View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #425
Samantha
Hardware Hotshot

I have had a few requests to post an update on my knee surgery. Well, I went from a big "OUCH" to incredible pain. I went to see the orthopedic surgeon 7 days after surgery (last week) with pain that was about a 9 out f 10 - even on pain meds. He said that this was to be expected. HUH??? For the life of me I can't remember which Doc told me that this surgery was a piece of cake. I thought I could get through this fast and made light of the pain early on as I thought I only had to tolerate it a short time.

He said that because he really dug around in there and caused a lot of nerve cutting etc., that my recovery would be around 6-8 weeks. I am not a baby, but the pain has really started to get to me. I donít need this added pain going into my other surgery on Wednesday.

If I can keep it iced all the time, I do well. But I canít always do that. Today we took out my mother for a Motherís Day gift. I just hurt so much because we were gone so long. I had a DR. appít first so it was a long day. Days that I have DR appíts on are very painful days. On Monday I started rehab and I am dong the exercises. Mark brought up the stationary bike and put it in the family room in front of the TV Ė so I am using it. I am just so very tired and just plain tired of hurting.

Next Wednesday I will have reconstruction surgery. He will take out the expander on the mastectomy side and put in the implant. On the other side, he will do a breast lift to try and make me look symmetrical. He thought it would be about a 2 Ĺ hour surgery. I will spend the night in the hospital and then come home to heal. I am hoping that is the last surgery and I can just take a deep breath and get on with my life. I want to be able to walk without almost crying by night-time and I want to stop thinking about breast cancer and metastases for a while.

Mark will probably update this site on Wednesday night after my surgery.

Oh, my hair is starting to grow back. I measured it last night and it is about 1/8 inch long. Yeah!!! I think it is white too. I went out as a brunette and am coming back as a white hair lady. Ė Not that the brown was real. My eyebrows came in really dark though. Who knows what I will look like.

I apologize if I haven't responded to thank you, my friends, through PM's etc for your beautiful cards and nice and kind PM's and posts. You keep me going. Thank you.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!