and the parents are really good about getting the books on her list .... can you tell me more about your painted wooden tote? I'm intriqued!!

Anything at all that comes to mind, please ladies - let me know! And Shelly, I think your daughter is a teacher, too? Thanks girls! I appreciate it!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #6050
Pearl-ExPert

Kelly, maybe a better term for the wooden tote would be a caddy. Think like a carpenter's tool caddy but smaller. It had a handle and then was painted. The sides, front, back and handle were decorated with painted motifs. The caddy had sections and I kept extra glue bottle, scissors, etc in there. It made it easy to store/pass out supplies for those that needed them.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #6051
Forum Fanatic

Default Hello!

Teachers gifts- One year we made sweatshirts for the teachers- cut the front open and put the kids hands traced on fabric around the opening on both sides- cute- have to have a sewer in the group....but it was little kids......

The other thing I love to do is make the cookies or soup in a jar, attach a Pampered Chef Mini Spatula and make a tag with the directions.

Trying to stay cool- it is 90 + humid so feels > 100 - not sure how you ladies in Tx do it in the summertime!!!

Off to sort more!

Shelly
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #6052
Pearl-ExPert

Kelly, sounds like you've already gotten some great ideas! Like Maggie - been too long ago for me and Maxine, even if y'all don't do that there I'm sure you can think of something cute. I just cannot remember what I saw or where it was. I keep thinking it was some type of wooden square thing that held pencils, pens, etc....but was decorated with DP and such. I love all of Paige's ideas and Shelly's about the sweatshirts. Don't think you'd have a need for a sweatshirt in Miami though! LOL! Also like the idea of the stepping stones. CUTE! You can always buy those big canvas bags at Michaels and decorate them yourself. Maybe even stamping each child's name on it with alphabet stamps. Let me think a bit more but like Paige said, anything for the classroom would be wonderful. Depending on how much you want to spend, maybe "donate" a book in each child's name too. I'll think on it.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #6053
Pearl-ExPert

Checking in for the day!

Maggie, hope your allergies get better soon!

Being very lazy today - but did manage to get clothes folded and put away, bathroom cleaned, and kitchen clean enough! LOL! Off to try to create I think.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #6054
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Hi Everyone!

Kelly, all I can say is no apples! Teachers get way too many things with apples on them! I loved things I could use in my classroom. Some favorites that come to mind:
a painted wooden tote for storing art supplies. I received a wonderful full denim apron with big pockets - I did a lot of crafts with my students and used this on crafting/painting days. One year I received a large quilted tote bag that was handmade - loved it! The last few years we discouraged gifts because so many of our families are not well off and struggle financially.
I loved when I received game boards for the classroom. And books. We have a book fair close to the holidays at our school and one year an anonymous parent had the secretary ask me to make a list of books I would like for the classroom. Imagine my surprise when I opened a big box of books.
I'll try to think of other ideas.
That's so funny what you said about the apple. I have a great niece who is just starting her teaching career. She has a 2nd grade class. She posted a picture on FB of an apple in a ziploc baggie that one of her students brought to her.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #6055
Quacker Stamper

It was a busy day at the office for me today. My boss was gone again at his arbitration hearing so at least it was quiet.

He did leave me a project to do - a speech in Power Point. I'm not too savvy about PP, but I'm learning and learned something new today. I guess I'll see tomorrow what he thinks about it. Also had some estate documents to finish up.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #6056
Quacker Stamper

Can you believe that I turned down $100 today: What, you say!!!!!!! We have a new bank in our building and they came to talk to all the employees today trying to get them to open accounts at their bank. If you did, they'd give you $100 in your account. Thing is that you had to open the account with $500. First of all, I bank with the bank that USED to be in our building until the Landlord kind of kicked them out. They raised the rent on them so much that they decided not to stay. They had other branches around in the area, so it wasn't too hard for them to move out. I have my checking account, two savings accounts, my safe deposit box, and home equity loan with the other bank though, and I don't see any reason to add another bank account to the mix.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #6057
Stazon Splitcoast

I. am. tired.

LOL! My son has a tummy virus of some sort and last night a was a doozie! He tossed and turned which had me sleeping with one eye open and an ear peeled - he didn't get up, but not much sleep either

Lil bit of rain here and LOTS of cloudy!

Speaking of rain, listen to this MAJOR boo-boo! My son's bff goes to his school, too, and his mom told me that she was leaving him in aftercare because she didn't want to wake up her baby. And to let her know if it was raining in that area or sunny. NO problem, I'll be there at 3:30. Got there, and yes, torrential rain. So I sent a text and told her. She called me panicked, frantic! I was about to go into a meeting but asked "what happened, what happened?!!" She said "you tell me? What's going on!?!!" After a small silence, I was able to get her to tell me what she was talking about. Instead of *Rain at school*, my phone auto-corrected "RAID at school". Gahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to pay some bills - blech! Maggie, since you are banking and all -- need me to send them your way? Hee hee!! I don't blame you for not switching. The $100 is sweet, yes, but if you are as invested in your current bank, esp with your mortgage, sometimes the hassle isn't worth it. As dad used to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Hugs all around!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #6058
Quacker Stamper

Oh, Kelly, too funny about the phone call. I can understand why she was frantic when she called you! Glad that it was just rain!

Hope your DS gets to feeling better. Is he home from school today?
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
MiamiKel4 likes this post.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #6059
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Mag! He's at school - he went in late today since he didn't have a fever or any other symptoms other than just feeling bleh. He had a project to present today and I would have had a time if he missed that - it's hard for teacher to reroute her routine when someone is out. I hope his day was good!

I did absolutely NOTHING today! What a day ........ cleaned up my kitchen, wiped it all down, did the bathrooms and have sat on this computer for 4 hours!!!!!! Mostly research, and writing, but no exercise, no crafting, nadda ....... I'm sure I should contemplate defrosting dinner
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #6060
Pearl-ExPert

Okay ladies, I am in want of some new Christmas papers for cards. I like both traditional and non traditional colors and patterns. Any new lines you are excited about?

And if there are coordinating stamps even better!

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #6061
Pearl-ExPert

I have just had another delay to surgery - it is now the 1st October - to say I am gutted is a major understatement.....
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #6062
Pearl-ExPert

Maxine........this is horrible - once again!!!!!!!!!!!! We're all really keeping our fingers crossed that October 1st is THE DATE!!!!! This has got to be so frustrating for you I'm sure. Hugs!!!

Kelly, glad it was rain and not a raid! Too funny.

Maggie, what is it they always say.......if it's too good to be true, it probably is! I think you did the best thing about that $100.00 deal. It does sound good but I'd just stick with what I have going.

Paige, I've been looking for Christmas papers, etc......too. I checked at Michaels last week and they had two 6 X 6 paper packs for Christmas - and that was it!!!!!!!!!!! All I'm seeing is Halloween!!! If, and when, I spy some, will holler.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #6063
Forum Fanatic

Default Hello!

I worked today- and worked more on cleaning stuff out of daughters closet- she wants me to send pictures of any teaching clothes that are in her closet- I did- but also reminded her it costs $10.00 per lb to mail.......

Maggie- I would pass on a new acct too.....

Kelly- hope your little guy feels better and that his project went well. I hope you get some sleep tonight!

Paige- I am trying to find ways to use what I already have- but will look forward to seeing what you find : )

I tried out the new envelope board- the sizes are a tad big on the couple of things I tried (A2 is HUGE!) - so will have to tweek my measurements- but do plan on using alot of the unused/hoarded DP I need to get rid of!

Off to bed...

Shelly
Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #6064
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwime View Post
I have just had another delay to surgery - it is now the 1st October - to say I am gutted is a major understatement.....
So sorry to hear this Maxine. I know it's a major frustration not to be getting this done. I sure hope this is the last set back that you have getting this necessary work done.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #6065
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Hey Mag! He's at school - he went in late today since he didn't have a fever or any other symptoms other than just feeling bleh. He had a project to present today and I would have had a time if he missed that - it's hard for teacher to reroute her routine when someone is out. I hope his day was good!

I did absolutely NOTHING today! What a day ........ cleaned up my kitchen, wiped it all down, did the bathrooms and have sat on this computer for 4 hours!!!!!! Mostly research, and writing, but no exercise, no crafting, nadda ....... I'm sure I should contemplate defrosting dinner
Glad to hear the little guy is okay. I know that my grands don't ever want to miss a day of school. It is really hard to make it up.

Great for you. Sometimes it's nice to have a day like that.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #6066
Quacker Stamper

Paige, if you want to buy online, I found a couple paper collections by Wild Rose Studios at 7 Kids College Fund. Bo Bunny has some pretty papers too. The Wile Rose uses Lavendars and purples (my fav colors).
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #6067
Pearl-ExPert

Quick post here.........just thought I'd tell you that I'm the Featured Stamper over at Paperie Designs Studio (Paperie Designs' Studio). Pretty excited about that. They have a pretty cool blog.

Will be back in a while...........
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #6068
Pearl-ExPert

Woohoo Lynn Congratulations!

Great interview too!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #6069
Pearl-ExPert

What a fabulous blog and interview Lynn - congratulations Happy for you!!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #6070
Pearl-ExPert

Paige and Maxine......thanks so much! Yep, it was pretty exciting for me!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #6071
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlynn View Post
Quick post here.........just thought I'd tell you that I'm the Featured Stamper over at Paperie Designs Studio (Paperie Designs' Studio). Pretty excited about that. They have a pretty cool blog.

Congratulations Lynn! That's fabulous. And such cute cards they featured.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #6072
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Maggie!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #6073
Forum Fanatic

Default Hello!

Waving hello! Working tomorrow, then out with friends for dinner- hubby is off to the North South football game- I am enjoying a quiet house : )

Maxine- so sorry they R/S your surgery...again! How frustrating!

Lynn- can I have your autograph? Congrats to you on being featured blogger- what a fab write up!

Shelly
Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #6074
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Shelly.......you're in luck, I only give out my autograph on Fridays!!!! LOL!!!

Is everyone ready for the weekend - and have any plans? Nothing going on around here except maybe Jim's two boys and their families hitting here on Sunday. Both are a family of 5 - so I say they get sandwiches if they show up for a meal!!! Maybe even peanut butter and jelly!!! HA!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #6075
Forum Fanatic

Default Hello

Lynn- I had Peanut Butter and Jelly last two nights ago for dinner- toasted- I have hit the point of needing a break from Tomato's and had a taste for PB&J! Too funny!

Oh- Glad I hit Friday for my request! I will be around blog hopping Sunday sometime- I had to make a quick card for a challenge posting tomorrow night.....and need to get to bed : )

Have a great weekend!
Shelly
Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #6076
Gabfest Goddess

Hello Addicted Friends!! I have been off SCS all week and missed chatting with all of you. Looks like I have a lot to catch up on.

I've been swamped at work - more than usual. But it may all ultimately be fantastic! Please spare some positive thoughts and energy for me next Weds morning. I will be giving the second most important presentation of my 28 year career that morning down in Hartford, CT.

At least this time it will be a friendly audience (unlike the other time, years ago) If successful, and the group decides in favor of my proposal, it could increase our org's size almost 3x!! The presentation is the culmination of 4 months of effort by me and our Board.

Anyway, it's a big deal. And yet, it's not as big as the health issues of us and and other loved ones. Maxine: So sorry to learn that your surgery has been pushed back - AGAIN! I can't imagine how upsetting that must be for you!

My special uncle died this week, he and my dad were really close (he's my Mom's sister's husband) Our two families vacationed every year growing up.

My dad is still having issues with recovering from his first surgery, and now has had his remaining ear operated on for skin cancer too. Can you imagine? Both sides of his head are bandaged now, he can't wear his hearing aid...sigh. Now this. He's taking it pretty hard.

Last weekend I put together a box with packets of cards for Mom and packets for Dad, enough for each of them to open 1 card/day for 3 weeks!!! Most of the cards have a short note in them explaining where the card came from (SCS swaps & challenges etc.) and something like: "My friend Terry in WI, Debbie in AK, etc. made this card for xxxx swap/challenge" They enjoy seeing where all the cards come from and seeing everyone's gorgeous work!

It's kind of lame, but hopefully it gives them a reminder that despite being thousands of miles away, I'm still thinking of them.

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Old 09-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #6077
Gabfest Goddess

Shelly:
Thanks for the heads-up on the card!! I didn't make it to the PO Box yesterday, so maybe on Monday it will be there waiting for me Can't wait!!

Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #6078
Gabfest Goddess

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlynn View Post

WAY TO GO LYNN!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #6079
Gabfest Goddess

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Okay ladies, I am in want of some new Christmas papers for cards. I like both traditional and non traditional colors and patterns. Any new lines you are excited about?

And if there are coordinating stamps even better!

Thanks for your help!
LOL.

"I will not buy any more. I will not buy any more. I have enough for 3 years worth of Christmas cards already. I will not buy any more. Well...maybe I will just LOOK at what others are recommending...but I won't BUY anything."

Yeah. Right.

I have no willpower. Or, rather, my family and my job uses up all of my willpower, so when it comes to crafting I cave.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #6080
Quacker Stamper

Good morning Stamp Addicts!

Darlene - I'll keep the good thoughts for your presentation.

Gotta run and do errands before the Pest Control people come at noon.

BBL
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts