View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #182
dessertlady
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My personal view of Diamond Head (from my backyard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccasuehi
Kristen,

I'm on Oahu and teach at Ma'ili Elementary School on the Leeward Coast. In regards to ESY, I guess each district handles it differently because ours is only half day. I think the kids would balk at being told, "OK, now that you're on vacation, you're going to go to school for the entire day for four more weeks."

I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience as there are some districts where the experience is anything but. I worked for a while as an autism consultant and had one family that ended up putting their child at Loveland Academy because his home school was not able to provide for his needs appropriately. It was interesting. Luckily, I was not called in to the due process hearing as that would have put me between a rock and a hard place between my job as an autism consultant and my job as a special education teacher.

Becky
Becky,
Yes, I know we're lucky. DHhad a co-worker who has a DS with Bi-polar and lived up in Mililani and had a horrible time with the school. We sort of cherry picked the school (and I think DH let it drop that we had in the past hired an ed. atty.) anyway, we're pretty happy for now. Junior High has us worried just because we're heard really bad things about the school racial-wise. Apparently there is a lot of conflict between the different racial groups and the admin has been ignoring it, kind of wishing it away. We're starting to check out charter schools as an alternative and there are two in our area that have some potential. We would consider private, but aren't sure if how they would handle services or would even consider him.
Any input would be appreciated!

I know there's been discussion on melt downs, etc, what about vacation? In some ways it is good, but it seems like he gets a little worse when we are visiting family, I think due to the lack of routine and a grandparent who really doesn't get him. He has good and bad days, but seems like more bad than good. I know that Monday will be good because we will be flying that day and he knows that routine (and he loves flying). Anybody else go through this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!