Thread: Cuttlebug FAQ
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #148
amysings
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by laciann
i find Cats stacking file a little hard to know what to do. What is a Chipboard Shim? For Brass templates do I cut up a regular mouse pad? Half of things I should try I don't have and don't know where to get them! I would love to emboss with my brass plates but thres out any old mouse pad I used to have.
A "shim" is a carpentry term--it's something that you use to make a joint tighter. So for die cutting, it would be a layer you put in to make the sandwich stack tighter.

You can cut chipboard to fit in, and you may need more than 1 sheet.

I haven't even tried to use a brass template, aren't I bad? Maybe I'll give that a shot today. LOL If you have a Big Impressions Starter Kit (BISK--now discontinued) or a Wizard kit, they have the hard plate and soft rubber sheet that make the brass templates possible. If you're "doing it yourself," Cat's list suggests some materials that may work. If you try a mousepad, make sure it's a very thin one. Or you can try a layer or two of fun foam--it's cheap and easy to find. Another option is the rubber gasket available in plumbing stores (or Lowes, etc). Get the thinnest kind you can find.

The object is to give the template and paper something *flexible* to work against, thereby allowing areas of the cardstock to be pushed *through* the template.

The other important tip is to spritz your cardstock with water--it makes the paper more flexible and accomplishes a better impression.

Keep trying--it may take several attempts!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!