Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree965Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #3721
Die Cut Diva

I'm back!!!!!

Had some good snuggling and play time with the little one and enjoyed being with my son and daughter in law. It was a busy couple of days but worth it.
Today was spend washing/cleaning, etc.....No fun but had to be done.

Maggie, glad you got the shelves - know you'll love them and can't wait to see a photo.

Darlene, sorry to hear you're not feeling good. Don't let it turn into something more serious.

Kelly, sorry you're so busy - I don't see how you do everything you do anyway!

Jeanette, I'm loving all your 100 cards in 100 days! You're a very brave lady!! LOL! I'd never to able to accomplish that I'm sure!

Maxine, e-mail the challenge where you won the images or even the store again!!! That's happened to me a couple of times and I finally decided that I wasn't being a pest, I was just claiming what was suppose to be mine. I felt bad about it the first time, but got a very nice letter of apology from the store - and the images! I won some blog candy last year from a store but never got it.......mainly due to Hurricane Sandy hitting about the time my e-mail to them did! I figured that was ok since they had much bigger issues to deal with.

I've got to get with the program this week and get a couple of DT stuff done - and just some fun cards for me! I haven't done a Funny Friday in so long - and love doing them.....Just haven't had the desire lately.

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Lynn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #3722
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hello

Checking in before 10PM...hehehe We have a Lenton talk at church tonight that we are attending.....
My stomach is still not right, but I am not running a temp or throwing up or anything....just a vague bleh feeling, and if I do eat, be sure to have a bathroom close by : ) I know- TMI- sorry

I worked Thurs-Sat. Thursday night we had to head to a wake- about an hour away, Friday night went for dinner 1 40 min away....so I am so tired! I was in bed last PM by 11PM...you know that is early!

Oh Lynn and Paige- 2 lucky grandma's! Paige, does the baby sleep in your arms? I know that is what I would prob do.... Lynn- sorry to hear about the death of your DIL Grandma too.

Yeah for getting the shelves up Maggie and to getting the painting done Maxine! Nothing like the feeling of accomplishment!

Kelly- love the story about the dogs walking you! And Lynn, just read your caulk story to Ray- what a stitch!

And, I could never do 100 cards in 100 days- well, I guess if I tried I could- try some CAS cards- esp for OWH or kids. What a fun challenge!

20 degrees here today- tomorrow it will be 10..... I wish we would get some snow- we have still only had 1 1/2 inches here this year.....

Shelly
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #3723
Die Cut Diva

Oh Shelly, I hope you start feeling better too! It's a crazy time of year for all the sickness! Hang in there (and stay close to the bathroom! LOL)

Can't believe y'all have having such cold weather up there.....brrrrrrr....yep, it might as well snow if it's going to be cold like that!

Oh, Rambo made it through with flying colors on the second round of caulking! LOL! Some of it on him is finally wearing off now (thank goodness). He sleeps on his back in all his glory - so every time I catch him like that, I'll pick another piece off! Not fun at all! LOL!

Lynn
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #3724
Pearl-ExPert

Evening all,

Do hope those of you who are not feeling well heal up soon - nothing worse than feeling nauseous all the time - good for the weight loss though.

I managed some studio time on Sunday afternoon, and we are nearly finished the house!!

The dentist is on the list for tomorrow - only one tooth to come out - the other settled, thankfully!

Glad to hear Rambo is loosing the caulking Lynn - he must have looked so funny
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #3725
Quacker Stamper

Good morning Stamp Addicts!

Hope everyone is feeling much better this morning.

I had a nice dinner last night with the family for my DGS's 14th birthday! No more little cuddly grandbabies here. Enjoy the time you have with them, they grow up so fast.

I did get the shelves up and I'm really loving them. I'm attaching a photo of each of them. In the one with the long storage shelves, I had space at the bottom to add a shorter shelf on each side, so even more room. I haven't had the time yet to get the products up on them yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002 (11).jpg (28.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 003 (8).jpg (22.3 KB, 7 views)
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #3726
Die Cut Diva

Great shelves Maggie! You'll have fun filling them up!

Anyone want to hear about cold? We are under a wind chill warning until noon today and then it changes to a wind chill watch through tomorrow. Right now we have a wind chill of -33! That's cold!

Oh, yes, I hold dear baby while she sleeps - he, he, he! And I get to go back later this week for a couple of days while DD goes in to work.

Hope everyone is feeling back to normal again soon. I'm almost afraid to go out in a crowd, as I don't want to get sick - hey, it saves me money by not hitting the stores!

I'm heading over to Pinterest for a "short" while!

Have a great day and a terrific week everyone!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #3727
Gabfest Goddess

Good morning to my Addicted Friends!!

Boo on Shelly's stomach ick.

Yay for Maxine's studio time and the end of the painting project!!! Woot Woot!

Yay for snuggles with grandbabies!!

Yay for fun dinners with your families!!

Yay for Maggies wonderful shelves (ok, just a wee bit jealous here...but in a good-for-you way )

Yay that Lynn is reviving her Funny Friday posts, love those!

Yay for Jeanette and her progress on 100 cards in 100 days. She's doing much better at it than I am

Yay for the visual image of Kelly's dogs walking her! LOL, been there, done that!

Hmmm, could you guess that I'm in a good mood? We have this day off as a work holiday, but I had a few appointments scheduled. The last one just asked to be rescheduled and now I'm free today! Yep, heading off to play with my toys soon.

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #3728
Die Cut Diva

Maggie, the shelves are fantastic looking!!! Know you'll fill them up in a hurry!

Paige, I bet you get tired of Maggie and I saying how cold it is here - when we're in the 40's!! LOL! Holy Moly, that's COLD where you are!!!!! I just couldn't stand it at all. I probably stock up on groceries before winter and never leave the house!! Brrrrrrr.......
I keep thinking about what all the homeless and people with no heat do! Don't know how they survive at all. So sad.

Darlene, so glad you have a day off. Know you must cherish those completely! Hope you have a fun day!

Lynn
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #3729
Gabfest Goddess

Lunch break from making cards.

Lynn, may I post a Discussion of the Week? Please & thank you!

What is/are some of your favorite techniques, tool, etc. that you wished you discovered earlier? Something that you would recommend to someone if just starting off or new to paper crafting.

Things I wish I bought earlier:
A large non-stick oven liner. I use it ALL THE TIME on my workspace. It's big, nothing adhesive sticks to it, glitter wipes off with a damp paper towel, I love it.

I also wished that I tried the ATG tape gun earlier. I was given one as a gift and thought "oh no! It's so big!" But now that I've had it a couple of years, and got the hang of using it, I love it.

How about all of you? What makes your crafting easier that you wish you would have caught on to sooner? I bet I have a few more items...these just come to mind right off the top of my head.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #3730
Die Cut Diva

Sorry I haven't gotten back over here today.

THANK YOU Darlene for the Discussion of the Week.............it's great!

I'll get back over tomorrow with my input - started running fever again this afternoon and just need to go to bed. Think I need to go back to the doc tomorrow. Not fun.

Lynn
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #3731
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlynn View Post

I'll get back over tomorrow with my input - started running fever again this afternoon and just need to go to bed. Think I need to go back to the doc tomorrow. Not fun.

Lynn
Lynn, so sorry that you're getting sick again. No fun is right. I sure hope that the doctor can figure out what is going on with you.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #3732
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Lynn
Lynn, go and rest and follow your doctor's orders!!! You are too important to too many people to fuss around with your health. Promise us that you will take care of yourself, OK?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #3733
Die Cut Diva

Lynn, sorry to hear you are not at 100% yet. Hopefully a visit to the doctor will give some relief. The crud going around lasts a long time.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #3734
Die Cut Diva

DOTW:

Don't purchase inferior card stock or materials just because the price is a bargain. In the long run it isn't. What a difference good quality paper makes when making a card.

The Genesis paper cutter was the best investment I made. I do not regret spending the money for it and only wish I would have bought one sooner than I did, which was about three years after I started stamping.

I had a bone folder and stamp-a-ma-jig for years before I finally caught on to what great tools they are!

My overall advice would be to buy the best quality tools and materials that you can.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #3735
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
DOTW:

Don't purchase inferior card stock or materials just because the price is a bargain. In the long run it isn't. What a difference good quality paper makes when making a card.

The Genesis paper cutter was the best investment I made. I do not regret spending the money for it and only wish I would have bought one sooner than I did, which was about three years after I started stamping.

I had a bone folder and stamp-a-ma-jig for years before I finally caught on to what great tools they are!

My overall advice would be to buy the best quality tools and materials that you can.
Great advice Paige!!

Timely too, because I've had my eyes on the Genesis for a few months now. Waiting to see if I get a good bonus at work. If so, I'm getting it as my little reward! hehehe

Ditto that on the paper, especially when coloring an image. I had no idea how big a difference paper could make!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #3736
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcardmaking View Post
Lunch break from making cards.

Lynn, may I post a Discussion of the Week? Please & thank you!

What is/are some of your favorite techniques, tool, etc. that you wished you discovered earlier? Something that you would recommend to someone if just starting off or new to paper crafting.

Things I wish I bought earlier:
A large non-stick oven liner. I use it ALL THE TIME on my workspace. It's big, nothing adhesive sticks to it, glitter wipes off with a damp paper towel, I love it.

I also wished that I tried the ATG tape gun earlier. I was given one as a gift and thought "oh no! It's so big!" But now that I've had it a couple of years, and got the hang of using it, I love it.

How about all of you? What makes your crafting easier that you wish you would have caught on to sooner? I bet I have a few more items...these just come to mind right off the top of my head.
I agree about the non-stick sheet. Mine is not an oven liiner, but same thing. I don't know what they call it, but I do love it because I can glue right there and then just wipe it off.

I love my Bowdabra. I am so bow challenged and that little tool makes bow making so much easier especially with little bows.

Love the Xpress It Blending Card for coloring with my Copics. I can always count on it to not bleed.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #3737
Swapper of the Month March 2013

Good Morning Fellow Stamp Addicts!

I've been gone from SCS for a few days - life got in the way - and am trying to catch up this morning. THANK YOU to all who commented on my 100 Cards in 100 Days! I'm having fun with it.

Maggie, your shelves look fabulous!!! Lots of great space there!

YAY for snuggling babies!

Darlene, love the discussion question. Like you, I use a large silicone mat on my workspace and absolutely love it!!! It was the best non-stamping purchase I ever made for my stamp room. LOL! I also love my ATG! Have had it for years now and boy has it saved me $$$. I love love love my Stamp-a-ma-Jig... couldn't get a thing straight without it. I love the small science fair board thing that I purchased a year or so ago - that's what I use to block out "unwanted scenery" when photographing a card. I love my Scoring Pad. hmmm... I'm sure there are other things, but those are what come to mind.

I do NOT love my paper trimmer............. so now I want to google the Genesis and see what it is you are all talking about. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... do you suppose if I complete the 100 Cards in 100 Days, I could splurge and buy myself a gift???
MelonHeadz OSAAT {PIN}Spirational Challenges Sweet Stampin

My blog: Cre8tive Play
According to Albert Einstein, "Creativity is contagious, pass it on."
Come Chat with Me in the Chit Chat Forum
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
I agree about the non-stick sheet. Mine is not an oven liiner, but same thing. I don't know what they call it, but I do love it because I can glue right there and then just wipe it off.

I love my Bowdabra. I am so bow challenged and that little tool makes bow making so much easier especially with little bows.

Love the Xpress It Blending Card for coloring with my Copics. I can always count on it to not bleed.
What is this? I've never heard of it.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #3739

Okay, I just googled the Genesis. EEK! It looks too high tech for me. I'm not sure I'd ever figure it out.

I also googled the cardstock, Maggie. I might have to try a bit of it sometime.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #3740
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to MiamiKel4

Good afternoon - late check in! Had to re-register my son for school - 3rd grade next year - and get dd's papers to her college (talk about a huge stretch in schools!) Finally taking a breather and have to leave in 30 minutes for pick ups already

Maggie - shelves are lookin' good!

DOTW - awesome topic! If I could go back in time, wow, would things be different!!

1. Don't buy a stamp (or set!) just because you like a card! I am now the owner of 150+ SU stamp sets that have either never seen ink or seen very little! Find a digi ~ share some images - ask a friend to stamp out a few .... but the money I could have saved had I been a little more careful

2. Invest in good quality products that will last. SU inks have lasted me YEARS while others (studio G, i.e.) are already tossed due to drying out, etc.

3. Have good storage and organization ~ I bought long wire 12 x 12 paper rack stands when our LSS closed down for just pennies and LOVE THEM!! They make storing my paper pads and loose 12 x 12 papers such a breeze. I do have upright bins and a wooden desk slotted paper holder but this is 6' tall and holds a ton and doesn't take up much space.

I have a lot of techniques I want to try this year, too .... but usually am pressed for time to get anything done! Hopefully after the new Riley release and blog hop, things will slow down enough for me to craft at my leisure

Hugs!

Last edited by MiamiKel4; 01-22-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #3741
Stazon Splitcoast

This is what my wire paper racks look like - HEAVEN!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (42).jpeg (7.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #3742
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hello

Hello all- I am not staying home from work, but still no appetite to speak of and thought I was feeling better today until I nibbled on a Cinn Graham cracker.....

It is freezing here too- I skipped water exercise today...too darn cold to get in warm water and go out in the freezing cold!

I agree with all of the Yeah's! Life is good and I hope it stays that way! I work Wed., then off for a week- I am having a Norwex party this weekend- cleaning supplies supposedly greener and hoping they will help the allergies.

Sat night, we are going to dinner Italian (there are non-dairy items on the menu...) and line dancing- hope it is fun.....

We have a new TJ CD and there will be a Blog Hop Friday- hope you can stop by! I imagine they will give something away. It is all about Shimmer and glimmer : )

My parents live in Ky, close to 275 and I just saw on FB that there was an 80 car pile-up there yesterday- lots of ice in their area. One death- a 12 yr old girl that got out of her car.....

Oh boy- on the topic of the week- that is a loaded question!
1) Buy the good paper- yep
2) Make a catalog of your stamps from the get go..... You really do not need 40000000000 stamps......
3) Be who you are once you figure out your style..... I am not a CAS stamper, nor one that adds lots of flowers and stuff to my cards...and I discovered I love Vintage : )
4)Great lighting is a must! Esp for the over 50 crowd I am now in.....and esp because I create alot at night : )

Hope you all have a great day- feel better Lynn!

Shelly
Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #3743
Die Cut Diva

Well, guess I'm good to go once again. They think that now all it is, is allergies! He said to stay in the house, bundle up, take Zertec, etc....Mercy!!!!! I've only been out of the house like 4 times since New Year's Day and feel like a prisoner, wear sweats most everyday, and am so full of meds it's pathetic!!! LOL! Anyway, haven't had the fever today so that's good. I'm REALLY tired of all this!

Discussion of the week.......thanks again, Darlene......and anytime someone wants to jump in with one, PLEASE DO! It's getting harder and harder each week to think of something.

I wouldn't want to have to do without my Ott light. Got it at half price at Joann's and love the difference it makes. All the different colors just seem to come alive with that.

The StampAMaJig.......when I first started stamping someone told me NOT to get one of those as it was just a waste of money. I finally broke down and got one - and LOVE IT! It's the only way to line up anything half way right!

My papers and ink pads are from SU - except for what I use for Copic coloring. I like the quality of the cardstock from SU but haven't really ever tried anything else.

Techniques......um......I'll have to leave most of that to Shelly and the rest of you ladies. I love drooling over all the different techniques though because I think it makes a card so unique. I'm just not very good at it and guess. I tend to do more CAS cards (although I love all the layers too). Not sure what you'd call my style.

I've never seen the sheet y'all are talking about to go under the work surface - but sounds great. And Kelly, I WANT that wire rack for paper!!!!!!!!

I can honestly say I've used most all of my stamps or sets. When it comes right down to it, I'd much rather stamp than use a digi - but the digis are so much cheaper and there's such a huge variety. I love that!

Lynn
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #3744
Pearl-ExPert

DOTW
I have a Dahl cutter that I saw in action very early on, and I would never swap - it is a great tool - expensive but worth every cent!
Yes - Stamp-a-ma-jig is very useful, although I was getting a lot straight before I got it, it is a great tool when using layers of stamping! (think shadows) as well as sentiments.
Hmm - I think my stamp collection is probably fairly small by the sounds of it, and there is not really anything unused............
Storage - umm - very important, but I have not mastered it - yet!!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #3745
Die Cut Diva

Maxine, I think my stamp collection is small too - and maybe that's why I used most of them. I know that it's no where close to some anyway.

Never heard of a Dahl cutter......will check it out too.

Lynn
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #3746
Gabfest Goddess

Interesting responses to the DOTW - thanks!!

I also love my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, took me a while to use it after I bought it, but now that I've "seen the light" (haha) I love it! I think my vision correction (glasses) makes it really tough to tell whether things are straight or not.

My non-stick pad is an oven liner, bought at a discount store for household items, and even then it was on sale! It's silicone so nothing sticks, stains, etc. And it's larger than the craft non stick mat that Ranger sells.

Jeanette, there is a thread on SCS in the tools section that is about the Genesis. I've been researching trimmers for well over a year now. I also like one of the Dahle trimmers.

I've been stamping for almost 10 years now, and I'm on my 3rd cheaper trimmer. Between the cutting pads, replacement blades, etc. plus how the arms on others get out of alignment so eventually I get annoyed with the crooked cuts and then buy another cutter - I figure that crafting the next 10 years will be breakeven or even less expensive if I buy a "more expensive" cutter from the get go. (was that a run-on sentence or what?)

But I sure wrestle with the issue of spending so much up front. I keep thinking of other places (non stamping) that I should spend the $$. But, if my Board gives me a good bonus (we managed to turn around a big deficit budget into a great profit!!) and if it looks like the household bills are going in the right direction - I just may splurge on a Genesis or a Dahle.

My motto all along has been to accumulate enough toys and durable goods to indulge my card making for years after retirement, so that I would only have to spend for consumables like adhesives and embellishments. So (in my mind) the paper trimmer would be an item to get before I retire (about 3 yrs from now).

I'm blessed to have the ability to even consider such an investment! But it's scary to spend so much $ for one tool - what if it's not what I hoped for? What if it doesnt work well for me? Ack! Then I just keep opting for not buying anything! But then I am getting aggravated with my Fiskars trimmer and know that the cycle is starting all over again...Hubby is no help. He just says "you should get it now while we can".

Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #3747
Pearl-ExPert

Hubby is right Darlene - and I LOVE MY Dahle - it's done over 8 years and only needed one blade replacement and that was only last year. Well worth the $$.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #3748
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwime View Post
Hubby is right Darlene - and I LOVE MY Dahle - it's done over 8 years and only needed one blade replacement and that was only last year. Well worth the $$.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #3749
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 View Post
This is what my wire paper racks look like - HEAVEN!!!
That is really nice. What a find.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #3750
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ranger View Post
What is this? I've never heard of it.
It's a brand of cardstock that a lot of the Instructors use when using their Copic markers. Some c/s tends to bleed when using Copics and this one doesn't.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #3751
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Good afternoon - late check in! Had to re-register my son for school - 3rd grade next year - and get dd's papers to her college (talk about a huge stretch in schools!) Finally taking a breather and have to leave in 30 minutes for pick ups already

Maggie - shelves are lookin' good!

DOTW - awesome topic! If I could go back in time, wow, would things be different!!

1. Don't buy a stamp (or set!) just because you like a card! I am now the owner of 150+ SU stamp sets that have either never seen ink or seen very little! Find a digi ~ share some images - ask a friend to stamp out a few .... but the money I could have saved had I been a little more careful

2. Invest in good quality products that will last. SU inks have lasted me YEARS while others (studio G, i.e.) are already tossed due to drying out, etc.

3. Have good storage and organization ~ I bought long wire 12 x 12 paper rack stands when our LSS closed down for just pennies and LOVE THEM!! They make storing my paper pads and loose 12 x 12 papers such a breeze. I do have upright bins and a wooden desk slotted paper holder but this is 6' tall and holds a ton and doesn't take up much space.

I have a lot of techniques I want to try this year, too .... but usually am pressed for time to get anything done! Hopefully after the new Riley release and blog hop, things will slow down enough for me to craft at my leisure

Hugs!
I'm with you on a lot of these Kelly. One reason I quit being a demo for SU before (of course I'm back again for now). Once I started using Copic markers, I really didn't like any of the stamp sets that SU had on the market. I'm pretty selective about which ones I buy now. I do love digital images and have collected quite a few of those, but they are easier to store than stamps too.

I do love the SU cardstock and pattern paper. I do still buy those products. In fact, just placed an order today! Yikes! You wouldn't believe how much I spent.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #3752
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcardmaking View Post
Interesting responses to the DOTW - thanks!!

I also love my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, took me a while to use it after I bought it, but now that I've "seen the light" (haha) I love it! I think my vision correction (glasses) makes it really tough to tell whether things are straight or not.

My non-stick pad is an oven liner, bought at a discount store for household items, and even then it was on sale! It's silicone so nothing sticks, stains, etc. And it's larger than the craft non stick mat that Ranger sells.

Jeanette, there is a thread on SCS in the tools section that is about the Genesis. I've been researching trimmers for well over a year now. I also like one of the Dahle trimmers.

I've been stamping for almost 10 years now, and I'm on my 3rd cheaper trimmer. Between the cutting pads, replacement blades, etc. plus how the arms on others get out of alignment so eventually I get annoyed with the crooked cuts and then buy another cutter - I figure that crafting the next 10 years will be breakeven or even less expensive if I buy a "more expensive" cutter from the get go. (was that a run-on sentence or what?)

But I sure wrestle with the issue of spending so much up front. I keep thinking of other places (non stamping) that I should spend the $$. But, if my Board gives me a good bonus (we managed to turn around a big deficit budget into a great profit!!) and if it looks like the household bills are going in the right direction - I just may splurge on a Genesis or a Dahle.

My motto all along has been to accumulate enough toys and durable goods to indulge my card making for years after retirement, so that I would only have to spend for consumables like adhesives and embellishments. So (in my mind) the paper trimmer would be an item to get before I retire (about 3 yrs from now).

I'm blessed to have the ability to even consider such an investment! But it's scary to spend so much $ for one tool - what if it's not what I hoped for? What if it doesnt work well for me? Ack! Then I just keep opting for not buying anything! But then I am getting aggravated with my Fiskars trimmer and know that the cycle is starting all over again...Hubby is no help. He just says "you should get it now while we can".
I have a Fiskars trimmer that I use most often because it is convenient. I also have a large flat rotary trimmer that sits on my table, but it usually is covered with "stuff" so I don't use it often. I also have a guillotine type trimmer that I really like, but I don't have any room for it right now in my stamp room, so it's out in the dining room with all my scrapbook stuff, which is why I need to get my storage room organized so I can use my scrapbook stuff.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #3753
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwime View Post
I really like the looks of those. Which one do you have?
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #3754
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
I really like the looks of those. Which one do you have?
Yes, do tell! I would also like to know!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #3755
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidty View Post
Hello all- I am not staying home from work, but still no appetite to speak of and thought I was feeling better today until I nibbled on a Cinn Graham cracker.....

It is freezing here too- I skipped water exercise today...too darn cold to get in warm water and go out in the freezing cold!

I agree with all of the Yeah's! Life is good and I hope it stays that way! I work Wed., then off for a week- I am having a Norwex party this weekend- cleaning supplies supposedly greener and hoping they will help the allergies.

Sat night, we are going to dinner Italian (there are non-dairy items on the menu...) and line dancing- hope it is fun.....

We have a new TJ CD and there will be a Blog Hop Friday- hope you can stop by! I imagine they will give something away. It is all about Shimmer and glimmer : )

My parents live in Ky, close to 275 and I just saw on FB that there was an 80 car pile-up there yesterday- lots of ice in their area. One death- a 12 yr old girl that got out of her car.....

Oh boy- on the topic of the week- that is a loaded question!
1) Buy the good paper- yep
2) Make a catalog of your stamps from the get go..... You really do not need 40000000000 stamps......
3) Be who you are once you figure out your style..... I am not a CAS stamper, nor one that adds lots of flowers and stuff to my cards...and I discovered I love Vintage : )
4)Great lighting is a must! Esp for the over 50 crowd I am now in.....and esp because I create alot at night : )

Hope you all have a great day- feel better Lynn!

Shelly
Oh Shelly, I am so sorry to hear of this and how scary it must have been for you to worry about your folks. I hadn't heard of it but said a prayer just now ....

and for the Texas girls, hopefully you were not near that shooting in the high school. This is becomming an epidemic. My heart worries for these children of the future!!

Shelly, we DON'T need 4000000000000000 stamps? Say it isn't so! I jest -- truly, i wish I had been more selective! Although most were from the BST and great bah-gains, lol. And some I've donated so it's nice to know that many have gone on to better homes.

Okay, I was just about to type out "thanks for liking my rack, girls!" but somehow that just DOESN'T sound right ........ LOL!!!! I bought it for a STEAL!! The LSS closed down (our last one!) and it was marked down to $5. Maybe $10?? I forget now, been years. I was happy as can be because it's 6 tiers high (as in they are removable or can stay together as a tall one - how I have it) I went back later for more items and they were $5 (or $10) EACH!!!! Not for the whole thing!! I felt SO bad for the girl who sold it - she didn't know, neither did I. I offered to pay full price but the owners were like just go, don't worry .... you've paid our mortgage more than once over the past 8 years, LOL! I thought that was really sweet.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #3756
Pearl-ExPert

Will let you know which model I have in the morning - I am currently sitting in bed with the laptop, and about to go to sleep

I had my tooth out yesterday and all is looking good so far, and the extraction itself went really well - so glad I was recommended this dentist - best I have had!!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #3757
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Oh Shelly, I am so sorry to hear of this and how scary it must have been for you to worry about your folks. I hadn't heard of it but said a prayer just now ....

and for the Texas girls, hopefully you were not near that shooting in the high school. This is becomming an epidemic. My heart worries for these children of the future!!

Shelly, we DON'T need 4000000000000000 stamps? Say it isn't so! I jest -- truly, i wish I had been more selective! Although most were from the BST and great bah-gains, lol. And some I've donated so it's nice to know that many have gone on to better homes.

Okay, I was just about to type out "thanks for liking my rack, girls!" but somehow that just DOESN'T sound right ........ LOL!!!! I bought it for a STEAL!! The LSS closed down (our last one!) and it was marked down to $5. Maybe $10?? I forget now, been years. I was happy as can be because it's 6 tiers high (as in they are removable or can stay together as a tall one - how I have it) I went back later for more items and they were $5 (or $10) EACH!!!! Not for the whole thing!! I felt SO bad for the girl who sold it - she didn't know, neither did I. I offered to pay full price but the owners were like just go, don't worry .... you've paid our mortgage more than once over the past 8 years, LOL! I thought that was really sweet.
It was actually a college - Lone Star College, not a High School, and the shooting was some argument between 2 adults, had nothing to do with the kids attending the school, thank goodness. No one was killed though, just injured. I think they caught the guy that did the shooting over night.

Good morning Stamp Addicts. Foggy out this morning and still on the chilly side.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #3758
Die Cut Diva

Just a quick check in this morning.........will be back later I'm sure.

Maggie, I didn't know you were a SU demo! I got in it in April last year but have dropped it now. I love the paper and ink, etc.....but felt like I was HAVING to buy when I didn't really want to. I only had one customer (in California) and she just bought a little tiny bit about every four months. I'm just not a sales lady - of course I didn't try either. I was just doing it for myself.

Lynn
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #3759

Good Morning Fellow Stamp Addicts!

Okay... I googled... BIG mistake! Now I want one of those Dahl cutters! EEK!!!

I have several cutters and seriously am not very happy with any of them. I think the Fiskars ones - I have 2 different kinds of Fiskars cutters - don't cut completely true to square and that frustrates me tremendously. I have the SU Guillotine one and use it some, but it doesn't have very clear markings in my opinion, making it more challenging to use. I have a Making Memories one, too, with a rolling blade and rarely use it. It is usually just collecting dust on my shelf. LOL!

Oh, and I have a very very old Fiskars in my study desk (not my stamping desk), that I use for non-cardmaking projects.

See what I mean... I do NOT need another cutter! But the Dahl one looks like a great cutter.

Can you tell me........... does it cut true to square?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #3760
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Just a quick check in this morning.........will be back later I'm sure.

Maggie, I didn't know you were a SU demo! I got in it in April last year but have dropped it now. I love the paper and ink, etc.....but felt like I was HAVING to buy when I didn't really want to. I only had one customer (in California) and she just bought a little tiny bit about every four months. I'm just not a sales lady - of course I didn't try either. I was just doing it for myself.

Lynn
I"m with you Lynn. I was actually in Pending at the end of 2012, but there was a ton of stuff I liked in the Spring catalog and I have 2 people that buy from me sporadically to help a little bit. I never intended that it was going to be a long-term commitment from me. I don't have workshops or stamp clubs either.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Knockouts