Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Cuttlebug, help

OK got my new Cuttlebug for Christmas. I was using stampin up cardstock. The combination I used was A, B, folder with cs inside, B as they show in the instruction manual, and it would not take it. So after many combinations we finally were able to use A, B, folder and 5 pieces of thin cardboard. Is any one else having this trouble? We tried a brass template and could not get it to work at all using Ellen H's theory with the mouse pad or any other combination. Oh, someone help I really want to use my Cuttlebug. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all today.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #2  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merry Christmas to you too K! Not sure why you're having a problem with your CB... I had absolutely no problem with the plate combo recommended in the CB guide. Sorry!
Old 12-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #3  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merry Christmas to you too K! Not sure why you're having a problem with your CB... I had absolutely no problem with the plate combo recommended in the CB guide. Sorry!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I'm wondering if the slightest increase in the B plates makes a difference as mine are not the exact same size. One is less than 1/16th of an inch thicker and tho I can force it in, the cranking is a bit difficult. I thought it was because I am physically challenged. I'm waiting to see when they have the B plates available on-line ti order some and see if that may help me.

In the meantime, I have been using an acrylic plate from my Zip-e-Mate. It is slightly more than 1/8" thinner than the B plate and not the exact length and width of the plate, but it goes right in that machine and cranking is a breeze for me.

So - it is either the thickness of the B plates or the spacing of the CB that could be the cause of your problem. I haven't tried the dry embossing yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was afraid to crank my "sandwich" through, too! But I kept putting it in just a fraction further, then rolling back out, then back in a bit more. Now it's going through perfectly! It took me awhile to get brave enough, though! LOL I didn't want to break my new present!

It does feel like it's going to break something, it's so tight--especially with the embossing folders IMO. But all the ladies on the Cuttlebugitis thread said the same thing.

Keep trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Looking for more help, thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Benko
OK got my new Cuttlebug for Christmas. I was using stampin up cardstock. The combination I used was A, B, folder with cs inside, B as they show in the instruction manual, and it would not take it. So after many combinations we finally were able to use A, B, folder and 5 pieces of thin cardboard. Is any one else having this trouble? We tried a brass template and could not get it to work at all using Ellen H's theory with the mouse pad or any other combination. Oh, someone help I really want to use my Cuttlebug. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all today.
It seems there are some variations going on, depending on folks' experiences:

For some, the B plates that came with the machine are "defective" and actually cracking when used in the sandwich indicated by the manual, with Sizzix Originals dies. Provo Craft is replacing those defective pads and you'll need to contact them for satisfaction.

Is it possible that one of your B plates is "thicker" than the other?

For others, the sandwich is so very tight, they dare not force it through for fear of breaking the machine . . .

As far as embossing folders go, this is the first I've heard of anyone having this problem, however, I quit reading the original Cuttlebug threads a while back, due to redudancy (which will naturally occur in a thread that ginormous! LOL!) It should be a snug fit, in order for there to be enough pressure to emboss the paper, but if you're having to force it considerably, I'd consider running to Michael's or Joann's and getting some replacement B pads and see if that does the trick. Some folks have hubbies who are handy with plexiglass and have made them some custom plates to alleviate this issue.

As far as embossing with brass stencils and the mousepad; I'd ditch that method. EllenH only suggested it (in the Cuttlebug thread) because she'd heard someone else mention they'd had success, and she did mention that she had poor results with it. EllenH later mentioned in that same thread that she has since found something that really did the job, and did it well: The Wizard Charm Embossing Kit (Pads); see the great article she featured at her blog for more info. They have worked with brass stencils, and Fiskars Texture Plates, but, they are currently sold out . . . Ellen carries them in her store and will be re-stocking soon as the manufacturer can get them to her distributor, and subsequently to her. I got lucky and ordered one from her just before stock ran out . . .

If you're expecting it to just crank through all by itself completely, just by turning the handle, that probably won't happen. You may need to "feed" it through with your other hand, just to get it started, while cranking at the same time, UKWIM?

Once the rollers grip hold of it, it'll go the rest of the way through just by cranking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not in front of my bug right now but when I use mine I put the white board down first and then sandwich the embossing folder between the two B plates. Then I have one extra (thicker) clear plate that I do NOT use. I thought this one was the A plate. You should not have to use anything else but your plates in the bug =) Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Hmmm.....I was thinking of going & getting the CB tomorrow ---hadn't wanted one before but of course now I *have* to have one ----but certain things I'm reading are very scary. "B" plates?? Combos?? Does one need a degree to operate one of these?? LOL!!! Please tell me even an idiot like me can use one!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's not as hard as it sounds, I promise! There are just different thicknesses of plates to make different thicknesses of dies/folders work. Somebody brilliant posted a chart--let me go look for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I found it! I can't believe it was 4 pages back! Cat put it together <hurrah>

Cuttlebug Sandwich Stacks

Tells you what plates to use for every situation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Thanks Amy I'll try those. I was in Michaels today complaining about my CB and they said just return it and pick another one. Too bad I didn't take it with me today, rrrrrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default Another Cuttlebug Problem

Instead of starting a new thread I'll see what you guys think of my problem. I used my Cuttlebug with the embossing folders and loved it. They are incredible. I tried all three that I purchased and knew I would love my Cuttlebug. Then I put in a couple of die cuts. When I ran it through I was surprised that it cut right into the plate. It cut the paper, but it also left a big indent in my B plate. I hadn't heard anyone complain about this. Is this what it is suppose to do? Please let me know if this is okay. I won't put through another die cut until I find out if I'm suppose to be getting these results. Thanks for any help.
blog - www.inkingaround.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Same thing here so I'll be interested to see if this is right also. I am thinking it is normal though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=K. Benko]OK got my new Cuttlebug for Christmas. I was using stampin up cardstock. The combination I used was A, B, folder with cs inside, B as they show in the instruction manual, and it would not take it. So after many combinations we finally were able to use A, B, folder and 5 pieces of thin cardboard.[QUOTE]

Maybe the problem is with how you've positioned the embossing folder within the B plates? I found that if the folder was too close to the leading edge of the sandwich, it was just too much. If you slide the folder back within the sandwich, the leading edge of the B plates will squeeze together and then you can gradually ease the whole thing through. I've been very careful, though - if it feels like I'm really working too hard to crank the sandwich through, I back it out and try again.

To the poster wondering about the marks on the B plate when using the die cuts.... The marks on the B plate are alarming, but normal. You'll probably even notice the marks are colored from the tiniest imprint of the cardstock you used. It won't hurt anything - and if you think the marks are affecting other die cuts as you use them over time, just flip over the B plate so you have a new smooth side against the die cut. Hope that makes sense and helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audra
Instead of starting a new thread I'll see what you guys think of my problem. I used my Cuttlebug with the embossing folders and loved it. They are incredible. I tried all three that I purchased and knew I would love my Cuttlebug. Then I put in a couple of die cuts. When I ran it through I was surprised that it cut right into the plate. It cut the paper, but it also left a big indent in my B plate. I hadn't heard anyone complain about this. Is this what it is suppose to do? Please let me know if this is okay. I won't put through another die cut until I find out if I'm suppose to be getting these results. Thanks for any help.
The dies are razor sharp steel ;) --they will "etch" into the top cutting plate with every use. Absolutely normal and what provides you that crisp clean die cut on card stock (or other materials)

Use that same side of the plate every time you use your dies, until it becomes so etched that you no longer get cleanly cut edges on your die cuts. Then, flip it over and use the other side until it is worn out in the same way. Then, it's time to discard it and replace it with a new one.

I bought several sets of replacement cutting pads when I initially bought my machine, so that when the time came to replace those pads, I'd have spares on hand and not have to run to the store (for me, it's an hour to the nearest Michael's/Joann's)

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

It is also not uncommon for the clear B pads to become somewhat warped or curved after repeated use. This is due to the pressure of the rollers on the machine against them. Doesn't affect how the pads work, so don't be alarmed by it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you so much. Now I can use my die cuts with out worry. I just wanted to make sure this was okay. Nobody seemed to comment on this and I figure someone else had to be alarmed when the die cut made an impression in their plate. Now I'm off to cut some shapes with my cute little Cuttlebug.
blog - www.inkingaround.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I am wondering why I get a crinkling on my paper when i use the sizzix embossing folder in my cuttlebug....any ideas on how to prevent this? I have tried brand new B plates and it still happens.....:-(.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyegirlView Post
I am wondering why I get a crinkling on my paper when i use the sizzix embossing folder in my cuttlebug....any ideas on how to prevent this? I have tried brand new B plates and it still happens.....:-(.
I personally haven't had this happen, but I've read on here that people are having success eliminating this problem by putting either a piece of regular copy paper or wax paper in the folder as well. Another thing you could try is to lightly mist the paper before running it through. I use a mix of about 70% water & 30% rubbing alcohol just so it dries quicker.
Reply With Quote Likes