View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
ArtLvr
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstudio29 View Post
We are always worried about cross contanination and have to be very careful at icecream shops, they might have the peanut butter close to other stuff, I also am very careful at church picnics and any place you might not know what the ingredients are.

My friends daughter was just diagnosed with a treenut allergy and the only thing she can have is peanuts..weird.. So I've been working with her, she's having a tough time with her daughter in daycare and going to kindergarten next year.

Thank also for the info on the peanut allergy website...I am still trying to learn what I can or cannot have...its also hard because I have a soy allergy to, so that stops alot of food too.

Thanks for letting me talk...and I look forward to learning more on this thread.
Jen, I'm really sorry to hear about your peanut allergy. I'm so glad you found this thread useful. I will share what I know and hope others will drop in and do the same.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's DD tree allergy. The beginning/just finding out is probably the hardest; how did this happen, where do we go from here, what can he/she eat now and what do we need to throw away? It’s all very frustrating and confusing…My heart goes out to her.

I recently subscribed to AllergyMom.com and get a weekly newsletter. I just got my first newsletter and found Enjoy Life Food through an advertisement. They claim to keep the 8 most common food allergens out of their foods. I'm not sure how it tastes but it sure is good to know that there are products w/o the common food allergens. Maybe this is old news to some but not to me! Anyway, in my house we eat SunButter sandwiches (which my 16m LOVES and so do I). This has the consistency of peanut butter but is made completely from sunflower seeds and is surprisingly good. Best thing about it, processed in a peanut and tree nut free facility.

My son will be started his second year of preschool in July at a new school. Since we found out about his allergy we've been reading him age appropriate books about it. We have Allie the Allergic Elephant: A Children's Story of Peanut Allergies and The Peanut Pickle: A Story About Peanut Allergy. Both are very good. My son frequenly asks me now "Is that safe for me?" This is hugh to us because he has developmently issues as well. I know the books are having a big impact on him. I just came across another book at Amazon.com called Mommy, Is This Safe to Eat? A Guide for Preschoolers Allergic to Peanuts and Tree Nuts. I've not read or seen this book but looks like one I need to. Here's one for your friend to think about for her DD: Chad the Allergic Chipmunk: A Children's Story of Nut Allergies. All of these books are avalible at Amazon.com.

OMT I would like to add...God bless the people who went to Congress and got them to pass a bill that makes manufacturing companies list the 8 common food allergies. I'm not sure how strict the regulations are but at least it's something! It sure has been helpful for us.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck to you and your friend's DD.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!