Originally Posted by ArtLvr
*scratch* I'm sure that it's suppose to make sense but I'm not fully understanding it. So, are you supposed to allow him to eat food that is cross contaminated to get his system adjusted to bits of peanut protein? Or is that still a no-no? I know you were still avoiding things like that, but does that change now with this new development?
I saw this and I realized that nobody had responded.
Never do this! If you are allergic, you can acclimate your body to an allergen (works with non-food). You will simply increase the allergy. YOu may not notice it if you are only giving little bits, but you are only making it worse, and more severe.
I am anaphylactic to shellfish. My 7 yo DS is anaphylactic to tree nuts (maybe) and shellfish. My 5 yo DD is lactose intolerant.
My reactions have been so severe, that my heart stopped when I was 12 (my first reaction to shellfish and I had grown up eating it weekly). My son tested positive to hazelnuts 2 years ago from a scratch test. A year later our lives came to a grinding halt as he developed anaphylaxis from within his own body and we were told he had a year to live. We have since found out the diagnosis was wrong, and we are seeing many different doctors. Many of his allergies may actually be false reactions
He's now tested negative to everything through the RAST test except for shrimp. But, he had a minor anaphylactic reaction a month ago while hiking in the woods. We don't know why.
We are a lot more relaxed now than we were, and we've realized we have to relax to give him a normal life. We went for 4 months with him sleeping with me and my DH in the guest room because we found him unconscious in bed.
We have another allergist/immulogist appointment in July and they will try to introduce tree nuts into his diet.