Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper Clay Tile Instructions

Several have asked how I made the tiles out of Paper Clay. I thought I would list the instructions for everyone to see. Please be kind. I have never done instructions like this before so if they seem confusing or you have questions just ask.

1) I rolled the paper clay out with an acrylic brayer or you could use a rolling pin. I made mine abut a 1/4 inch thick, however I am going to make them about 3/8 in thick next time. The thinner ones seemed to curl some when they dried. I cut out the shapes I wanted with what ever I could find, cookie cutters, metal jar rings, I used precut paper oval and square to trace sound for cutting those shapes. I cut them with an exto knife.

I also put in the eyepin at this point, or a looped wire for the holder. If you use the eyepin remember to put it in so that the hole is sideways not facing you. I made this mistake and had to turn them after wards. It worked but I am worried it might have made the bond weaker.

2) I dried them in the oven (for the most part) at the temperature the Paper Clay instructions recommend. I believe that was 250 degrees. I placed mine on cookie sheet with parchment paper underneath. I did turn them once during the baking time. I don't remember how long, but I don't think it was more than 20 minutes total. It is something you have to watch. I then took them out and put them on a rack to finish drying.

3) After they were completely dry ( you can tell because both sides will be white not grayish) I sanded the fronts and sides with a fine grit sand paper. I used a tan sanding block I found at Wal-mart for doing my tiles. I sanded the fronts and edges until they were smooth. They will be a little rough if you don't. This is a messy part, very find dust.

4) I stamped the image with Stazon ink and heat set it with my embossing gun. After it cooled I colored the image with my pastels. They go on nice and smooth. The clay really takes the color well. If you make a mistake or you need to erase, the pastels come off really nice as well.

5) I then sprayed hairspray over them lightly so that the pastels were set. I am not sure you would need to do this but I was not taking any chances. I know a couple of these I did the pastels in the darkers colors did run and I am not sure why.

6) After the hairspray had dried I used Modge Podge to coat them and make them shiny. I tried a spay lacquer like I use on the tiles but it seemed to soak into the clay to much. I found the Modge Podge was perfect for the luster I was looking for.

7) I then found a jump ring and a decorative bracelet charm or closure to add to that for the hanger.

I hope these were clear enought to follow. They really are pretty easy. I think the hardest part was coming up with an image to put on them. I like them better than the marble tiles because you can hang them easier. The marble tiles are just too heavy and I can't find anything to use to hang them with.

I intend to make a punch and keep them on hand. I think I will try a bunch of different sizes too. They will make great gifts.

If you have any questions please ask.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Default Paper Clay Instructions

I was wondering, can you use the paper clay tiles for coasters? Do you think I would have to spray with acrylic spray after applying the modge podge? I'm having a difficult time finding tiles at HD & Lowes to stamp on.

Thanks!
Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Snooky, you'd have to seal them really, really well! Paperclay is, after all, paper, and if it were to get wet, it'd probably fall apart. The problem with sealing something up that well is that the condensation from your glass would settle on the coaster and make it really slick. The nice thing about the tumbled tiles is that they are a little absorbent.

I've found them at both Home Depot and Lowe's...2 different stores each. If you are having a hard time, maybe ask a salesperson for "unglazed" tiles...any will work as long as it hasn't been "finished"

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Smile

Thank you! I'll make a trip over there this weekend. It will probably be easier now that I know what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I would not recommen using the Paper Clay tiles as coasters. I agree that even if you did get them sealed well enough the condensation would just pool on top of the coaster. If you are like me you want a coaster to absorb the moisture as well as protect your furniture.

Personally I don't like using the marbeled tiles for this purpose either. That is why I tried making them out of paper clay.

I do know that both Lowes and Home Depot have the tiles. In our stores here they are in the flooring department. I personally like the selection at Lowes better. You will want to go through each box. Some have a smoother surface than others and some are really pitted if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I would like to try using Paper Clay. What is the brand name you have used and where to buy it?

Thanks for the tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know the brand specifically. I purhcased it at Michaels. It is in a black package and in pretty large print says Paper Clay. Look by the Sulpy Clay and Fimo Clay. I am sure Hobby Lobby has it also and in the same location.
Reply With Quote Likes