View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #24
SophieLaFontaine
Stazon Splitcoast

Hooray! I am so glad this thread was started! I get so jealous every time I see that the Bible study thread got another post (jealous because there was no atheist/agnostic thread). Thank you Chris!

I think I am agnostic right now - I don't know if a god exists, but I wouldn't care if one did. I was raised in an ultra-conservative Christian home. We went to church all the time. Not just Sunday mornings, but also Wednesday nights (choir) and Friday nights (youth group). I did the whole nine yards - volunteered to play preludes and offetories, led Bible studies, participated in prayers etc.

When I was eight and started reading the Bible in earnest, I found the "wives should obey their husbands" thing and that was the first of my disagreements with God (the Christian God) and the Bible. This escalated until I was 22 and finally came out as a "non-Christian" to my parents (the rest of my world had already known). At that point, I still accepted that the Christian God could actually be real - I just thought some of his opinions and attitudes were morally unacceptable to me, as I interpreted them from the Bible.

Sometimes I think that if I am wrong and the Christian god of the Bible really exists - whatever. I tried my best to make myself believe in Jesus (never could) and agree with the Bible. But the more I tried to make myself agree with the Bible's views on some things, the more I felt I was prostituting my mental self.

For years I thought I was an atheist, but I had so much anger directed at certain parts of the Bible that I finally concluded that I must actually be an agnostic.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!