Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #41  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I'm in the Bronx too. There's an A.C. Moore in Yorktown Heights. No bridge that requires a toll, and it's about 45 minutes away.

And it's the nicest ACM I've ever visited!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what you are experiencing isn't unusual at all for Michael's, sadly. if you read the back of the receipts, it says, one coupon 'type' per transaction. even though headquarters might tell you that you can use more than one coupon in a sale, the managers use this wording to interpret however they please - and most please to not let you use your coupons. I had one cashier tell me I couldn't use ANY coupons on a sale, even though nothing I was going to buy was either on sale or clearance. so I just said, 'okay' and left it all right there and walked out to JoAnn's! ;) they took my coupons without any problems. and they don't mind taking multiples.

there are several Michael's stores near me and they are all difficult. but the people at JoAnn's & Pat Catan's are just as nice as can be.
Glitter Guru

and Hobby Lobby is about an hour away or else I would go there, too.....
Rubber Obsessor

I was in Michaels just yesterday and they took three coupons. They are on the last day today of a coupon blitz week and they would take the ones that matched what you bought.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a really good day yesterday at Michael's. Went there with my 40% off coupon to get some new colored pencils. They had a tin of 36 Derwent Studio pencils marked on clearance from 69.99 to 19.99 so that went into my cart. Then I noticed a sign for Dewent "buy one, get one free" so I got tins of 12 Inktense and 12 coloursoft to try. Used my coupon for paper. The cashier tried to use the coupon on the clearance pencils but I pointed out they were clearance and I wanted the coupon used for the paper. The cash register kept giving the discount on one of the tins but I insisted they were "buy one, get one free" so she sent someone to check and the sign was there but it was last week's sale. She wound up giving me 50% off each of the 12 count tins and using the 40% coupon for the paper. I got a great deal out of this!
Embossing Fanatic

First-time poster here. I just wanted to say that I shop at my local Michael's in Ogden, Utah all the time and have only had one negative experience, and that was precipitated by a huge mistake on my part. Otherwise, they are always polite and eager to help me. (I am notorious for taking more product to the register than I have budgeted for, and thus asking them to put it back, as well as returning items I just had to have only to discover I didn't need them after all.) I'm a little surprised to hear others have so many difficulties, and I feel very fortunate for the great service I get.
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

One thing I think people need to realize is that 40% off coupon is designed to get you into the door. The hope is that people will buy more things that aren't 40% off. The company loses profit on the one 40% off item, hoping to make up for that lost profit through the sale of other non-discounted items in your shopping cart. If you think of it in those terms, it's easier to understand why they might limit coupons to one per day. These companies are in business to make a profit. If they aren't making a profit, what's the point in staying in business? Just my .02.
I think you are misunderstanding what is meant by using more than one coupon a day. Sometimes Michaels has more than one type of coupon good for the same time frame ie 40% off one item or 20% off entire purchase or a 50% off coupon. As long as you are not trying to mulitples of the same coupon you should be allowed to use them all at the same time. Both the Michael's near me allow you to use as many as you want as long as they are not the same. Joann's has a similar policy. I worked at Hobby Lobby for a short period of time and learned that a lot of the policies are inforced at the discretion of the manager but that doen't mean they are following corporate policy.
Rubber Obsessor

I guess you just have to learn to work the system at the store near you. I used to live very close to an M store and could go in several times in the same week. That is no longer reasonable as the store is a 20 mile round trip so I try to go there when I have other errands to that area.
Die Cut Diva

Remember the days that no one took coupons on Cuttlebug or CB items? That has pretty well gone by the wayside. Can't believe they were being so annoying. Don't we hear about this all the time on SCS. Really, they need to smarten up because we are a large community who shares stuff like this.
Rubber Obsessor

I can remember that when Martha Stewart products were first introduced at Michaels it was exclusive and no one else had them and no coupons were allowed. Now you can sometimes find her stuff in Walmart and Big Lots. And the M store has coupons on it.
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by faberinoView Post
I can remember that when Martha Stewart products were first introduced at Michaels it was exclusive and no one else had them and no coupons were allowed. Now you can sometimes find her stuff in Walmart and Big Lots. And the M store has coupons on it.
I forgot about that. It was so annoying. Recently found two awesome M.S. punches at TJ Max. I wonder what MS thinks of that.
Rubber Obsessor

I did not even know that there were craft supplies in TJ Max.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

But JoAnns seems to stay in business just fine and they do allow multiple coupons on a single visit.
Joanns always lets me use more than 1 coupon per visit especially when I have my kids with me & they want to buy something, rather than doing 3 separate transactions, they always let me use 3 coupons sometimes they give me coupons to use.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I did not even know that there were craft supplies in TJ Max.
It's a hit & miss. When I think about it, I'll go in there & see if they have any MS punches which are good priced at $2.99 & MS clear stamps $2.00--they always have pads of dp too.
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Connie, I'll have to go in next time I get close. Those are great prices.
Cardstock Collector

I'm not at all surprised to hear about all the negative things about Michaels. I used to work for them in a few different locations ( in Canada) and at first they were awesome with honoring any coupons. They used to have a coupon taped up at every cash and would scan it for if you didn't have one. They stopped doing that a while ago by head office and have since become incredibly strict. I know someone who even had problems returning an unopened, unused Cricut with the receipt! Said they were not returnable. Receipt doesn't say this and not posted in the store. Just ridiculous. I don't have a lot of choices for craft stores where I am unfortunately. I like some online stores that have good prices and great variety. As for AC Moore, it's funny they are so much better since they are a part of the Michaels family. I've only been to one once in Bangor, ME. They were very friendly but when I was asking about the digital die cutter The Slice, they had no idea what I was talking about. LOL. They did sell it but didn't have much in the way of accessories. More of a Cricut store.
Compulsive Stamper

I work as a scrapbook instructor at Michaels and tried to use a coupon for 40% off of a scrapbook item..I wanted to by the EK Success circle cutter in the scrapbook isle..the computer wouldnt take it!! I had to get the manager to override it! How can a circle cutter not be a scrapbook tool?? She told me that some of the problem is how the coupon is inputed into the system..I would ask to speak to the manager..Most cases they are the only ones that can override and make the price adjustment!
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by artkeepsmesaneView Post
As for AC Moore, it's funny they are so much better since they are a part of the Michaels family.
I've been researching this online and can't find any info that the two are related. We have one within 1/2 mile of the other and I would wonder why they would be in direct competition with each other if they are the same family. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of that information? Thank You!
Rubber Obsessor

Near me the Aaron Brothers and Michaels are about 1/2 mile apart and they are also in that same family. Who knows?
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Near me the Aaron Brothers and Michaels are about 1/2 mile apart and they are also in that same family. Who knows?
I've never heard of the Aaron Brothers, is that a big chain? I love craft shops close in distance because you don't waste a lot of gas checking out prices...:p
Rubber Obsessor

Aaron Brothers is heavily into framing, canvas and paint supplies. They do carry some arts & crafts materials and some scrapbooking matterials. I also so last visit that they had a new line of letterpress sets.
Matboard Maniac

I've been to a Michaels once, and they were nice to me, that was a long time ago, though. I go to A.C. Moore more frequently because it is closer and they accept all of my coupons.
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I've been researching this online and can't find any info that the two are related. We have one within 1/2 mile of the other and I would wonder why they would be in direct competition with each other if they are the same family. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of that information? Thank You!
AC Moore and Michaels aren't related....Michaels and Aaron Brothers(a framing store) are. Michaels also had a scrapbooking store called Recollections...it closed though.
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirterView Post
AC Moore and Michaels aren't related....Michaels and Aaron Brothers(a framing store) are. Michaels also had a scrapbooking store called Recollections...it closed though.
That explains why Michaels sells Recollections brand of stuff. I didn't think they were related because they would be in direction competition with themselves since they are within half a mile of each other.
Rubber Obsessor

I have know several chains that were related and frequently placed stores together. The Olive Garden and Red Lobster are sometimes only 100 feet apart. My Aaron Brothers and Michael's are about 1/2 mile apart. I think there are some clothing chains that do the same thing.

I wonder if Michael's Corp even knows how much there coupon policy causes animosity.
Embossing Fanatic

After reading through this thread (which got my attention because I work at Michaels), I just want to say that it makes me sad. I know that a bad impression leaves a longer aftertaste than a good impression, but PLEASE do not judge all of one store name by one or a couple of experiences. I pride myself on exceptional customer service. And yes, we do occassionally have complaints about a cashier or sales associate, and they are handled accordingly. But remember, these stores are run by corporate. And EVERY store is supposed to be following the same SOPs. So, my suggestion is that if you do get frustrated because of a coupon issue, ask to see a copy of their coupon policy. That is NOT the individual stores policy, but the corporation's policy.

Not all associates at Michaels are rude and ignorant. I love my customers, and especially enjoy getting to know the repeat customers (we live in a small town). They would not be repeat customers without great customer service. (There is a HL 1 mile down the road). Please, don't judge all from one experience.

Also - on a side note...Michaels is one corporation where doing the online customer survey actually does count! Every week, we are given a score. And that score affects the audit. VERY IMPORTANT to all store managers! And customer service is the first item on our audit. So, if you have a bad (or GOOD) experience, fill out the online survey! That store manager is going to hear it from their district manager and if they want to keep their jobs, they are going to pass on down to the associates. It always helps to get the names!
Crimping Master

lol I don't even bother with Michael's anymore. I always goto AC Moore or order directly on line. Hobby Lobby just went in also so I may find myself shopping there more too.
Rubber Obsessor

You are a lucky person to live near AC Moore AND Hobby Lobby. Sure gives you more choices.

I noticed in Michael's this week that they are looking to restart some of their crafting classes. There was a sign up in the yarn department that they are looking for some crochet and knitting teachers.
Kookie Creator

Default AARP discount

I am most likely the last to know this: Michaels' gives a 10% discount IF YOU SHOW YOUR AARP CARD ON TUESDAYS.

Sorry, I don't know if it is the total purchase, items not on sale, etc. Last Tuesday I was in the store and heard the announcement on their loud speakers. I checked out and used my AARP card.

That is the one thing I do know, you need your AARP card. Understanable.

Otherwise, I order on line. The exact same sizzix are on the wall that were there in Jan of 2008. They do not get new items in. If I want the new sizzix, I order on line.

Betty
Rubber Obsessor

I sure wish that they would realize that they could sell us more if they changed out the slowest sellers at least every 6 months and brought in fresh stuff.
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty_S_KView Post
I am most likely the last to know this: Michaels' gives a 10% discount IF YOU SHOW YOUR AARP CARD ON TUESDAYS.

Sorry, I don't know if it is the total purchase, items not on sale, etc. Last Tuesday I was in the store and heard the announcement on their loud speakers. I checked out and used my AARP card.

That is the one thing I do know, you need your AARP card. Understanable.

Otherwise, I order on line. The exact same sizzix are on the wall that were there in Jan of 2008. They do not get new items in. If I want the new sizzix, I order on line.

Betty
I noticed that too about the Sizzix at Michael's. I only go in there for specific items anymore like glue or paint. I used to go in for their dollar stamps, but those are the same too.:-( On line shopping seems to be the way to go.
Rubber Obsessor

The dollar stamps are seasonal and new ones come in about 2-4 times a year. The old ones are seldom clearanced so they hang around till sold and get in the way of seeing what is new.
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Although I love getting and using the coupons, I get a bit irritated with these kind of obscure refusals by some of the clerks. I've pretty much stopped shopping at Michael's for that very reason. I don't like feeling like they are "tricking" me...

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmm, perhaps "paper crafting" needs to be redefined for Michaels on their coupons. Art like origami or decoupage (both considered paper crafts) does not necessarily need any glue dots, ribbon, embellishments or stickers. It could be a way for them to protect their sales so that it doesn't get overly interpreted and/or abused. Otherwise my paper crafting would include a bag of m&ms and a brand new dvd, neither of which would apply to the coupon. ;)
Polyshrink Goddess

here in Winchester there is a Hobby Lobby being built within a half mile of Michaels. That should bring out a little better service from Michael's. The clerk knows me there too so i can't go back in the same day and Winchester is 35 miles from where I live. Last time I went to Michaels I came out empty handed. They don't sell Spellbinders there.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3,000 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I just want to say that both Michaels in our town are great. They have great customer service. I havn'e had a run in with any of them. They also take other stores coupons! So when, I can't find anything for 50% off at Joann's, I can take that coupon to Michaels! My Michaels carrys Spellbinders, and even Copics now!

VSBN24 National Scrapbook Day - Splitcoaststampers
Polyshrink Goddess

I have only had positive experiences at the two michaels near me. The cashier even pointed out to me that I could actually use two coupons on the same transaction as long as they were different. Very nice. Both stores near me are clean and well organized. My kids love it too.
Rubber Obsessor

I guess some of us are luckier than others. We each have to ferret out what the best deals and best service is in our areas.
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdbmomView Post

Not all associates at Michaels are rude and ignorant. I love my customers, and especially enjoy getting to know the repeat customers (we live in a small town). They would not be repeat customers without great customer service. (There is a HL 1 mile down the road). Please, don't judge all from one experience.

I totally agree with this. My Michaels is near my Staples that I always seem to be in for printer inks and misc office supplies. So, if I'm at Staples and not in a hurry, I'll pop into Michaels to see if they've finally added anything new, or will stop in if I'm looking for a particular artist something that no one else around me carries. I've shopped there enough over the years that some of the sales staff that have been there for awhile know me well. If I have a question on something, I'll ask the closest sales person (always tend to be the new ones who don't have a clue) and when they don't know the answer, I'll go looking to see if the "regular" associates I know are around. There are several of them who really are amazing, have a great knowledge of the store and the products, and if they don't know the answer, they'll try to find out for you right then. I know if I see them in the store and especially working the registers that my shopping trip will be a much better one. Other newer ones who try to be professional and nice simply don't have a clue as to what product I'm asking for or about and don't know who they need to ask to get me an answer.
Cardstock Collector

I hate the Michael's at Great Hills/Arboretum in Austin TX. They are rude and would do anything Not to let you use a coupon. I have gone in with different coupons with different codes as well as competitors' coupons and they would not let me use more than one. And then when I said my husband will use the other one from Joanne's, she said she had to ring it separately. Meanwhile, a long line was forming. Then when she was ringing up my husband's purchase, she balked at him using the same credit card! I was so livid and stated to her loudly for everyone to hear that this hassle is the reason why I go to Jo-Anne's. She reluctantly finished the transaction stating it was her job on the line for allowing it to go through! I told her it would be her job anyway if she keeps turning people away who wants to spend their money there! The rare times I've gone there with coupons, there is always some new coupon rule. I rather go to Jo-Anne's where they are so helpful and allow you to use several different Jo-Anne's coupons and competitors' coupons all in one transaction. Too much hassle at Michael's!