View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #22
ArtLvr
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Food Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Thanks for the tips about the books. I will have to look for some of those. I did find out that reason my son may have tested negative for peanuts but still reacted to them. Since he hasn't eaten anything with peanuts the levels of what they test for could be low in his bloodstream. That may not make sense, but it's something like that
*scratch* I'm sure that it's suppose to make sense but I'm not fully understanding it. So, are you supposed to allow him to eat food that is cross contaminated to get his system adjusted to bits of peanut protein? Or is that still a no-no? I know you were still avoiding things like that, but does that change now with this new development?

Quote:
We have relatives visiting, so I feel like I am the food police any time someone is in the kitchen. I'm worried about cross contamination b/c it has happened before with visitors. Does anyone else ever feel like that?
Yea, I feel your pain there. The kitchen is where people sometimes like to hang out. It was especially hard keeping people from feeding him stuff when my DS was younger. Little kids are willing to eat whatever you give them especially if it's candy (still had trouble saying no). It's been my experience that most people just don't understand the severity of this allergy. Or they don't understand that it's not just peanuts but things they could hide in or contaminated. Whatever dish(es) I cook/bake/buy I make sure it's safe for my son (and that he likes) and tell him my dishes are the only things he is to eat; especially deserts. When anyone has ever made comments on him not eating what they've brought/bought I explain that we're trying to keep him safe/reaction free. Even with the best intensions we all make mistakes and overlook something. I usually end my explanation with "The last thing we want is an Ambulance coming here taking him to the ER b/c he can't breath from something he’s ate." That usually does the trick. Sometimes I have to go into the whole EpiPen explanation (honking big needle into a thigh only 3-4" diameter—he’s a skinny little thing, what it does to the body, etc). Of course I try to say all of this politely, with the utmost respect, and add lots of kindness. Still, I hate hovering over my DS. He’s just turned 4 and is finally expressing some independence. Yea…it makes for a stressful time. Hang in there!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!