Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Corian countertops and stains

My husband will be installing a *glacier white* Corian countertop in my craftspace for me (yipee!). We are wondering if anyone can tell us if they've had any problems regarding stains and/or what they did about it?

We've tested Sharpie markers on the sample chip and staz-on ink and managed to get it off with (what's it called...?) W-40 oil remover.

Does anyone have advice or tips for us? Thanks very much!

Sincerely,
Donna
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I have white in my kitchen and I have no problems. When it was first installed, there was a black line. Not so visible but I could see it. We called the guy back and he just used some solution and a scrubbing rock-ish looking thing and it's gone.

I have a 4-yr-old and we've been in the house for almost two years and not a stain in sight. I'm glad we didn't go for marble!!

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I was told that Corian was first made to use in operating rooms and it will not absorb stains or germs. Not sure how true it is, but I have the glacier white sink in my kitchen and have never had a problem with removing any stains. This includes the hard staining things like tomato sauce or mustard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #4  

Hi ladies, thanks for replying (this is my first try on a forum!). Your answers are so exciting and inspiring! Thanks so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi,
I have a light beige corian countertop - I have used the following to get out stains.

Bon Ami - only 89 cents and it takes out stains beautiful (recommended by my installer)

One time I had a wine stain and I used a very fine grit sandpaper and then followed with a polisher (both items came with the countertop when it was installed) - it took out the wine stain.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a white corian counter in my kitchen since 1993. It looks brand new. Nothing stains it for long. Just remember not to use boiling water on it....if you get any kind of stain, just use a scrubbie (the yellow sponge with the green side for scrubbing).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

White will yellow some over time (at about 12 years) , it can get stains from extreme heat conditions (hot pot placed on top of a stain) and over time can get scuff marks. For the most part it can be resurfaced by a professional when it looks really bad (looks brand new). If you use a scotch-brite pad with stains you may never need to have it refinished, with this pad soapy water will work.

I have had a cleaning service for over 20 years and have seen it all. You will love this surface for a craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to be a designer for a builder and sold all types of countertops. Corian is non-porous, so stains don't set in - but does tend to scratch. (They say is 'scratch resistant', but trust me - you get hair line scratches - I had a Corian topped desk at my job!)

Ammonia based cleaners (not window cleaners, tho) or good old soap and water are the best to clean it with.

Hope this helps!

~T

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #9  

What amazing tips and feedback! Thank you all so much for such thorough information! I'm as pleased by your help as with this forthcoming crafting space!!! Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #10  
mg
Kookie Creator

So would anyone out there replace kitchen countertops with corian? Is it as expensive as granite. Need to do ours and wondering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

You can also use dishwasher detergent on it. Just squeeze a little of the liquid on the stain - let it set for a few minutes and then wipe off the dishwasher detergent (along with the stain). For tougher stains - just let it set a little longer and scrub a little when you wipe it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Just don't put hot pans on it. It will crack!! I had white corian countertops until we re-did our kitchen. Scrubbing will get out most stains. But I must admit I hated the white sink, because it really needed daily scrubbing. And no one told me that you could not put hot pans on corian and we put a hot pizza stone on it and it caused a pretty big crack. We used hot pads after that. Now I have soap stone, which I love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have corian counters in my kitchen and they are dk brown w/flecks of color. I won't use a scurbbie on mine but I do use bon ami and a sponge to take out scratches.

As corian ages it gets a beautiful shine. I opted for corian when we bought our house 8 yrs ago because it was so low maintenance. My sister put granite counter tops when she remodeled and its beautiful but she has gotten a red wine stain that won't come out. I don't have any stains at all.

The only thing I regret is that I listened to the kitchen designer and got an off white sink because she said white would be to glaring. Well the off white sink always looks dirty because my white appliances are "so" white. Oh well, still love the counters as they are well worth money and add so much to the resale value.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

One of the things professional stone refinishers use to remove stains such a wine and animal accidents is to make a paste of baking soda and peroxide and put in on the stain and cover with plastic for a few hours. Once the paste solution is removed many of the stains are gone.

I have tried it on white marble floors and it worked. I do not know if it would work for granite or other materials but, it couldn't hurt. Marble is an extremely porous and delicate surface despite what designers and builders tell there clients. I have seen lots of disappointed homeowners with marble kitchens and showers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had glacier white sink in my studio in my last house (boy do I miss it!) and for the most part I kept it pretty clean. When we sold the house, there were a few stains that I could not get out, but who knows what they were from, as my whole family used that sink for their dirty work! I love my new white sink in my kitchen, though!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #16  

Thank you all, for your wonderful feedback! We just ordered the white corian and when I look at it I will fondly remember your help!!! Many sincere thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Can't believe no one has mentioned Magic White Erasers...these things are the best thing since sliced bread! I have Corian in my laundry room and I am not going to lie...I am brutal to it. I paint, cut, and everything else on that countertop...it is starting to show some of the abuse but still cleans up well.

Quote:

So would anyone out there replace kitchen countertops with corian? Is it as expensive as granite. Need to do ours and wondering.
I have both (granite in kitchen) and we did not install it but I am quite sure that granite is much more expensive...great for resale though :mrgreen: !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgView Post
We looked at different options for our kitchen countertops.

We decided on the decorative concrete over anything else. We now have decorative concrete on our kitchen floor, kitchen countertops, and upstairs bathroom floor. They are all sealed with some sort of acrylic (can't think what it is called) and clean up so easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

The beauty of Corian is that if there is a stain or a cut or a *gasp* burn mark that you absolutely cannot remove yourself, you can have them come out and fix it and it looks like brand new. I mean, not that I know because I tried to burn down my BRAND NEW REMODELED KITCHEN with a candle once. heh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I was looking between Corian (and other brands) and granite and the price wasn't that much. Of course there are different types of granite too. But, I'd get Corian again if I redo the kitchen or build another home just because I'm afraid of the maintenance with the clumsy hubby and child. Also, if there's a party... I'd be more worried about wine spilling on my counter top than having a great time

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes