View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #493
mustardseed
Die Cut Diva

Location: I now live in Flin Flon, MB Waaaaaaaaaaaaay up north.
Send a message via MSN to mustardseed Send a message via Yahoo to mustardseed Send a message via Skype™ to mustardseed

Oh Dawn, This sounds horrible. I`ve never heard of this being done for such a young child. My heart goes out to her. I have had to be separated from my son for the last 3 years because of divorce. It has been extremely painful but atleast I know he is with his father and is loved. It`s good that this home is close but does she really have to do this? Couldn`t she keep him at home and have therapists come to the house? Has she tried ABA or Discrete trial? There has to be another answer. I thought the eastern states were supposed to have really good services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.MA
Mishy- thinking of you and how the eval will go...

I am new to this thread, my nephew is 5 and severely autistic. He has No words, is not potty trained, and has been with OT, PT, speech, and more therapists than I can remember since 2yrs old. Next week my sister and her family will move him to a Residential home where he will get the best one on one care he needs, 24/7. The 'experts' say there is hope because they will begin working with him at such a young age...

My question to any of you: Do you know of a child who has gone to a Residential Home for Autism, and how can I help my sister? What can I give, in addition to my love and support, to help her and him through this? The home is 1 1/2 hrs away from her home. We are in Massachusetts.

Thank you!
Dawn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!