Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Postage on ALL square env. +.20?!?

Hi. I had heard through the grapevine that in some areas people are told they must add twenty-cents in addition to the regular stamp FOR ANY SIZED SQUARE ENVELOPE!!

I didn't want my recipient's to have to pay the extra. I haven't heard anything about this from anyone.

I asked my mailwoman, and she said any size square envelope is an additional twenty cents.

My question to all of you is what happens when you mail a square card? How much do you pay? And, if you put a regular stamp on, have you heard of your recipient's needing to pay, or have you been told to pay? Thanks so much!

He IS Able,
Traci S.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I do not know the exact amount, but square envelopes do require more postage than a 44cent stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, square cards that weigh 1oz or less are .64 cents. It's because the machines sort rectangle cards, but square cards have to be put through the reader by hand. Even square envelopes you buy at Hallmark or wherever will say "extra postage required" on the envelopes. It's a bummer for me because I love square cards!

I did read a good tip on here that can help. If you have a say a square 4x4 card, you could still use an invitation size envelope.

Here is the website where you can get all the info on sizes and rates:

http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatep...lculatepostage

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think ever since they changed the regs one or two changes ago, square envelopes were more (I don't know the amount, either) - something about it can't be machine sorted because the machines don't which side is supposed to be up to cancel the stamps, so it has do be hand cancelled, hence the extra cost. It might be like with the clear envelopes, some post offices enforced the extra hand-cancelling cost while others didn't. But it's been officially in effect for the square envelopes for quite some time.

Sorry for what looks like I didn't read the thread - I must just be typing really slow tonight because the post before mine wasn't there when I started typing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

ALas,
Whenever I have sent a square envelope/card, there has long been an extra charge. Before the postage went up to $0.44, I think the extra charge was $0.17. But ever since we've had the $0.44 for standard 1 oz. envies, the squares have been an additional $0.20. Thus, I have a few 20-cent stamps in my stash.

The same actually applies to 'bulky' envies that cannot slip through their little 1/4" slot gauge as well. It hinders machine-sorting. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

And yet the bulky envelopes from Publishers Clearing House which show up at my house in multiples daily carry only 17 cents postage.......
Explain to me again why the Postal SErvice needs to reduce service days to pay down their red ink----------------------------

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

yes, 20 extra cents for square cards. i get around that by putting the square card in a larger rectangular envelope. i place a piece of scrap cardstock in the envelope also to keep the card from moving around.

as long as there are no heavy embellisments or anything to make it bulky, it goes for 44 cents.

take that USPS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to make 4.25" square cards, that way I can tuck them into A2 envelopes. I add a piece of cardstock I've run through my crimper to add some extra bulk to the sides and then put a regular stamp on them. Never had a problem that way.

Just a thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #9  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

I know the additional-postage-for-square-envie thing/rule has been in place for a while.... it's why I didn't send square wedding invitations in '98. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I mail a lot of 5 x 5 square and the .61 postage is perfect...always get where they are going and no postage due.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I have had them returned with "more postage required" so I just slap two stamps on them and know for sure they will get where they are going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kflorenskiView Post
I have had them returned with "more postage required" so I just slap two stamps on them and know for sure they will get where they are going.
I'm too lazy to run into the P.O. to have them tell me exactly how much (more) I have to add to my regular first-class postage stamp, so I do this for my square and bulky cards too.

But now that I know it's an even .20 more, I'll get some of those stamps to have on hand. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Thank you!

Wow! So many ideas and information available from each of you! Thank you so much for letting me know. I was stunned! Square cards are my favorites!

I wonder if we need to rework the math to make easel cards, and joy cards and well, the cards into larger size...non-square cards? Hmmm. It just occured to me.

Thanks again, everyone!

He IS Able,
Traci S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Either this month or next there will be a new butterfly stamp that costs 64 cents for all of your square cards! Then you'll always have the right postage and they'll look pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I only put .61 on all mine and they are never returned and always get to their destination without additonal postage due...hey .03 more in my pocket...I mail a LOT of cards....
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I like to make 4.25" square cards, that way I can tuck them into A2 envelopes. I add a piece of cardstock I've run through my crimper to add some extra bulk to the sides and then put a regular stamp on them. Never had a problem that way.

Just a thought!
That is what I have done before too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I made the mistake of going into the PO with some hand made cards and the clerk felt, pinched and generally pawed every single card ( even the ones with no extra embellishments) and declared that every one of them required additional postage or other envelopes. None of the cards were square. Since then I simply put the square cards into rectangular envelopes and put regular postage on them. Also just put a 44 cent stamp on my A-2 envelopes and put them in the mail box outside the post office. They all get delivered without problems or additional postage due. If you give the po a chance to knit pick they do. At least at our local po.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

There were no brads or ribbons on my Easter cards. I did some punch art and only the bunny's body was popped up with 1/8" foam -- not the ears or feet. I mailed about 10 of them and one came back with postage due. And the thing is, that friend lives the closest to me. (I told her it came back and she said "oh that's good, I thought you had taken me off your list."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Just found this thread. I've never had a problem mailing things with 44 cent postage - but Sunday a woman at church told me that my card to her required her to pick it up at the postoffice because their was postage due. This makes me wonder if other cards required additional postage but people just didn't tell me. She told me because she actually had to go to the post office to pick it up - and since she is elderly that was a real inconvenience. Makes me think that I should just suck-it-up and make sure that I pay the extra postage, not the people I'm trying to cheer up. :???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldumont999View Post
Just found this thread. I've never had a problem mailing things with 44 cent postage - but Sunday a woman at church told me that my card to her required her to pick it up at the postoffice because their was postage due. This makes me wonder if other cards required additional postage but people just didn't tell me. She told me because she actually had to go to the post office to pick it up - and since she is elderly that was a real inconvenience. Makes me think that I should just suck-it-up and make sure that I pay the extra postage, not the people I'm trying to cheer up. :???:
That's how I look at it too. I also think of all the time and materials I have in my cards - it's not a big deal to add another 20 cents. And I know if my cards arrive postage due, no friend or family member would tell me unless I ask.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

USPS and red ink

I know this probably was a rhetorical question - that is you didn't expect an answer, but here goes anyway:

1: Commercial pre-sorted (zip code) has always been much less. Coming from a USPS family, that's my recollection. It takes much less people time when it comes in bundles all nice and ready to get to the right post office. LESS people time equals much less cost. -- Not saying that I agree with the magnitude of the difference 17vs44; but there it is

2: More complicated answer, but mainly 3 reasons that I know of. USPS is a self-funded program.

> The US government has been taking money from their funds for a number of years to add to general revenue. If the federal government gave it back, they'd be fine or at least have MUCH less red ink. AS you may recall the feds has taken money from social security designated funds too which is part of what is causing so many budget issues with Soc Sec.

> The volume of 1st class mail is way down from last year to this year --- think online bill payments, email, etc. and yet staffing and other costs have not gone down.

> USPS is the only government (or commercial) entity that I know of which requires that the PRE-FUND retiress pension fund. Everybody else is pay as you go. What a crock, huh? It's almost like the feds want the USPS to fail and be privatized. If so, expect our postage costs to skyrocket.

SharonK_MN
I are a lawyer and I asked my younger brother about this. He just retired from the USPS after 39 years of service and is now happily running PaPaw's Trucking.

>

==========
Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
And yet the bulky envelopes from Publishers Clearing House which show up at my house in multiples daily carry only 17 cents postage.......
Explain to me again why the Postal SErvice needs to reduce service days to pay down their red ink----------------------------
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

My PO charges an extra 20 cents, like everyone else's. HOWEVER, if the envelope is bigger than 6 1/4" x 6 1/4", it's considered a small package/large envelope and mails for a higher rate. Thankfully I asked before I mailed my wedding invites a few years ago! They were just under. 1/8" under to be exact.

Aren't the postage rates set to go up soon? Anyone know when that's coming out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

This is good to know! I guess some 20c postage stamps are going to find their way to my house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I went to mail a 5 1/2" square card yesterday with 44cents and the po hit me for an additional 20cents 'cause it's an odd size!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Unfortunately, the only cards I make are either 5.5 x 5.5 or 6.5 x 6.5" and they carry that .20 surcharge. Just today, as a matter of fact, I went to the PO and discovered when I write in 'white' on all my black envelopes, they charge another .20. It has to be hand read. Caution: please dont use white ink on your darker colored envelopes.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I have mailed the 5x5 square cards before for .44 cents and none have ever been returned with postage due. In fact I just mailed a square card last week and the recipient got it and didn't mention that postage was due or that she had to pick it up at the PO. Guess I may need to stick to A2 or hand deliver the squares or pay extra.

Go ahead...take a peek at My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #27  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairy KnollView Post
This is good to know! I guess some 20c postage stamps are going to find their way to my house!
They sell 64 cent stamps (they have dolphins on them right now :p). I love square cards so I end up using a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne RyanView Post
Unfortunately, the only cards I make are either 5.5 x 5.5 or 6.5 x 6.5" and they carry that .20 surcharge. Just today, as a matter of fact, I went to the PO and discovered when I write in 'white' on all my black envelopes, they charge another .20. It has to be hand read. Caution: please dont use white ink on your darker colored envelopes.
Wow, now THAT one I haven't heard before. I guess you need to use a white label (or pay the extra). Too bad, Halloween cards look so cool in black envies with white writing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

I had the chance to talk to a postal rep recently about this very thing. He told me that all square envelopes that are bumpy in any way (eg not perfectly flat) will be charged an extra .20 cents because it can not be machined. (Meaning they have to hand sort it instead of making the machine do it.) He also told me that a square card over standard square size (4 3/4" x 6 1/2") is charged an extra .20 cents because it is considered a large envelope rather than a standard envelope.

In the past when I have not put on enough postage they sent the card back to me as undeliverable and requesting extra postage.

LH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

actually, it's 20c if it's EITHER bulky (and regular sized) OR square (even if only 4.25")... again, because it has to be hand stamped. Technically, you aren't supposed to put it in a larger envie, either, because that makes it uneven also (unless you are putting the cardstock in like some have mentioned). You may or may not get away with it, even 90% of the time, but there will be a time when the recipient will pay or you'll get it back. So it's up to you whether you want to take the chance.
I talked to someone who works for the USPS, also, and they said that they lose money on every letter sent. They said if it wasn't for businesses sending packages, they would be bankrupt.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I only put .61 on all mine and they are never returned and always get to their destination without additonal postage due...hey .03 more in my pocket...I mail a LOT of cards....
blessings.
You have been fortunate thus far... the 17 cent surcharge is for additional ounces. The 20 cent surcharge is for non-machinable letters (like square or overly-thick cards).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I just mail square cards in a regular envie to avoid the extra postage. I use the square envies for when I hand deliver a card or gift to the recipient.
Reply With Quote Likes