Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #361
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to teacher4416

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
You definitely won't be disappointed! Safe travels and enjoy!
You surely won't! This is my 4th trip back to the area and 2nd trip back to these stores. I built my vacation around a few shooping days. DH is so indulging.

Enjoy! Maybe we'll bump into each other. I'll be there on the 3rd!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #362
Kookie Creator

Default Lancaster shopping

Well, I took a trip to L&L Stamp Store today. What a delight!
She has lots of paper, several different racks,stamps, inks , Copics and so much more.
I ended up getting the labels nesties, 2 different newer Cuttlebug folders, paper and some ribbon. I will certainly plan a return trip soon, without my impatient dd, lol
Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #363
Watercolor Wizard

Ladies - can you give me som einfo on Creek Side Stamps?

We tried going last year, finally found the place, drove through a very long driveway with corn literally scratching the car, towering over the car, and merged to find a toddler by a house. No signs of adults. We drove to the left, then to the right, straight ahead - never found a sign, store, open door, or signs of an adult. Two other kids emerged at one poin t- one maybe 5, one maybe 8, I asked about the stamp store but they did not answer, just stared at me. To be honest, it was a little too "children of the corn" for us so we left.

I wanted to try again this year but the DH sais I'd better get a little more info this time around, lol. Any tips?

(BTW, we were in the right place, or at least the correct driveway/road, we turned at the sign post on the road.)
Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #364
Polyshrink Goddess

Ohmygosh! That is too funny!

If I'm remembering correctly, that is the right driveway. The "store" is a little white shed on the left side, slightly before the house. It is a VERY small store, lots of great prices on paper and envelopes. A small wall of stamps and trimmings. It's been a year since I've gone so things could have changed, but in my opinion it's not worth the trip.

If you go, good luck finding it! A lot of the children speak dutch, so they probably didn't understand you! I would have been a little freaked too!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #365
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiP View Post
Ohmygosh! That is too funny!

If I'm remembering correctly, that is the right driveway. The "store" is a little white shed on the left side, slightly before the house. It is a VERY small store, lots of great prices on paper and envelopes. A small wall of stamps and trimmings. It's been a year since I've gone so things could have changed, but in my opinion it's not worth the trip.

If you go, good luck finding it! A lot of the children speak dutch, so they probably didn't understand you! I would have been a little freaked too!
LOL, thanks for the info. I wanted to give it a fair shot in my excursions. My husband doesn't spook easily but this did it for him. The building you describe is one we drove to, or past, with no signs of life although it was supposed to be open. The DH will be pleased to hear he was able to scratch one off the list!

Definitely making return trips to L&L, Barabara's, From the Heart, Esther's, Farmhouse Memories, and maybe the other one (Rocky something) right near Farmhouse Memories. The F&C Warehouse was off my list- for once - but my girlfriend just got back from it and said it was "amazing." Maybe because she didn't see it 4 years ago when it was really full? I read above somewhere the scrap area is now shared by beads and such. It's out of the way on this trip, the DH isn't even mentioning the obligatory Cabela's "stop." (It must be on the way back from Gettysburg & I just don't know it yet!)
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #366
Stazon Splitcoast

I know all the times I've been to Creekside we've gone in the store/shed and no one has been in there. She usually comes out in a bit though after we've looked around. I loved the children of the corn comment - ROFL!!

I'm heading up this Saturday with some ladies who have never been to the stores, so it will be a lot of fun.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #367
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I know all the times I've been to Creekside we've gone in the store/shed and no one has been in there. She usually comes out in a bit though after we've looked around. I loved the children of the corn comment - ROFL!!

I'm heading up this Saturday with some ladies who have never been to the stores, so it will be a lot of fun.
I'll just miss you! We'll be around Monday and the early part of Tuesday. "Commando shopping" as the DH calls it. Right. Commando driving perhaps, but leisurely shopping. I tried to be quicker at each stop last year but regretted not buying more at Barbara's & L&L. Then again, it was my first trip so I didn't know what each store had. I have a cushy budget of cash and a plan. I'm dangerous this year, lol.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #368
Polyshrink Goddess

Mmmm, Cindy. I love your avatar. Sigh.

I was just getting on to type what Cindy said about Creekside, the one time we went there was no sign of life either. We all got out of the car and peeked in the windows of the shed and someone came out and said it was unlocked and we could go right in!

I actually like Cabela's! But my hubby's not an outdoorsy type so we don't get up there too often.

Have a fantastic shopping trip!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #369
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Mmmm, Cindy. I love your avatar. Sigh.

I was just getting on to type what Cindy said about Creekside, the one time we went there was no sign of life either. We all got out of the car and peeked in the windows of the shed and someone came out and said it was unlocked and we could go right in!

I actually like Cabela's! But my hubby's not an outdoorsy type so we don't get up there too often.

Have a fantastic shopping trip!
Thanks!! I'm sure I will!

My hubby is a hunter, so he loves Cabela's. I'm a vegetarian (my whole life), so it isn;t the place for me. It;'s th epayback for him waiting in the car breathing in that lovely Lancaster natural air.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #370
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkymama View Post
Just letting everyone know--

White Swan in New Castle, DE will be closing soon. She's moving her biz to Boise, ID.
I went to White Swan today. Marylynn will stay open until she sells her home for the move to Boise, and she's still got PLENTY of stuff, so it's worth a stop. She also plans to open an online store.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #371
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
I went to White Swan today. Marylynn will stay open until she sells her home for the move to Boise, and she's still got PLENTY of stuff, so it's worth a stop. She also plans to open an online store.
If you are looking for a scrapbooking store near Lewisburg, Pa. Please treat yourself to Scrapbook Lady on the highway. I have never been in a store where she has so much to pick from. She offers many classes and has a website with lots of information. The ladies that were there to help us were nicer than I have ever been treated as an added bonus.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #372
Watercolor Wizard

Another successful trip for supplies! My bank account does not like Lancaster at all! We went Monday, went to the Flower & Craft Warehouse just to see if it was better than last year...it was not. NOTHING like what is was when I first discovered it in 2005. I bought vellum tape...and that was it. It's a sad day when that's all I "had" to have!! Even the DH commented on it! Also went to L&Ls, what a great new place she has! Also made it over to Country Cottage, Farmhouse Memories, and Rocky Hill. From the HEart was closed (I knew that in advance), and Barbara's was also closed. it was the furthest south so we went there 1st, I didn't realize I read the info incorrectly and she didn't open until noon. We got there at 8:15.

We left for Gettysburg Tuesday early AM because of the weatehr reports. The good news is I got that extra shopping day back Friday afternoon! Back to L&L for more Nestabilities (can't get them here & regreted not buying more the whole time we were in Gettysburg.) Everyone else was closed by that point. We left early for Philly Sat AM and got to Barbara's (after some convincing) just before 8 AM, she was still closed but saw us pull up so she ran down to open the store. I would have been sad if I didn;t get to go there this trip, last year she had stamps I did not see anywhere else. Same was true this year.

Hope to go back for my 3rd annual shopping trip to these stores next August (but 5th annual to the region, thanks to the FCW!) My only regret was not being able to see Ruthie (Rachel's sister) at From the Heart.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #373
Pearl-ExPert

Since geography is not my specialty, are these stores remotely on route if one were traveling from Towson, MD back to NJ. I usually do the 95 thing, but temptation lures...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #374
Watercolor Wizard

Can't help you there, I travel from NY and we take the Jersey Turnpike to the Penn Turnpike to Route 30, I think. MD isn't that far, perhaps a trek a little more NE would do the trick as a decent detour?

They are reasonably off 30 and some other major roads, it just seems longer because the roads are not straight paths! Totally worth it, especially if you have few LSS or stamp stores in your area! Some are better for one, some have a decent supply for both.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 AM   #375
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiR View Post
Since geography is not my specialty, are these stores remotely on route if one were traveling from Towson, MD back to NJ. I usually do the 95 thing, but temptation lures...

They're really not on the route if you're traveling along 95. It would take you about 45 minutes to get to one. We travel back and forth to MD a few times a year to visit family. But you could plan an extended afternoon of activities on your way back, there are many things to do in the area!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #376
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
They're really not on the route if you're traveling along 95. It would take you about 45 minutes to get to one. We travel back and forth to MD a few times a year to visit family. But you could plan an extended afternoon of activities on your way back, there are many things to do in the area!
That's generally what we do if we aren't heading directly into Lancaster. I call it "commando shoppoing" - plot the ones closest togetehr and find the quickest way there. If I have a few hours I can usually hit several of them, I just need to look quickly, grab, & go. I had that this trip as well the last day.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #377
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiR View Post

I'm in Baltimore, and we head up Rte. 1 to 222. You could always head up that way and hit the stores and then backtrack to Rte. 1 and head up to 95 north from there. Just a thought!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #378
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher4416 View Post
Another successful trip for supplies! My bank account does not like Lancaster at all! We went Monday, went to the Flower & Craft Warehouse just to see if it was better than last year...it was not. NOTHING like what is was when I first discovered it in 2005. I bought vellum tape...and that was it. It's a sad day when that's all I "had" to have!! Even the DH commented on it! Also went to L&Ls, what a great new place she has! Also made it over to Country Cottage, Farmhouse Memories, and Rocky Hill. From the HEart was closed (I knew that in advance), and Barbara's was also closed. it was the furthest south so we went there 1st, I didn't realize I read the info incorrectly and she didn't open until noon. We got there at 8:15.

We left for Gettysburg Tuesday early AM because of the weatehr reports. The good news is I got that extra shopping day back Friday afternoon! Back to L&L for more Nestabilities (can't get them here & regreted not buying more the whole time we were in Gettysburg.) Everyone else was closed by that point. We left early for Philly Sat AM and got to Barbara's (after some convincing) just before 8 AM, she was still closed but saw us pull up so she ran down to open the store. I would have been sad if I didn;t get to go there this trip, last year she had stamps I did not see anywhere else. Same was true this year.

Hope to go back for my 3rd annual shopping trip to these stores next August (but 5th annual to the region, thanks to the FCW!) My only regret was not being able to see Ruthie (Rachel's sister) at From the Heart.

Glad you had a great time. For the future, if most Amish stores say closed, but the owner is home, she will be glad to open up for ya. Don' t turn away if the sign says closed. I know Esther, Barbara, and Rachel have done this for people in the past. And if Barbara isn't home but her mom is, Lydia will open up the store.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #379
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Glad you had a great time. For the future, if most Amish stores say closed, but the owner is home, she will be glad to open up for ya. Don' t turn away if the sign says closed. I know Esther, Barbara, and Rachel have done this for people in the past. And if Barbara isn't home but her mom is, Lydia will open up the store.
Barbara told me the same thing when we got there. In fact, it was almost 8 on Saturday and she wasn't opened. DH said she must be, the sign says so. I laugh and asked if he realized how many peopel forget about those signs at night...Barbara told me that's exactly what it was! She saw us hesitate and we saw movement upstairs, then the blinds fly open downstairs. She felt bad she didn't see us Monday, told me next time to wait in the driveway a few minutes, someone would see us and let us in. She said 8 AM would not be too early, she was running late that morning she opened for me.

I caught a few people while on vacation last year. I had called in advance knowing I owuld have to leave messages and play phone tag with the Amish ladies. Rachel was away but made arrangements for Ruthie to open the store for me; Rachel at Farm House Memories was leaving for vacation the day we arrived but opened early for me before they left; Lorene opened on that Saturday for me. I gave approximate times and worked around them - all SO generous with working around me. Something lost is many businesses these days!

They were only too glad to open, and they really had no idea how much I'd be spending (I made it worth their while I hope!)
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #380
Watercolor Wizard

BTW Cindy, Barbara speaks highly and fondly of you!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #381
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I am heading to Hershey in a few weeks and hope to spend some time in Lancaster County, which shops should I not miss?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #382
Watercolor Wizard

Are you more a stamper or more a scrapper? (Or both?)
Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #383
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
BTW Cindy, Barbara speaks highly and fondly of you!

Awwww, thanks! She's a very sweet lady, and our friendship has really grown over the years.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #384
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMR View Post
I am heading to Hershey in a few weeks and hope to spend some time in Lancaster County, which shops should I not miss?
I said hit at least a few of the Amish owned stores if you have time. Barbara's Stamping Delight, Country Cottage Creations, and From the Heart are pretty much in the same general area. L&L out in Ephrata is a very nice store too. In Hershey, there is a nice scrapbook store in the outlets near the park too.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #385
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I consider myself a scrapper, but I haven't had time lately. I have mostly been stamping.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #386
Watercolor Wizard

I'd go with Cindy's suggestion if you have limited time.

Just my own opinions, I go to the following for the items listed. Of course they all have other supplies available in addition to my list, I just don't travel there specifically for them (but of course buy them once there! ) AGAIN, this list is just what I use for myself based on my own experiences (this year & last year.) It is not comprehensive at all.

I go (here) specifically (not exclusively) to buy (this):
Barbara's - stamps. A huge collection, many you won't find as repeats from the other places.
Country Cottage - Stamps.
From the Heart - Scrapbook paper.
Rocky Hill - Stamps, loose watercolor pencils.
Farmhouse Memories - Coredination paper, scrapbook tools (that are either new or I can't find at home), paper & paper packs.
L & L - Nestabilities, Stamps, Card bases.
Pages in Time (not Amish/Mennonite) - an LSS, so a smattering of everything.

Most have loose Prisma pencils & Cuttlebug folders as well. I think L & L had Copics (but I wasn't looking for them so I could be wrong, and others may also have them.)

The Flower & Craft Warehouse has had less & less since I first discovered it in 2005. I used to be able to find TONS of things I could not get at home. We go almost once a year, and this year I walked out with Vellum adhesive (they were sold out at home.) That's it. My girlfriend went for the first time this year and found oodles of stuff, so it's all subjective.

I found nothing to buy at King's Homestead last year. I could get the same things at home, and, suprisingly for less money.

Just remember to bring cash. Some places take credit cards, some don't.

Hope this helps you a little!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #387
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I'd go with Cindy's suggestion if you have limited time.

Just my own opinions, I go to the following for the items listed. Of course they all have other supplies available in addition to my list, I just don't travel there specifically for them (but of course buy them once there! ) AGAIN, this list is just what I use for myself based on my own experiences (this year & last year.) It is not comprehensive at all.

I go (here) specifically (not exclusively) to buy (this):
Barbara's - stamps. A huge collection, many you won't find as repeats from the other places.
Country Cottage - Stamps.
From the Heart - Scrapbook paper.
Rocky Hill - Stamps, loose watercolor pencils.
Farmhouse Memories - Coredination paper, scrapbook tools (that are either new or I can't find at home), paper & paper packs.
L & L - Nestabilities, Stamps, Card bases.
Pages in Time (not Amish/Mennonite) - an LSS, so a smattering of everything.

Most have loose Prisma pencils & Cuttlebug folders as well. I think L & L had Copics (but I wasn't looking for them so I could be wrong, and others may also have them.)

The Flower & Craft Warehouse has had less & less since I first discovered it in 2005. I used to be able to find TONS of things I could not get at home. We go almost once a year, and this year I walked out with Vellum adhesive (they were sold out at home.) That's it. My girlfriend went for the first time this year and found oodles of stuff, so it's all subjective.

I found nothing to buy at King's Homestead last year. I could get the same things at home, and, suprisingly for less money.

Just remember to bring cash. Some places take credit cards, some don't.

Hope this helps you a little!

Very good suggestions and summaries!!!

And don't forget Barbara has the best selection of Prima's - they are my weakness!! LOL

Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #388
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Very good suggestions and summaries!!!

And don't forget Barbara has the best selection of Prima's - they are my weakness!! LOL
Thanks! It's sad when even my DH knows what I'm walking out with from each place.

Oh yes, SO MANY PRIMAS at Barbara's! I am fully stocked so didn't get any, but quite the collection over there!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #389
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks I will put these in my notes. We do have some great stores here but it is always fun to see new ones! I am definitely going to the scrapbook store in Hershey if only to get stuff with Hershey park on it. There is another on in the area that a friend here suggested, I have to check my notes.

I will definitely look at the ones you suggested. I looked at the Flower and Craft warehouse online, I still haven't decided. I am thinking my kids and dh will do one or 2 stores MAX! I will probably hit the hershey one while they are eating or something!

Thanks again. If you ever head to Massachusetts we have some great stores too!
Pia
Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #390
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got back from L & L stamps and she has some new things:

-Basic Grey 6 by 6 dp pads for $4.95 I remember seeing the lemonade, wassill, lime rickey, june bug, porcelain, and a few others that I can't recall right now
-tons of new Copics $4.45 for Sketch and $5.15 for refills
-the new cb folders (not the Christmas ones yet though, but she did order them) $3.45 each
-more kaiser pearls and rhinestones ($1.55 a pack I think)
-new Hero Arts clear stamps
-new flower embellishments
-3 colors of the coordinations black paper

She has the new Nesties on order, but doesn't have a shipping date yet.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #391
Mad Swapper

Default Butler, PA Store

Have any of you ever been to Scrapbook Station in Butler, PA? They have a small amount of stamp supplies - but the paper and other things - WOW! Amy the owner is great and has a wonderful staff to help her out. If you have not checked this out *DO IT*. She is also having a Scrapaway Weekend November 6,7,8 where you stay all weekend! If you want more info. - Let me know!

Tilly
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #392
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a reminder about the Buggies & Bon Bons Shop Hop that 11 stores are participating in October 8-17. It's going to be lots of fun and you can save 15-20% at each store if you have the passport or the passport/key chain combo. Check out this website for more details:

http://www.buggiesandbonbonsshophop.com/

Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #393
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by misse336 View Post
Just got back from L & L stamps and she has some new things:

-Basic Grey 6 by 6 dp pads for $4.95 I remember seeing the lemonade, wassill, lime rickey, june bug, porcelain, and a few others that I can't recall right now
-tons of new Copics $4.45 for Sketch and $5.15 for refills
-the new cb folders (not the Christmas ones yet though, but she did order them) $3.45 each
-more kaiser pearls and rhinestones ($1.55 a pack I think)
-new Hero Arts clear stamps
-new flower embellishments
-3 colors of the coordinations black paper

She has the new Nesties on order, but doesn't have a shipping date yet.
Wow! She has lots of new stuff. Hoping to stop up there Labor Day weekend. Thanks for sharing your list of goodies.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #394
Glitter Queen

Default Stampede in York, PA

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it in the previous threads, but the owner of Stampede, Janie passed away in June. Her daughter and son plan on keeping the store open. They have the best selection of stamps I've ever seen. So if you get a chance, please stop in and support them. Deb and Roxanne will take great care of you. And if you cannot find something, they will order anything you need.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #395
Stazon Splitcoast

ladies in sept a few friends and i are headed to yardley.pa. from binghamton,ny
any must see/shop stores on our way?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #396
Rubber Obsessor

Oh Mmmeola, I didn't know about Janie. We go to Stampede a lot on Sundays, but since she is NOT opened on Sundays over the summer months (I don't blame her!) I haven't been there for a few months. I even missed the last "make-it-take-it" in July. I'm so sorry to hear that. Janie was always sitting behind her cardtable trying to show you new things, so you'd run and buy them. lol She, and the other girls, were always so helpful. Who are her daughters? I know Deb, Deb's daughter, Shirley, Roxanne, and some of the others. So sorry to hear ........Thanks for letting us all know.

Linda from PA
Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #397
Embossing Fanatic

Does Monday/Wed mean Monday AND Wed or does it mean Mon through Wed? Sorry for the dumb question.

TIA,

Quote:
Originally Posted by misse336 View Post
L and L Rubber Stamps and Scrapbooking is the
1015 Frys Road Ephrata PA 17522
717-355-5115
Open Monday/Wed 9-7 Friday 9-3 and other days/evenings by appointment
Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #398
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandpm View Post
Does Monday/Wed mean Monday AND Wed or does it mean Mon through Wed? Sorry for the dumb question.

TIA,
L&L is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Other hours are by appointment, but she told me if I'm in the area on a Saturday to just stop in, someone is usually there. Hope that clears it up
Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #399
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol_PA925 View Post
L&L is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Other hours are by appointment, but she told me if I'm in the area on a Saturday to just stop in, someone is usually there. Hope that clears it up
I was there on a Saturday suring a previous trip. I called her in advance and she was very accommodating. She told me the same thing, and stayed open a little late on a Friday I was there a few weeks back. Most of the ladies are very good like that.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #400
Splitcoast Platinum Partner Company

This is sad news. Lorene at L&L Stamps in Ephrata seems to be holding her own, thankfully. I am sure the economy plays a part is this decision. Sales are down everywhere. I am honestly surprised that so many new stamp businesses keep popping up all the time. Only time will tell, I guess. Stampers certainly won't give up the hobby, we need it to stay sane .

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website ~ My Gallery ~ My Blog