View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #194
Orlandomom2
Compulsive Stamper

We had Brandon in tae kwon do before we got the 'aspergers' label. I am begging my husband to do it again! (it can get expensive, depending on where you go) I would do one thing differently though; now that I understand better how he 'thinks' - and that is I would tell his instructor that eye contact is overwhelming to him, as are loud noises. those are 2 things that the instructor would do; stand in front of each child had have him yell 'yes sir!' as loud as they could (including my son!) and he also demanded eye contact...which was interesting to say the least. When I say demanded...it was in a respectful way; not demeaning at all - but they did require certain things!

martial arts demands respect and focus - I will definately do it again as soon as we get our budget in order. Brandon learned how to do jumping jacks there (a HUGE motor skill!) and another thing - martial arts doesn't 'require' the social ladder that soccer, bball, etc do; it's the child bettering himself each time. If Brandon didn't want to talk to any of his classmates; he still had a great time... AWESOME for my kiddo!

that...was my 2 cents....lol
OH! and don't forget Phoebo (previously known as Phoebe) and Wanda - both the sweetest guinea pigs ever
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!