View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #162
beccasuehi
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlady
Becky,
We just moved to HI in Jan. Which island are you on? We live on in honolulu and have had a great experience with the schools. I have a ? about ESY. Jacob did ESY this summer (we are on the mainland for vacation right now), but went all day. Does ESY vary by district? Jacob was not too thrilled about going full day, especially with regular school year starting two weeks after ESY!
Kristen,

I'm on Oahu and teach at Ma'ili Elementary School on the Leeward Coast. In regards to ESY, I guess each district handles it differently because ours is only half day. I think the kids would balk at being told, "OK, now that you're on vacation, you're going to go to school for the entire day for four more weeks."

I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience as there are some districts where the experience is anything but. I worked for a while as an autism consultant and had one family that ended up putting their child at Loveland Academy because his home school was not able to provide for his needs appropriately. It was interesting. Luckily, I was not called in to the due process hearing as that would have put me between a rock and a hard place between my job as an autism consultant and my job as a special education teacher.

Becky
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!