View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #153
nickelini
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybee

Now I'm reading Anil's Ghost, by Michael Ondaatje. I'm only on page 30, but so far it's soooo good. It's about a Sri Lankan ex-pat who returns to Sri Lanka as a forensic anthropologist investigating political murders during their civil war.[/quote]
Sounds very interesting. When you have completed the book, please let us know what you think!
Well, I finished Anil's Ghost and I loved it. Usually when I really like a book I read right through it and neglect everything else that I can get away with. But this book I read slowly and really savoured. It's very nuanced, and Ondaatje writes in an evocative way, so with this one I liked to read a bit and then just reflect on what I read and the beautiful language.

It's very different from the typical forensic thriller (eg: Patricia Cornwell, or something you'd see on CSI), not plot-driven, but more cerebral. I especially loved the juxtaposition of the ancient cultures with the modern. Despite being set during a war, the book made me really want to go to Sri Lanka. I think this is a book that you have to be in the right mood to read . . . but I was, because it was one of the best books I've read in ages.

View My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!