Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree965Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #4121
Gabfest Goddess

Yay for you Lynn! If I were you I would NOT want to go to jury duty either!

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #4122
Swapper of the Month - February 2014

Hi all...
received very sad news first thing this morning about a long on line friend of mine passing suddendly...right from sleep to eternal life....her son found her very peaceful in the morning...*sigh* I've known Uberta (I called her Ube) for over 8 years now....first on an on line cooking forum and then FB...we talked over the phone on some occasions and our friendship grew...Now we (some of our common friends and I) feel in total shock ...our hearts go out to the family....I cannot imagine.... Ube's son made the announcement on her FB page but I found out,gratefully, through one of our common friend...
For those of U who read me on FB ,I am dedicating the simple daisies bouquest and the statue of an angel to Ube's memory ....I will miss her grace, simplicity and wiseness greatly! *I*L*Y*U*! ♥

Aside from such unbelievable shocking news, I managed to have a very good SUnday....visiting via Skype for an hr w/some of my family members overseas...then went to visit my Dad at his Alzhaimer's abode where we had a great time and saw him so well....he recognized me immediatley even though I went from the back and covered his eyes w/both my hands and just said "hello"....his immediately called out my name....he made me smile...♥
After a couple hrs we left Dad and went for a late lunch at a Mongolian Grill place...awesome food!....and on the way back we stopped at one of my fav. craft place were I picked up some Christmas designer paper and such at 60% off...plus I found a cute lil WS owl that found its way back home with me also...imagine that!

At home we chilled out watching the red carpet and the Oscars....a very tranquil kind of evening....perfect ending to such a shocking beginning....

GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE, I HOPE U ALL HAD A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #4123
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Sweet P what devastating news . What a difficult start to your day.

Lynn - I would be pleased to be off Jury Duty too!

Another hot day here, but I spent some time with a girl friend who's DH is suffering Alzheimer's - he is still well enough to be home, but there is a lot of tension there, not helped by the fact GF's son has Aspergers, and DH now does not grasp a lot about what he can and cannot do.... So we took a rug and some drink and chips and lay in the shade at a local park and talked and laughed and generally put our worlds to rights!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #4124
Pearl-ExPert

I also have jandel (flip flop) tan lines on my feet
Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #4125
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlynn View Post
Morning all!

Paige, I can't believe y'all are still getting snow........BURRRRRRR! We're really starting to warm up some down this way with great weather...in the 70's during the day. I know you're jealous! LOL! Also can't believe you haven't gotten your ribbon yet!! It may be time to call or e-mail! (If case y'all are wondering what we're talking about, Paige and I signed up for the Really Reasonable Ribbon club - I've gotten my first package and love it!)

P, dancing with all those girls just had to be so much fun!! They would have worn me out really quick! But, you're right - making wonderful memories.

Maggie, keep us updated on the boys. Know they'll settle in quick. Maybe once they get out of the cage, they'll be better. Sounds like you had a super busy day yesterday but sure it was nice. I'm just not sure if my craft table can handle one of the large guillotine cutters - not a lot of room. I may just see if I can find a cheap-o from Wally World to test before I spend a bunch of money on one. Um...that's a thought!

Maxine, can't believe you made 9 cards in two days!!! WOW!!!!!!! That's a lot of crafting - but was fun too I'm sure. Hope you're feeling better now.

Will check back later.........
Lynn
Well, at least today they are eating better and being more vocal and seemingly friendly toward Maggie Mae. They are making overtures to her, but so far, she's not having it. Corey is not warming up to me at all. He holler loudly when I try to clean out the cage and this morning he was back in the corner climbing the wall. Casper is the friendlier one. I really need to decide because I want to have them declawed and don't want to spend the money if I'm not going to keep him. I really think that I will keep Casper, just not sure about Corey.

The Dahle that I bought was NOT the guillotine type. It was a smaller personal trimmer. I can't remember which model it was
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #4126
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcardmaking View Post
Hello my Friends!

Busy couple of days (Friday & Saturday) no time for online play for me!

Just read back through everyone's updates! Let's see if I can remember everything (apologies if I overlook anything, it's not intentional)

Maggie, good luck with your twins!! The climbing tree sounds like just the ticket for the two youngsters! Hopefully Maggie Mae will be charmed by their antics as they relax and adjust to their new home!
I was REALLY researching that Dahle cutter...I'm glad that you splurged and got it for you, it sounds wonderful.

Shelly: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY - belated though the wish is! Safe travels to your parents. I know your mom will be happy for the help and your artistic time together! Hopefully Hubby can distract and engage your father in some sports and other activities.

Maxine: Please listen to the medical advice from Shelly, (also said with a loving mother/friend voice!) Glad to hear that the tests are good, but don't take any chances, ok? Hugs!

Kelly: here's hoping that you get a little down time soon! But I know that you are devoted to your kids' activities and that is a good thing!

Paola: The birthday spa and dancing sounds WONDERFUL!!! So happy for you!

Lynn: Total bummer about the Dr. trip and HOLY COW about your vehicle!! Your guardian angel was on duty for sure! Ouch on the repair though. And then the washer on top. Ugh, sounds like how events happen in my life. Thank goodness your stamping supplies were not damaged.

Paige: We're getting snow here today as well. Third Sunday in a row! This one is a heavy wet snow so cleaning up will be a problem. I hurt my shoulder on Friday so no shoveling for me. I'll post a review of the cutter once it gets here. I think it may come later this week.

Jeanette: Too bad you are not excited abut returning to Thailand in June You have to share just like last year so we can live vicariously through your experiences! That's really great about your daughter's trip this year, she must be excited as well.

We took dinner over to the neighbors last night and visited. She's doing chemo right now for cancer, but doing pretty well considering. The hubbies are best friends for over 20 years. It was nice but we had no idea of the time! Eventually her and I got tired and I broke up the guys and said we had to leave. They grumbled like boys about it, LOL. When we got home it was after 11:00!!! That's a shocker because we're usually asleep before 10!
That was so nice of you to take dinner to your neighbors. I'll put her on my prayer list that she'll be able to conquer that dread disease. Glad that you guys had a nice time with them. I'm sure they were happy to have the company.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #4127
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Oh come on Kelly.........let's see those feet!!!!! LOL!

I piddled away all afternoon and read a book! I didn't even walk back in the laundry/craft room at all. Way bad of me - but I do have one card for tomorrow so guess that's a start.

I've just really been a little - excuse the language here - pissy lately as I got a jury summons for District court tomorrow and was NOT looking forward to that. I had to spend so much time in court when I was working and the mere thought of having to go was just not sitting well with me at all! I enjoyed the people I worked with there and it would be nice to visit with them again but had no desire to have to sit on a jury. Besides that, I'd probably know the defendant since so many go from probation right back into the system for another offense. Plus I see some of my co-workers anyway as we keep somewhat in touch. I guess I just had enough stress in my life back then and didn't want to have to deal with all that again. Hope I'm not sounding like I was trying to shirk my civic duty - but................ ANYWAY, you have to call their number today in case they cancel court - and lo and behold, they CANCELLED for tomorrow!!!!! YEAH! They just never cancel District Court around here so I was very surprised AND happy! Maybe now I can concentrate more on making a card!

Lynn
Lynn, didn't know that you worked in the Court system once upon a time. What was your position? For you, I'm glad that it was cancelled so you don't have to go today, but for me, I really don't mind going as long as they put me on a jury. If I have to make the effort to go and sit there for who knows how long, then I want to do something. I have been on a couple panels before. It's interesting.

Hope you get some card making done.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #4128
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sama View Post
Hi all...
received very sad news first thing this morning about a long on line friend of mine passing suddendly...right from sleep to eternal life....her son found her very peaceful in the morning...*sigh* I've known Uberta (I called her Ube) for over 8 years now....first on an on line cooking forum and then FB...we talked over the phone on some occasions and our friendship grew...Now we (some of our common friends and I) feel in total shock ...our hearts go out to the family....I cannot imagine.... Ube's son made the announcement on her FB page but I found out,gratefully, through one of our common friend...
For those of U who read me on FB ,I am dedicating the simple daisies bouquest and the statue of an angel to Ube's memory ....I will miss her grace, simplicity and wiseness greatly! *I*L*Y*U*! ♥

Aside from such unbelievable shocking news, I managed to have a very good SUnday....visiting via Skype for an hr w/some of my family members overseas...then went to visit my Dad at his Alzhaimer's abode where we had a great time and saw him so well....he recognized me immediatley even though I went from the back and covered his eyes w/both my hands and just said "hello"....his immediately called out my name....he made me smile...♥
After a couple hrs we left Dad and went for a late lunch at a Mongolian Grill place...awesome food!....and on the way back we stopped at one of my fav. craft place were I picked up some Christmas designer paper and such at 60% off...plus I found a cute lil WS owl that found its way back home with me also...imagine that!

At home we chilled out watching the red carpet and the Oscars....a very tranquil kind of evening....perfect ending to such a shocking beginning....

GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE, I HOPE U ALL HAD A WONDERFUL DAY!!
Paola, so very sorry about your friend. One never knows. Years ago a church friend was going through chemo and radiation for breast cancer and she got through all that and was doing well, and then one day she didn't wake up either; just passed in her sleep. I don't know if they ever determined what had happened. She wasn't very old - maybe early 50's.

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the rest of your day and evening. I'm glad that you can visit your dad and that he still remembers you. It was very hard when my mom was dealing with dementia and would not know us when we went to visit her. She was always in good spirits but it was hard to talk to her when we wouldn't get any kind of response back from her that meant anything.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #4129
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwime View Post
Oh Sweet P what devastating news . What a difficult start to your day.

Lynn - I would be pleased to be off Jury Duty too!

Another hot day here, but I spent some time with a girl friend who's DH is suffering Alzheimer's - he is still well enough to be home, but there is a lot of tension there, not helped by the fact GF's son has Aspergers, and DH now does not grasp a lot about what he can and cannot do.... So we took a rug and some drink and chips and lay in the shade at a local park and talked and laughed and generally put our worlds to rights!!
Oh my, so sorry for your GF. That's so hard to deal with when they are still at home. You hear all the time about patient's wandering off. That's how we first knew that my mom was not able to stay by herself anymore. I think it was a year or so after my dad passed away. Then she came down here and lived with my sis for a few years. Glad that you and your GF could get away from the house for a while. I'm sure she needed the break.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #4130
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to MiamiKel4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwime View Post
I also have jandel (flip flop) tan lines on my feet
Woot, yay for tan lines! Lol!

Sweet P, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. And overjoyed that you were able to spend time with your dad. Spend as much time as you can with him, it is precious, blessed time!

Lynn, wow you worked for the courts?! Supah cool! I would be freaked if I lived n a small town and had to hear about my close,neighbors! But I'm one of those rare people that loves,the criminal justice system and has not served yet, though I want to! Every time they called me for jury pool, I was 1. Pregnant or 2. Just gave birth or 3. Nursing said baby! They have a law here that if you are taking care of a child under the age of 6 full time, you are excused and now my son is 8 so well see!

Have a good day, all .. Off to art class n a few.
Xoxo
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #4131
Swapper of the Month March 2013

Good Morning Fellow Stamp Addicts!!

I didn't make it here yesterday... Sundays have kind of gotten way too hectic, so that may become my new norm - minimal SCS on Sundays for me!

I'm glad to be here this morning though... because you always make me !

So much happening here! WOW!!!

Maggie, I hope things work out with you and the "C" twins. It seems that surely they will take to you and Maggie Mae!

Sweet P, sorry about your friend. Huge hugs, my dear!

Darlene, it's so good to see you here - I love the weekends when you have a bit more time to hang out! (Of course weekends are busy for me, so I don't get to hang out much. UGH!)

oh........... and this........................
MelonHeadz OSAAT {PIN}Spirational Challenges Sweet Stampin Twisted Tuesday

My blog: Cre8tive Play
According to Albert Einstein, "Creativity is contagious, pass it on."
My swap: Camping in the Forest
Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #4132

Quote:
I piddled away all afternoon and read a book! I didn't even walk back in the laundry/craft room at all. Way bad of me - but I do have one card for tomorrow so guess that's a start.

Lynn
This made me giggle!

Lynn, I hope you don't have a kidney infection.... too much piddling can be a sign of that, you know.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #4133

Seriously, Lynn, I'm glad you didn't have to go to jury duty selection today, since you didn't want to.

I, on the other hand, am kind of like Kelly. I had the opportunity to serve on a federal jury a few years ago and thought it was very good experience. I would gladly do so again.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #4134
Quacker Stamper

Hi Stamp Addicts. I just got an e-mail via her phone from Lynn. This is what she said.

We're having 55 and 65 mph wind here. It's blown down the Internet service providers tower and also the one at our house. So I have no Internet and don't know when I'll get it back. Could you please mention this in the S Addicts group so they won't think I'm gone for good. We're fine - just have lost all the shingles on the west side of the house. Going to try to log into SCS on my phone and see if I can post. Don't know if I can yet. Thanks SO much. Lynn
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #4135
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the update Maggie - that would not be pleasant to be in winds of those velocities!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #4136
Quacker Stamper

It was pretty windy here today also and COLD! Supposed to go down in the 40's tonight. That may not sound cold to some of you, but down here in H Town, it's cold enough!
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #4137
Stazon Splitcoast

Ohhh I want windy and cold! See, I won't say you have snow this time, Maggie - ROFL!

Btw, I just finished a book this weekend and I thought about you the whole time - it was Queen Hereafter, Margaret of Scotland! AMAZING novel, not sure how historically accurate it was but the story itself -the wars, kingdoms, thrones, lineage, etc was complicated yet fascinating. So you can be our Margaret of Splitcoast!

Now we have Laundry Stamper and Margaret of Splitcoast, hee hee!

Maxine, I do hope you are feeling okay - feel better, rest up x0x0x0

Jury Duty - I would love it! I so love that entire criminal justice process. Dh hates to be called and is called often, unfortunately, with his job. Especially when his patients are brought up on charges or declared unfit, etc. ... he has to go and give them the medical issues, etc. He's also been on several juries 'just because' and he said they were quite interesting, lol. He's had a Columbia drug lord kingpin - ala Scarface - and some humdingers like corrupt cops Me - too busy having babies - HA!!

Hugs for all!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #4138
Quacker Stamper

Good morning Stamp Addicts!

LOL! Kelly you crack me up! The book sounds good. I'll have to look for it on Kindle, see if it's anywhere to be borrowed.

Sounds like your DH has an interesting job. He's a physician of some sort???? I think I put one of his clients in jail One of the cases I was on a panel for was a drug dealer. We gave him 99 years, but found out after the trial that he had priors so essentially it turned out to be a life sentence.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #4139
Quacker Stamper

Things are pretty status quo here. Casper is allowing me to pet him and scratch his head. I want to hear him purr. Corey still not so much. He wants to crawl up the cage out of my way when I want to pet him.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #4140
Stazon Splitcoast

Good Morning, Stamp Addicts!

Margaret of Splitcoast is up early! Aw, bless your heart and the fur babies - give them some time, I am sure they will be in your lap 24/7 or as often as they can. You are such a good mama!!

My dh is a Psychologist I'm married to a Dr. Phil, LOL!! He often has to go to court on their behalf (Baker Acts, etc) but mostly for their benefit. I know it has it's pros and cons but I just find it all so fascinating. My dad and I spent HOURS talking over crime shows and cases, I think sometimes I missed my calling in life. I would have loved to go into the FBI, I think.

Well girlies I'm off to walk the pups, shower then scoot over to pick up dd16 early from school to get her driver's license ... fun times! (for her!) LOL!

Hugs to all!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #4141

Good Morning Fellow Stamp Addicts!

Geeeeeeeeeeegling as I read the conversation between you two, Maggie and Kelly!

Thinking of Lynn, and hoping the wind is over and no damage to deal with! EEK!

Hugs for all!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #4142
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi girls! Just a quick moment to stop in -- trying to get my blog post to load for tomorrow and it's NOT working - ugh! If nothing else, at least Bugaboo will have the post over there - LOL. I'm hosting the monthly tutorial - can we say excited! My card is so not me - you know how much I love me my layers and loads of dsp! This is everything NOT! But fun times!

Well, dd did NOT get her license today She passed it all, had all the documents, we waited an hour (with an appt time!) and got up to get the paperwork/picture and screeeeching halt. She handled it like a trooper and I could tell she was so sad. Apparently, the SSA messed up her SS card and we never noticed it. She has a hyphenated name .. she is K-C, her birth certificate has K-C but the SS card only says C .... it's never been an issue anywhere! For 16 years! The taxes have always accepted it, we've gotten her passport to travel with us to Europe (twice) with that name, the schools recognize it, so why is the DMV giving us such a hard time ... well, I tell you why .... identity fraud! So not fair However, it will be resolved and we will get this fixed, just gonna take a bit longer! I went to the SSA office today (they don't give appts for name changes) Can we say 5 hour wait!! OMGOSH! Living in a HUGE city has it's disadvantages sometimes. The lady suggested days/times to come back and just bring a good book with me - I can handle that! ahhh, sorry didn't mean to vent - she handled it so well, so will I!

*hugs!*
Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #4143
Pearl-ExPert

You are allowed to vent Kelly - what a shemosel - The only good thing I can see there is the time out to read while waiting
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #4144

Kelly, just one word........ UGH!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #4145
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 View Post
Good Morning, Stamp Addicts!

Margaret of Splitcoast is up early! Aw, bless your heart and the fur babies - give them some time, I am sure they will be in your lap 24/7 or as often as they can. You are such a good mama!!

My dh is a Psychologist I'm married to a Dr. Phil, LOL!! He often has to go to court on their behalf (Baker Acts, etc) but mostly for their benefit. I know it has it's pros and cons but I just find it all so fascinating. My dad and I spent HOURS talking over crime shows and cases, I think sometimes I missed my calling in life. I would have loved to go into the FBI, I think.

Well girlies I'm off to walk the pups, shower then scoot over to pick up dd16 early from school to get her driver's license ... fun times! (for her!) LOL!

Hugs to all!
I was awake early this morning also - 4:45 AM. Last night I tripped the breaker that goes to the 2 front bedrooms and the 2 bathrooms! All I was doing was running the space heater and my blow dryer! I'm sure I've done that before over the winter when I've used the space heater, but for some reason it did it this time. Total darkness! Of course, now the breaker box is outside, so at 10:30 I was out there trying to figure out how to open the dang box and couldn't get it open!!!!! I called the electrician and got a message that he was "not available." No voice mail. Tried again this morning and same response. So when I got to the office I called the original guy that I was referred to and told him that he needed to get in touch with him and have him call me. He can go fix the breaker without me, but he needed to tell me how to get the dang thing open! And I want to see what he needs to do so it doesn't happen again.

DH's job does sound very interesting with going to court on cases. Bet you hear some wild stories.

Sorry that you DD wasn't able to get her license yesterday. That is weird that they wouldn't accept it there as they did everywhere else, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #4146
Quacker Stamper

I'm also going to call my vet today and get some advice on what to do with Corey. He is not going to live in my house. Last night he spit at me twice and scratched me twice when I got too close when I was trying to clean out the case and their litter box and change the towels in there. I actually was able to get Casper out and put him on my lap and pet him. He wasn't toally keen on it and scampered to the back of the case when I put him inside, but no hissing, no growling and no spitting from him. I'd like to just put him outside in the back yard along with his mom and all the others, but I'm not sure if they'll accept him back now after he's been gone for a month. I don't want him to be chased off and not have a place to come to for food and water. I also need to clean out the cat, dog house so it's clean and warm. He may want to hide out in there.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #4147
Forum Fanatic

Default Back!

I am back from Ky- we drove last night despite snow storm warnings- roads were great and we actually made very good time.

I do not like sitting with nothing to do. so I took all of my embossing folders and die cuts to make an index..... All of our organization talk a while back got me thinking. I am going to number the EF's and put the numbers on the samples and hang them on the end of the wood shelf they are stored in- it is a tall wood CD tower- floor to ceiling.....

The die cuts I was going to hang the samples on the wall on poster board, but I think a binder will be better. I made pos and neg's so I can just hold up the sample and see what die will work best with what I am making. I will index them by manufacturer for DT purposes....... The die cuts take WAY longer than the embossing folders......

My parents look feeble..... My Mom is very active, but I noticed she gets tired very easily. She keeps active and home and at church. I had images- digi's and stamped...and she colored and I mounted them and made her up cards. She made 16 cards! She loved using my Copic markers : ) Her colors are beautiful too. I bought 3 6x6 paper packs and they worked beautifully.

My Dad was kept busy by hubby- who did odd jobs like fixing a light, hanging blinds, putting new toilet seats on- parents could not figure out how they worked......(well, they know how a toilet seat works, they could not figure out how to get it off and replace it) Hubby enjoys talking sports and sharing stories with my Dad- hubby is a saint! (His parents passed 20 yrs ago- my parents like him better (than me)....hehehe). There are 7 kids, and I think he is their fav in-law....

We also Skyped with Katie- that was awesome. I went to a prayer group with my Mom- it was very nice too. 12 women- three Mom/Daughters including us.

Wow- I read thru the posts and feel like I have been gone for ages!

P- so sorry for your loss! How nice that your visit with your Dad went well- I have a feeling I am 1/2 way to Alzheimers- my memory stinks! So scary.......

Maxine- hope you are feeling better- what a nice day with your friend- that is what I did with my Mom- relaxed and regrouped (and gave her a day or two off from my Dad).......

Lynn- hope there is no more damage and you are back with us soon- I would feel so disconnected with no internet!

Paige- we have snow here too- it is wet and heavy and slushy! The dog loves it! How is the baby???

Kelly- I have never actually served on a Jury- and here- they changed it up so child care is not an excuse to get out of Jury Duty. My hubby was called recently, and he did not have an assignment either- just went and was sent home at noon.

Maggie- the cats sound interesting- I would be so sneezing and eyes weepy! How nice of you to take in the cats and take such good care of them.

Hi Jeanette- hope you like that pork roast recipe when you try it- I LOVE it- very tasty : )

Darlene- I missed why you are not excited about Thailand. It sounds like an awesome opportunity.

Speaking of writing a book.......hehehe I need to get busy- I will get to blogs later on- not sure if I will be able to do it today, but will try!

Shelly
Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #4148
Pearl-ExPert

I won't ramble on too much......but I'm finally back on line!!!!!!!!!!! We're fine here (and thanks for all the well wishes).

The wind started about 8:30 that morning and didn't let up until about 6:00 p.m. We had 55 mph wind all day long with gusts up to at least 65 mph - some of the highest winds in the state for that day. It started ripping off the shingles about 9:30 and Jim said he was going to get up on the roof and fix it. Told him to go ahead and I'd just shoot him when he came down! LOL! Actually I forbid him from getting up there as he would have blown off. Anyway, we lost at least 1/2 all the shingles on the house by the end of the day. Right now we're going through roofers/bids/insurance/etc. We spent all day yesterday chain sawing and picking up tree limbs and all morning today picking up shingles. There's still a few things that need to be put back in place outside but this old lady is TIRED!!!!! Plus, something flew through the air - either shingle or limb and busted my windshield on the vehicle - so working on getting an appointment to have that fixed now too. What a crazy couple of days!!! The good thing was that we never lost power - and that was a real plus!

We finally got the internet back this morning - just to have it go out again. Hopefully they got it all repaired now. They got the tower in town fixed yesterday and then finally got around to me and did the one on the house today.

Living in the country is great - except for stuff like this. The wind was coming from the west, north west, and out here there is absolutely nothing to block it - just several miles of flat farm land.

Anyway, I'm back and will catch up with all the posts as soon as I can.

Lynn
Old 02-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #4149
Stazon Splitcoast

YAY for Shelly and Lynn's return!! Glad ya'll are back, safe and sound!

Maggie, I'm so sorry to hear about Corey. I have to go back up and read the specifics of why he's having a hard time adjusting - is he not used to human contact? He sounds really 'gun-shy' and probably going to take a lot longer adjusting. Poor baby. I had cats in my teen years and still bear the scars! One goes vertical across my wrist and looks REALLY suspicious, lol, but it's from my kitty and ironically, gave it to me while she was playing! The way it healed up looks like I went after myself with a razor - eek! SOOOO did not happen! Big hugs to you, 'mama!'

It's a pizza for dinner night here as I just rolled in getting the last kiddo! Literally my schedule:
dd18 & dd16 - High school drop off at 6:45, come home and pick up
dd14 and ds8 - son goes to school at 8, dd at 8:30
(takes almost an hour to get home with traffic!)
to turn around and pick up:
dd18 at 2:30, ds at 3:15, dd14 at 3:50 and then dd16 at 5 pm, cuz she's always in rehearsal.
Anyone want a chauffer job?!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #4150
Quacker Stamper

Welcome back Shelly and Lynn!

Shelly, I can't wait to see what you're doing with your EF's and die cuts. Sounds interesting.

Glad that your mom had fun with you coloring and making cards. It channels the inner child in us. I always loved coloring and that's why I love my Copic markers so much.

That's great that your DH and dad get along so well and that he was able to help out and keep your dad busy too.

Glad that you got to talk to Katie too while you were there. That must have been a treat for your parents.

Yikes Lynn! That storm was ferocious! We've also been having winds, but not nearly that bad. It's cold though and supposed to be getting colder in the evenings.

I've got the electricity on. Electrician called me because he's tied up with his regular work and told me how to open the box and how to fix the breaker. Now he still needs to come and figure out the wattage of that breaker and figure out what to do so it doesn't happen again.

I saw on Feline PLayful that I won a $20 Voucher to Flonzcraft (never heard of them) from Fab 'n' Funky Flower Power Challenge! Sometimes I forget to check that out every day. Glad I did.

One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #4151
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 View Post
YAY for Shelly and Lynn's return!! Glad ya'll are back, safe and sound!

Maggie, I'm so sorry to hear about Corey. I have to go back up and read the specifics of why he's having a hard time adjusting - is he not used to human contact? He sounds really 'gun-shy' and probably going to take a lot longer adjusting. Poor baby. I had cats in my teen years and still bear the scars! One goes vertical across my wrist and looks REALLY suspicious, lol, but it's from my kitty and ironically, gave it to me while she was playing! The way it healed up looks like I went after myself with a razor - eek! SOOOO did not happen! Big hugs to you, 'mama!'

It's a pizza for dinner night here as I just rolled in getting the last kiddo! Literally my schedule:
dd18 & dd16 - High school drop off at 6:45, come home and pick up
dd14 and ds8 - son goes to school at 8, dd at 8:30
(takes almost an hour to get home with traffic!)
to turn around and pick up:
dd18 at 2:30, ds at 3:15, dd14 at 3:50 and then dd16 at 5 pm, cuz she's always in rehearsal.
Anyone want a chauffer job?!!!!!!!!!
He is the offspring of a feral cat that lives in my backyard. The thing with kitties is that if you don't get them while they are real young, then this could happen and they become feral also and anti-social. It's weird why he is and Casper is more loving. Ouch! Not fun getting bitten or scratched. I got in the middle of a cat fight once and got bitten pretty good on my hand. I had a scar for a long time, but somehow, it has cleared up and you can't see it anymore.

Yikes! I don't know how you do all that running around. Just be careful.

Going to meet a few GF's from church for dinner tonight. Two of them I haven't seen in a while. One is elderly and doesn't come to church much anymore, but we used to sit together all the time with another lady. The other lady is a good friend and a caregiver. She's usually at the elderly lady's house watching out for her.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #4152
Gabfest Goddess

Morning Addicted Friends!

Catching up here.
Paola, so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. {{Hugs}}

Lynn, how awful about that storm and the damage it has done! I'm glad that you were safe and glad that the internet is getting back to normal for you!

Shelly, glad that you made it back just in front of the bad snow storms. Sounds like you had a good visit with your parents, although I'm sure it tugged at your heart to see your mom more feeble, as you put it. Oh, I'm not going to Thailand, I was teasing Jeanette, 'cuz I know she's excited about her trip there in June.

Kelly, what a frustrating day for DD and you, I also have a hyphenated last name and lately (post 9/11) it has really become an issue in unexpected ways.

Maggie: I marvel at your patience with your two babies! Hopefully you can win over the little hold out!

Maxine: can you come by my corner of the planet and help me put my world to rights? Pretty please????? LOL {{Hugs}}

ok, I want flip flop tan lines now...oh wait...it's been snowing for weeks. Guess I'll have to wait a few more months!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #4153
Quacker Stamper

Good morning Stamp Addicts!

Had a really fun time with my GF's last night. We went to a little Polish restaurant that looks like a hole in the wall, but the food was excellent. We decided that we're going to be a dinner club and get together the 4th Wednesday of every month. We even gave ourselves a name - The Single Chicks Dinner Club. One of the ladies thought we shouldn't exclude men, but she was soundly voted down! More fun chatting with just the ladies. I don't think it was so good for my diet though with weigh in being today.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #4154

Shelly, I'm glad you're home again. Sounds like you and your DH were a blessing to your parents and vice versa. I'm impressed with your organizational plan. Might we see pictures?

Maggie, I'm sorry the situation with the twins isn't going better.

Lynn, yikes! I'm glad you convinced your DH not to get on the roof during the wind storm! Silly men! Sorry you're dealing with all the clean up!

Kelly, you are constantly on the go... I am in awe!

Darlene, I'm ready for flip flop tan lines, too...... wanna join me at Kelly's place? (She's NEVER home anyway, so she'd never notice we arrived... and we could raid the fridge for leftover pizza.)

Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #4155
Pearl-ExPert

Morning everyone.

Maggie, your supper club sounds like it's going to be so much fun!! Just think of all the different kinds of food you'll be able to try now. Hope Corey is getting somewhat better with you. I've never had a problem like that with cats - if I put food in front of them, they want to be my friend for life! LOL!

Kelly, you're entirely too busy - makes my head spin just thinking about all that running around. And to think I did pretty much the same thing when my kids were young. You just pretty much meet yourself coming and going.

Darlene and Paige - sorry about all the snow y'all are getting.....spring will be here some day I'm sure!

Shelly, so sorry to hear about your parents. I know it's hard on everyone in the family to watch them aging like this. So glad your husband can, and will, help them out doing things around the house and all.

Maggie, you asked what I used to do that required me to have to be in Court all the time. I was a Probation Officer. Lots of stress. Several years before I retired I took over all the Pre Trial cases - got the defendants out of jail and put them on an electronic monitoring device, had to see them for home visits, and see them in the office - sometimes up to three times a week. Plus I was in charge of three counties. I would literally come up to the cross road on the way to work, and have to stop and think which direction I needed to go that day! Of course in all that, had to testify in Court, etc. Anyway, the defendants were all getting younger and I wasn't so decided after 24 years it was time to put myself out to pasture! LOL! I have some good, scary, bad, crazy memories of all that.

Off to try to get some commenting done this morning then have to take my car in to have the windshield repaired.

Lynn
Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #4156
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Morning everyone.

Maggie, your supper club sounds like it's going to be so much fun!! Just think of all the different kinds of food you'll be able to try now. Hope Corey is getting somewhat better with you. I've never had a problem like that with cats - if I put food in front of them, they want to be my friend for life! LOL!

Maggie, you asked what I used to do that required me to have to be in Court all the time. I was a Probation Officer. Lots of stress. Several years before I retired I took over all the Pre Trial cases - got the defendants out of jail and put them on an electronic monitoring device, had to see them for home visits, and see them in the office - sometimes up to three times a week. Plus I was in charge of three counties. I would literally come up to the cross road on the way to work, and have to stop and think which direction I needed to go that day! Of course in all that, had to testify in Court, etc. Anyway, the defendants were all getting younger and I wasn't so decided after 24 years it was time to put myself out to pasture! LOL! I have some good, scary, bad, crazy memories of all that.

Off to try to get some commenting done this morning then have to take my car in to have the windshield repaired.

Lynn
I am excited about the dinner club. It's a great way to get together with these ladies. We all have been friends for a long time, but it's hard sometimes to find the time to be together. This way, it's set and we can all take part. Just think, if I had to go out with each of them, it would be 4 nights' out. This way it's just 1 night and I get to have fun with all of them.

Feral cats are strange. I already have 3 in my back yard that will NOT let me get anywhere near them even though i do put food out for them morning and night, give them water, have a cute cat "dog" house for them. BTW, I just ordered a 2nd one, so there will be 2 out there in about a week and a half. No one ever wanted to use the one that is out there except Lucky Larry sometimes until Wanda came along with her little boys. They liked to curl up in there. I was surprised to see little Missy sitting in there this morning and after she ate, she went right back to it. Maybe something to do with my cleaning it out last night and putting in a clean soft rug to lay on. I want one that Corey will be comfortable in and hope he'll be happy out there. Maybe his mamma with recognize him and befriend him again.

What an interesting job, but I can imagine very stressful. There's a girl at church with 3 kids at home whose DH was locked up about 2-3 years ago. He's up for parole soon, and we're really hoping that he'll be released this time. He did a stupid thing with embezzlement with the company he worked for and paid a high price for it. I know he'll not do that again. He's really a super nice guy.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #4157
Pearl-ExPert

You'd just be amazed how many of the defendants were so nice! I REALLY liked some and then others were just down right dangerous and scary. Guess that's part of it though. I had one guy that I had to see FIVE days a week (still can't believe they actually let him out of jail) that had strangled his wife and then dressed her in a gown for bed and stayed there with her for two days!!! He was one of nicest guys you'd ever want to be around too! Weird!

I hope your friends husband has learned his lesson Maggie - and sure he probably has if he's been locked up for so long.

Hang in there on the kitties and maybe they'll get better with letting you take care of them and all. Don't they realize what a great home they're in!!! LOL!

Lynn
Lynn
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #4158
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey ... guess who's home - ME! ha ha

I actually only had 4 extra stops in between kid pick ups - not too shabby.

Maggie, thank you for explaining about the fur babies - bless their hearts. I'm sure, as you said, it's that one has more of a genetic disposition to be shy and more on the feral side. I know you will keep trying! And yay for dinner club!

Lynn, wow what a job! That's not one that I'd be lining up for, lol. I was a therapist for Drug and Alcohol court mandated cases and that was hard enough. I was so so so sick of the failed system - 12 DUIs? THEN the judge would say "Yeah, you probably need to see someone". Um, what about the first 11 times! And, as you said, some of them were the nicest people - not manipulative like, but genuinely nice just made really, REALLY bad choices. Or the ones so strung out on crack they would tie up their children to chain link fences 'til they got back home I don't miss that job at all!

Hugs for everyone! Going to be super soon, been pulling all nighters all week and it's caught up with me!

x0x0
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #4159
Pearl-ExPert

Hi girls - you have really chatted up a storm in here

Kelly and Lynn - I was a social worker for a few years with a foster care organisation - you met a few weird folk in that job, and some really great ones too.

Lynn it was good to see you back here and know you have survived the storm even if your DH wanted to try and fix things in the middle of it..........

Maggie,I do hope the twins settle with you - it sounds as though you will have one inside and one outside.

Darlene I would love to some and visit you - if you all club together and get me a ticket, I would pay for the new passport that I need. That way I could visit you all.

I wonder what I would put on my visa application - general factotum and personal organiser??
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #4160
Gabfest Goddess

Morning all!

Yay, it's Friday and for me that means some cardmaking is one day away!

Wishing everyone well. Lynn: take it easy on the clean up chores ok? and Maxine (insert caring but slightly stern tone) are you taking care of yourself??????

We want all of our addicted friends to be well and healthy!!

Hugs all & have a great day!