View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
Laurie FW
Gallery Gazer

I just *had* to respond to this thread as my hubby and I were a salmon fisher family for many years before retiring from that dangerous job! When we went to graduate school in Texas, we would bring home two big boxes of frozen salmon and halibut to put in our freezer, then we had to make it last all year long because we couldn't afford to buy them in Texas! They are cheaper here in the great Northwest, I buy mine only FRESH (wild) Alaskan or Copper River salmon, my husband and I won't buy farmed raised, even I can taste the difference! I buy several of them when on sale, Fred Meyer's is the best place in my town, they FILLET it for you for free! If Costco has the wild salmon, I will also buy from them, but then you have to take it home and fillet or steak it yourself! Buy all you need for a year in July and August, take them home and freeze them in family sized portions in a ziplock baggie. Put the salmon in the baggie, cover with cold water to almost cover the piece of fish, squeeze out all the air you possibly can and freeze. Save out a large piece to have fresh that night. Here is my husband favorite recipe right now:

Flame Broiled Cajun Salmon

Salmon fillet (preferably Wild sockeye)
aluminum foil
butter, margarine or olive oil
Cajun blackened seasoning (We like Cajun's choice, or use one without too much salt!)
garlic, minced
grill or open fire

Cut the filet into 2-inch wide by 3 or 4-inch long pieces. Fold aluminum foil into small rectangle, flat-bottom boats to fit the salmon pieces. Melt the butter and pour about 1/2 teasp. on each piece. Liberally sprinkle blackened seasoning on the top of each piece, put garlic on those who like garlic (MY kids like them plain, no seasoning!) Cook at medium heat until just done. Very easy to overcook, so watch carefully!
Serve broken up on top of rice with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (get at Oriental store or Asian specialty part of grocery store!)

I also have a ton of good Halibut recipes, too! Our favorite is to mix 2/3rds sour cream with 1/3 mayonaise, spread on top of Halibut filet, sprinkle with dill and onion, cook until done, yum!

Now I am hungry for some salmon!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!