View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
zapaz111
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
That actually sounds like something my DS had last year and it's called chronic hives. It starts with a virus and it has nothing to do with SPD or allergies. That might be what your doctor was meaning when he mentioned a virus. There is never an allergic explanation when this is the problem and it can go away in 6 weeks to never. My DS will probably never outgrow it completely - he still breaks out in full-body hives when he goes swimming or gets cold. He also swells when he is scratched. He will probably have those reactions for life. He still has other allergies that are life threatening, but these hives are different.

I am not trying to diminish what is happening to your DS. It is very scary, and we were even told by one doctor that our DS was dying because he was no longer responding to any medications to stop the hives. He was completely wrong.

If you want to google it, look up Chronic Urticaria. It could be an actual allergy for your DS, but from the little you said, it sounds like what my DS has.

The problem he had last week was different and I was shocked when the doctor explained his theory. I never would have imagined that SPD could affect an immune response, but I guess it depends on the individual's sensory difficulties. Every child is different, and this doctor felt that my DS's chest pains last week were related to a cold and SPD.
Yes, that is what DS has, chronic hives. No allergies at all. And those allergy tests were not fun. But the doctor said there was no way to know for sure without the tests. The good part of the whole visit was that they said to bring him into their office if he gets hives again because they will try to treat them without using a steroid.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!