View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #39
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
This is what DH said I should do. Just take the pain meds on a schedule right now. When I get behind on them, I am not in good shape. On the other hand, I don't want to seem like a wimp and can't handle what many other women have gone through too. So I am taking one pain pill on average every 3 hours today. It doesn't take away all the pain, but does make it somewhat bearable.

DH and I tried to replace some of the bandaging that was so tight in the arm pit and around my chest. We took a look at the damage. On a funny note - it does make my other boob look bigger.

I am still waiting for the pathology report. If they make me wait until I see the DRs on Monday, I am going to have a sick feeling in my stomach that it is not good news.

When I was in recovery, I do remember telling them I was very nauseous. There were about 6-7 nurses and doctors around me. I don't think they believed me as they did nothing. I said it again and still nothing. Then I threw up like a fire hose and watered down several people. You can't say I didn't warn them. If I could have laughed, I would have. Then I had the dry heaves but told them again that I thought I was going to throw up. They ignored me and said that no it was just the dry heaves. Ummm....nope. I got a whole bunch of people wet again. At some point, the patient does know best. I had the dry heaves all night and they didn’t give me anything to stop them until the next morning. The pain was so intense anyway and then to add dry heaving on top of it was not fun. During the night they gave me oral pain meds that I would throw up. Why not anti-nausea meds thru the IV? I have got to find out a whole bunch of “why” questions when I go in on Monday.

My voice is stronger today and my DD is flying in tonight. I can’t wait to see her.
Oh Sammie!

I hate that you felt so miserable but I have to admit that I laughed too when they got their just desserts for not listening to you! I do think they absolutely deserved it!

And good for you for asking the Why questions. One thing I learned when I went in for surgery a couple of years ago, and again with Dad last fall, is that sometimes following up becomes a self-service job for the patient and his or her family.

Don't know if this helps, but one thing my Mom did when she stayed with me after my surgery was wake me up in the middle of the night to take the pain meds so I wasn't in agony when I woke up. That very much helped to keep it manageable--didn't stop it but helped.

In any case thank you so much for letting us know what's going on. I hope you enjoy your visit with DD and continue every day to heal and get stronger.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!