View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #58
lynnewithane
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan B View Post
I have an interesting (to me) stamping/Jewish story to help keep this thread alive. My coworker is Jewish and her daughter will become a bat mitzvah in September. She asked me to make a scrapbook for her. I asked her if she wanted room in the book for folks to sign it and leave messages. I figured I'd leave some pages blank at the back. She said yes.

Then she told me that no one would be allowed to sign it on the day of the ceremony because it was a Saturday and "doing anything creative was considered work, and therefore forbidden." Even signing your name with a little note is considered work. I thought that was really interesting.
The very religious Jews will not turn a light switch on (or off, I think) on the Sabbath,won't turn on the oven, won't drive.......the list goes on and on. Although I am far from being an Orthodox Jew, I attended an Orthodox synagogue as a child. We walked to services on Saturday. It was only about 3/4 of a mile, and I walked longer to school every day. (Of course, that was a different time.) However, they blocked the parking lot so that no one could "accidentally" drive there.
So, it is interesting that you may be able to drive to the bat mitzvah, but can't sign the book. Live and learn.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!