Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #681
SCS Swap Moderator

Good questions Norma

I have two stages of Christmas....before I got married and after...

Before I got married, Christmas was an elaborate confection of all things bright and gay. All my packages were wrapped with care, handmade bows, carefully selected paper that coordinated with my designer tree.....creative bliss...ahhhh.

Now they are lucky if the tree gets put up, if the packages are wrapped at all. I live with two of the most "Non participatory" guys on the planet - at least where Christmas is concerned. Living with Asperger's is sometimes a REAL challenge.

So now I wrap and use stick on bows. (My sister LOVES to tease me about that one) I use a different wrapping paper for each person, so I don't need tags. I only use gift bags when I don't have a box that fits. I never am satisfied with the tissue placement in gift bags when I do them.....sigh.

I do reuse the bags and boxes and the paper gets recycled every year.

This year is the first year my DS has had a Christmas list! It's also the first time we've gotten to go shopping as a family, exclusively for Christmas gifts. We went to dinner and then to the mall, and I wore one of my festive Santa hats. It's how I knew the guys could find me if we were separated. It worked! Yay for Christmas victories

---------
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #682
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by normat View Post
Well, I have finished my Christmas Shopping. Bought my tape and tissue and bags, so I can start wrapping at any time. Tomorrow I plan to finish my cards and then I have a couple of weeks to tidy, clean up, maybe even sort some excess for goodwill. If that doesn't get done before Christmas, then it will be put on my 'to do' list for the new year.

Question: Do you like to wrap your gifts, or put them in bags with tissue?
Do you use ribbons and bows or just tag them with handmade nametags?
Do you save your bags and paper, and re-cycle next year?
This year I wrapped most in boxes and added gold and silver ribbon, some years I do bags with tissue. Of course there are always some gifts that bags are the only way to go. I do save the bags from year to year if they are in good shape. But do I remember where I put them next year????
I have everything bought and wrapped just waiting for a few things to arrive that I ordered then those will have to be wrapped.
Then of course since I am done early I start thinking about other things I could have bought my kids then they make out even better.
My husband took me out shopping the other night for my gifts from him...I learned years ago when I received this horrible necklace that he and my two sons picked out...when I opened my daughter looked at him and said "Dad I hope you have the receipt!"
So it is better not to be surprised although some times he does do well with his surprises.

As for the rv trip I'm on my way to pick you all up in the fifth wheel, lets hit the warmer places first. Have the tea ready I am coming!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #683
SCS Swap Moderator

Don't I wish !! (about the big RV trip...)

We were giggling about the "gold lame suit" last night at the mall. Early in my married life, my DH bought me a 3 piece gold lame' suit from Sears. One of those slinky fabric types - soooo not my style. Sister and I couldn't decide if it was a gag gift, or a serious gift. It was a serious gift, which I did return. (And I'm not the type to return gifts - if you bought me something, I try to really respect the effort)

It seemed like all the store windows featured a "gold sparkly" something....sweater, shirt, suit....DH even took a picture of me looking at one in the window. He asked me if I had changed my mind about gold lame' and did I want that for Christmas now?

Nope. Still don't. But we had a good chuckle about it. I took them to William-Sonoma and said "Here is what I want." I think I'm getting a new knife for christmas, but with those two, I can't be sure. It will probably be wrapped in a gold lame' sweater.

---------
Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #684
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaraul View Post
Don't I wish !! (about the big RV trip...)

We were giggling about the "gold lame suit" last night at the mall. Early in my married life, my DH bought me a 3 piece gold lame' suit from Sears. One of those slinky fabric types - soooo not my style. Sister and I couldn't decide if it was a gag gift, or a serious gift. It was a serious gift, which I did return. (And I'm not the type to return gifts - if you bought me something, I try to really respect the effort)

It seemed like all the store windows featured a "gold sparkly" something....sweater, shirt, suit....DH even took a picture of me looking at one in the window. He asked me if I had changed my mind about gold lame' and did I want that for Christmas now?

Nope. Still don't. But we had a good chuckle about it. I took them to William-Sonoma and said "Here is what I want." I think I'm getting a new knife for christmas, but with those two, I can't be sure. It will probably be wrapped in a gold lame' sweater.
I see a new avatar coming on with Joyce in her gold lame!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #685
Swapper of the Month - May 2013

I haven't had a gift from my DH for years. Now before you deck him, let me explain. He is positively useless in a store, except for Rona, or Hometown or the like, so he gives money to my daughter and she shops for him. The height of laziness. Our joke is when I open the gift, I turn to him and say, "Do you like what you bought me?" So this year dtr. is maxed out in time, and she asked me if I had to buy from dad again. I told her no, as boring as it could be, I will buy my own gift instead. But even a chocolate bar wrapped up would be nice too. Oh, well, this old dog has lost his mojo, so what can you expect. Let sleeping dogs lie, in front of his supersized flatscreen.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #686

And Joyce, I like things that sparkle and glitter, but gold lame - I'm with you. Return, baby, return. LOL.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabauer View Post
As for the rv trip I'm on my way to pick you all up in the fifth wheel, lets hit the warmer places first. Have the tea ready I am coming!
I'll be ready, but you might want to wait until spring, as the damp wet weather is coming in, with possible snow flurries. Not a nice time to travel in the Northwest. LOL.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #688
October Swapper of the Month 2012

Question: Do you like to wrap your gifts, or put them in bags with tissue?
Do you use ribbons and bows or just tag them with handmade nametags?
Do you save your bags and paper, and re-cycle next year?

It depends on the gift. Some things just have to be in a bag. I like to use boxes. Sometimes I reuse boxes which is sooooooo funny here. All the kids know now that what the box says does not necessarily mean that is what is in the package. Sometimes I use shoe boxes to wrap underwear and socks. They all know they have reached adult status when they get underwear and socks. I will put a small gift in a large box stuffed with paper just to freak them out. One year the littlest grandson opened a gift and just held it in his lap. He looked at his mom with these big sad eyes and said," I am sorry, Mom, but I really didn't want a teapot."
She said "Open the box, baby. Nanny always puts nice things in goofy boxes." He was pleasantly surprised. That is just my ...."whimsical" way of doing things.
I also bought rubber stamps with everyone's names SPELLED CORRECTLY and sometimes just stamp their names on the packages. They love that.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #689
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning

Who's still trying to get their Christmas cards finished?

Me!

---------
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #690

Quote:
Good morning

Who's still trying to get their Christmas cards finished?

Me!
Me! What? Do you have ESP? I got the Cherry Cobbler cards cut and folded. I got the white panel for the fronts cut. I cut the Cherry Cobbler panels cut, they look beautiful with the white border! I ran the CC panels through the Cuttlebug. BEAUTIFUL!
That's it. Nothing works. I have tried several things and messed up one complete card. I finally put everything away about midnight and said HO HO HO, I will worry about this tomorrah, (ah la Scarlett).
And I woke up with the same feeling. AAAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHH!
Give me inchies any day!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #691
SCS Swap Moderator

So you've got a red/white theme going on and you seem to be stuck on a focal point?

Cardinals
Evergreens sprays (maybe featuring Christmas Inchie)
a wreath
ornaments
poinsettias
santa (a black belt w/gold buckle across the front....Ho, ho, ho on the inside)
reindeer

I have 1/2 of my cards ready for the PO this morning. Someone remind me next year, if I'm going to make a card with lots of fiddly bits that require drying time....start them in JULY!!

---------
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #692

I intended to do the ornament stamps and punch from SU. Bought the whole deal. But working with it last night, one ornament was too simple, two was lopsided, and 3, well with the size they are and the size my cards are, they just overwhelmed. I tried putting holly leaves on and it just .........didn't work. It might be because I ate so much yesterday that I was addlepated. I sometimes just have to put things away and come back to them. This morning I am thinking..........I have a mile and a half of white lace..................
Maybe tonight it will come together in my Night Owl Working Mood. I have lots to do today so won't really be able to think.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #693
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SybilMcC View Post
Me! What? Do you have ESP? I got the Cherry Cobbler cards cut and folded. I got the white panel for the fronts cut. I cut the Cherry Cobbler panels cut, they look beautiful with the white border! I ran the CC panels through the Cuttlebug. BEAUTIFUL!
That's it. Nothing works. I have tried several things and messed up one complete card. I finally put everything away about midnight and said HO HO HO, I will worry about this tomorrah, (ah la Scarlett).
And I woke up with the same feeling. AAAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHH!
Give me inchies any day!
If inchies are your thing, do a really nice inchie, mat it a few times and put it in the corner with a nice ribbon border!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #694

I'm still working on mine as well. I keep my cards reasonably simple because they charge an arm and a leg for postage. After my overseas ones and my many local ones, it costs the same price as a good dinner out. I was going to make some stocking ones using the StampinUp punch, but I soon found out that it was a defective one and it was too late to return it. So they replaced it with a new stamp. Like Joyce said, they need to be started earlier in the day. Oh well, they'll be gone today.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #695
Forum Fanatic

Notice the real me is now my avatar!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #696
Swapper of the Month November 2012

I started my cards last week (I need to make about 86). When I finished (I did iris folding on them), I decided they were too plain. I got out my Cuttlebug & dies and added flourishes & snowflakes. I got 83 of the 86 embellished and have decided they are a nightmare of over-embellishment---reminds me of the old lady who goes to the party wearing every piece of glitzy jewelry she owns. The polar opposite of "less is more." I'm going to send these to non-stamping friends but I'm going to make another set of cards for stamping friends. Still not sure what Plan B is going to look like.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #697

I love your description of your cards, Paulette. After making 86 cards, I think I would have sent them anyway. LOL. Post one, and let us see if we agree. It would beat my
simple simon cards by far.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #698
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Notice the real me is now my avatar!
Did you cut your hair? It looks great

I was thinking about cutting mine a little shorter. Now I know what I'll look like

---------
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #699
SCS Swap Moderator

Paulette, it's a Christmas card. It's supposed to be blingy. LOL

---------
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #700
SCS Swap Moderator

I have completely run out of paper for my Christmas card design. I am also out of the correct size gemstone for the embellishment. I will need to run to HL before I can complete the rest. Fortunately, I have all the stamping done and all of the cutting done for 15 more cards so I can get 90% of them in the mail by Wednesday. Yay!

Besides that, it's raining here and I don't want to go shopping in the rain. So I'm doing a little Christmas procrastinating too.

---------
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #701
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Did you cut your hair? It looks great

I was thinking about cutting mine a little shorter. Now I know what I'll look like
I cut it around mid-summer...was tired of trying to grow it. Well after all we are twins, we should have the same haircut!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #702

I have done plan B with my cards and it is better but still not there. I don't make that many. I made a few for a Christmas party last weekend, and have some left from that, so I am not going to get too bent out of shape about it.
I stuck to the red and white. I found some wide gold gauzy ribbon, and put it vertically down one side, tied it in the middle, and put the ornament I had stamped and punched on there. A little white satin bow............that's it.
Himself thought it was nice. That's all I need to know. Off we go.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #703
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Sybil I'm still laughing at your fridge magnets being on the fridge so your decorating is done.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #704
Forum Fanatic

I just ordered an embroidery machine, so I am thinking I might use embroidery on my techniques I want to use cards.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #705
SCS Swap Moderator

Now we'll all want one.

---------
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #706
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Now we'll all want one.
Maybe we could have gotten a group discount.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #707

Quote:
I just ordered an embroidery machine, so I am thinking I might use embroidery on my techniques I want to use cards.
Lucky you!
I have a machine that does fancy sewing stitches, but not an embroidery machine. When I was looking for a regular sewing machine, Himself saw a machine sitting there all by itself sewing and "making a picture", as he called it. He said "Hon, would you like to have one of them?"
I said of course I would, go get me one.
He came back after talking to the salesman, and said "I ain't never paid that much for nothing that didn't have wheels on it."
I think I understood what that meant. I don't have one.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #708
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Lucky you!
I have a machine that does fancy sewing stitches, but not an embroidery machine. When I was looking for a regular sewing machine, Himself saw a machine sitting there all by itself sewing and "making a picture", as he called it. He said "Hon, would you like to have one of them?"
I said of course I would, go get me one.
He came back after talking to the salesman, and said "I ain't never paid that much for nothing that didn't have wheels on it."
I think I understood what that meant. I don't have one.
Yes there are some very pricey ones but this was only $309.99 from Brother. It only has a 4 x 4 frame to work in but I think for what i will do with it, it will be fine. And it got a five star rating on amazon.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #709
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning

Still deciding what to do with my day....run to post office is a must, but do I want to go shopping this morning for last minute stuff, or wait till DS gets home and do his Christmas shopping too? Hmmm....

I think I'll have a second cup of coffee and think about it for a while.

What are you doing today? Ready for Christmas yet?

---------
Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #710

What are you doing today? Ready for Christmas yet?

Going out to celebrate favorite brother-in-law's birthday at lunch, then to Tanger's Outlet Mall to hopefully finish our Christmas shopping. Still haven't decorated, or put up a tree.
Party tomorrow for my Threads of Love group. Next week is clear so hopefully will get at least a little closer to ready for Christmas. But you know what? It always comes whether I am ready or not.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #711

Good Morning. Well, I got the post office things over with yesterday. What a zoo. The main P.O. was almost out the door, so we drove over to a substation and I had a short wait there. Shopping is done, but I have a couple of things I am waiting for to come in, so I will have one more outing when they phone me. Today is another appointment day, and DH's cardio exercise class. So I will visit with my mother at that time. Dtr is off work today so I'm going upstairs for a morning tea. And that's my day. Have a good one.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #712
Forum Fanatic

I spent the day painting a playroom in a ladybug theme that I was commissioned to do. Coming along great, with finish it up tomorrow. I will post pics.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #713

Ate too much lunch as usual, then finished shopping. Drooping now. Party tomorrow. How much more of this craziness?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #714
SCS Swap Moderator

You're just getting started. It won't be over till after the New year!

---------
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #715

That is true. We usually have a BIG meal on Jan. 1. I usually spend the whole day New Years Eve cooking. Last year none of our kids was able to come, so we had all that food to eat by ourselves. I am ahead of the game this time. Himself brought home two huge bunches of collards a couple of weeks ago. At first I wanted to cry but I decided to just go ahead and wash all of them and partly cook them and freeze them. I thawed some of them and seasoned them and cooked them and took them to a big luncheon last Sunday and they were the hit of the party. People kept asking for my recipe, said they brought back memories of "when my mama cooked them". I have more than enough left for New Year's day, so I will cook some blackeyed peas and cornbread and make a meatloaf and potato salad. Y'all come on down!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #716

Meatloaf! I'd love to be there. I have never had collards, so it would be a treat too. Ah well, one of these days, when I win a lottery. I'll be able to afford visits anywhere.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #717

It would be a lot cheaper to buy some collards and cook them. Can you get them there? I cook mine with ham and onions and garlic and white wine and soy sauce.
I started cooking them that way many years ago. Do you remember Justin Wilson, the Cajun cook that used to be on TV? I have his cookbook, and that is the way he cooked them. Yummy!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #718

Oh Sybil, the collards sound divine. And yes I have seen the Cajun cook a few years back. Didn't watch a lot of him though. I am not sure if we can get collard greens here or not. I'll have to check it out. Now I'm even more hungry, as I go to the kitchen to open a can of Campbells soup. LOL.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #719
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
It would be a lot cheaper to buy some collards and cook them. Can you get them there? I cook mine with ham and onions and garlic and white wine and soy sauce.
I started cooking them that way many years ago. Do you remember Justin Wilson, the Cajun cook that used to be on TV? I have his cookbook, and that is the way he cooked them. Yummy!
I love Justin Wilson!! I used to watch him with my Dad on KET. I'll smile all day just thinking about him

---------
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #720
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning

Questions of the day....(since I'll be out Christmas shopping with Sister today - something to keep you occupied)

1. Who's your favorite TV Chef?

2. If you had to be trapped in a TV show for a month, which show would you choose?

3. What's the best bumper sticker you've ever read?

---------
Closed Thread