Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Charging fees on shipping Cost

Starting April 19th Ebay is going to charge a fee on the price charged for shipping the items. Can you believe that!! Like they don't nickel and dime you to death to begin with. I found a free site like ebay called webstore.com I am very happy there and wanted to let you all know about it before you get fees on the money you give to the post office!!!
Good luck to all,
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

eBay has finally decided to do something that will impact all those sellers that sell items for .99 cents and then charge $10, 15 or even $20 shipping charges. They have avoided eBay fees for too long.

Here is the info/rates for the new fee structure.. sellers will get the first 50 listings for free. Starting in July there will be discounts coming... read it all on this eBay info page:

eBay: 2011 Spring Seller Update - Fee update

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I can tell you are a buyer and not a seller. But these additional fees will have to be passed on to the buys in increased purchase price so it's not good for buyers either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a buyer and seller on Ebay and I am happy to see this fee. I hate seeing people seeing items for a buck but charge $25 to ship it, hopefully this will help stop that.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I think the sellers wouldn't have to do that if ebay's fees weren't so high. I agree I don't think it's right to actually put the cost of the item in the shipping but maybe they could of done something else. This is money that you pay to the post office to ship, it just passes through your hands and now you have to pay a fee for it! Just doesn't seem right to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
I'm a buyer and seller on Ebay and I am happy to see this fee. I hate seeing people seeing items for a buck but charge $25 to ship it, hopefully this will help stop that.
I agree. It makes it more fair to the sellers trying to be honest. I would never buy from a seller that would list an item for a tiny amount with overstated shipping even if the total were still a good deal. I'd worry about the seller's honesty.

I think this is a good change.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I currently am just a buyer.. however I have sold thousands of items on ebay in the past. I plan on doing some ebay here soon since our family will be PCS'ing all the way across the country and since my stamps weigh so much, I need to lighten the load a little.

I did want to add that we have thrift shops on post and at a local base, and they charge 25% of whatever your item sells for and if it doesn't sell within an alloted time you have to pay 10% to get your item back. While your item is there waiting for someone to come along and buy it, people pick it up, open it, etc.. so while ebay does charge fees, your item is safe at your house, and there are way more people that might happen to see it on the eBay site. You can promote your item in several ways.. so I think that the ebay fees are very reasonable and I always have. I am for this change in the fee structure.

~ Pam

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2scrap4everView Post
This is money that you pay to the post office to ship, it just passes through your hands and now you have to pay a fee for it! Just doesn't seem right to me.
It doesn't just pass through a seller's hands when they've overpriced the shipping to begin with. After all, the buyer is the one paying the shipping charges, not the seller.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

While I understand the intent behind it, it really is a shame that all the honest sellers are now going to be paying even more fees to keep the cheaters in line.

I think ebay should have just went through and barred the sellers that were doing that. It really isn't hard, they have "report" buttons for everything else. Why not have buyers report the sellers that are jacking up shipping, then when ebay gets the report, have them check it out. It really isn't hard to see who is jacking up their shipping.

But ebay yet again uses any excuse they can think of to raise the seller's fees. I have a love/hate relationship with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default ebay

and the nasty sellers that charge an arm and a leg for shipping dont have to refund the shipping price if the item is damaged etc. They win both ways, and the buyer gets stuck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I did want to add that we have thrift shops on post and at a local base, and they charge 25% of whatever your item sells for and if it doesn't sell within an alloted time you have to pay 10% to get your item back. While your item is there waiting for someone to come along and buy it, people pick it up, open it, etc.. so while ebay does charge fees, your item is safe at your house,

Pam,
You should really try Online Auction, Free Webstore and more! - Great Deals on New & used electronics, crafts, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. I have sold all my retired stampin up stamps there and have a great business selling crafts. Best of all it is FREE no 10% 25% no nothing!! You can't beat that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2scrap4everView Post
I did want to add that we have thrift shops on post and at a local base, and they charge 25% of whatever your item sells for and if it doesn't sell within an alloted time you have to pay 10% to get your item back. While your item is there waiting for someone to come along and buy it, people pick it up, open it, etc.. so while ebay does charge fees, your item is safe at your house,

Pam,
You should really try Online Auction, Free Webstore and more! - Great Deals on New & used electronics, crafts, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. I have sold all my retired stampin up stamps there and have a great business selling crafts. Best of all it is FREE no 10% 25% no nothing!! You can't beat that!

Thanks for the link and info.. I'll have to check it out.

~ Pam

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I always thought that if you wanted to sell something on ebay you should suck up the fees and not pass them onto the buyer. Someone I spoke with once said that she incorporates the ebay fees in the shipping...I simply don't think thats right...you chose to list it, you shouldn't than make the buyer pay the fees plus incorporating it into the shipping I think is unfair business practice just as I think its unfair to charge for the materials to mail them or a handling fee for online companies anyway (again the employee who does it, it is in their job description..they don't get a bonus per package they pack but that is another discussion).

I just saw something the other day on ebay that the shipping was like 15.00 and it was on a cear stamp set...I actually laughed and thought whose going to seriously pay you 15.00 to ship that?!?!?!? I know what it costs to ship things....do they hope to find someone who lives in a closet to purchase? Its hysterical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I personally always report ridiculous shipping charges to ebay. And I also won't buy from someone who is charging outrageous shipping, even if it is a good deal. I understand sellers wanting to make a buck, but then price the item with your costs in mind, and only charge actual shipping. (I can see why ebay is doing this, and as a buyer, I applaud them. I know some sellers won't like it.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

To ship a pkg of 12 x 12 cardstock or designer paper costs me around $6-8 depending on zip code. If I sell it for $5-6, my fees will be doubled! I sell mainly low cost, retired SU, so this will greatly increase my costs.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much are the ebay fees? I have bought a lot on ebay but haven't sold anything but was thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

9% and then your paypal fee as well. I just shipped a package of 12 x 12 cardstock to California. For just over a pound, the shipping was over $9 !!
I ripped up my priority box and made it flat to get down to 1# even so I wasn't losing $3 on shipping (Cost of the item itself was only $5). The wide range in shipping costs from east to west coast makes it hard to set a shipping price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
9% and then your paypal fee as well. I just shipped a package of 12 x 12 cardstock to California. For just over a pound, the shipping was over $9 !!
I ripped up my priority box and made it flat to get down to 1# even so I wasn't losing $3 on shipping (Cost of the item itself was only $5). The wide range in shipping costs from east to west coast makes it hard to set a shipping price.
Wow! That's alot! I completely understand shipping costs are great. I amin Canada and often get things from the US. Shipping is outrageous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I also do not even think about purchasing items when I feel that the shipping charges are jacked up. Please sellers, when you list an item, take into consideration just what your charges will actually be for sending your items. Then be realistic in setting your prices and do not try to make a profit on the shipping charges. It just does not work with me, and I am sure many others feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been a casual Ebay seller for a few years & I'm an honest seller with fair ship fees & excellent 5 star ratings. I've seen a few outrageous lopsided auctions where the seller will list a small, light item with a super high ship fee..I think to avoid Ebay's final value fees.
If Ebay's reason to include shipping charges to FVF's are due to these bad apples then they should go after those sellers directly. They can see exactly what's being charged..maybe compare the actual USPS fee when we print our shipping label against fee charged the customer. If it's over a certain percentage, THEY should be penalized. Not the honest sellers with excellent customer ratings.
I've NEVER made a profit off of my shipping fees so why should Ebay begin profiting off seller's shipping fees?
Between USPS fee hikes, Paypal fees, Ebay insertion, final value fees & now profit off shipping fee coupled with my time taking & editing pictures, setting up auction listings, packaging & printing supplies, running to post office.. my ever shrinking profit margin will prevent me from selling on Ebay. It won't be worth it.
Off my little soapbox now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

If it actually costs me $9.50 to send a $5 package of cardstock to California, but only $5.95 to send it to Ohio, what should I charge? It sure looks like I'm overcharging if I put $9.50 on all my auctions! And now my fees will be much higher. I wish 12x12 would fit better in medium fixed rate boxes (10.50) - they are just not the right size. Then I could at least sell in lots. Oh well, my retired cardstock is almost gone anyways!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
If it actually costs me $9.50 to send a $5 package of cardstock to California, but only $5.95 to send it to Ohio, what should I charge? It sure looks like I'm overcharging if I put $9.50 on all my auctions! And now my fees will be much higher. I wish 12x12 would fit better in medium fixed rate boxes (10.50) - they are just not the right size. Then I could at least sell in lots. Oh well, my retired cardstock is almost gone anyways!
Kim there is s spot on ebay to put in the weight of the package so the charge will be different for every buyer, based on where they live. Don't use the flat rate shipping option that makes it the same for everyone. Just type in the weight and length of the package, and you can offer parcel post and priority, so they can choose the cheapest option, and you will never have to worry about losing money on shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks! I didn't know that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
Kim there is s spot on ebay to put in the weight of the package so the charge will be different for every buyer, based on where they live. Don't use the flat rate shipping option that makes it the same for everyone. Just type in the weight and length of the package, and you can offer parcel post and priority, so they can choose the cheapest option, and you will never have to worry about losing money on shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I have been more of a buyer than a seller on ebay, mostly because the fees tend to negate what I collected for the item. And it's a pain in the neck to list, wait for it to sell, hope the buyer pays you and in a timely fashion, then schlep it to the post office and hope you correctly estimated the shipping cost. And packing materials are not free. Long story short, I really don't care for ebay. If you see something you want, but the price or shipping cost seem high, just don't bid. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
When I buy on ebay I look at the entire price including shipping. If it's too high I don't buy. If it's fine, no matter which portion is shipping and which is the auction, I buy. I don't care if sellers are trying to pay lower fees. Ebay has been ridiculous in the fee hikes the last few years on top of the fact that they're jacking sellers up so badly what with not being allowed to leave anything but positive for bidders (and believe me there are bad bidders) and the stupid stars system and paypal holds and everything else.
I also take into account the price including shipping.

I totally agree with you about the fee hikes!!!

I used to sell a lot on ebay and I stopped selling a few years ago once they raised their fees (this was after several fee hikes). Ebay even called me shortly after I quit selling to ask me why I was no longer selling and I told them it was because their fees were too high. Of course the ebay representative went on to explain why they raised their fees, but anyway that's another story...LOL

My advice to all of you is to sell your items here if they are retired (of course we have to follow the buy/sell/trade rules here), you know what I mean.

To the OP, thanks for posting about this. I wasn't aware of these changes until I read this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I was considering selling some Vera Bradley bags on eBay a few days ago so I went on to see what they were going for. At least 90% of the people selling were "Top Sellers" with thousands of sales. It seems eBay has become more of an online store and less of a place where people can sell things occasionally. Once I read the fee structure I decided to go with craigslist. There's listing fees, reserve fees, more fees, then they take 12% of the final selling price. I never made it as far as their cut of the shipping. Then there's PayPal who takes another cut. I'll stick with craigslist, or maybe check out the site that was posted here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you so much for this post and all of the great information; I didn't realize all the changes on ebay as I haven't sold or bought anything on there in quite awhile. Although I do know the fees are getting out of hand!

"Go In The Direction of Your Dreams"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #28  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

interesting! good to hear though!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes