Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Announcements (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-f13/)
-   -   If You Share Your Art In the Gallery. . . Please Read (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-f13/if-you-share-your-art-gallery-please-read-t7258.html)

jbalcer 08-25-2004 05:28 PM

If You Share Your Art In the Gallery. . . Please Read

As more and more people share their wonderful creations in the gallery, we are spending more and more time maintaining it. There have been several issues lately, and I just wanted to outline a few things that can help you avoid having them.

1. Give your FILE a unique name BEFORE YOU UPLOAD IT. When you scan or take a picture of your creation, change the file name on your computer to something unique rather than a number like 1.jpg, or scan001.jpg. When files have the same generic name as others (which is the case a LOT lately), they will get removed when we scan for duplicate posts. So. . .try something like your username_petalprints1.jpg and yours won't get deleted!

2. Please CROP your picture to showcase your creation! I've re-done several uploads to focus on the card rather than the white backdrop you get when you scan. It takes a little bit of time, but the end result is that it's easier for people to appreciate the work you've done!

3. Only upload JPG FILES. Anything else will jam up your upload queue, and Daven will have to go in and fix it while you wait.

4. Watch your FILE SIZE. Max size for the gallery is 640x480 pixels, but the gallery software will take care of that for you if you are unsure about reducing yourself. Mainly what you get through doing it yourself is shorter upload time (because the files are smaller when reduced). By tweaking the images yourself you also have to opportunity to do any color correction, cropping, watermarking, etc. that you want.

5. When you upload your creation, PUT THE FILE IN A SPECIFIC GALLERY. Anything you upload will automatically be loaded into your Member Gallery. We have galleries by set, by technique, by type of creation (anything but a card, scrapbooking, events, stampin' spaces, etc). . . and if there is not a gallery that fits, leave it in your member gallery. We'll move it if we see a place for it.

6. Fill out the Stamps, Ink, Paper, Technique, Accessories Fields! The more complete your information the easier it is for others to find your work.

7. Uploads are approved Monday - Saturday. Our Gallery Moderators work hard through the week to ensure that the gallery is neatly organized, and have Sunday off. Read this front page story for more info. If you must upload on Sunday, please know that your uploads will not be approved until Monday morning.

PS: If you're a Fan Club member, one of the perks is that your uploads will go through instantly. Please make sure that your uploads are properly categorized. :D Thank you!

WHEW! If you'd like to read more on how you can make the gallery experience better, read this article .
For more tips on scanning or photographing your creations, check this thread or this thread.

Thanks for your help with getting the uploads approved and in the gallery faster!

lbarnes 08-25-2004 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info!

Dorinda 08-25-2004 05:41 PM

Jenn,
Thanks for all of the time/effort/hard work that you and the rest os the SCS team put into keeping the whole site up and running smoothly.
I think your post will be very helpful.
I want you to know how much I appreciate all of the efforts that you all put into making this the most awesome place on the internet!

scdecker 08-25-2004 05:43 PM

I should have looked for something like this before I did my first upload! duh... Thanks for all the good tips.

scdecker 08-25-2004 05:43 PM

And ditto to Dorinda's comments!

OneLoves2Stamp 08-25-2004 06:02 PM

uploads

Hi,
I'm new, and I try to upload some of my cards from my PC to my gallery and it does not work I must be pretty dumm Help :(

Blazer3 08-25-2004 06:04 PM

Thanks Jenn.
Can these tips be linked to the first page we come to when we want to submit a card? (To remind us)

Janet

jbalcer 08-25-2004 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer3
Thanks Jenn.
Can these tips be linked to the first page we come to when we want to submit a card? (To remind us)

Janet

We'd like to have them come up when you upload. Just need to find a way to make it less wordy!

Emilysuesue 08-25-2004 07:56 PM

Please forgive me if I have made a mistake of giving you too big of a photo. I really don't know how to check the size of my file, making sure it is no larger than 640 x 480 pixels (I don't really know what those are! :oops: )

Is there a specific place I can program my computer to make the correct size photos? Or is there a place where I can check that? duh, it sounds like something I should know. Please help me so I can help you.

Thanks so very, very much for all you do!

jbalcer 08-25-2004 09:19 PM

Hi, Emily - no apolgies needed! You can check the size by right clicking on the file itself (in windows) and looking at the properties. To resize, just use whatever software you'd use to edit the jpg files, or other pictures you have on your computer.

If you have any questions, send me a pm, and we can work it out!

Kymbers_Stampin 08-26-2004 05:27 AM

Totally off subject ~ Dorinda I LOVE your avatar!!!

Jenn ~ thanks for all the hard work you do posting the pictures and taking care of our galleries for us.

parisotremba 08-26-2004 05:42 AM

Jenn - you really put a lot of time and effort into SplitCoaststampers. It is really appreciated!!!!!

It was great for you too post this advise....hopefully it will make your job easier and lower your workload!

Thanks for all that you do!!!

I'll make sure I follow all these quidelines so that life is a little more simlpe!

Keep up the good work...but don't forget to STAMP :lol:

luvtostampstampstamp 08-26-2004 07:20 AM

Another THANKS for all the hard work put into this great site! I have just recently joined and have really been enjoying it. I love the gallery and made one of my own. Guidelines are good!
I keep wondering how a site like this keeps going? I mean, we all support you "stampingly" but what about monetary means? The advertising I guess, but even that isn't abnoxious!
:D :D From a happy splitcoast...camper!

Beate 08-26-2004 07:29 AM

Daven also relies on donations. If you donate $20 you will become a member of the fan club and get access to a special gallery as a thank you. For more information go to the home page and click on fan club.

Jenn, great job with those guidelines.

Hugs and smiles.

jbalcer 08-26-2004 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvtostampstampstamp
Another THANKS for all the hard work put into this great site! I have just recently joined and have really been enjoying it. I love the gallery and made one of my own. Guidelines are good!
I keep wondering how a site like this keeps going? I mean, we all support you "stampingly" but what about monetary means? The advertising I guess, but even that isn't abnoxious!
:D :D From a happy splitcoast...camper!

Thanks for asking!
Check out this link:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/about/fan

Daven's received several donations that have paid for the migration to a new, better server that has WAY LESS downtime (newbies - you guys don't know how bad the old one was, may he rest in peace), and provides a snappier connection. Donations have paid for expert help to get it done (thanks, Tom!) over a little rather than a long while. The monthly fees for hosting the site, and the horrific bandwidth overages have to be paid, and some of that is covered by the google ad donations. The rest comes out of the donations and if need be, Daven's pocket!

Splitcoaststampers can certainly use more donations, and the Dirty Dozen gallery is just a token of our appreciation for your financial support of the site.

mamakimberly 08-26-2004 07:33 AM

Wow, I am sooooo guilty of using boring names... Sorry!!

08-26-2004 07:35 AM

Jenn,

Where does it give you the chance to put in supplies etc?

I unsuccessfully tried uploading a card last night, but there was no place to put that info in. I have dial-up internet (for the time being) and it is just too slow, it usually times out before the upload is finished.

And THANK YOU! Jenn for all your very hard work. To everyone at SCS for the matter. You make this site awesome!

dawn

jbalcer 08-26-2004 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawn g
Jenn,

Where does it give you the chance to put in supplies etc?

I unsuccessfully tried uploading a card last night, but there was no place to put that info in. I have dial-up internet (for the time being) and it is just too slow, it usually times out before the upload is finished.

- Click on Upload Pictures.
- Click on Browse to find the file on your computer.
- Select your file, Click Open.
- Repeat if you want to upload 1-3 items.
- Click on Upload/Submit.
- The next screen will allow you to:
- Select a gallery to add your upload to.
- Give your upload a cute title.
- Describe what you did.
- List Stamps, Ink, Paper, Accessories, Technique, rate difficulty.
- Click Process files, and then wait for approval!

jbalcer 08-26-2004 08:12 AM

OH! And you guys *can* edit stuff you've already uploaded, too. Whether it is deleting, moving to a different gallery, adding a description, etc. . . you do this by opening up the item you want to change, and clicking on EDIT PHOTO under it. You can then replace the scan that needed to be cropped, whatever. . . and you'll retain the comments that were already posted to it. It will get resubmitted for approval, and will be up in (usually) a jiffy.

luvtostampstampstamp 08-26-2004 08:17 AM

Thanks Beate for the info. I'll keep in mind for sure!
Gotta' run, 15 mo. old calls. I've been on scs too long for one morning according to her!

jbalcer 08-26-2004 12:46 PM

At Dawn G's request. . . here it is again!

08-26-2004 01:16 PM

Muchas gracias

Thanks Jenn! I looked and looked and couldn't find it under any of the topics. I guess it's been a busy day here today!

And thanks for the explanation too. I've never actually made it that far before my computer times out. But I'm getting cable internet next week, so hopefully that will solve ALL of my computer problems. Then, if I'm feeling brave, I'll upload some cards.

dawn g

jbalcer 09-22-2004 04:51 PM

Bumping this one back up. . . .

jbalcer 09-28-2004 08:44 PM

Can't put enough emphasis on this! Back to the top again. . .

Dorinda 09-28-2004 09:02 PM

Under Recent Headlines, look for Splitcoast 101 some VERY helpful information there! Makes everyones visit to SCS more enjoyable. The SCS team does so much work for our enjoyment we all owe it to them to read the basics and do our very best to follow these simple guidelines.
Thanks to SCS for everything!

mhthorpe 09-28-2004 09:04 PM

Just a suggestion: If it takes a long time for you to upload a picture to this site whether you use dial up or cable, your picture file is probably too large. Scan in your card at 72 dpi (or "for the web" setting).
If you take a picture with a digital camera, make sure the setting is "for the internet/web/email" setting, too.

shannonhanes 09-28-2004 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the great info - hopefully I'll put it to use soon!

Dorinda 09-29-2004 06:10 AM

:D

NavyWyf 09-29-2004 07:45 AM

Jenn-

:D :D :D Happy Wednesday! I just wanted to send you a smile, a thank you, and let you know that I not only read this thread, but the one you started called "A Thread By Any Other Name..." and was cracking up at the post there!! Thank you so much for being patient with all of us, and the work you do. You're awesome!!

Debbi

Razorback Fan 09-29-2004 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhthorpe
Just a suggestion: If it takes a long time for you to upload a picture to this site whether you use dial up or cable, your picture file is probably too large. Scan in your card at 72 dpi (or "for the web" setting).
If you take a picture with a digital camera, make sure the setting is "for the internet/web/email" setting, too.

Thank you for this great tip! :) I tried to do this with my digital camera but I can't find how to do it. Our digital camera is about 5 years old though....very out of date. The menu is very simple.....not many options. I have it set to the lowest quality for uploading cards. The resolution is still at 96dpi though. I am not really sure how to change this. I crop my pics, they are under the 640x480 pixels, and do all the other suggestions. I am lost about lowering to the 72 dpi though. Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

heart 09-29-2004 08:24 AM

Jenn, Thanks so much for posting this!
I love details!

mhthorpe 09-29-2004 12:44 PM

96 dpi should be okay. It is when the picture is 200 dpi or 300 dpi that the file is too large for the internet.
I am not sure about your camera or the software you use to download your pictures onto your computer, but if you have a "save as" feature in the application, save for the web (and choose jpg, not gif). Just saving as a jpeg (jpg) may not be enough to lower the file size. Jpg's can be large files!
When you scan your card, scan at 72 dpi and then "save for web."
Both these steps will lower the file size and decreaseupload time!
I hope SCS agree!

Razorback Fan 09-29-2004 02:33 PM

mhthorpe - Thanks for your help. :) Our scanner is broken so right now I am using our digital camera. I could do all the other suggestions but just couldn't figure out how to lower the dpi. I will try the "save as" feature and see if there is a "save for web" option. Thank you for the wonderful tip! :)

Shirleyone 10-13-2004 05:06 AM

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU

and all of your time and efforts to get the site going and keeping it running smoothly. I needed the size information. I was never really sure about what you needed. I can not even image how you find the time to do it and I don't work. Here is another big thank you and hug to all of you. The site is OUTSTANDING in organiztion and professionalism. I second your request for the detail on each file. I think it really helps those who are learning. :oops: :D

Shirley

Vivien 10-17-2004 03:11 PM

Thanks for all your efforts.

:D :D Thanks for this great website. I really appreciate all the hard work you guys must put in to make this work. You all are angels.

Thanks,
vivien

jstarbright 10-17-2004 07:04 PM

am new to the site and don't have a clue how to or what the guidelines to submit a card are, is there somewhere I can read all the rules?

JJBrooks 10-17-2004 07:22 PM

Thanks for all your hard work SCS team! This site is like NO OTHER!!!
I love my SCS home! :D

bluebird1 11-05-2004 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info!

jbalcer 11-05-2004 09:51 PM

Thanks for bumping this back up!

bluebird1 11-05-2004 10:05 PM

Hey Jenn,

I think I just successfully uploaded my first card. How do I know if it went through?