Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you make a scratch and sniff card

A few months ago, SU!'s Stampin' Success featured a scratch and sniff card using unsweetened KoolAid mix and embossing powder. I have tried several times and it's just not working. I even tried heat and stick powder. Has anyone had better results? I just bought the Tart and Tangy fruit set from the mini and it would be great for this technique. . .if I could only get it to work. TIA for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

You mix clear embossing powder with any SUGAR FREE substance such as Kool-Aid, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. It needs to be sugar free as sugar will burn when heated.

I use this ratio:

1 teaspoon of sugar free substance and 1 1/2 teaspoons of clear embossing powder. Mix it together, apply it to your stamped image (I use either Versamark or the Stampin' Up! craft spots) and heat. It will retain the scent of whatever sugar free substance you used.

HTH!!!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I used versa mark inker and added ink to image I wanted to smell with a Q-tip. Then I mixed the kool aid powder with Galssy glaze enamel by stampin'up. Then I sprinkled it over the area with versa mark ink. Then I heated it. I harded up with a glassy appearance and you can sratch and sratch and it will not come off or flake off. It was a great technique I was taught for this. So I hope you have some luck.
kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 06:40 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

This sounds really neat!! How cool would that be on X-mas cards?

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my dollyView Post
You mix clear embossing powder with any SUGAR FREE substance such as Kool-Aid, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. It needs to be sugar free as sugar will burn when heated.

I use this ratio:

1 teaspoon of sugar free substance and 1 1/2 teaspoons of clear embossing powder. Mix it together, apply it to your stamped image (I use either Versamark or the Stampin' Up! craft spots) and heat. It will retain the scent of whatever sugar free substance you used.

HTH!!!:p
This is so awesome!! I am a new SU demo and I am totally going to do a workshop with this. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Default not working

i also bought the Tart & Tangy set to do a scratch'n'sniff card but i absolutely cannot get it to work! I believe I've tried just about every brand of kool-aid type drink mix on the market and it's just not working. i've tried it with versamark, craft ink, tried different ratios in addition to the suggested 1:1 1/2. The glassy glaze enamel sounds like a good idea to try. Are you all just using a standard sugar-free kool-aid envelope for .15 at the grocery store or is there a kind that works better?
my next experiment is going to be with sugar-free jello powder to see if i have any better luck with that.
i'm totally stumped here - can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn_ZaView Post
i also bought the Tart & Tangy set to do a scratch'n'sniff card but i absolutely cannot get it to work! I believe I've tried just about every brand of kool-aid type drink mix on the market and it's just not working. i've tried it with versamark, craft ink, tried different ratios in addition to the suggested 1:1 1/2. The glassy glaze enamel sounds like a good idea to try. Are you all just using a standard sugar-free kool-aid envelope for .15 at the grocery store or is there a kind that works better?
my next experiment is going to be with sugar-free jello powder to see if i have any better luck with that.
i'm totally stumped here - can anyone help?
Jenn,
My SU upline totally knows how to do this, so I am going to email her and find out the dish. I will let you know asap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by junebug28View Post
Then I mixed the kool aid powder with Galssy glaze enamel by stampin'up. Then I sprinkled it over the area with versa mark ink. Then I heated it. I harded up with a glassy appearance and you can sratch and sratch and it will not come off or flake off. It was a great technique I was taught for this. So I hope you have some luck.
kathy
Thanks, Kathy, I will try it with the Glassy Glaze (or UTEE). The trouble I was having is that the koolaid cystals are larger than the embossing crystals so I was getting lots of koolaid and no embossing and it was just blowing away instead of sticking. The UTEE crystals are thicker so this just may work. Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #9  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribing!! Thanks for the info so far - esp on the chocolate!!! Great idea!!! and Perfect for the tart and tangy set!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I just used sugar free koolaid and the glassy enamel and mixed half and half. I never thought about trying jello. I do know that it has to be sugarfree in order for it not to burn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

What about that liquid flavor that you put in candy? Do you always have to use a "sugar free" item? What if you used an item that has no sugar, or substitute sugar, at all? I mean just the regular pack or Kool-Aid. Could you use a "regular" packet of Kool-Aid and add Splenda to it?

Sorry for all the questions, but they have not been covered.

Lisa, Michigan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi:

I just used this technique today. I used 1/2 teaspoon sugar free kool aid and 1 teaspoon clear embossing powder. Also to adhere the embossing powder, I stamped the image and then used the versamarker to color over the area where I wanted the scent. Please note that there isn't a scent until you scratch it.

Good Luck.
Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by D MalinView Post
Hi:

I just used this technique today. I used 1/2 teaspoon sugar free kool aid and 1 teaspoon clear embossing powder. Also to adhere the embossing powder, I stamped the image and then used the versamarker to color over the area where I wanted the scent. Please note that there isn't a scent until you scratch it.

Good Luck.
Donna

What do you mean when you say you put Versa Mark to color
over it. How do you do that?

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm having a lot of trouble with this technique - all of the issues mentioned in this thread.... I was just wondering if anyone could shed new light on how exactly these cards should be made. I have tried 1:1 ratio of orange koolaid, 1:1 ratio of Wyler's Light Lemonade, 1:1 ratio regular Kool-Aid lemonade, 1:1 ratio Crystal Light lemonade. AArrgghh!! The ep is blowing away or lumping up. The cards don't really smell, even after scratching them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Beth I haven't tried UTEE yet. I did try jello, and I think the gelatin actually made it gooey and quite a mess....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Supplies Needed:

. A bold-style stamp set
. VersaMark� pad
. A sugar-free drink mix
. Clear Stampin' Emboss� powder
. Heat tool

1. Mix 1 part sugar-free drink mix to 1-1/2 parts Clear embossing powder (see Figure 1). For example, you would mix 1 teaspoon drink mix with 1-1/2 teaspoons of Clear embossing powder. You'll have a scented embossing powder!

2. Stamp your bold image in VersaMark ink on your card stock.
3. Heat Emboss the image using the scented embossing powder, just as you would with any other heat-embossing project (see Figure 2).

Note: For the scent, select a sugar-free flavored creamer or sugar-free drink mix for your project, such as sugar-free Kool-Aid� or cocoa. Why must the mix be sugar free? Because heated sugar crisps and browns. When choosing the right drink mix, consider both color and scent. Colored embossing powder will work for scratch-and-sniff images; however, unless you use embossing powder that is the same color as your drink mix, the colors may blend strangely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default How long does it last?

Does anybody know how long the sent lasts? I am making Christmas cards now, will they make it to December? What about those "already" scented embossing powders? I have found "Gelly Powders" and they have a peppermint scent. Has anybody used these?

Thanks for your answerers.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by risaleneeView Post
Does anybody know how long the sent lasts? I am making Christmas cards now, will they make it to December? What about those "already" scented embossing powders? I have found "Gelly Powders" and they have a peppermint scent. Has anybody used these?

Thanks for your answerers.

Lisa
Can't answer your question, but where do you buy the "Gelly Powders" and other scented powders? COOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

what is UTEE? if I can figure out whatever that is, I'll give this scratch'n'sniff thing one last shot. Otherwise, I'm just going to throw in the towel and assume the samples shown in stampin' success were not made using the same instructions they printed.
I would also love to know where someone found scented embossing powder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #19  
2kc
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by baweinstein2004View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble with this technique - all of the issues mentioned in this thread.... I was just wondering if anyone could shed new light on how exactly these cards should be made. I have tried 1:1 ratio of orange koolaid, 1:1 ratio of Wyler's Light Lemonade, 1:1 ratio regular Kool-Aid lemonade, 1:1 ratio Crystal Light lemonade. AArrgghh!! The ep is blowing away or lumping up. The cards don't really smell, even after scratching them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Beth I haven't tried UTEE yet. I did try jello, and I think the gelatin actually made it gooey and quite a mess....
Have you tried heating the cardstock from underneath so the mixture doesn't blow away?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #20  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have found scented embossing powders in a few places, but the one that has the most scents is Cornish Heritage Farms - google it, and you will find it.. They also make and sell stamps ( Thomas Kinkade and many others. ) I think addicted to stamps has scented embossing powders, as does krafty at krafts ( goggle it - sorry! ) - but CHF definitely has the best selection right now. I have ordered the chocolate scent - but it has not arrived yet, so I cannot comment on it yet!!

UTEE is ultra thick embossing powder ( I am not sure what the extra E stands for ). It is a VERY chunky embossing powder - very think layer that it leaves.. made by Ranger Industries.. Hope that helps a little..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

So I figured it out finally and taught the technique last night. Everyone ordered tart and tangy! I used 1 1/2 tsp clear embossing powder: 1 tsp orange koolaid ($.20 packet). The mix was a tad grainy, but not bad. After the cards cooled down a bit they had a very strong orange smell when scratched. The group loved it! I used pumpkin pie craft ink to stamp the orange with. I tried the versamark ink pad, and although the powder was tinted an orange color from the koolaid, it did not look good at all. The koolaid mix is a fine powder, so it mixed well with the clear ep. YEAH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

OH - I found this link to scented embossing powders:
http://www.cornishheritagefarms.com/...p/cPath/24_310
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

This is the site I found. They do have a section for stores that sell their stuff, but none is close to me. I can't stand paying shipping if I can get it at the store. I'm a cheep a**. lol

http://www.gelatinstamps.com/product...tedpowder.html

If anybody has bought some in Michigan, Detroit Metro area, please let me know.

TKS
Lisa M
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

UTEE= Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

You can make your own scented embossing powder by adding Card Scent directly to card stock or you add it to glitter or embossing powder... Go to www.Card-Scents.com... We carry Card Scent that is made for cards....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I have tried this technique, and at first couldn't get it to work well. Then I tweaked my measurements: try adding more embossing powder. Instead of the 1 1/2 tsp. clear embossing pwd., I ended up using about 3 1/2 tsp. clear embossing pwd to 1 tsp cocoa., to make a choc. scented cake. It worked great, but I would think that maybe for different scents/added powders, this ratio may be different.
Sheri.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

subscribing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default Gelly powders

I have used the Gelatins embossing powders and they are awesome! I have the chocolate and the peppermint. When they start to lose scent, place them in an envelope and it will regenerate. There are some places on ebay that sell these very reasonably. Also check with your LSS to see if they'll get some in--mine did and other people wanted some too, so it was worth their shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a project that my cub scouts would have fun with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

I saw someone's blog that had a really great tutorial for making scratch and sniff cards. I think they used the Tart & Tangy set. Does anyone have any idea whose blog I might have seen this on? I thought I saved it, but now I can't find it. TIA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried this morning to do the chocolate scented scratch and sniff. I either did it wrong, or my allergies are keeping me from fulling smelling, but I can't tell it did anything. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

hmmm... does anyone know how to make a baby powder scented card for like, a baby shower invite?? i didn't see the smell on card scents...
thanks
terri

Visit my Blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is wonderful information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #35  
kraf*T*y mama

would you be able to use baby powder itself?????

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #36  
kraf*T*y mama

Reading up on this as it sounds very interesting. I am getting Tart and Tangy and this would be so fun!

Christmas ones sound fun too with peppermint

and the chocolate cause who doesn't like chocolate right?

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I'll try this one on a card soon. But as Marilynn pointed out, I guess you need to watch who you would send these types of cards to. My husband can't have any kind of fragrance or his eyes start to water and his nose turns into an open faucet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Default Scratch and sniff issue

Could someone tell me if when doing the scratch and sniff cards the texture once finished is gritty or smooth. I have smell, I have image, but the image is gritty to the touch. From the Stampin Success catalog it looked like the image was nice and smooth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjosey69View Post
Could someone tell me if when doing the scratch and sniff cards the texture once finished is gritty or smooth. I have smell, I have image, but the image is gritty to the touch. From the Stampin Success catalog it looked like the image was nice and smooth.
I think that is probably the difference between UTEE and regular EP...UTEE will give you a nice shine like dried Crystal Effects....
Reply With Quote Likes