Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #121
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Okay I know what a flaker is but what is an angel???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #122
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiejen View Post
Okay I know what a flaker is but what is an angel???
An angel is someone who steps up to take the place of someone who can't complete the swap.

An angel cannot cover for a flaker though, 'cause a flaker doesn't give the courtesy of telling the hostess that they won't be completing the swap.

Terrie
Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #123
Matboard Maniac

I sing along with the radio when no one is around, people yell at me if they hear me

My mother never threw anything out, so there are still toys of mine around that my kids and grandkids played with ... not sure what happened to my one no-name Barbie ... I had a gorgeous doll carriage that I got when my dad was stationed in Germany in the 50's ... my DGS decided to lie on top of it when he was 2 and break the connection of the top to the bottom ... it's still in my spare room looking forlorn, with a couple of my dolls in it ...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #124
Polyshrink Goddess

I sing along with the radio, without the radio, whether people can hear or not. It makes me happy...them, not so much yesterday, driving home from my mom's I sang the whole Band Perry CD twice. Really, really loud.
I don't have any of my childhood toys which is funny because I collect old toys now. I have lots of other people's childhood toys. I do have the very cool glass button jar that I use to play with when I was a kid. I sorted those buttons and made patterns with them on the hardwood floor. It has a cork top.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #125
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaraul View Post
I'm gonna have to start a swap for the "steampunk challenged". That might be hilarious.
ROFL...that would be me, too!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #126
October Swapper of the Month 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
ROFL...that would be me, too!
OK, I just don't get it. Is there a Steampunk SOMETHING? Like a book or a movie or a...............something? I don't understand it. I see the artwork but.......well I just, I don't know what is means. Or does it mean anything? I know I am showing my backwoodsGeorgianess, but.......somebody needs to help me.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #127
SCS Swap Moderator

This is the quote from Wikipedia

"Steampunk is a genre which originated during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror, and speculative fiction. It involves a setting where steam power is widely used—whether in an alternate history such as Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States, or in a post-apocalyptic time —that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville.
Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine.
Steampunk also refers to art, fashion, and design that are informed by the aesthetics of Steampunk literature. Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk."

It's basically a "flavor" like Jane Austin Novels, or the Twilight series or Harry Potter. It has been developed to the point that those who are interested know what it looks like. If you are into any of those things to the point that you "know" what they look like, you can see what I mean. It's like understanding what the Roaring Twenties looked like, or the 50's or 60's. Or Disco. Everything has it's identifying markers - steampunk is just a (relatively) newer one and that's why not everyone is as familiar with it.

I hope that helped a little.

---------
Old 06-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #128
SCS Swap Moderator

Note to Group #5....I made a member change, but since it's not full yet I hope that won't mess anyone up too much. Let me know if it does & I'll fix it as best I can

---------
Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #129
Swapper of the Month - May 2013

Well, I created a card for steampunk, but I think it is more grunge, not scientific. probably not fantasy but to me it looks good and that's all there is to it. So if I'm off base with my creation, I shall be in good company for those of us like Sybil who are likely thinking too much. LOL. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #130

That did help a little. Like, I don't have to read a book or listen to some really weird music to know that I can just put strange machines and vintage stuff together and it will be OK.
Sort of like grandma's nightmare?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #131

And for all my Canadian players, here's my opinion and you can join me if you like:
and of course to our U.S. friends a happy holiday to you as well. Take care everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
canadian-proud-..jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by normat View Post
Well, I created a card for steampunk, but I think it is more grunge, not scientific. probably not fantasy but to me it looks good and that's all there is to it. So if I'm off base with my creation, I shall be in good company for those of us like Sybil who are likely thinking too much. LOL. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I am laughing here, Norma. I have been told many times I think too much. Like not seeing the forest for the trees. The things I fret most over turn out to be the things I am told turn out best. I can't wait to see what others do with it.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #133
SCS Swap Moderator

Grandma's nightmare...LOL. Yeah, that's it. If grandma's horse & buggy were to be suddenly mechanized, or steam powered...or blimps - blimps are good too.

And I like having all my Canadian friends here too. Eh!

---------
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #134
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Here's some steampunk inspiration: steampunk on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #135

I knew you ladies would be there to straighten out all the bumpy places. I have lots of little strange bits of tools and stuff, so maybe by the time I get ready to do this one I will have lots of things to use, and will know more about which direction to take.
What would we do without our illustrious and helpful Joyce and Paulette? I don't want to think about it.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #136
Swapper of the Month September 2012

Hi all,
My internal clock is screwed up and I'm watching Soul Surfer in the dark and listing to the cats careen from one end of the living room to the hall and back.
I guess it's been a couple days since I read up on all the chatter. I did stop by last night to write a memo of the topics of my groups. Must have been glazed over because as I look at them tonight I'm all charged up.

I have the perfect stamp for a background for Plain Jane's In the woods from the company Our Daily Bread and another for her's in group 3 "ROAD TRIP" can't wait.

Norma... Love your company. I found out more about you tonight. I sometimes don't understand mother nature ... so is it normally rainy in summer there? I should know this by pure geography as I once taught weather and climate I figure you must be on the west side of a mountain range or at least that's my best guess. When I was 13 I wrote down that I was going to write a book of poetry. I have a poem I wrote a while back about rain as well. I'm going to have to dig it out and share it with you sometime.

LabrarDork- Laugh when I read your signature... perhaps Cupcake Habit is a topic to consider.

Sybil--- Ice Cream Parlor... Fantastic theme

Prairiejen... Great topics too... Dr. Suess... is your family out and about again this summer? I guess I could've guessed soccer mom ..lol do you have a minivan? I want to get to the LAKE

Oh boy today Joyce posted a chatty question...
Well last song I sang along with was Geez.. I can't even remember and i sing a lot. I'm thinking it was probably something of Michael W Smith like Mighty to Save... Michael W Smith - Mighty To Save - Legendado - YouTube or Above All Michael W. Smith - Above All (With Lyrics) - YouTube

SybilMcC.. When did you update your avitar... Your pup's cute.
Childhood toy.. a stuffed animal dog named "Ginger." Why do I have it- I guess I don't wanna grow up.

Sybil- mom has one of those twisted spoons too. Wonder if it was something mentioned in a magazine or newspaper or just how they thought it up.

STEAMPUNK CHALLENGED...ROFL. I have done a few projects on this theme and agree that it is something out of my comfort zone. There was a Castle TV episode called The Steampunk Empire... I would recommend it for inspiration
Castle S03E04 - Steampunk - YouTube
I don't know why but I like chitty chitty bang bang ingenuity as I'm going steampunk.

Well... hopefully you will know that I haven't fallen off my rocker during this marathon post. Just being in the mood for my friends. HUGs from Wi.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #137

Hi Marilyn - We usually have a warm sunny summer, but over the past few years things have changed, so we don't ever know what to expect. We have a fair here that runs from the middle of August until the September long weekend and in the past it is inevitable that those two weeks are notorious for rain. The past couple of years it has been gorgeous. Who figures? And yes we live on the coast and west of the mountains
but if you live against the mountain area, they tend to get more rain. Vancouver has some beautiful beaches and parks, and of course lots of trees. Ask PlainJane how pretty our neck of the woods is. We share a combined picture perfect Pacific Northwest,
as cross border buddies.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #138
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning all

Today is an epic morning around here. DS is leaving home for a week to go to Scout camp. This will be the longest period of time he has been away from home in his life. Even more importantly, away from his computer. LOL I'm not sure he's thought that part out completely. I may take a picture of it & send it to him this week.

Today's questions....

1. Closet organization....are you organized or disorganized? Do you share a closet with someone or have your own? If your organized, how are you organized? By seasons or colors, ect.

2. Do you journal or not? If you do, how long have you been doing it and how did you get started. (BonnieBeth...this question was inspired from your blog - I love your journal!)

I love that ya'll are chatting up the questions Keep it up!

---------
Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #139

Today's questions....

1. Closet organization....are you organized or disorganized? Do you share a closet with someone or have your own? If your organized, how are you organized? By seasons or colors, ect.

BOTH.. mostly disorganized. I share a typical closet with DH.. a major change from our previous house which was a walk in with built in dressers and shelves. . . oh well.. I have limited space so I pull out and pack away winter while it's summer
Organized as short sleeve, long sleeve, pants, skirts, jackets...
two shelves of folded clothes organized by article of clothing.
I have a messy craft room... and messier craft room floor.

2. Do you journal or not? If you do, how long have you been doing it and how did you get started. (BonnieBeth...this question was inspired from your blog - I love your journal!)

Journal... only occasionally...I mostly write about fatness, anger, melancholy, disappointment, (it even sounds... Dreadful- YIKES)

Bonniebeth.. she's right the journal on your blog is neato.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #140
Glitter Guru

Okay I'm two days behind, but am caught up now.
Steampunk is not my thing, but I have created and ATC I like so I will be sticking with it.
Singing in the car. All the time. I work nights and sometimes singing helps keep me awake on the drive home. Thanksfully no one can hear me.
Closet is somewhat organized (love the Container Store). It is organized in 2 ways, clothes that fit and those that don't (althought I recently gave away alot of the don't fits) and by summer and winter. We only have two seasons in Texas Hot and cooler.
No I don't journal. I'm not leaving any evidence behind.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #141
SCS Swap Moderator

You make me laugh.

Clothes that fit & don't fit....hahahaha And leaving no evidence behind - now I want to know the good stuff

---------
Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #142

CLOSET OGANIZATION. What's that? Since we moved this year, our closet space has disappeared. The only organization we have is, this side is mine and that side is yours.
Our jackets hang on pegs at the front door. I have put extra linens into bags for storage. But I still have a long way to go and some sorting for goodwill.

DO I SING IN THE CAR? If I am by myself, sometimes. If I am with DH, never. He's a party pooper in his old age. LOL.

DO I JOURNAL? I used to and I still have my journals, but I haven't done that for a long time.

WHAT'S MY FAVOURITE TOY? Her name is Heather and she is almost as old as me. I got her when I was seven. She is one of the first walking dolls made and I loved her to death. I actually took her to the dolly hospital and got her new hair and clothes. But unfortunately something got to her hand, and her fingers are gone. But I still have her.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #143

Closet organized? Nope. Sometimes the clothes don't even make it past the top of the dryer.
Journal? Nope, although I'm in awe of Bonnie's.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #144
Compulsive Stamper

Group 6 Cruise (Caribbean)
Group 10 Inspirational
Group 11 Moving/New Home

Thanks much!!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #145
Compulsive Stamper

and group 5 Cruise/Beach (Caribbean)
I have 3 cruises and a honeymoon in Playa to scrapbook. I'm behind!!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #146
Glitter Guru

I have a doll my grandmother gave me when I was around 8 and she is wearing a dress that she sewed for her.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #147
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdixon View Post
Group 6 Cruise (Caribbean)
Group 10 Inspirational
Group 11 Moving/New Home

Thanks much!!
Hi! Welcome aboard.

I love having new players, but I will have to ask that you pick just two categories to start. Since this is your first time in a PAT swap, you might have missed the paragraph in the thread header that reads....

"Please Note: Each swap position has an individually selected theme, so in this type of swap there are NO ANGELS and NO SUBSTITUTIONS so please keep that in mind when you sign up. FLAKERS will be reported to moderators and will not be welcome in further swaps. Newcomers are EXTREMELY welcome however I ask that they only sign up for a maximum of 2 spots for their first time around. Be fair to your fellow swappers, mail on time and if real life happens, please let me know ASAP."

If you let me know which two you would like, we will happily add you to those groups. And since your new around here, tell us a little bit about yourself so we can get to know you better. We love meeting new swappers!

---------
Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaporte View Post

SybilMcC.. When did you update your avitar... Your pup's cute.

Sybil- mom has one of those twisted spoons too. Wonder if it was something mentioned in a magazine or newspaper or just how they thought it up.

Well... hopefully you will know that I haven't fallen off my rocker during this marathon post. Just being in the mood for my friends. HUGs from Wi.
Just commenting on the stuff that pertains to me:

I love the old Ice Cream Parlor tables and chairs. Himself's first job was driving a truck for a company that made ice cream for "drugstore ice cream parlors." When they started closing them down, he bought me a little table and four chairs. They are long gone now but I loved those old things.

Charlie is our "new" dog. You know I lost my precious Flossie Belle last year and swore I never would have another one. I just couldn't get past the hurt of her being gone. Well, someone abandoned Charlie at a motel where my niece was staying. She called and said "Come here now, your dog is here". He had been very neglected, had a big hernia on his belly, fleas, skin problems, tapeworms, ears packed up with fur and gunk, teeth in bad shape. We got him cleaned up and up to date on everything, shots etc. He had surgery for the hernia, teeth fixed up, ears cleaned out, and gradually he has gotten well. He was very unpleasant the first couple of weeks, and despite him being so cute I was afraid I had made a mistake. He bit me every time I tried to comb his ears or tail, when I would try to make him move or do anything. I worked with him, giving him treats and petting and "Cooing" to him, and now he is precious. He understands that I am not going to hurt him, and he absolutely adores me. Is never more than a few feet from me, sleeps with his head on me, and I don't know what I did without him. I think he was just mistreated before, and now he has "GOT IT MADE". I didn't want another Shih Tzu because of the expense of grooming, but now that we have him straightened out he is so beautiful. And I didn't want a male dog, but he has changed my mind about that too. I guess he is a keeper.

I don't know about the spoons, whether it was just something they did to help little fingers hold them better. But my kids ate with it when they were babies and I still keep it.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #149

Welcome, msdixon. You are going to love PATs. Let us know if you have any questions.

Sybil McC, Charlie sounds adorable. Lucky dog to come live with "Herself."
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #150

Quote:
Good morning all

Today is an epic morning around here. DS is leaving home for a week to go to Scout camp. This will be the longest period of time he has been away from home in his life. Even more importantly, away from his computer. LOL I'm not sure he's thought that part out completely. I may take a picture of it & send it to him this week.

Today's questions....

I love that ya'll are chatting up the questions Keep it up!
1. Closet organization???????? NO
2. Journal? NO
When I went to college I journalled every day, and when I look back at that I just have such mixed feelings. Sad things, hilarious things, good things. I always wonder why I don't do that now. Or keep a diary or something.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #151

[QUOTE=parknslide;19526433]Welcome, msdixon. You are going to love PATs. Let us know if you have any questions.

Sybil McC, Charlie sounds adorable. Lucky dog to come live with "Herself."[/QUOTE]

He didn't think he was so lucky on bath day. But it went well. He is sooooo sweet.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #152

I have a sneak peak in the gallery. (if you're into peaking)
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by normat View Post
I have a sneak peak in the gallery. (if you're into peaking)
Of course I peeked. You really did a good job. As a real Steampunk expert (Hahahahaha) I think it is absolutely perfect. I have no idea what I will do with that theme.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #154

Well there you go then. If enough of us band together, everyone will think we are marvellous. We don't need to let them in on our secret. (We don't know what we are doing. shhhhhh!)
Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #155
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I do love to journal and art journalling is the best because if it's private stuff you can write it and then gesso over it. Art journalling is so relaxing because there are no rules and I do it for enjoyment so anything goes. I've been art journalling for about 6 months. It's addictive...and messy.
My closets are organized. It drives me nuts when I can't find something. My craft room closet is less organized but still pretty good. I am so visual and right-brained that I have to be able to see my stuff so the closet doors are always open.
Sybil, congrats on your new dog, lucky little fellow. It sounds like you needed each other.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #156
Polyshrink Goddess

Norma...your steampunk is awesome. I've done tons of steampunk and I would be thrilled to get this one. Sybil, you'll be fine. Everything you do is wonderful.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #157
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Hi! Welcome aboard.

I love having new players, but I will have to ask that you pick just two categories to start. Since this is your first time in a PAT swap, you might have missed the paragraph in the thread header that reads....

"Please Note: Each swap position has an individually selected theme, so in this type of swap there are NO ANGELS and NO SUBSTITUTIONS so please keep that in mind when you sign up. FLAKERS will be reported to moderators and will not be welcome in further swaps. Newcomers are EXTREMELY welcome however I ask that they only sign up for a maximum of 2 spots for their first time around. Be fair to your fellow swappers, mail on time and if real life happens, please let me know ASAP."

If you let me know which two you would like, we will happily add you to those groups. And since your new around here, tell us a little bit about yourself so we can get to know you better. We love meeting new swappers!
Actually, it's not my first time. I have participated in several under the name kerioke and have also hosted a few swaps in the past. I have recently remarried and could not figure out how to change my name so I created a new one. I can do 2 under this name and 2 under my old name if need be but they will all be sent in the same envelope. Let me know. Looking forward to playing.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #158
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Keri -- welcome back! Did you tell us you got married and I missed it? Geez, I HAVE been out of things lately!

Congratulations!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #159
Hardware Hotshot

Sybil -- Charlie is why you didn't want a new dog...you were being saved for the one that needed you.

Norma -- I don't know why you are worried about missing mojo and steampunk...you done good! About that perfectly lovely Pacific northwest thing...it rained on me today. Again. Crap. I understand summer is coming on July 5th. As usual!

Joyce -- closet organization? Well, I can find stuff, and I can see the floor. Is that good enough? Tidy, yes. Organized, not so much.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #160

Default ode to this morning... by Marilyn

Good Morning to You!
Good Morning to You!
The sun has awoken
Birds chirp-they've spoken
"The night is all through"
Closed Thread