View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #24
SophieLaFontaine
Glitter Guru

Hooray! I am so glad this thread was started! I get so jealous every time I see that the Bible study thread got another post (jealous because there was no atheist/agnostic thread). Thank you Chris!

I think I am agnostic right now - I don't know if a god exists, but I wouldn't care if one did. I was raised in an ultra-conservative Christian home. We went to church all the time. Not just Sunday mornings, but also Wednesday nights (choir) and Friday nights (youth group). I did the whole nine yards - volunteered to play preludes and offetories, led Bible studies, participated in prayers etc.

When I was eight and started reading the Bible in earnest, I found the "wives should obey their husbands" thing and that was the first of my disagreements with God (the Christian God) and the Bible. This escalated until I was 22 and finally came out as a "non-Christian" to my parents (the rest of my world had already known). At that point, I still accepted that the Christian God could actually be real - I just thought some of his opinions and attitudes were morally unacceptable to me, as I interpreted them from the Bible.

Sometimes I think that if I am wrong and the Christian god of the Bible really exists - whatever. I tried my best to make myself believe in Jesus (never could) and agree with the Bible. But the more I tried to make myself agree with the Bible's views on some things, the more I felt I was prostituting my mental self.

For years I thought I was an atheist, but I had so much anger directed at certain parts of the Bible that I finally concluded that I must actually be an agnostic.
Thank you all so much for all the cards for SCS member Ladybug91743 Marie-alice. She is done with chemo and surgery. She is done with radiation treatments too, and is now just focused on recovering. She loves the cards!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!