View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #33
goodlicorice
Watercolor Wizard

I've read the Out of Sync Child, but it's been a few years. Time to dig it out again.

My son doesn't really have tics, but he still has bathroom issues. He holds in his stool, then runs to the bathroom, often too late. I know this will interfere with his social life soon. He had his first "accident" at school a few weeks ago. The school nurse called and asked me to bring a change of clothing for him. I thought he'd be embarrassed or ashamed, but he really wasn't, which kind of bugs me. I knew it would happen sooner or later, and was hoping it would be while he was still young enough that it wouldn't be a huge deal. (Now if he were in 5th grade, it would be a BIG deal.) But I guess I was kind of hoping he would be a little more self conscious about the whole thing and that it would help put a stop to it.

I've talked to a pediatrician and a counselor about it and the advice they both gave me was to teach him to use the toilet daily. How helpful. Like this whole time I've just been teaching him to hold it in as long as he can.

Actually, come to think of it, he may actually have a tic I didn't realize was a tic until now. Every once in a while he'll let out a high pitched yelp or squeal, usually when he's really excited. I guess that's self-stimming, right?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!