View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
GWTW Junkie
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Default Parents of Sensory Processing Disorder kids

Hi, I'm Elisabeth and my 4-yr-old daughter was diagnosed with mild Sensory Processing Disorder (sometimes called Sensory Integration Disorder) about a year ago. She has no other conditions, so we are very blessed to have "only" this to deal with.

However, instead of becoming less pronounced as time goes on (like the therapist said it would) it has become more pronounced (or maybe I just recognize it more because I'm informed now). SO I am looking for a support group to join to help deal with the emotional aspects for me that have recently surfaced.

So little is known about this, I find myself explaining it ALL THE TIME--and there's no quick explanation, is there? I am torn between not wanting anyone to know and pity my child or me, and wanting them to know all about it so they can understand and help her. I am sad that this is the "new normal" and that our lives will never be the same way they would have been. I am frustrated that sometimes my husband doesn't seem to care (which I know is not true). I am angry that my in-laws don't seem to be interested in hearing about it or doing any research. I'm ticked at a friend for treating my DD like she is handicapped. I'm mad at myself for losing patience with her sometimes.

Would anyone like to start a group to discuss their stories, share tips and tricks, discuss treatment options, or just chat? Hope so!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!