Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree965Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #4921
Quacker Stamper

OK Lynn, remember, you asked for it!!!!

It's been quite a day. The new yard man was to come at 10, so I got up at 6 and got out to the grocery store and to gas up my car at 8 and got home at 9:05. Good thing I did because when I got home there was a pick up and lawn trailer parked in front of my house (actually in front of the driveway so I couldn't get in). I tried honking, but then no answer. Got out of the car and no one was in the car so I walked up to the house and saw that the gate was open to the back yard. Walked back there and my old lawn guy was there with 2 of his crew ready to start working. I told him no, not to do anything. I said that he was supposed to have been there on Monday and never showed up so I hired someone else. I left the back yard and started to walk back to the front and told him he had to move this truck so I could get in my garage. As I was walking to my car I also told him that I didn't need him to do my lawn anymore either. He just said okay. But when I went over to get in my car, he walked over to me and wanted to know what the problem was since he had worked for me for so long. I told him that he was supposed to come to my house last Saturday at 11 and I had to call him to get him to come. He probably would not have come if I had not called him. And then he told me he'd come do the work on Monday and then never showed up until today. So he left.

Then about 9:30 the new guy shows up with another guy, and I show him all that I want them to do in the front yard and back yard. He says okay and we go to the front yard. I wanted them to remove some of the old mulch that was around the Oak tree because there's a big hill in the middle of the yard where it doesn't need to be. We settled on how much they would charge me and then they left.

I called my GF from work because she had an Angel Trumpet tree that she was going to give me. I was going to go to the nursery and then swing by her place and pick that up. Well, she was off to work and wouldn't be home until about 4. That was okay. I went to the nursery and got my plants - crepe myrtle and a bunch of other plants for the new flower bed. Got home about 11:30 and had enough time to get everything out of the car and get changed. I had somewhere to be at 1 and I met another GF there and we didn't even know th0e other was going to be there. I called my GF with the tree after I left there and she had dug up the Trumpet tree and had set it out for me, so I swung by her house on my way home and got it. It was much bigger than I thought it was going to be. I could barely squeeze it into my car. It was on the floor in the front and the top reached all the way into the back.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, it's just been that kind of day. I got home about 4 and was waiting for the new yard many to get here. At 5:15 I called to see where he was. It was his house. I talked to one of his kids. Said he was out working and would call him to call me. I didn't hear anything. I had another number I guess was his cell phone, so about 5:35 or so I called it and got him. I really didn't understand the gist of the conversation except that he wasn't coming. Asked about coming at 7. I said that was too late to be getting stuff done here. It's been cloudy all day so it will get dark earlier. I finally asked if he was going to come or not and he said no. So I hung up. I had one more business card from another company, so I called that one and talked to that guy. He was hard to understand too. These guys are all Hispanic. I need to learn Spanish. Anyway, he said he could come tomorrow at 5 to go over what I want. I sure hope that he'll be able to come on Monday and actually do the work. I just hope that he comes tomorrow at 5!

Why is good reliable help so hard to find????
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #4922
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcardmaking View Post
Hello Addicted Friends - I'm back home!!
Sure missed being online here and chatting with each of you. I'll have to go back and catch up.

I did see that Shelly has been out of town helping her parents also. {{hugs & prayers}} for you and them, Shelly! Hoping that you and your mom get some rest and keep your strength up.

I hope to uncover my stamping counter and get crafty time today. Haven't played with paper and ink since the end of April! Sounds like some therapy is in order, hahahaha

Hmmmm, there's a LOT of stuff on my craft counter - only some of it was there when I left home a month ago. Looks like I found where hubby deposited the mail every day
Welcome home Darlene! I hope some of that mail is happy mail for you.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #4923
Die Cut Diva

LOL! What a deal Maggie! Sure hope you can get someone to show up now. I'll keep my fingers crossed this guy works out for you - and actually shows up! Know what you mean about trying to talk to some of the guys too. Thank goodness Jim can speak a little Spanish.....me, not so much and yet about 75 per cent of my case load were Hispanic when I was a Probation Officer. You should have seen me trying to converse with some of them when they couldn't speak English!!! LOL! I think I made up Spanish words as I went along. I always seemed to figure out what they were saying but don't know if they understood a word of what I said! LOL!
Kiwime likes this post.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #4924
Quacker Stamper

Good morning Stamp Addicts. It's a very sultry day here this morning, but so glad I don't live around San Antonio. They got hammered with storms yesterday and have terrible flooding.

I'm working in my stamp room this morning to get my PSC card done. I may try to work a week ahead. If I get my windows on Friday, I'm not going to have time to make a card next weekend. I'll be putting window coverings back up.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #4925
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hello

Hello to al

I was up early today....and decided to just get up out of bed. I was working on posting blog posts to Pintrest from Sweet Stamps- I did all of the DT posts. I find it very inspiring to 'look-see' when I am creating, so like to have all of the pictures in one place : )

Ray went to my parents- left yesterday- I was working. I am glad to be off Monday- i am going to work in the yard- we have to move all of the plants from around the patio- soon to be done- we do not have a date yet. The landscapers and brick people all rely on the weather this time of year, so they can only give estimates for when they are available. We are also not in a hurry in regards to having a party or special event, so I gave them a hopeful date mid June- we'll see........

Maggie- you sure are getting a ton done!!! Oh what a pain to have to pack up everything- I would cry I think....hehehe

Darlene- thanks for the well wishes for my Dad. They moved him Friday to a private rehab hospital, so we are hopeful for much more improvement- we'll see! It is interesting to see the differences in care r/t what your insurance will cover..... He is in a private room, so at least the TV will not be on all night : )
I hope you get some crafty time and that you fins some good stuff in that mail!

Jeanette- Wow- the album is so cool- I bought some stuff to make a smash book, and have not started anything in it at all......!

Maxine- rain is good...feeds the crops and makes the trees and flowers look good.... hehe that is what I tell myself anyway....

Lynn- I have ordered from Blitsy a couple of times- I like their stuff, but find the S&H is high- as it is so many places anymore! I bought all of the distress ink reinkers and Dylusions sprays thru them......

Off to browse and upload some of my cards here- I have not put anything up recently.......

Shelly
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #4926
Pearl-ExPert

I too have bought off Blitsy and find their service good - have to be careful that the S&H doesn't make it more expensive than buying here.

We are going into winter here which is typically wetter than the rest of the year, but I would not say we generally have a 'wet season' as such - we live in what is a temperate climate, and being islands, we don't get the extremes of a continental climate. We do have a cold front coming, dragging up cold from the Arctic, so snow is predicted over the length of the South Island, and on the Central Plateau of the North Island. Our predicted temperature for tomorrow is 8oC - Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! By the sounds of it, it will not be much warmer today either

I got a good day in the studio yesterday with four cards made, two back grounds created and another card thought out/planned. Many thanks to Pinterest for inspiration!!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #4927
Quacker Stamper

I only order from Blitsy if I am getting a really good deal that is worth the shipping cost. Friday I ordered a ton of flowers so it was totally worth it.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #4928
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwime View Post
I too have bought off Blitsy and find their service good - have to be careful that the S&H doesn't make it more expensive than buying here.

We are going into winter here which is typically wetter than the rest of the year, but I would not say we generally have a 'wet season' as such - we live in what is a temperate climate, and being islands, we don't get the extremes of a continental climate. We do have a cold front coming, dragging up cold from the Arctic, so snow is predicted over the length of the South Island, and on the Central Plateau of the North Island. Our predicted temperature for tomorrow is 8oC - Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! By the sounds of it, it will not be much warmer today either

I got a good day in the studio yesterday with four cards made, two back grounds created and another card thought out/planned. Many thanks to Pinterest for inspiration!!
Wow! It seems like it got cold really fast over there.

I worked on a card this morning and got it all done. Now I'm going to try to get one more done this evening. If that happens, I'll be happy. It's a masculine theme and I'm not very good at those. Not much practice.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #4929
Die Cut Diva

Waving with a very short hi. We have storms in the area so I keep the computer disconnected. Will be back tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #4930
Swapper of the Month March 2013

Good Morning Fellow Stamp Addicts!

Oh my, Maggie! That is just crazy about the workers. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the next one!

Lynn, I think you are very clever to be able to make up words that work.

Shelly, thank you! I had such fun with the smash book/journal project. I hope you enjoy working on yours, too!

Maxine, I'm glad our winter is over... hopefully yours won't be too bad.
MelonHeadz OSAAT {PIN}Spirational Challenges Sweet Stampin

My blog: Cre8tive Play
According to Albert Einstein, "Creativity is contagious, pass it on."
Come Chat with Me in the Chit Chat Forum
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #4931
Quacker Stamper

Good morning Stamp Addicts!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #4932
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlynn View Post
Waving with a very short hi. We have storms in the area so I keep the computer disconnected. Will be back tomorrow.
Hope you guys are okay!
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #4933
Quacker Stamper

The new lawn guy came by yesterday. He was running late. I was thinking maybe he wasn't going to show up, so I called him. He had been out in Katy which is about 30 minutes away and got there about 10 minutes after I talked to him.

Showed him everything that I wanted done and no problem. Then he told me how much! Wow! About 1/2 of what the other guy told me. I know it's not nearly enough and I'll probably pay him more. He said he could come Wednesday evening about 5:30 - 6. I told him I got home about 5:45 but if he came earlier he could start and then I'd be home. Can't wait to get this done. And I hired him to mow the lawn starting next week since it was just mowed last week.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #4934
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to MiamiKel4

Good morning, Stamp Addicts!! ::: waving hi! ::: Bet you thought I fell off the face of the earth! In fact, I'm pretty sure I did! Life has just been on overload here - too much stuff, too much too do, never enough time ...

My son finished up 2nd grade - yay! Top Honors all the way around, Principals Honor Roll (straight A's all year!) and a bunch of awards and certificates for being such a faithful little boy with God in his heart first and foremost. His summer starts 2 weeks before his sisters so it will be one less stop on my running around. And then it's banquets, award ceremonies for them, then graduation - wow! Life is spinning!!

My dad was blessed be on this earth for 63 wonderful years before he passed away from cancer, but as a veteran who gave 25 years as a military man, I'm such a proud daughter today! Let's give a shout out and a thanks to all our vets on this day of rememberence!

Big hugs all around!
mschoener likes this post.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #4935
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hello

Kelly- such a nice tribute to your Dad! My Dad was in the Army- and was in the Korean War- or as I just learned from the VA hospital and rehab experience- Korean 'conflict'.....not really a War...... whatever! He has alot of pictures- on his days off, he would go next door to Japan and volunteer at an orphanage.....

My Hubby is headed home today from my Parents- I have a card to make- I am procrastinating for some reason....... hehehe I actually just cleaned the kitchen......instead. I had better go get inky!

Everyone have a great day- stay warm, and safe in the storm in Texas too!

Shelly
mschoener and luvcardmaking like this post.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #4936
Swapper of the Month - February 2014

Happy Memorial Day to my American Friends

Memorial Day 2013 - Freedom Isn't Free! - YouTube

**thinking of you gals often and I am thankful for your recent prayers...♥
God IS GOOD!
...Love yas....!!!** xox
Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #4937
Die Cut Diva

Happy Memorial Day to all who celebrate!

We've had a good three days around here - not anything going on, but good just the same.

Congrats to your son Kelly! That's wonderful. Now, when is graduation?

Maggie, so glad the yard man showed up - hey, he may be worth that extra cost if you can just get someone to come over and do it when it needs it. Yes, it's hard to find good, reliable help.

Maxine, stay warm! 8 degrees!!!! Yikes! I had no idea it got cold like that there. I guess I just assumed it was tropical temps all the time. I lived in Panama for 18 months when my first husband was in the Navy and we had tropical all the time - plus the dreaded rainy season. It was an interesting country - great place to visit but sure wouldn't want to live there I don't think.

Jeanette, how many more weeks now to "send off"! Know you're looking forward to this.

Shelly, that's great that Ray went to your parents for a couple of days. I know he'll be a big help for them! Glad your dad is doing better.

Darlene - again, glad you're back and hope all is going well.

Has anyone heard from Paige lately! I KNOW she's out there somewhere - Waving Hi Paige!!

I really don't have a DOTW - but will just throw out a question I guess. Who has washi tape......do you like it....would you buy more....why not just take a strip of patterned paper and use it instead......is it worth the cost......how would you know what designs to get, etc..................

Have a great day
Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #4938
Stazon Splitcoast

Graduation is June 5th! OMG. I'm so not ready! I'll be a mess. I thought getting through Prom was an ordeal (mostly because it landed the same week as two other major events) but this will be pretty wild. We're hosting the after party as well so it will be fun, fun!

Washi tape - love the stuff! I have buckets of it! I don't use it that often, I'm still a 'newbie' and find it pretty cost effective if you buy it in bulk. Amazon has great deals! I usually pick designs that I can mix and match, and pick them according to colors that I would normally use in card making. However, yes, it is more cost effective to use strips of 'scrap' dsp!! Washi tape just gives it a completely different dimension and feel ~ it's a fun alternative! I think I've made two whole cards with it, lol!

Off to watch a movie with my son that he's been waiting on .... all I really want is a nap!

Hugs!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #4939
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Happy Memorial Day to all who celebrate!

We've had a good three days around here - not anything going on, but good just the same.

Congrats to your son Kelly! That's wonderful. Now, when is graduation?

Maggie, so glad the yard man showed up - hey, he may be worth that extra cost if you can just get someone to come over and do it when it needs it. Yes, it's hard to find good, reliable help.

Maxine, stay warm! 8 degrees!!!! Yikes! I had no idea it got cold like that there. I guess I just assumed it was tropical temps all the time. I lived in Panama for 18 months when my first husband was in the Navy and we had tropical all the time - plus the dreaded rainy season. It was an interesting country - great place to visit but sure wouldn't want to live there I don't think.

Jeanette, how many more weeks now to "send off"! Know you're looking forward to this.

Shelly, that's great that Ray went to your parents for a couple of days. I know he'll be a big help for them! Glad your dad is doing better.

Darlene - again, glad you're back and hope all is going well.
it.
Has anyone heard from Paige lately! I KNOW she's out there somewhere - Waving Hi Paige!!

I really don't have a DOTW - but will just throw out a question I guess. Who has washi tape......do you like it....would you buy more....why not just take a strip of patterned paper and use it instead......is it worth the cost......how would you know what designs to get, etc..................

Have a great day
I hope it all works out. We're supposed to get some rain on Wednesday, but it's only 30% chance and they say to the North of us, so hopefully it'll all work out.

I do have some Washi tape and have used it a little bit. Mostly mine I've gotten from someone. I did buy some Basic Gray tape and I've used that. I'm really more of a ribbon girl.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #4940
Quacker Stamper

It's been quiet here at my house today, but I've been really busy with all sorts of things. I did manage to get the blinds down in the storage room, craft room, bedroom, and one in the computer room. The other one out here I can't get down, so one of the guys will have to do that tomorrow night. I put sheets up at all the windows that had the blinds. I have one roman shade that the guys will have to take down tomorrow night and I'll have to put a sheet up at that window also.

Got some laundry down, watered flowers outside and the tree. Finally got all those ribs I bought a few weeks ago vacuumed sealed and back in the freezer in an organized fashion so I can access some other things in there.

Going to try to get around to blogs tonight too.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #4941

Maggie, I am hoping this yard guy works out... sounds like he's going to. Glad you had a restful day yesterday!

Kelly, BREATHE! Oh my... I still get teary when I think of my own kiddo's graduation. Such an emotional time for me as mom. I'll be thinking of you, for sure!

Shelly, hope you and your DH enjoyed being back together!

Lynn, I leave in a week and a half! EEK!!!

Sweet P, that was beautiful! Thank you!

I have LOTS of Washi tape - love it, but don't really use it to its best potential. I need to think outside the box more with it. I did love the way the page in the smash book turned out - where I put lots of rows of Washi tape on the base to create a colorful background. I think I'll try that on a card sometime, too.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #4942
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ranger View Post

Maggie, I am hoping this yard guy works out... sounds like he's going to. Glad you had a restful day yesterday!

Kelly, BREATHE! Oh my... I still get teary when I think of my own kiddo's graduation. Such an emotional time for me as mom. I'll be thinking of you, for sure!

Shelly, hope you and your DH enjoyed being back together!

Lynn, I leave in a week and a half! EEK!!!

Sweet P, that was beautiful! Thank you!

I have LOTS of Washi tape - love it, but don't really use it to its best potential. I need to think outside the box more with it. I did love the way the page in the smash book turned out - where I put lots of rows of Washi tape on the base to create a colorful background. I think I'll try that on a card sometime, too.
LOL! I said it was quiet, but certainly NOT restful. I was very busy all day with getting blinds down, packing up more stuff in my stamp room, doing laundry and various other household chores.

For those of you who like or would like to try out some Washi tape, Peachy Cheap Deals has some on sale today. If you want to check it out it's www.peachycheapdeals.com. What they have today is vinyl lace tape.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #4943
Stazon Splitcoast

Morning, girls!! Rain, rain here - just took dd14 to school in a monsoon! Oh me oh my, what a ride! I prayed the whole way there and back! I had planned the bank, PO, and a quick trip to take dd16's dress to dry cleaners but uh ... no!

They have a benefit concert tonight for a young girl that has brain cancer They are singing and hoping to raise money for her family as it has pretty much drained their finances, as you can imagine. They traveled to Boston for the surgery and radiation - she'll be an incoming student to the High School next year. We met her at camp last year and such an amazing, sweet girl. God be merciful should He so will it!

I'm SO happy to see the baby birds we have been watching have hatched and are now visible! About a month ago, a mommy pigeon roosted - get this - at the tippy top of our rickety ol hurricane shutters! And this weekend, I saw the heads pop up - two beautiful furry, downy babies!!! It's been a wonderful journey seeing them born and how the birdy family dynamics work - the daddy brings home worms and bugs and feeds her until she is ready to leave them. My son always says "The daddy goes off to work, the mommy stays home - hey, like our family!" lol! I tried to get pictures yesterday but they aren't very good quality ~ what a happy moment!

Washi tape - I won a roll of fabric washi tape a few weeks ago for a random comment on a blog and it's fantastic! First time I've used fabric washi I even used it on a set of swap cards and I was asked if it was ribbon LOVE it! My other ones have come in handy for ......... um .... injuries, too. LOL! I was out and didn't have a band-aid but had a roll of bright pink washi in my purse - a tab of tissue and my washi, and I had a homemade very crafty band-aid, LOL!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #4944
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is mommy birdie! Isn't she wonderful! Such a dedicated mommy - it was pouring rain, and i'm sure the some of that drizzle had to be coming into the nest - what an odd place to chose a nest! 20 years we've been here, we've never had a birdie nest on the shutters! And of course, she cannot be moved so we pray she fares well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skitMys1 022.jpg (25.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #4945
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 View Post
Here is mommy birdie! Isn't she wonderful! Such a dedicated mommy - it was pouring rain, and i'm sure the some of that drizzle had to be coming into the nest - what an odd place to chose a nest! 20 years we've been here, we've never had a birdie nest on the shutters! And of course, she cannot be moved so we pray she fares well!
She looks like the doves I have in my back yard. So sweet. I sure hope the babies do okay in that precarious nest up there.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #4946
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 View Post
Morning, girls!! Rain, rain here - just took dd14 to school in a monsoon! Oh me oh my, what a ride! I prayed the whole way there and back! I had planned the bank, PO, and a quick trip to take dd16's dress to dry cleaners but uh ... no!

They have a benefit concert tonight for a young girl that has brain cancer They are singing and hoping to raise money for her family as it has pretty much drained their finances, as you can imagine. They traveled to Boston for the surgery and radiation - she'll be an incoming student to the High School next year. We met her at camp last year and such an amazing, sweet girl. God be merciful should He so will it!

I'm SO happy to see the baby birds we have been watching have hatched and are now visible! About a month ago, a mommy pigeon roosted - get this - at the tippy top of our rickety ol hurricane shutters! And this weekend, I saw the heads pop up - two beautiful furry, downy babies!!! It's been a wonderful journey seeing them born and how the birdy family dynamics work - the daddy brings home worms and bugs and feeds her until she is ready to leave them. My son always says "The daddy goes off to work, the mommy stays home - hey, like our family!" lol! I tried to get pictures yesterday but they aren't very good quality ~ what a happy moment!

Washi tape - I won a roll of fabric washi tape a few weeks ago for a random comment on a blog and it's fantastic! First time I've used fabric washi I even used it on a set of swap cards and I was asked if it was ribbon LOVE it! My other ones have come in handy for ......... um .... injuries, too. LOL! I was out and didn't have a band-aid but had a roll of bright pink washi in my purse - a tab of tissue and my washi, and I had a homemade very crafty band-aid, LOL!!!
Glad that you made it to and from school safely. I do NOT like to drive in the rain at all and there was a time that I wouldn't. I'd just stay at home. That was when I was a SAHM and didn't have to get out in it.

Will put that sweet girl and her family on my prayer list that she will recover.

LOL! Love your washi tape story. You're very creative.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #4947

Oops, Sorry, Maggie... didn't mean to say restful!

Kelly, what a sweet picture of mama. Love it! I also love your use of washi. Tee Hee!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #4948
Die Cut Diva

Well, it just appears I'm way behind in everything - including washi!!!! Up until today I didn't have any of it! Got my month SSS kit and it's got a roll in it with black mustaches on it! Yikes!!! What to do with it! I'll check out that site to see what all they have this morning Maggie. Loved the band-aid story Kelly. I guess you can kinda look at washi the same as ribbon on a card - without the bow.
It seems everyone has it - but yet you don't use it much. Maybe the more you get the more you'd use it. Do you just tear that stuff or cut it or both?

Loved the picture of the bird. They can build in the strangest places!

Gotta scoot - will check back later.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #4949
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Good morning!

Dropping in again to say hello! Oh Kelly- be safe- I hate driving in pouring rain!
What a fab idea to support another student- I hope your concert is very successful and I hope God wills her to do OK!

Maybe we should have a group challenge to use our unused Washi on a card....... I think mustache Washi sounds adorable!!!

I am going to take the dog out, then be creative a tad...... I have lots of projects to do. I innocently sign up for a Mingle her and a swap there, and next thing I know I have 5 cards to make in 2-3 days......does that happen to you guys too? I am more productive with close deadlines.....

OK- off to get something...accomplished! Ribs for dinner tonight- hubby is back home- what a sweetie to help out my folds- my Mom needs alot of support right now: )

Shelly
Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #4950
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidty View Post
Dropping in again to say hello! Oh Kelly- be safe- I hate driving in pouring rain!
What a fab idea to support another student- I hope your concert is very successful and I hope God wills her to do OK!

Maybe we should have a group challenge to use our unused Washi on a card....... I think mustache Washi sounds adorable!!!

I am going to take the dog out, then be creative a tad...... I have lots of projects to do. I innocently sign up for a Mingle her and a swap there, and next thing I know I have 5 cards to make in 2-3 days......does that happen to you guys too? I am more productive with close deadlines.....

OK- off to get something...accomplished! Ribs for dinner tonight- hubby is back home- what a sweetie to help out my folds- my Mom needs alot of support right now: )

Shelly
Shelly, I saw this in my e-mails and had to come post. I saw you were having ribs for dinner. Do you BBQ or cook in the oven. I just vacuum sealed 12 racks of baby back ribs yesterday. A GF gave me a rub recipe to use to make them in the oven, but I'm wondering how you cook yours.

One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #4951
Die Cut Diva

Shelly, that's a great idea about the washi tape challenge type thing!!! What does everyone think - yes or no??? I've even been looking for instructions on how to make your own tape! Don't know if I want to go to that much trouble or not though. Has anyone made their own tape?

Oh and Maggie, on the ribs - we always just BBQ ours outside but know you can fix them in the oven just don't know exactly how.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #4952
Stazon Splitcoast

Shelly, thank you dear friend! The concert was unbelievably lovely! The rain held for most of it - light misting at first (it's in a garden, but luckily they have an indoor pavillion) SO MANY people! What an incredible turnout and I'm sure they raised much needed money, bless them. I know dh's last hospitalization nearly cost us our entire savings - and that's WITH insurance. I feel for them!

I'm in for Washi tape challenge! Except if it's before June 10th, I'll be late - ROFL! I just am scrambling to do a million things before graduation but feel free to throw down the challenge! I'll join you at a later date!

I'm LOL at the mustache tape - it's the "in" thing right now I even have a mustache stamp that was sent to me, hee hee! I just tear it off, Lynn - I like the torn washi look. It gives it character, I say

Maggie, now I'm wondering what kind of bird she is! THe babies are HUGE!! I snuck out there before leaving and saw them - two of them, so alert. And today was the first day I saw mommy leave them alone and they awaited her to come back. She did! I thought it was a pigeon based on that hooting type noise I hear - hmmmm!

RAIN! OH MY!! Im terrified of driving in the rain! Like petrified!!!! I cringe everytime I know I have no choice! But in Florida, rainy season is May-November and it's at a seconds notice ~ then gone as quickly!

Have a good night, all - off to bed for me!
x0x0
Old 05-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #4953
Die Cut Diva

Kelly, the bird looks like a white wing dove. They hunt them here from the first part of Sept. to Nov. Pretty bird and they look similar to a pigeon but are smaller.

Glad the concert went well. Sad about that young girl.

Washi tape challenge - if everyone decides they want to do it I was thinking like maybe giving everyone from now to July 1st.......and just whenever during that time.
Anyone else have input?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #4954
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Question

Back again..... I have been on the computer too much today.....

I am getting an enormous amount of spam...I have the comments on moderation, but get > 10 a day- yesterday 18! Is anyone else getting this on their blogs??? Just wondering.

Washi by July 1st sounds good to me- looks like I will have to use some now.....instead of just look at it...LOL

Kelley- Wahoo- so glad the concert went well! Yeah!

We have a thunderstorm and the lights have been blinking, so I am going to sign off......got back on to go to FB and update family about Dad

Shelly
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #4955
Pearl-ExPert

Love the sound of a washi tape challenge I neeeeed to use mine - I have some I have bought and some given and some from a magazine enclosure..... and have used it once, I think :-0.

So pleased to hear the concert went well - what a blessing for the family.

I can understand your mothers fatigue Shelly - my DH would be the same about wanting to get home - he is a lousy patient when in hospital.!!

Kelly I just hope that the bird(s) do not leave too many 'calling cards' before they leave!!

We were close to snow here yesterday, (although we got some last year, and it usually only falls here about once in five years) and today is glorious and sunny - still a very cold wind though - one good thing, it got the washing dry outside
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #4956
Gabfest Goddess

Good morning Addicted Friends!!

Washi tape - now there's a topic. About 2 years ago (I think) I saw something somewhere in a book or magazine about Washi tape. At first I had to Google to even know what it was. Then I posted a question in the Tools forum here on SCS asking if anyone was using it, did they like it, where could they buy some, etc.

Had a few replies, but at the time it was only manufactured in Japan (if memory serves) and there was something about the company selling the manufacturing rights to another company...with vague promises of it finally being available in the US after that was all worked out. So I just forgot all about it. Imagine my surprise when it finally hit the card making scene!

Here's the goofy part: I don't own any! LOL But I am totally up for a challenge with it - good reason to go add a few rolls to my stash

Maggie: I cook ribs in the oven all the time. Remove the membrane, cut & rub them about 24 hrs before, line a baking sheet with foil, place ribs on the sheet (single layer, meat side up) and then cover with foil completely. Bake low & slow: 300 degrees for 2 or 2.5 hours. They will fall off the bone! When you take them out they are fully cooked, but we either grill or broil with barbecue sauce. YUM!

There are also lots of recipes for cooking ribs in the crock pot, which I have also tried. It's the same concept: low & slow = tender ribs! In the crock pot we add a little liquid smoke to get the outdoor barbecue flavor in the winter.

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #4957

Okay, all this rib talk is making me hungry. Stop that!

Darlene, it's sure good to see you here. I am sure you are torn - wanting to be home, yet knowing your parents need extra help right now. Hugs!

Washi Tape challenge sounds fun............ I'm good with that, as long as it's after I get home from Thailand. EEK! Too much on my to do list to add another thing before I go.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #4958
Die Cut Diva

Sorry, but one more comment about ribs to add to the mix! DH and I are going to a rib fest this weekend. We have gone every year for the past five years. they have about 8 rib vendors, other deep fried foods and sweets booths and live music, oh and beer too! (Weight Watchers will be put on hold for the weekend!) Fresh air, a cold beer, music and ribs - life is good!

It's in the same town where our DD lives, so we can see grand-baby for awhile too!

I'm in for the Washi challenge! Will have to get my mojo going. I don't have a lot of Washi tape by some standards, but certainly more than I should have. I've actually stopped buying it unless it with coordinating papers or other embellishments that I
I'm buying at the time.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #4959
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Well, it just appears I'm way behind in everything - including washi!!!! Up until today I didn't have any of it! Got my month SSS kit and it's got a roll in it with black mustaches on it! Yikes!!! What to do with it! I'll check out that site to see what all they have this morning Maggie. Loved the band-aid story Kelly. I guess you can kinda look at washi the same as ribbon on a card - without the bow.
It seems everyone has it - but yet you don't use it much. Maybe the more you get the more you'd use it. Do you just tear that stuff or cut it or both?

Loved the picture of the bird. They can build in the strangest places!

Gotta scoot - will check back later.
Your mustache washi will be great on masculine or Father's Day cards or layouts. I see that Peachy Cheap Deals has more washi tape this morning on sale. It's from My Mind's Eye.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #4960
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Shelly, that's a great idea about the washi tape challenge type thing!!! What does everyone think - yes or no??? I've even been looking for instructions on how to make your own tape! Don't know if I want to go to that much trouble or not though. Has anyone made their own tape?

Oh and Maggie, on the ribs - we always just BBQ ours outside but know you can fix them in the oven just don't know exactly how.
I'm in for the washi challenge. I need some incentive to use mine and maybe I'll be happier with it.

No worries. I know how to cook it in the oven. I haven't grilled it yet because I don't have a grill, but I really want to buy one this year. After everything settles down with the windows and I get my house back in order, I'll be able to focus on something else.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts