View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #176
diana11460
Hardware Hotshot

themrs - I can totally feel for you! I think we have all experienced similar situations. I have even had to walk out of the grocery store leaving a full cart in the isle when my ds had a meltdown. I just casually mentioned the full cart to a clerk on my way out so things wouldn't melt in the isle. It can be so frustrating just being out in public sometimes. I too feel you need to help educate those around you. Just ignore stares and off handed comments, it's just easier. Although, I must say - sometimes a good comeback feels good to rude behavior. A friend uses the "oh, are you an Autism expert?" when total strangers try to tell her how to disipline her child. But when you need help (like at the pharmacy) or when around friends and neighbors, do tell them your story - educate them a little. You will find that people really can be understanding and helpful when they know the situation. The woman at the pharmacy was totally rude - she should have asked more questions to understand what you needed. She was so unprofessional - maybe you should complain about her.
So, keep your chin up - you are not a bad parent - those around you just don't get it. Don't worry about what other people think - they don't know your situation.

My gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!