Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #841
October Swapper of the Month 2012

I am going to check your stuff, Bonnie. I have been out watching neighbors gathered around trying to get a cat out of a tree.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #842
Polyshrink Goddess

HA! I tricked the upload gremlins and got those last 4 in there before they knew what was happening! I loaded them one at a time..sneaky and very quietly. If you listen carefully, you'll hear the gremlins shrieking with dismay as they realize I won! Hee! hee! Hee!
Sybil, I hope they get the cat down. We once had our cat so high up a tree and held there with branches so he couldn't get back down. After two days, Hydro came with their cherry picker and got him down. He was fine but not happy for a while.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #843

I looked and left you some love. You do such pretty things.

The cat is still in the tree, has been there since last night. In a tree between his house and the neighbor. The neighbor got all the way up to him with a ladder, climbed out on a limb to get him, and he went up higher. The lady who owns him is really upset, because he is only 9 months old and an indoor kitty. The neighborcame back down. They don't know what to do, it is a pine tree an the limbs are really breaking. It is cold out there, and also almost dark and the kitty is mostly black, so I think they are going to just wait him out. It is supposed to be cold and rainy tonight. Poor little guy. I don't know if the fire department rescues cats any more........
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #844
SCS Swap Moderator

I just love the stuff you all talk about when I'm not around.

Happy New Year to all my wonderful friends

(Yeah, I know it's early. I'll probably be asleep before midnight)

---------
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #845

Happy New Year.
It is very quiet here, no partying seems to be going on around us yet.
Himself picked up some pills at the vet today just in case Charlie freaks out. He was a basket case on July 4. Of course he had only been with us a couple of months and would freak out over the least little thing. He is much more laid back now, but sometimes he has flashbacks or something. Loud noises scare him, and if we pick up anything that looks like a stick he runs and hides. Poor baby. Hopefully the firecrackers won't scare him, but if he acts really bad I will pop him a part of a pill. I have never given any of my critters tranquilizers but have never had one who was exactly like Charlie, either.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #846
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaraul View Post
I just did a mapquest.....I might have to plan a trip to Georgia this summer. You and Sybil are about 50 miles from one another. That sounds like a lunch date to me.
I'm game for that!

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

I'm always tardy for the party, but I bring glitter and sprinkles for everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #847
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm hearing lots of booms and such and one of the dogs is flipping out. The other one is afraid of his own shadow, so he's laying under the recliner and I wouldn't be surprised if he had his paws over his ears.

I may have to look into some calming things for these furbabies. Let me know how Charlie does, Sybil. We've tried some Chamomile treats with Batman (the scaredy one with the beard) in the past, but they are a bit expensive and the recommended dose for a 70lb dog is oh about half of the jar.

I'm always tardy for the party, but I bring glitter and sprinkles for everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #848

So far it is still pretty quiet and Charlie is just sleeping away. I haven't given him the happy pill, and will wait a little longer to see how noisy it is. He is much calmer now than when we rescued him so he may be OK as long as he sits with me. Himself and the other two have gone to bed. Nothing bothers them. It usually doesn't get too noisy until just about midnight, and then doesn't last too long. It is cold outside so maybe it will just fizzle out this year.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #849

Well, I did give Charlie 1/2 of a Benadryl, I have been giving it to him for the itches. He slept in my lap, and raised up at midnight and acted a little scared. I just kept rubbing his head and talking to him. The noise was over in about 10 minutes and started snoring. I took him and put him to bed. Now I hear some popping again, why don't these folks go to bed?????
Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #850
Swapper of the Month September 2012

Quote:
How does that work exactly? Pre-engaged? Is thst anything like getting a promise ring, or going steady? (yeah, that how we used to do it....I still have a promise ring from back in the day.)

And Congratulations to her
I had a promise ring too. How do you feel about this news?

Happy New Year everyone, in my craft room for a while this morning sending out Thank You's then resuming on my PAT's got two done.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #851
SCS Swap Moderator

I'm 50% complete with my PATs. One set done, one set to go. I'm still trying to decide which technique I am going to try, and I'm waiting for my guys to leave before I get back to being inky.

---------
Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #852
Swapper of the Month September 2012

No fireworks where I live last night but an enormous bonfire out in the cold. Still smoldering this morning.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #853

Everything is very quiet outside this morning. I am cooking chicken and cornbread dressing, collards, blackeyed peas, and stewed squash with onions. Can you smell it?
Y'all come on down! Gotta start the New Year out right.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #854
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Sneak peeks of Group 2 are in my gallery:Splitcoaststampers Member Galleries - parknslide - Handmade Cards & Crafts

I posted "Oops!" on my blog as I was thinking the SCS Art Police might be a bit offended by my humor. I'm sure that my PAT IFFs will not be offended: Paulette's a Paper-Artzy: OOPS!!!

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey but I've turned myself around.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #855

I peeked, and while the themes are sort of .........well different you made the ATCs perfect. And I looked at the "Oops" and almost did what it said. Oooooh GIRL!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #856
SCS Swap Moderator

Ain't she the funny one? hee hee hee

And naughty too!

Good afternoon gals

DH & DS go back to school/work tomorrow. Maybe then I'll be able to have a moment or two to chat & get some fun generating again. Aren't these holidays ever going to end? I'm about holiday-ed out.

---------
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #857

Remember the cat up the tree I told you about on Saturday night? He is still up there. It has been so cold and raining and it just still gets higher. Nobody can get it to come down, and it is up there howling. Himself has called animal control and the vet and everyone we can think of, and they don't have any suggestions. The fire department doesn't do cats. Breaks my heart.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #858
SCS Swap Moderator

If it's any consolation, I've never seen a dead cat in the top of any tree. They usually come down on their own - eventually. He's howling at himself for being such a silly cat. If it were a dog, I would be MUCH more concerned.

The Lord will look out for him and will eventually give him the cat wisdom he needs to come down the way he went up. Perhaps he's sending the rain as an incentive to do it sooner rather than later.

---------
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #859

Himself said the same thing, and the animal control people said if it were a dog they would come out. But a dog wouldn't be in this particular predicament.
I had always heard they would eventually come down, but some years ago one of our friend's cats died in a tree. They found him hanging there, so sad. Well this one is only 9 months old, and has never been out of the house before and seems to be fairly stupid. When our neighbor, Tony, went up the tree with a ladder the cat went further up. Himself says that when Tony gets home he will talk with him about putting some smelly food on the lower limb and see if it will try to come down to it. Tony owns the tree, not the cat.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #860
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SybilMcC View Post
Himself said the same thing, and the animal control people said if it were a dog they would come out. But a dog wouldn't be in this particular predicament.
I had always heard they would eventually come down, but some years ago one of our friend's cats died in a tree. They found him hanging there, so sad. Well this one is only 9 months old, and has never been out of the house before and seems to be fairly stupid. When our neighbor, Tony, went up the tree with a ladder the cat went further up. Himself says that when Tony gets home he will talk with him about putting some smelly food on the lower limb and see if it will try to come down to it. Tony owns the tree, not the cat.
Nope, never heard of a dog getting stuck high up in a tree, although they can get themselves in some interesting predicaments...wedged in a sewer pipe, stuck on an island in the middle of a raging river, caught in a crawl space under a house.
I would have suggested some tuna on a branch about 6 feet from the ground. That kitty should be pretty hungry by now. Just put it up there and walk away - no coaxing, no audience. Cats are funny about being watched. I had one that would go up in my neighbor's tree for no good reason. I'd call her and she'd yowl back at me, but wouldn't come down until I went back in the house. The fact that it went higher up is actually a good sign - at least it's not stuck or has its collar caught on something.
I've been so busy lately and am just now getting some free time. I have everything together for these PATs and plan on working on them tonight and through the weekend.
I am happy to announce that another dog has come into my life. She is a 2 1/2 year old Mastiff that was picked up as a stray about 60 miles from where I live. I named her Lexus and she is a treasure - already housebroken, has basic obedience down and fits in like she's been here her whole life. I am facing the difficult decision to put my other dog to rest so having her here will soften the pain in my heart, I hope...
Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #861

I am so happy you rescued a doggy. It helped make me feel better about losing my Flossie to have Charlie come along. It is so sad when they need to go and we have to help them. I'll be thinking of you.
The cat problem is there aren't any limbs close that low. Tony had a ladder and climbed way up on Sunday, and the kitty just kept going higher. Hopefully he will come down soon. Nobody is physically able to get to him. It is a very tall tree. So sad to hear him crying. Tony's kids are really having a hard time with it. The cat's owner doesn't seem too upset. I would be shimmying my fat old self up that tree my own self if it were my cat or calling a tree service or something. I am very protective and wrapped up in my critters I suppose.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #862
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Cloudia - congrats on your new doggy family member and kudos for you for rescuing. My dogs have all been rescues. The doggie I have now had a really bad start in life. I may be the Queen of Inkland, but she is the Queen of Everything (as Mary E. would say) LOL and she is living the good life
Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #863

I finished group 1 tonight and there are peeks in the gallery if you would like to see them.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #864
Crimping Master

Quote:
I am so happy you rescued a doggy. It helped make me feel better about losing my Flossie to have Charlie come along. It is so sad when they need to go and we have to help them. I'll be thinking of you.
The cat problem is there aren't any limbs close that low. Tony had a ladder and climbed way up on Sunday, and the kitty just kept going higher. Hopefully he will come down soon. Nobody is physically able to get to him. It is a very tall tree. So sad to hear him crying. Tony's kids are really having a hard time with it. The cat's owner doesn't seem too upset. I would be shimmying my fat old self up that tree my own self if it were my cat or calling a tree service or something. I am very protective and wrapped up in my critters I suppose.
You and me both, Sybil. You should have seen what I went through before I realized my darn cat could get down that tree by herself! I swear you could hear her giggling. I hope this works out okay - I'll be thinking worrying about that little feline. It's heart-wrenching to hear them cry and there's nothing you can do.
Yeah, I'm really struggling with letting my dog go. I'm usually very logical about this, but this one is different. She's like my guardian angel and it just sucks that her body is failing her while her spirit stays strong.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #865
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfInkland View Post
Cloudia - congrats on your new doggy family member and kudos for you for rescuing. My dogs have all been rescues. The doggie I have now had a really bad start in life. I may be the Queen of Inkland, but she is the Queen of Everything (as Mary E. would say) LOL and she is living the good life
In my younger years, my ex and I bred Boxers. We were recognized by the AKC, blah, blah, blah. While I admire those who are dedicated to purebreds, I am a rescuer at heart. I don't know this one's story, but when I got her, she was a fur-covered skeleton at 68 pounds. I've got her up to 85 pounds and she will probably look her best at 90-95 pounds. I just need to convince her that she's not a lap dog - she is such a sweetie. I've had friends tell me they want to come back as my dog - I take spoiling to a whole new level!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #866

I am putting before and after pictures of Charlie here so you can see the difference. He stayed in that crouched position for weeks when we got him and would dodge and cringe when we went toward him. Now he doesn't even look away when I reach out to him. I think when they have been through bad stuff and then get a good, loving home, they are grateful. All of my critters have been very spoiled too, but some, well, like my little Rosie, just aren't appreciative. She can be sweet, but she doesn't enjoy cuddling and doesn't want to be picked up and will only let us pet her when she wants it. Just her personality. Charlie will just come and wallow all over me wanting to be loved, and of course he gets it!
Attached Thumbnails
charlie-1.jpeg   charlie-3-12-12.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #867
Swapper of the Month - May 2013

Good morning everyone. Well, my invalid B-I-L has just left the house in an attempt to drive home to recuperate from his fall in our house. He is doing better although still very limited to walks around the house. We are concerned, as they have a four hour drive ahead of them, so if he is able to make it, he will be one sore puppy. My sister can drive too, so it should help some. As for my cards, WELL, someone took over my computer room with a TV and I haven't been able to do anything. So this weekend will be a do till you drop to finish them and mail them ASAP. What a way to start the new year.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #868
SCS Swap Moderator

Okay....I'm making the executive decision here to extend the deadline until the end of the month. These are now due on the 31st of January

(Can you tell that DH is still home & I haven't been in my crafty space for waaaaay to long?)

Relax Norma - and everyone else who is trying to get done with the holiday "stuff".

I'm changing the front post now.

---------
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #869

Joyce, you are so considerate. I have 5 finished and 7 to go, so with some hustling I would be ready for the 18th, but that does take a little pressure off. THANK YOU!
I have somewhere I have to go EVERY DAY next week. I am taking my friend Susan for a PET scan on Monday, 2 of my doctors Tuesday and Thursday, a craft class Wednesday, and Threads of Love Friday. I have lots of cutting out fabric to do and getting stuff ready for the class on Wednesday. Do you think February will bring some normal back to all of us, whatever that is?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #870
SCS Swap Moderator

Oh my goodness, I hope so.

I may have to make a T-shirt....Desperately Seeking Normal.

---------
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #871
Swapper of the Month - May 2013

Oh, thank you Joyce. That does take the pressure off. I had fully expected to spend the week between the holiday on my cards, but with daily drives to the hospital for my sister to visit her DH and then his stay in "my" room, it just wasn't in the cards (pun) to be anything creative, or to be annoying to him in his pain, while I barged in on him constantly.
My son in law was leaving for work as they readied themselves to leave too, and his parting remark was: "Well, we will have to see what we can plan for entertainment next year to top this one". They both laughed, with my bro-in-law holding his ribs. Just got a phone call part way in their journey home, and so far he is doing okay. As for me, I am going for a haircut and do this afternoon. Gorgeous sunny day, perfect for a drive.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #872

The cat is down. Neighborhood effort. Neighbors behind us brought some dry cat food in a plastic dish and shook it. Cat started down, then back up, etc. Himself pulled his pickup truck under the tree, the cat's mama stood in the truck. We neighbors all pulled a limb down, the mama shook the food, cat came closer and closer down the limb, and when he got close enough she grabbed him by the nape of his neck. She is pretty scratched up, he went a little weird on her. Then she finally got control and he was snuggled up to her and purring when she left with him. We are all full of pine needles and bark, cold and damp, but so glad the kitty is OK. From Saturday morning to Thursday PM is a long time for him to be out in the cold rainy weather without food and water.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #873
SCS Swap Moderator

See, things are looking up already

---------
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #874
Swapper of the Month November 2012

So happy to hear that kitty is safe.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey but I've turned myself around.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #875

Me too. Lots of us were losing sleep over him. He cried and cried. He really looked good for being out in the elements. I hope he is healthy. He seemed hungry enough. So good to have a happy ending to a story like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #876
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Okay....I'm making the executive decision here to extend the deadline until the end of the month. These are now due on the 31st of January

(Can you tell that DH is still home & I haven't been in my crafty space for waaaaay to long?)

Relax Norma - and everyone else who is trying to get done with the holiday "stuff".

I'm changing the front post now.
Yay for Joyce
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #877
Crimping Master

Quote:
Me too. Lots of us were losing sleep over him. He cried and cried. He really looked good for being out in the elements. I hope he is healthy. He seemed hungry enough. So good to have a happy ending to a story like this.
Thanks for the update, Sybil. Glad to hear that kitty is safe, but what an ordeal. I'm guessing that kitty won't see outdoors again!

I have one group of PATs finished and will probably be able to finish the rest this weekend. Even with the extended due date, I still want to get them out on Monday so I can move on to other obligations.

2012 came in like a lamb and out like a lion....2013 came in like a lion. I'm getting too old to deal with lions.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #878
Polyshrink Goddess

Sybil and Paulette..just checked out your galleries. Awesome atcs.

Sybil, I was so relieved to hear that the cat came down with a lot of help. Having been through that with one of our own cats, I knew how awful an experience it is to be helpless to recue the cat. Just heart-wrenching!

Speaking of heart-wrenching, on December 28, we had to take our 15 year old cat (and my sweet buddy) to the vet's for her last ever visit. I'm just so sad about it even though I know it was the right thing to do. Cloudia, I understand your pain with this decision. It's such a tough one.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #879

I am so sorry about your cat. SO SAD to let go of your friend, and my heart hurts for all who are going through that. Thinking of all of you.
And medicating scrapes and scratches I got in the rescue. I didn't know they were there till I felt them stinging this morning. Just hope the little kitty is none the worse for his ordeal. To be exposed to the elements 5 days is scary.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #880
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning

Bonnie - hugs to you...been there, done that - I cry like a baby every time. My heart hurts for you friend

I tried two techniques this morning while the house was empty (!!!) Didn't like the results of either one of them. I must be out of practice.

---------
Closed Thread