Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #361
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to TexasGrammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
I thought it was 640 pixels on the longest side.
I've been using 640 for the longest side since the early days of SCS. It works for me, without messing with camera settings. However, I do edit the photos to either 150 or 200 dpi for my own image preference.

For photos that I plan to have printed for albums, etc., I do not downsize them at all.

Needing SU inspiration? Check out the latest from our SCS Creative Crew each month:
Creative Crew Galleries!
Psssssssssssst! New creations appearing July 1st!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #362
Mad Swapper

Default What is the important info to include in an upload?

I've read through this whole thread and hopefully I haven't missed this info. There have been numerous questions about the gallery that you save your upload to. I have only uploaded 2 photos and am confused about a number of things:

1) What is the most important category to try and choose for the gallery (i.e. is it the stamp manufacturer? or is it the technique? I have very few SU! stamps so that isn't a category I would use often. One of my uploads I put under gamsol for example. Should I have put it under the stamp manufacturer first then included gamsol in the keywords?

2) What is the rule of thumb for keywords? Do I try to think from the perspective of what someone might search for (i.e. masculine birthday, gamsol, prismacolour, frog, balloons, etc.)?

3) Should there be a comma between the different keywords or keyword phrases?

4) Is there a 'cheat sheet' that tells us what the computer will search for (i.e. if I put bday instead of birthday will it be found)?

5) For listing inks, do people prefer all the colours or just the manufacturer?

Sorry for so many questions but as people know, it's a reasonable amount of work to enter all this info (which I'm happy to do because I look for it in other people's galleries) BUT if it's being entered in a way that either causes SCS more work in the behind-the-scenes work OR if it's useless because the text isn't being recognized in searches, then it's kind of a waste.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Maybe there's a link in another thread that someone knows about but would really appreciate some specific guidelines.

Awesome job with all the details in this thread. I really appreciate all the resources available and the fact that it's people volunteering their time to answer!

Have a great day!!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #363
Pearl-ExPert

crystaldolphins, I love your questions and will be eagerly waiting for answers. Thank you for asking those questions.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #364
Watercolor Wizard

TexasGrammy: Thanks so much for your help here.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #365
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldolphins View Post
I've read through this whole thread and hopefully I haven't missed this info. There have been numerous questions about the gallery that you save your upload to. I have only uploaded 2 photos and am confused about a number of things:

1) What is the most important category to try and choose for the gallery (i.e. is it the stamp manufacturer? or is it the technique? I have very few SU! stamps so that isn't a category I would use often. One of my uploads I put under gamsol for example. Should I have put it under the stamp manufacturer first then included gamsol in the keywords?

2) What is the rule of thumb for keywords? Do I try to think from the perspective of what someone might search for (i.e. masculine birthday, gamsol, prismacolour, frog, balloons, etc.)?

4) Is there a 'cheat sheet' that tells us what the computer will search for (i.e. if I put bday instead of birthday will it be found)?

Sorry for so many questions but as people know, it's a reasonable amount of work to enter all this info (which I'm happy to do because I look for it in other people's galleries) BUT if it's being entered in a way that either causes SCS more work in the behind-the-scenes work OR if it's useless because the text isn't being recognized in searches, then it's kind of a waste.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Maybe there's a link in another thread that someone knows about but would really appreciate some specific guidelines.

Awesome job with all the details in this thread. I really appreciate all the resources available and the fact that it's people volunteering their time to answer!

Have a great day!!
I can try and help with these, although I don't know all the answers.

1. I usually list under the manufacturer first. If there is not a gallery for that stamp and I used a special technique, then I will list under the technique. This is for everyday cards. If I went to the resource section and found a technique I really liked and wanted to try, I would probably list it in that gallery. Most of the time I am using some SU stamp, so I usually list it in that gallery.

2. Yes, try and think of it as a tool for others who are searching for a special card. Masculine, birthday, the challenge number if you are doing a challenge on SCS, the stamp manufacturer etc. I always try to use separate words (masculine, birthday), unless it is something like "digital stamping" or "Penny Black." Always separate each keyword by a comma.

3. Yes.

4. I don't think so. I would always go with the full word rather than abbreviations. But as I post this I know I have been know to search for "digi" rather than "digital."

5. For SU I always list the color. If I use something else, I just use the manufacturer. But I don't have many other inks. If you are using something like Papertrey, I would list the color. Do as you see fit, the more information, the better I say!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~

Last edited by gadget19; 01-19-2011 at 07:24 AM..
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #366
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I had typed this up and then my internet connection crapped out on me. But now that it's working again, here's my three cents' worth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldolphins View Post
First off, thank you for sharing your artwork with us! I'll try to answer your questions one at a time. My use of the words "you" and "your" coming up in the answers refers to anyone, not you specifically.

We ask that if you are using Stampin' Up stamps on a card, that you upload to the category for the predominant stamp set used. If you use a technique that we have a category for - such as Gamsol Magic - you can upload to that category (whether or not you use an SU image). If you're uploading a photo of a 3D creation, we have a lot of "Anything But A Card" categories - some for boxes and baskets, some for stationery and gift items, some for altered art. We also have gallery categories for scrapbooking.

If you can't find a gallery category that suits your upload, then just leave it in your member gallery, which is the default setting.

Bear in mind that anything you upload to any gallery category (stamp set, technique, whatever) will also show in your own member gallery.

Stamp manufacturers other than SU have keyword-driven categories. When you're at the page listing all the Company Galleries and hover your cursor over the name of any company, you'll see the acceptable keywords for that company. Use one of them in your keyword box, and your upload will get sorted into the company's gallery.

Yes. You're right on track with your thinking there. You can include as many or as few things as you'd like to help people find your uploads.

Yes. A comma is the correct punctuation to use to avoid problems later during searches.

If there is, I'm not aware of it. That's a good question!

I personally like to see the color name as well as the manufacturer. My monitor settings may be different than other people's and therefore colors might look different to me than to others. (Case in point - I used SU's Chocolate Chip satin ribbon on a card, and one person who commented on it said something to the extent of "I thought the ribbon was purple, but it says chocolate chip.")

On a similar note - for stamps, I like to see the stamp set name where applicable, as well as the company name. If someone uploads a card with - for example - an awesome Unity stamp that I'd be interested in buying, but only puts "Unity" in the "stamps" line, then it's tedious for me to try to find it on the Unity website.

But that's just me, personally. Other SCSers may not care. And that's OK. We're all different.

Don't ever hesitate to ask questions - otherwise, you'll never know the answers! Working together like this can help make SCS a better place for all of us.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #367
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Can I just add on the keywords - no inverted commas are necessary; when you use them, they actually reduce the number of hits that will turn up. Just a comma, as already stated.
So in the examples gadget19 gives - Penny Black, digital stamping, would be a better choice. But pennyblack and penny_black are extra keywords you can use for that company.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #368
Mad Swapper

Default Thank you! Thank you!

PH in VA and gadget19 (Kelly):

Thank you both so much for your awesome answers! That definitely fills in the gaps and I have a much better idea of the info to post. I will go back and edit some of the info I submitted to make sure it's searchable. It helps to give me a better idea of how things are organized behind-the-scenes. There's an expression in the computer world: GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) which just means that how you put something in makes a big difference in what you get out (and even IF you can get it out if not entered)!

Thanks so much again for your detailed responses. Looking forward to getting some more stuff uploaded! I've been spending a bit too much time in the forums lately and not enough time stamping

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #369
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
Can I just add on the keywords - no inverted commas are necessary; when you use them, they actually reduce the number of hits that will turn up. Just a comma, as already stated.
So in the examples gadget19 gives - Penny Black, digital stamping, would be a better choice. But pennyblack and penny_black are extra keywords you can use for that company.
Sorry, what's an inverted comma? I understand the rest and that's great - thanks for the added detail! I'll be printing all of this out to have handy when I'm uploading!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #370
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Um - I don't know what you call them - quotation marks? Like "digital stamping", "Penny Black" given in gadget19's post.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #371
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Sabrina's "inverted commas" = quotation marks on the western side of the Atlantic Ocean.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #372
Mad Swapper

Default Inverted commas

Quote:
Um - I don't know what you call them - quotation marks? Like "digital stamping", "Penny Black" given in gadget19's post.
Now I get it! Thanks for clarification

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #373
Mad Swapper

Default Note

Quote:
Just thought to look at where your location is per PH in VA's post! My dad is from Belfast and we still have a few relatives there. He Moved here about 50 years ago with his family but can still hear his accent with the odd word. Nice to 'meet' you!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #374
Mad Swapper

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Sabrina's "inverted commas" = quotation marks on the western side of the Atlantic Ocean.
Your response made me look at where Sabrina was from - thank you!

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #375
Glitter Queen

Send a message via Skype™ to KJ0915

thanks for this explanation.
I have a silly question...if I participate in a challenge, how do I link to the appropriate card in my gallery and shorten the URL of that link- does that make any sense?

www.kjsstamppad.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #376

Hi Kelly Jo,

Try these steps:
  • Two open windows may be helpful, although not necessary...
  • Highlight & copy the URL of your gallery photo.
  • Go to the Challenge thread. Click 'reply'.
  • Type in your card title and highlight it.
  • Click the 'earth link' icon above the text box.
  • In the small text window that appears, delete the existing "http://" and paste the URL of your card (from step 2).
  • Click OK.
  • Now your word title is linked to the card in the gallery!

Needing SU inspiration? Check out the latest from our SCS Creative Crew each month:
Creative Crew Galleries!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #377
Glitter Queen

Default Where do the cards go?

Hello - I have had some experience uploading cards into various galleries but the past couple of times I have uploaded cards I have not been able to see them. I can see them in my own gallery but not in the general gallery (i.e. Member Gallery, SU Gallery, etc or in the recent uploads). I used to get an e-mail confirmation indicating that they have been "approved and visible" but I haven't received any confirmation the last couple of times. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #378
Embossing Fanatic

I learned much from this thread, thank you to all of you helpful peeps.. ((( HUGS )))
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #379
Cardstock Collector

Default Are my cards in the gallery?

Hi Everyone!
I uploaded my first cards yesterday and received confirmation that they were approved. (Yea!) I can't, however, find them in the gallery. They come back as part of a search, and they have had some views, so I think they are out there somewhere... but I cruise the "last day" uploads in the general gallery as a part of my daily routine, and I can't find them. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for your help and continued inspiration!
Shella
Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwife View Post
Hi Everyone!
I uploaded my first cards yesterday and received confirmation that they were approved. (Yea!) I can't, however, find them in the gallery. They come back as part of a search, and they have had some views, so I think they are out there somewhere... but I cruise the "last day" uploads in the general gallery as a part of my daily routine, and I can't find them. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for your help and continued inspiration!
Shella
Hi Shella!
I can see your fabby cards! Here's a quick way to find them all at one time. Click your user name in the left column of your post above. From the drop-down menu that appears, select your 'gallery'. You'll be taken to everything in your gallery.

As far as 'searches' go, you'll find your cards depending on whether or not you included the stamp set name, or search by the keywords you included in the card information, etc.

Hope this helps!

Creative Crew Galleries!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #381
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
Hi Shella!
I can see your fabby cards! Here's a quick way to find them all at one time. Click your user name in the left column of your post above. From the drop-down menu that appears, select your 'gallery'. You'll be taken to everything in your gallery.

As far as 'searches' go, you'll find your cards depending on whether or not you included the stamp set name, or search by the keywords you included in the card information, etc.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your kind words, Bev!

I am able to see and search for them, but I know they are there. My question was more about why didn't they show up in the public gallery so others could see them. For about a year now, everyday I just click the "Last day" link in the gallery and I can cruise the creations from the past day... but when I did that yesterday, mine weren't there. I am sure I did something wrong when I posted, I just don't know what. (Would you believe I am a technology manager? )

Thanks again for your help!
Shella
Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #382
Glitter Queen

Quote:

I am able to see and search for them, but I know they are there. My question was more about why didn't they show up in the public gallery so others could see them. For about a year now, everyday I just click the "Last day" link in the gallery and I can cruise the creations from the past day... but when I did that yesterday, mine weren't there. I am sure I did something wrong when I posted, I just don't know what. (Would you believe I am a technology manager? )

Shella
Hi All,

That is the same problem I am having as well! I am convinced, for me, it's user error. I also appreciate the advice (or helpful uploading hints) from the experts here.

Thanks,
Kristin
Old 02-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #383

Quote:

Shella
Hmmmmm .... You're right. Today's uploads should certainly show up in the "days" gallery. Is it possible that you simply "missed" them? I will ask for someone to peek in here just for safe-keeping though. Thanks so much for your patience!

Creative Crew Galleries!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #384
Mad Swapper

Default fyi

Just an observation - I just uploaded a few cards and when they were finished uploading (I'm a fan club member, so they show up immediately), there were 2 cards that showed up after mine, and one had approximately 4,500 views! and the other had approx. 3,100 views! The upload date was Feb 13, 2006 but the rest of the cards on the screen appeared to be today! Seems like there might be some kind of glitch and perhaps that's why Boatwife and Stampinglikecrazy are experiencing problems?? This is the first time I have seen this happen

2012/2013 Squigglefly DT
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #385
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi everyone!

A few possibilities...

If you are adding photos to an album, they will not show up in the main gallery at all.

If someone is moving a photo out of an album - even from 2006 - that will count as an upload from today, so that can happen.

Were your uploads to albums? If not, next time you upload can you let Bev & I know so we can look?

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #386
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understandblue View Post
Hi everyone!

A few possibilities...

If you are adding photos to an album, they will not show up in the main gallery at all.

If someone is moving a photo out of an album - even from 2006 - that will count as an upload from today, so that can happen.

Were your uploads to albums? If not, next time you upload can you let Bev & I know so we can look?
Hi Lydia,

Thanks so much for your reply! I uploaded my latest cards into the member gallery but the e-mail I received said they were moved (to the SU gallery) which was perfectly fine with me - but I went through both galleries and they were in neither. Next time I have an upload I'll let you know if I don't see them in the gallery. Thanks again for all your help!!!

Kristin
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #387
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a new gallery uploader and I'm having great success. I have one question: how do I add a link to another card in my card description. I want to upload a Featured Stamper card and want to give credit to the featured artist. Thanks so much for your help!!

Patti
Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer's stamp View Post
I'm a new gallery uploader and I'm having great success. I have one question: how do I add a link to another card in my card description. I want to upload a Featured Stamper card and want to give credit to the featured artist. Thanks so much for your help!!

Patti
Hi Patti!

You can just copy and paste the URL in the description for an "ugly" or long URL, or if you want it to be "pretty" - meaning you want a word or phrase to be your link, you would do this, minus the spaces...

This card is a design I CASED from [u r l = w w w xyz . com] Super Stamper [/ u r l]

And then "Super Stamper" will be your link

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

Love Splitcoast?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #389
Rubber Obsessor

WOW!! Easy peasy - worked great - thanks!!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #390
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Jenn!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #391
Hardware Hotshot

Awesome tips in this thread.....thanks so much to all you very knowledgable ladies!!

Mycraftingtherapyroom
Old 04-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #392
Proud Fan Club Member

Here's a link to my quilt card Hey I think it worked! Thanks Lydia.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #393
Cardstock Collector

Heart Uploading Photos

I am so very new at all of this. I followed directions for uploading - choose file, took me to my MacBook Iphoto and I selected 9 pictures then pressed load. It looked like it was loading but I can't find the photos. I'm sure I don't have a clue! Thanks Casey Wallace
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #394
Cardstock Collector

Smile Thanks I feel just like you do about the process - I have lots to figure out. Luck

Not sure where to type my message there isn't a spot below the title???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilysuesue View Post
Please forgive me if I have made a mistake of giving you too big of a photo. I really don't know how to check the size of my file, making sure it is no larger than 640 x 480 pixels (I don't really know what those are! )

Is there a specific place I can program my computer to make the correct size photos? Or is there a place where I can check that? duh, it sounds like something I should know. Please help me so I can help you.

Thanks so very, very much for all you do!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #395
Cardstock Collector

Smile Thanks I feel just like you do about the process - I have lots to figure out. Luck

Not sure where to type my message there isn't a spot below the title??? This message is for Emily. I sure can relate I'm having the same issues, but I'm sure we'll figure all this out. Thanks for sharing - Casey Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilysuesue View Post
Please forgive me if I have made a mistake of giving you too big of a photo. I really don't know how to check the size of my file, making sure it is no larger than 640 x 480 pixels (I don't really know what those are! )

Is there a specific place I can program my computer to make the correct size photos? Or is there a place where I can check that? duh, it sounds like something I should know. Please help me so I can help you.

Thanks so very, very much for all you do!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewallac View Post
I am so very new at all of this. I followed directions for uploading - choose file, took me to my MacBook Iphoto and I selected 9 pictures then pressed load. It looked like it was loading but I can't find the photos. I'm sure I don't have a clue! Thanks Casey Wallace

Hi Casey! Welcome to Splitcoast!!

I have a video on uploading in my signature - I think that will help you

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

Love Splitcoast?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #397
Inking Addict

I am wondering someone can help me. We recently switched to a Mac (apple) computer and I tried to upload a Father's Day card. It appears to go through successfully, but the card has never showed up in my gallery. I tried it twice as I walked away the first time and thought maybe I missed an error message but still no upload. I know the scan size was big, but the upload page tells me it will adjust the jpg file for me, but could this be the problem? I gave the card to my father in law yesterday so I would have to borrow it back to rescan it to a smaller size.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Rachael
Old 06-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #398
Inking Addict

Oops! Just read the post above and clicked the link for uploading (thanks Lydia) and I do need to resize my photo, so I will do that and try again.

Rachael
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #399

Oh super! I was just coming over here to link

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

Love Splitcoast?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #400
Polyshrink Goddess

It's disappointing to click on a post marked SUO and then find out it's SU-not much. I'm pretty sure it won't make any difference, but I just wanted to put in my two cents to say if it's not Stampin' Up! only, please don't use that tag. Maybe a reminder about other tags would help, like SUM (mostly) - are there more? SUS (some); SU1 (one SU product)? As a demo, I stick to SU products and want to see items made with them, so when I go to the SUO gallery, that's what I expect to see. Thanks for listening.