Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-11-2004, 05:52 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/ image transfers on tumbled tiles used for coasters

Would love to know if anyone has done image transfers on tumbled tiles to be used as coasters. If you have done this teqnique and have been successful, please share what products you used and simple step by step instructions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I hope to try this technique this coming week. Hopefully I'll have good news to share! Are you planning to do them any time soon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I just did it this past week. I got unglazed travertine tiles at Home Depot (they come in a package of 9 for about $5). I also bought cork and felt pads to put on the bottom (it was easier to use the little circles rather than a whole fitted piece & you can put your signature on the back) - the pads are in the door knob aisle. I stamped using Brillance pigment inks - you have more time to manipulate the ink around. If you use Staz On, the ink dries really fast and you can't produce a smeared or smudged effect. It's not necessary to seal (pigments are permanent) but you should use a tile sealer to prevent stains if you're using them as coasters.

If you don't have pigment inks, you can use your SU classic ink pads, but you have to bake the tiles at 350 for 20 minutes to set the ink. You can also stamp the image with classic ink and use your chalk and then you have to use a sealer!

The images came out really great! I used Spring Garden, Petal Prints, Roses in Winter and Fish Frolic (retired). I also stamped names on them to give them as year end gifts to my kids' teachers. Whatever you do, don't stamp their names in black, because it will look like you bought the coaster and then stamped the names on later. I found it looks much nicer to stamp names in coordinating colors.

I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet - that requires me how to figure out how to get the pics out of the digital camera! :? Look for a posting next week! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm sorry! I thought you meant transfer images like old photos, etc. That's what I'm going to do this week! I love to stamp my tiles but really want to see what this will be like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2004, 10:48 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Marcia,

I think that is what happyscrapper is looking for. She asked me but I have never done it before nor have I read about it. So we are waiting patiently for your wisdom. We do!

Hugs and big smile.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2004, 12:15 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Marcia & Beate,
Here is some info I found, but have not tried this teqnique. Has anyone tried this teqnique on tumbled tiles? Waiting patiently for more info.
Carla

Photo Transfer Tumbled Marble Coasters

This is an article by Christine Adolph that was in the Summer 2003 issue of "Legacy" Magazine.

Materials:

Color copies of photos
Acrylic gel medium
4" x 4" Tumbled Marble Tiles (from home improvement store)
2" foam paint brush
Matte Varnish
Sponge
Brayer
3M self stick felt (or cork) pads

Technique:

1. Trim excess paper from photocopy.
2. Generously apply acrylic gel medium to the color copy. Immediately position the coated image facedown on the tile.
3. Smooth out the copy with a brayer.
4. Allow the image to dry completely (overnight is recommended).
5. Once the image is dry, take a damp sponge and wet the back of the copy.
6. Use your finger to start rubbing the paper off the back of the tile. Continue to wet the image & peel. You will begin to see the image appear.
7. Let the tile dry and continue to wet and peel away the paper. Once all of the larger pieces of paper are off the image use a sponge to rub off the remaining paper. It is suggested to gently use the rough side of a sponge.
8. Seal with matte varnish.
9. Apply felt or cork pads to the bottom of the tiles.

I found this information on another message board.
Is anyone willing to give this a try? Please let us know if you attempt this and post your masterpiece.
Is this what you were talking about Marcia?
Attached Thumbnails
help w/  image transfers on tumbled tiles used for coasters-tiles_image_transfer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes