Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #1  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rubber Chicken in Gaithersburg going out of business

From their email:

It is with mixed feelings that this announcement is being made. After successfully running Rubber Chicken for fourteen years, we are closing our doors to the retail location.
~snip~
Beginning Tuesday, March 25th, all regularly-priced merchandise will be 25% off. Effective immediately we will no longer sell gift certificates. If you have any gift certificates, they need to be redeemed by April 12th.
~snip~
We will continue all the scheduled classes and stamp club. We encourage you to sign up for these great classes. We are hosting one last retreat event with the wonderful Jen Starr at the end of March. She has lots of great techniques and projects to share. Come play with us and celebrate all our wonderful years together!
~snip~
We will host the yard sale Saturday, April 12th and encourage you to come out and Celebrate Women! We will keep you up to date on the latest sales as they continue. We do have several orders on the way - those items will not be discounted right away.

They don't mention anything about closing their internet store.

If you are in the DC/Frederick/Hagerstown area, this might be a good time to check out the store. It's small but has a wide selection of items. Lots of Tim Holtz stuff.

Figures, I finally find a store within driving distance and it closes...

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh shoot - my dad lives at Asbury and I have been in there once during my travels up there - was planning to go back next time I was up there. Have you been to Angela's in Reston? Another SCSer lives in Gaithersburg and she goes to Angela's cuz it has more stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #3  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmdwsView Post
Oh shoot - my dad lives at Asbury and I have been in there once during my travels up there - was planning to go back next time I was up there. Have you been to Angela's in Reston? Another SCSer lives in Gaithersburg and she goes to Angela's cuz it has more stuff.
Reston is a bit far for a day trip for me. I'm in western Maryland, past Hagerstown. Just finally made it to Rubber Chicken last month. Loved it and spent enough to make my sister's eyes pop out. Kind of the same reaction she had when she saw what I spent on cheese at Cosco....

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noooo! My local store went out of business last year. Another one that was up the road from me on my way to m in-laws also went out of business. The Rubber Chicken was on my way to my SIL's. All the decent places are out/going out of business!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

A whole bunch of stamp/scrap stores went out of business here in the last year. It really makes me worried for the ones that are left :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #6  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

That's a real bummer. I stopped in there when I was in the area for training and bought a bunch of the Lockhart veggie/flower couture stamps.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Add me to the sad ones. I live in Germantown and love going into Rubber Chicken. They have a wonderful selection of good quality stamps. My favorites are Outlines Rubber Stamps. Now all we have other than an option to order on the internet is Michael's and AC Moore which I have never been happy with stamp quality....I wish we had an Archivers somewhere close...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkwilterView Post
Add me to the sad ones. I live in Germantown and love going into Rubber Chicken. They have a wonderful selection of good quality stamps. My favorites are Outlines Rubber Stamps. Now all we have other than an option to order on the internet is Michael's and AC Moore which I have never been happy with stamp quality....I wish we had an Archivers somewhere close...
I've never been impressed with either Michaels or AC Moore's. Even their regular craft items aren't terrific.

Outlines has new 2008 stamps on their site. Pricey but unique compared to most on the market.

May have to start a thread on a "dream" store...

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 01:44 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 140 Likes on 55 Posts

While I don't live anywhere near here, the closing of another rubberstamp/scrapbooking store doesn't surprise me. I read an article in the Indianapolis Star this morning about a scrapbooking store that closed recently. With the economy, people don't have the money to spend on hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmdwsView Post
Hi, Laurie! I believe I am that "other SCSer" you mention. ;-) Sad, but true, about the store. I think she'd sell if she could find a buyer... any takers? I would consider retiring from my Day Job to help manage the place, but I cannot own it as a Stampin' Up! Demo. I'll guess I'll keep truckin' down to Angela's in Reston when I need a fix. It's only about 45 minutes, and heck, it takes me that long to get to work most days!
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, Leslie, you are the other SCSer I mentioned!! Maybe you can carpool with Rainsong and Suzanne to Reston.

Wish I could buy the business but I can barely buy postage stamps and gasoline so that isn't an option!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

For those in the area of Gaithersburg, MD don't forget the going out of business sale starts tomorrow morning when they open at 11. sniff sniff......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

For those of you in MD there is a store in the Savage Mill called the Queen's Ink...http://www.queensink.com/

I've never been there personally, but it's definitely on my "to visit" list the next time I'm down that way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Queens Ink is a fabulous artsy store with a great product line and wonderful classes. They are top notch and worth a visit. I am sorry to see Rubber Chicken go. They offered a great product line and very creative teachers. So many store's are going going, gone! It is hard for a independent store to compete with the internet and big box stores like AC Moore. We all love the small stores but do we really support them when we can find the same stuff cheaper? Just read all the threads on SC asking where to get the best buy. How are they to survive? If we like the personal service and attention of an independent store, we need to spend our money there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up Charlottsville area store...

Just thought I'd let you all know about a great store in Madison, VA (just beyond Culpeper). Along the way if you head to Charlottsville. It's Handcraft House. They started as a gift/rubber stamp store and branched into scrapbooking. They are now getting rid of the gift items and making way for Altered arts, bookmaking, more stamping and more scrapbooking. Nicest people ever work there!! I make the hour trip out there atleast 4 times a year, very worth it! I have been to the Rubber Chicken once, thought it was a great store, sorry to see it go. I try to support the local private stores, but they are all disappearing here too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggyfView Post
Queens Ink is a fabulous artsy store with a great product line and wonderful classes. They are top notch and worth a visit. I am sorry to see Rubber Chicken go. They offered a great product line and very creative teachers. So many store's are going going, gone! It is hard for a independent store to compete with the internet and big box stores like AC Moore. We all love the small stores but do we really support them when we can find the same stuff cheaper? Just read all the threads on SC asking where to get the best buy. How are they to survive? If we like the personal service and attention of an independent store, we need to spend our money there.
I support my local craft store rather than going to Wal-Mart. We have no ACMoore's, Hobby Lobby, or carp, the other big one. The local store, unfortunately, is run by a scatter-brained woman trying to appeal to every crafter. She carries a smattering of stuff for stamping, scrapping, painting, cakes, sculpting, floral arrangement, needle work, etc. No full line of complementary items for any one craft.

To give you an example of how knowledgeable they are, I went in two weeks ago to pick up some black embossing powder. They didn't have black but they did have one color of Distress EP so I bought it to try. When the girl rang up my purchases, she asked me what was the purpose of EP.

Weeks previously I purchased a Clear Resist pad from the same store and the girl (different one) said, "This pad has no color."

The local store was started by the present owner's mother. The mother was involved in crafts. The daughter just sits back and collects the money. If I were ten years younger, I'd open my own... .

What am I saying! Been there--don't wanna do it again!

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainsongView Post
... If I were ten years younger, I'd open my own... . What am I saying! Been there--don't wanna do it again!

Rainsong
You are the second or third person who I have heard say this! Hmmmm ... bad idea, huh? Here I thought buying RC would be an okay idea.
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the head up about Handcraft House. It is 2 1/2 hours away but I never know where my wheels will take me. It is a shame that some independent stores are run poorly and don't have the product knowledge to benefit themselves. Just try to support the worthy stores to keep them going, when you can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat3View Post
You are the second or third person who I have heard say this! Hmmmm ... bad idea, huh? Here I thought buying RC would be an okay idea.
I didn't have a craft or stamping store, though. Maybe they're easier than pet stores...

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

. . . and another one bites the dust. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes