Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find the right words

I just found out today that one of my dear co-workers will not be back to work, as she is in final stages of illness. We all knew how ill she was, but we were praying for some sort of recovery, but alas, it's not to be.
My brain is trying to wrap itself around this info, and will not come up with anything for me to write in a card to her. I am just at a loss.
I can come up with several beautiful ideas for her card, but am just dumbstruck by the news.

Does anyone out there have anything they can share with me?

TIA for your kind ideas......wow, what a terrible place to be....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about using part (or all) of this Emily Dickinson poem? If you have the set Friend to friend, the first stanza is in there.

Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

The poem is lovely! I also think that sometimes a simple something saying the person is in your thoughts and prayers can mean a lot too. I am sorry to hear about your friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

How about just offering to be available for whatever is needed, shopping, cooking or just to listen?
When I had a friend in a similar situation, one day I took her daughter shopping for sneakers, because that day, that was what she needed help with.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just be honest... tell her that you are at a loss for words but you wanted her to know that you are thinking of her and praying for her every day. And let her know you miss her at work.

I'm really terrible at coming up with eloquent things to write or say when things like this happen so I always just fall back on honesty. Sometimes a simple, honest note just seems right, ya know?

And I also wanted to tell you that I am very sorry to hear about your friend. News like this is always so difficult to understand and accept. :( I'm so sorry ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sent a card to my friend that had a really airy fllutterly looking butterfly stamped on vellum and attached loosely with a brad so it moved back and forth. The saying stamp that I used didn't go with it but matched it in looks and words. "Thoughts of you flutter by on the breeze" Both were by Stampendous I think. My friend died just a month later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 04:41 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamper
Just be honest... tell her that you are at a loss for words but you wanted her to know that you are thinking of her and praying for her every day. And let her know you miss her at work.

I'm really terrible at coming up with eloquent things to write or say when things like this happen so I always just fall back on honesty. Sometimes a simple, honest note just seems right, ya know?

And I also wanted to tell you that I am very sorry to hear about your friend. News like this is always so difficult to understand and accept. :( I'm so sorry ...
you're right, just tell it like it is...it's so hard not to be emotional and break down in tears, all the while NOT wanting to put any more stress on her.....but you are right.....the truth is always a winner. Thanks for your kind words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
I sent a card to my friend that had a really airy fllutterly looking butterfly stamped on vellum and attached loosely with a brad so it moved back and forth. The saying stamp that I used didn't go with it but matched it in looks and words. "Thoughts of you flutter by on the breeze" Both were by Stampendous I think. My friend died just a month later.
I like your idea of the butterfly. I work at a hospital, and when a mother suffers a loss of a newborn, the staff always put butterflies on the doors of these Moms, as a way of alerting staff that there has been a loss....and I know Maureen would understand the meaning of the butterfly, without my saying so.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 05:27 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

You're welcome. My best friend lost her son and was in a support group. They also used butterflys on everything they sent out to each other.
I'm very sorry about you're co-worker. It's very hard. My co-worker's twin sister also worked at the same company so it was like seeing her everyday even though she was gone....very hard. God bless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 05:40 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORMOUTH
I just found out today that one of my dear co-workers will not be back to work, as she is in final stages of illness. We all knew how ill she was, but we were praying for some sort of recovery, but alas, it's not to be.
My brain is trying to wrap itself around this info, and will not come up with anything for me to write in a card to her. I am just at a loss.
I can come up with several beautiful ideas for her card, but am just dumbstruck by the news.

Does anyone out there have anything they can share with me?

TIA for your kind ideas......wow, what a terrible place to be....

How about something like this....

I am so sorry that you are walking such a difficult journey in your life. Sometimes life is such a struggle and so hard to understand. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and that I will gladly help you in any way I can. May you feel God's love and presence daily.

And for you.... keep praying for your friend and don't be afraid to call her and see how she is. I am so sorry to hear about this. *hug*

It's only an addiction if you're trying to stop....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I am so sorry for you and prayers are being said for your friend. I am sure she would love to hear your voice. Call her. Let her know you are thinking about her and praying for her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly0618
How about something like this....

I am so sorry that you are walking such a difficult journey in your life. Sometimes life is such a struggle and so hard to understand. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and that I will gladly help you in any way I can. May you feel God's love and presence daily.

And for you.... keep praying for your friend and don't be afraid to call her and see how she is. I am so sorry to hear about this. *hug*
I like your words.....
It is so hard to realize that, there but for the grace of God, there goes you, and it your own mortality hits home as well.....so it's like a double whammy of emotion....
Reply With Quote Likes