Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #401
October Swapper of the Month 2012

1.) In honor of those dealing with Sandy right now, what is the worst natural distaster or storm you've ever been in?

We had a very quick snowstorm in......was it 1981 or 82 or so? We seldom have snow here, and this came in so fast it paralyzed Atlanta and the surrounding area. Not that deep just slick and icy and awful.

2.) What's the oddest thing in your purse/bag right now?

The spool holder off a sewing machine. I have no idea why it is in there.

3.) What technique or tool for crafting would you like to explore but haven't yet?

I have one of those "Arnold Grummer" paper making kits, the whole shebang with the templates and those wood things with screens and all the bells and whistles. I bought it just before I retired so I would have something to do. It has never been out of the box because I haven't had time to try it. I will have to live 300 years to use up all the stuff I have.........
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #402

1.) In honor of those dealing with Sandy right now, what is the worst natural distaster or storm you've ever been in?
We had a snow storm that snuck in on us in 1981 or 82 and it paralyzed Atlanta and the surrounding areas. It came in so quick, and was very slick and icy. We were "snowed in" for several days. It must have been 4 inches deep. Awful.

The spool holder from a sewing machine. I have no idea why it is in there.

3.) What technique or tool for crafting would you like to explore but haven't yet?

I bought a complete Arnold Grummer's Papermaking outfit before I retired, um, 9 years ago. It is still in the box.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #403
SCS Swap Moderator

Papermaking is fun. Messy, but fun

---------
Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #404

Maybe after the first of the year I can do some of that. I love the handmade paper with the flowers and leaves and stuff. And glitter.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #405
Pearl-ExPert

Hi all. Just wanted to check in and see what you have been up to. Quick update: the arm is healing well and I am even typing with both hands again. Thankfully the break is stable and not displaced, so a cast was not necessary. Whew! Physical therapy is helping a lot too. My nose is another matter. It is not doing so great. After the swelling and initial ouchiness (is that a world?) went away, it is still not working right. I fear that may end with another septoplasty.
HOWEVER, as long as my arm continues to do well, I should be crafting again by the holidays. Keep all your fingers crossed! Sorry to have missed this PAT round, but will be in the next one as soon as it opens.

God has been been very good to me, and I have never had to experience anything more severe than a Cat. 1 hurricane in 2003.

My rosary. It's old and falling apart. I have others at home, but keep forgetting to replace it.

Hmm ... don't know about this one. I'm always up to learn new things, especially crafty things!

Hope you are all well, safe and having fun crafting. ttfn
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #406

Kari, I am sure "ouchiness" is a real word. I understand it anyhow. I am glad you are getting better.
Hang in there.............
Old 10-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #407
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning

Questions for today...

1. What was your most recent trip of more than 50 miles?

2. What is your favorite fall activity?

3. What’s the ultimate ice cream sundae?

---------
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #408

Questions for today...

I don't travel that much. I get carsick so I stay close to home. I did go to Richmond VA one time, but that was a long time ago and a long story.

Going to the Fall festivals.

Vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and lots of cherries. YUM!
My blood sugar just went up 20 points thinking about it.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #409
Swapper of the Month - May 2013

Good morning all. We are still having earthquakes, but they are centered off the coast so have not affected our cities. There are a few communities on those islands, but they have not experienced more than shaking, and knocking things off the walls. No major damage or people trauma, thank goodness.

For our daily questions:
1. My most recent trip of 50 miles: was in October during our beautiful Indian fall and we took a drive out to Harrison Lake. Now this is a small resort place with a few hotels, tourist shops, and restaurants on a beautiful lakeside with spectacular views. They have a log pub there, that serves wonderful food and is well worth the drive to have lunch or dinner.

2. Favourite fall day: is driving to find some colour on the hillsides and mountains around us. To see open spaces that means freedom to me. I like to leave the city behind me in search of serenity.

3. The ultimate ice cream sundae?
As long as it has hot chocolate fudge on it and whip cream, I'm a happy camper.
My blood sugars may not be, so it has to be a summer treat once or twice only.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #410
Kookie Creator

Questions for today...

The independently owned scrapbook stores areound me have a "summer passport" that includes 3 stores in MA and 3 stores in CT. At each store you visit you get 20% off your total bill and if you visit at least 5 of the 6 you get entered into a $100 drawing. So, I took a day and drove all around CT (I'm from Boston), it was fun to see the different stores!

Halloween by far! I decorate my whole apt, inside and out. I have a halloween village that I put out that includes graveyards and multiple house like structures. I also put orange and purple lights outside like you would at christmas. I also dress up every year for the Halloween party I have and to take my daughter trick or treating. Yes, I'll admit, I'm a little obsessed! (I have a picture of the village, I'll try to get it uploaded later today.)

Butter pecan icecream with butterscotch topping and nuts. And a cherry or two!

my blog
myCTMH
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #411
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieStats View Post
Okay, here is my contribution to the QOTD.

1.) Tornado 2011 interstate 91. They called it a super cell. Worst thing I have ever experienced, we were trapped in an underpass on the highway and it ripped right through us.
2.) Sorry just cleaned my purse it is pretty normal.
3.) Tim Holtz's 12 tags of Christmas (technique?)
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaraul View Post
Good morning

Questions for today...

1.) Virginia Minnesota
2.) bonfires
3,) Vanilla icecream nothing on it.......?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #413
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=KOneill;19790178]Questions for today...

Halloween by far! I decorate my whole apt, inside and out. I have a halloween village that I put out that includes graveyards and multiple house like structures. I also put orange and purple lights outside like you would at christmas. I also dress up every year for the Halloween party I have and to take my daughter trick or treating. Yes, I'll admit, I'm a little obsessed! (I have a picture of the village, I'll try to get it uploaded later today.)

Here is the picture!
Attached Thumbnails
img-20121007-00279.jpg  

my blog
myCTMH
Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #414
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Default I've Been Published!!!

Check out this ATC I made for PAT 23---I sent in a duplicate to "Just Steampunk" magazine and I've just been notified that it has been published. Sooooooo excited: Steampunk by parknslide - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey but I've turned myself around.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #415
Polyshrink Goddess

Congratulations, Paulette. I just saw this on your blog and am delighted for you. I feel like I won a prize just cuz I know you! It's a huge accomplishment to be published and in this case certainly well deserved. The atc is fabulous!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #416
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaraul View Post
Good morning

Questions for today...

1. I went to a crop in Galesburg Illinois a couple of weeks ago ... about a 12 hour drive.
2. Picking apples, decorating for Halloween, although I haven't done much this year.
3. Hot fudge, peanuts, crushed scor bar
Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #417
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi ladies! I gonna try to keep my answers short and sweet since I'm behind and all. I have so much fun reading about you all.

Papermaking...I tried it when I was a kid. Made a screen and everything. Lots of fun and definitely messy! I'll have to try that out again one day. May be a great way to do something with all of the bits of paper I have laying about.

Krystal, I love your Halloween village! Too cute. I love Halloween and I can't believe I'm gonna have to take down my decorations this week :'(

Paulette, congratulations! I got one of your creations in that swap. What a treasure!

1) How long have you been crafting?
Since i was kneehigh to a fly. My mom was a crafter and she got me into sewing, flowermaking, baking, and interior design. I started scrapboooking when I was in 5th grade and have become an ephemera hoarder, er collector since then!

2) What is your favorite thing(s) to make?
Pretty much anything! I really do like doing ATC's and mixed media projects though.

3) What is your favorite color?
Aubergine

4) How often do you craft? Everyday.
If I didn't I'd probably lose my mind.

1) What 3 crafting things/ tools could you not live without?
Precision scissors, Red sticky tape, *cough*glitter*cough*

2) What is on your crafting space right now?
It's more like, "What is my crafting space on right now?" I craft everywhere. So, there's a few Halloween projects on the dining room table (last minute ideas that will last for years...just not in time for this one!) There's heat embossing stuff on one of the kitchen counters. The arm of the sofa next to me has my paper trimmer, my copies of the Rainbow ATC swap, and a random stack of AC Patterned Paper. On the little table behind the sofa, there are a few sets of dyed and painted clips for that swap. In my craft room? Too many projects to name! I probably have a problem...

3) What are you afraid of?
Snakes and failure. I broke my ankle when I was a teenager because my dad told me he saw a snake near the porch sometime that week. Long story short...I had no other option of getting into the house at the time, and decided to run as fast as I could up wet, wood steps to avoid seeing the snake (that wasn't even there anymore). I slid across the bottom step and my ankle slammed into the edge of the next step and that's all she wrote. Then there was the time I crashed my bike because I saw a snake on the sidewalk. I got stories for days. More recently, my daughter says, "Mommy, there's a snake hole near the bushes by the front door." Then a few days later, she sees it, then she sees it again the next day. Then I see it. Instantly traumatized. Guess who refused to anywhere near the front door for a month? The only reason I started back going through the front door is because it got cold and I know those critters don't like cold.

1.) In honor of those dealing with Sandy right now, what is the worst natural disaster or storm you've ever been in?
Probably the ice/snow situation last year. We were the laughingstock of the US. Atlanta is "unprepared and has poor planning," blah blah blah. I can't say it wasn't a hard week, but I can't justify my city/state allocating funds toward snow tires, chains and ice melt if it only happens every so often. Heck, we got a week off of work and out of school and the first few days, it was actually nice snow, so I wont complain.

Surprisingly nothing weird at the moment. I cleaned it out! I do have 3 different hand sanitizers in there though. Not sure how that happened.

3.) What technique or tool for crafting would you like to explore but haven't yet? I'd like to try more mixed media projects. I really want to go to Sam Flax or Dick Blick and just buy a bunch of art mediums and gels and see what I can come up with.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL for a family reunion

Ummm...this is hard. I love Halloween and Thanksgiving and apple picking and festivals and the leaves changing and smelling the burning of leaves and sweaters and boots...I could go on forever...

3. What’s the ultimate ice cream sundae? Butter pecan ice cream, birthday cake froyo, white chocolate mousse froyo, wet walnuts, homemade whipped cream, and cherries. (yea, I'd probably need an iron stomach to get down with that).

I'm always tardy for the party, but I bring glitter and sprinkles for everyone!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #418
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning

Yay! Paulette is awesome and now everyone else knows it You make sure you remember us little people now, ya hear?

Danielle - What are wet walnuts?

---------
Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #419
Swapper of the Month - October 2013

Krystal- Nice set up!! I love those things. I wish my daughter would convince me to start collecting them... lol!

Paulette- Thats awesome! I love steampunk, I'm so glad its gotten into the papercrafts world, and you're work is great-you really deserve it.

Last June, we went to the Wisconsin Dells for vacation.

Present shopping and shiny light watching.

Vanilla ice cream with carmel, crushed oreos and cashews. Nom nom nom.

Last edited by PookieStats; 10-31-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #420

Paulette, steampunk queen.!!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #421

Well, Joyce, if those walnuts were out here on the coast right now, I could fully understand what a wet walnut was. But she's got me over a barrel.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #422
Swapper of the Month - December 2013

Paulette, you are truly amazing! Congrats!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #423

When I was a little girl we used to get sundaes with chopped walnuts in some kind of syrup stuff, maybe maple syrup. They poured it over with a cute little ladle. It was in a little Miss Georgia Daries Ice Cream Shop. A LONG time ago. Maybe that is "wet walnuts".
My mouth is watering.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #424
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning

I am posing a Question of the day with an ulterior motive, so please answer....

When you look at your paper projects - cards, tags, journals, ATCs, Inchies, Twinchies, ect....Which ones are needs, as in "I need to send a birthday card" or "I just want to make an Inchie today". Since everyone looks at their creativity differently I am asking what do you want to have on hand for giving to others, and what do you make just for the creative outlet it offers you? Detailed answers get extra bonus points (I'm cooking up a swap here...hint, hint)

---------
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #425

99% of what I make is because I need to make it for a swap, to send for an occasion, to donate to my daughter's Hula Assn., to post on my blog or send in as a requirement/challenge for my design team, to submit for publication or to give to a family member or friend as a pack of cards as a gift. If I'm "on a roll" and I've got a good idea for a design or extra paper, I sometimes make duplicates or similar cards to have in my stash for future occasions. Once in a while I make a card "just because" or to try out a new toy or idea I see online or in a book. I used to make a duplicate of everything I swapped or sent to keep as a reference but I'm over that. I take pictures of everything I make and upload them to my computer---most of them get posted here in the SCS gallery and some make onto my blog. I have very few cards on hand to send to friends/family for occasions such as B'days and often have to pull something together at the last minute. I don't do card swaps here on SCS as I wouldn't send out cards I didn't make and the return Inchies, ATCs & Twinchies are much easier to store than cards.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #426
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!

Wet walnuts are the devil, bu they taste so darn good. Especially when warmed *drools* It's pretty much what Sybil said, walnuts and maple syrup or corn syrup. Delicioustastic, I tell ya!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #427

Maybe that is a Georgia thing. I used to love it too. Do they still use that anywhere?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #428
Polyshrink Goddess

It must be! I see the frozen yogurt places doing them. I hadn't seen them for awhile and once those little places started popping up everywhere, they've been carrying every topping you can think of! lol I still think TCBY has the best though.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #429
Kookie Creator

Hello!
I completely agree with Paulette on the card front. I recently participated in a swap one on the CTMH consulatant bullitin board and was very disappointed with some of the things I received back. I figured that if you sell the stuff you should know how to use it, and apparently I was wrong!

I absolutely LOVE graphic 45 papers and love to make stuff for my craft room out of their products - here is an example. Besides that I like to scrap about my daughter, although I am WAY behind! LOL

my blog
myCTMH
Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #430
Swapper of the Month - October 2013

Joyce-I'm not sure if I'm quite answering the question that you're asking, but here goes! I am most productive on anything from inchies to scrapbooks if I have a reason (ie another person!) that I'm making them for. Whether its a gift or charity donation or swap, my best and all the way finished projects usually have another party on the recieving end. When I feel crafty and don't have a project, I like to just play. Try out new stamps in different inks and papers, try new media like chalks and watercolors pencils, use punches and play with both punches and the negatives, ribbon work or bead work on scraps of paper. What I end up with are lots of pieces that I end up using in the future. Everyone has different stamps, some people have die cut machines and some punchs, some people are better at different mediums like embossing and coloring with copic markers or alcohol inks. It would be cool to trade bits, I think. Trims and borders and card candy, die cuts and stamped images... Stuff to have on hand to make other creations with!
Does that almost answer your question?

Last edited by PookieStats; 11-01-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #431
SCS Swap Moderator

Yes it does. And it gives me another idea for a "first of the year" swap. Thanks!

---------
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #432
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmmm...I like having things on hand to give to others like cards and such and I have a lot of them! I've got four thank you cards from swaps on my lap right now! Got to hand them out at work tomorrow. Peggie Sue's swap was fun as well, with the address cards, thank you cards, and postage holders, as they come in handy with all of this swapping! I really like to be creative with some kind of theme. Like the PAT's are awesome. Event he Rainbow swap. Having some kind of blanket theme and being able to interpret it as you please. I love those and I often get ideas for things to make for myself while I'm doing my creative brainstorming for the themes.

I'm definitely into altering, embellishing, and mixed media; for myself and for others!

I'm curious to know what you're cooking up over there, Joyce!!

In other news: I found a 3 inch long bolt in my purse today whilst looking for change to fuel my coffee habit. There goes my weird item from the QOTD a few days ago. I knew my purse seemed a little too "normal" to be true. LOL.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #433
Kookie Creator

Good Morning everyone! Happy Friday!!

my blog
myCTMH
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #434
SCS Swap Moderator

Good morning crafty peeps

---------
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #435
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by parknslide View Post
Check out this ATC I made for PAT 23---I sent in a duplicate to "Just Steampunk" magazine and I've just been notified that it has been published. Sooooooo excited: Steampunk by parknslide - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
YOU GO GIRL!!!! That's a great ATC. Steampunk is just getting more and more popular. I even saw a funny video where a guy dressed up like a steampunk character was singing about "just stick a gear on it and call it steampunk." It was hilarious! We are proud of you Paulette, and you should pat yourself on the back. Congrats!!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #436

Paulette, is this the same magazine?
Ink Stains: Just Steampunk 2 Magazine!!
I follow Roni's blog and have bought her book, and she has some stuff in there and I just wondered if it was the same one.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by SybilMcC View Post
Paulette, is this the same magazine?
Ink Stains: Just Steampunk 2 Magazine!!
I follow Roni's blog and have bought her book, and she has some stuff in there and I just wondered if it was the same one.
Yes, this is the same magazine---congrats to Roni! I'm off to check out the magazine now to see all her work.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #438

I'm going to see if I can find the magazine. We have a Books-a-million nearby and they usually have the good magazines. I am not really a fan of Steampunk but that is just because I have no idea what it is or why it is . I am not to old to learn. I just want a copy because you have something in it.
I have been following Roni's blog for a long time. She does incredible things.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #439

When I first started in papercrafts, I would make a box full of cards for various occasions and sell some at meets. Then I went to ATC's, because I liked the size and the themes we could use. I tried card fronts once in a swap and I have to agree with Krystal, I was disappointed in the ones I got back. But another swap I was in, we did ATC sized cards for holidays or events, that we could use to build on for a card of our own. I think I made Christmas ones that time. They have a name for it and I have forgotten what they were called. But I sure got some pretty ones back.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #440
SCS Swap Moderator

Good afternoon

Well, I logged on about 4 hours ago, and am just now getting around to saying hello! The phone rang just as I sat down to update threads and I have been in a whirlwind ever since.

I am now checking something off my bucket list. I am going to be a "den mother" to a pack of scouts for the weekend! hahahahaha (This was put on my bucket list a loooong time ago, when I was younger and not so smart. Be careful what you wish for, right? I've now experienced three very striking examples of that this week - somebody is trying to tell me something )

The boys were supposed to camp at the church where they have their meetings and go on a 20 mile hike tomorrow for their merit badge. Well...plans change.

They are camping in my back yard - in the new and improved "camp ground area"! We are deciding on the hike and where it will be when the guys get here. So I am "on duty" for the next little bit. Eek!

I have received mail, but won't open it until after the weekend is over. Normat, BonnieBeth, prairiejen, Trish Rego and libreeder@aol.com - your packages have arrived safely.

---------
Closed Thread