Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning acrylic stamps

What is the best and safest way to clean acrylic stamps after using Versafine archival stamp pad with them? The ink seems to really stain the stamps. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I clean them gently with a baby wipe, then dry them with a paper towel. You can also dampen a paper towel if you do not have any baby wipes on hand.
Hope this helps. : )
Olivia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

You can also use Staz-on cleaner to get the ink off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by curiasView Post
You can also use Staz-on cleaner to get the ink off.
I wasn't sure if Staz on cleaner would harm the acrylic stamps. You haven't had any problems with it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I just had a bad experience with my Stazon cleaner from SU. I bought a beautiful set from Crafty Secrets and used it and cleaned it and the image came off the stamp. I just wrote Crafty Secrets to ask what I did wrong!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsyJNView Post
I just had a bad experience with my Stazon cleaner from SU. I bought a beautiful set from Crafty Secrets and used it and cleaned it and the image came off the stamp. I just wrote Crafty Secrets to ask what I did wrong!!
Do you mean the image on the wooden part of a stamp came off with the cleaner? That happened to me with a Magenta stamp. Or do you mean you lost the stamp image itself? That would be scary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I was told that Mr. Clean's magic easer does a great job.

Haven't tried it tho?? Has anyone else heard of this???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiltnstamperView Post
I wasn't sure if Staz on cleaner would harm the acrylic stamps. You haven't had any problems with it?
yes. stazon cleaner will harm acrylic stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Certain inks like browns, reds, and dark pinks will stain the acrylic stamps. You can try to stamp in a light ink first then the darker ink to reduce staining. It works, but makes your brown or other color just a little lighter. I like everything to look brand new, so the staining bothers me. It doesn't hurt the stamp though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I use a mix of water and Simple Green to clean most of my stamps. I also use gentle stamp cleaners. One hint that someone mentioned on Club Posh is to not use pigment ink because the formula does something to the stamps....just thought I'd mention that. Also, some of the inks do dye the stamp but I've never had problems with them doing anything to my pastel inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #11  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used window cleaner, mine is Earth friendly...ammonia and water only!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Be careful what you use to clean your acrylics as some chemicals will harm acrylics. I use Ultraclean spray which was specially formulated to clean acrylics without doing any damage to them. Technique Tuesday also has a spray cleaner for clear stamps. Just spritz your scrubbing pad, clean you stamp and rinse under water. Spritzing the pad (instead of spritzing your stamp) will clean a lot of stamps so the bottle lasts a while.

Also, pigment inks like Colorbox, Versafine, Versamark are fine to use. The ones that can damage the stamps are the solvent type inks like Stazon or Home Decor.

HTH,

Deloris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I read on another thread here yesterday that you should NEVER use Staz On cleaner on clear stamps. Not sure what the name of the thread is though. Just thought I would say at least that much. I dont know anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

A little "off the track", but some of my acrylics have lost their "stick" - probably from what I cleaned them with - what can I do to get them to stay on the blocks?? Many thanks, Valda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriendlyKatView Post
yes. stazon cleaner will harm acrylic stamps.
If Stazon cleaner harmed acrylic stamps, then CTMH would not be selling Stazon or the cleaner. I don't use stazons but I know many, many CTMH consultants do and they have never posted on the CTMH bb about the cleaner harming the stamps.

I do know that CTMH has stated that the cleaner is safe for the acrylic stamps but it is not recommended for use on the blocks.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by valminView Post
A little "off the track", but some of my acrylics have lost their "stick" - probably from what I cleaned them with - what can I do to get them to stay on the blocks?? Many thanks, Valda
You can use the original blue Dawn and warm water to wash your stamps (use a colander so you don't lose any stamps down the drain). Rinse well and then allow to air dry overnight. You will also want to clean the sheet that you store them on.

If you don't have Dawn, use a mild dishwashing detergent that does not contain lotion and one that is not antibacterial.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

If you use StazOn with your acrylic stamps, DO NOT use the StazOn Cleaner while the stamp is on your acrylic mount! StazOn Cleaner will *star* or craze (tiny cracks) the mount.
All clear stamps are not alike. There are really cheaply made ones, good photopolymer ones, and vinyl ones. I've read many times on SCS that Martha Stewart's clear stamps are vinyl.
I use VersaFine black with my clear stamps, even Martha's. I always stamp off several times onto scrap paper after stamping the image on my cs. This removes almost all the ink. Then I clean them on my scrubber spritzed with my SCS homemade cleaner: 1 squirt baby wash, 2 Tblsp. glycerin (pharmacy), 8 oz. distilled water (shake before each use). I lay the stamps aside til through stamping. I then rinse them w/ clear water, pat dry, leave to air dry before storing.
Hint from fantabulous SCSer's: Make your own scrubber! Get the wall paint edgers at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc. and trim one to fit an empty, clear bubble SU! stamp storage box. Thats very convenient, but you can use any plastic container that closes to house your new scrubber, even a ziploc bag!
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the suggestions - especially love the h/made cleaner and the idea on the scrub. Now I have more ?s. I live in Australia and don't know what the wall paint edgers are, though I will ask when I get to a hardware store - and when you say baby wash, do U mean a bathing "shampoo" for babies and what brand do U use (might make it easier for me to find). Valda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

My baby wash is Johnson's Head To Toe Baby Wash - No More Tears - made by Johnson and Johnson. You can use any brand as long as it's gentle, has no alcohol, and no lanolin. Sorry, I didn't think about members from other countries.
Ok, the wall edgers... well... they're the replacement pads for the edgers that have the frame to hold them and a handle for you to hold to spread the paint onto the wall. They work great for corners and edging the wall at the ceiling and baseboards. You can toss or wash out to re-use later (they're cheap). Theres a sponge on 1 side and the other side is fuzzy and long napped (similar to long napped velvet, only longer, not fabric and much more durable)- this is the side you set into the paint tray to pick up paint. The replacement pads are cheap!! 2 for a couple of bucks! The pads look exactly like my DD's CTMH scrubber. I read on SCS where others recommended them. The ones you buy from stamp companies come in a flat, snap-close plastic box and are around $10-$12. I hope I haven't confused you more.
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Not at all. That's clarified things - our edgers may be different but I get the idea now! Thanks, Valda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Cool Cleaning Acrylic Stamps

Close To My Heart has a spritz cleaner and double scrubber that works GREAT with acrylic stamps. Yes, Black and purple etc do leave a light stain on them, but overall the cleaner is wonderful for acrylic stamps and made for that purpose. Hope this Helps

Iona
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a mist bottle of water with a drop of dish soap in with the water. It seems to help clean them up pretty well. And I also find if the sticky back of the clear stamps looses it's power, I take my glue stick to the back of them and then wait a few seconds and then it sticks pretty good on the acrylic block. I wash them right after I'm done with them.
Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just an FYI, clear stamps are not all made from the same materials. It's best to check with the company who makes the ones you are using.

I don't own any CTMH stamps so I can't comment on what they recommend, but Inky Antics says right on their package NOT to use solvent inks like Stazon. I verfied this with Jackie who owns Inky. She said they don't know what the effects of using solvent ink will do to their clear stamps over a period of time so they tell their customers to play it safe and not use Stazon inks.

I use Versafine ink with all kinds of clear stamps. It works great and I don't have to be concerned about it harming them. Plus it's a whole lot easier to clean off my stamps as long as I don't let it sit on them too long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Smile

Hi Valda, go to a $2 shop type store and in the hardware/paintbrushes area the replacement pads for these edgers are here. This week my friend and I bought them, stick one each side in a DVD container. We were told about this by another friend and she has been using hers for ages. You then spritz one side with water or cleaner and the other side is for drying off.
regards Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladybugb919View Post
You can use the original blue Dawn and warm water to wash your stamps (use a colander so you don't lose any stamps down the drain). Rinse well and then allow to air dry overnight. You will also want to clean the sheet that you store them on.

If you don't have Dawn, use a mild dishwashing detergent that does not contain lotion and one that is not antibacterial.
You have to be careful, apparently, that you only use this once in a while--or it will cause build up,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

hi all, I don't use staz-on cleaner or ink on my clear stamps, my solution: If you like clear stamps for placement but like to use solvant ink try the stamps from inque boutique, they are real rubber and come in great designs. I clean all of my stamps with simple green diluted with 10 parts water to 1 part SG, super cheap and gets even the solvent ink off if your quick;-). My scrubber is a travel baby wipe box with a paint edger attached with foam tape to each side (one side wet-one dry), when it gets really dirty, about every 2 weeks, I wash it good with Dawn then scrape it down with an old credit card to dry it. I also use dawn to restore stickyness on the clears when needed, pigmant ink seems to make them not stick, the glyceryn/oil in it. Sorry to ramble, hope it helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Default paint edgers

Thanks Kathleen, that's a big help - I have seen edgers at Bunnings and they had plastic on the base - are yours the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishaView Post
Hi Valda, go to a $2 shop type store and in the hardware/paintbrushes area the replacement pads for these edgers are here. This week my friend and I bought them, stick one each side in a DVD container. We were told about this by another friend and she has been using hers for ages. You then spritz one side with water or cleaner and the other side is for drying off.
regards Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Talking

Yes they do have pastic on the back. Place 2 side by side in a DVD case not the very skinny one just the average size. When stamping, spray one with cleaner or water and use the other for drying off.
Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Default edgers

Thanks again Kathleen - will get some when I go into town next. I live between Heathcote & Nagambie and absolutely love splitcoasters - and cardmaking! Valda

Quote:

Yes they do have pastic on the back. Place 2 side by side in a DVD case not the very skinny one just the average size. When stamping, spray one with cleaner or water and use the other for drying off.
Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Smile

Valda, if you have any problems getting them PM me and I will get you a couple of packets and post them to you.
I know what you mean about SCS, I know I am addicted.
I live in Croydon, which is near Ringwood, Lilydale area.
Best wishes, Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Default edgrs

Lovely to meet you Kathleen (even if via America!). I will probably get them in Shepparton but will let you know if I have problems - very kind of you.
I know where you are - we lived in Glenburn many years ago before moving to Eden Park (Whittlesea) and then to our little farm in Graytown.

My email address is [email protected] - I would like to talk more and find out what stamping/cardmaking interests you have.

As I said, nice to meet you. Valda

Quote:

Valda, if you have any problems getting them PM me and I will get you a couple of packets and post them to you.
I know what you mean about SCS, I know I am addicted.
I live in Croydon, which is near Ringwood, Lilydale area.
Best wishes, Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 01:34 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
hi all, I don't use staz-on cleaner or ink on my clear stamps, my solution: If you like clear stamps for placement but like to use solvant ink try the stamps from inque boutique, they are real rubber and come in great designs. I clean all of my stamps with simple green diluted with 10 parts water to 1 part SG, super cheap and gets even the solvent ink off if your quick;-). My scrubber is a travel baby wipe box with a paint edger attached with foam tape to each side (one side wet-one dry), when it gets really dirty, about every 2 weeks, I wash it good with Dawn then scrape it down with an old credit card to dry it. I also use dawn to restore stickyness on the clears when needed, pigmant ink seems to make them not stick, the glyceryn/oil in it. Sorry to ramble, hope it helps!
I have to agree here. I'm a huge WM stamp fan, and thats usually all I buy. I found the ones that were originaly from Sugarloaf (Bought out by inique) and LOVE them. They are RUBBER stamps with the image on the back that you attach to the clear blocks. My only complaint is after awhile, they kinda got cheap and only started using strips of sticky stuff on the stamps, but I had extras from my first sets. I have close to 100 sets or more of these stamps. They are great, and easy to store too... and I don't have to worry about them breaking down over the years like photopolymer stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Several of the companies that produce the high quality photoplymer also have a appropriate cleaner for the stamps. Clear Stamps has a cleaner that smells really nice. Some staining of the polymer is just the nature of the product. I use Ultra Clean on my rubber stamps and it does a good job, but leaves a greasy film on the polymer.
FLLC (Flourishes) gallery
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

I have noticed that if you use a dye ink with the clear stamps the ink beads and you can see the beads on the stamped image. also the dye inks do stain the stamps I have. So I only use caulk or versafine ink
( I love the dew drops) with them and I haven't had a problem with them since. I clean mine with Stamping Up cleaner spray and scrubber pad but I think I might start making my own now that I have a recipe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

I have a friend who let SU black dry overnight on her CTMH acrylic stamps and blocks and now doesn't know how to ge the ink off of the stamps. Anyone have any experience or suggestions? She has tried SU cleaner and CTMH cleaner. The ink not only stained the stamp, but now it won't hold othe inks because it left a film on them. She wants to try putting them in her dishwasher...I don't think it's a good idea, but what do you all think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Great info

Thank you ladies for posting so much info.
I'm new to stamping and these type of threads are a great help.

Last edited by mh�thair; 01-03-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes