View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #126
taydansmom
Cardstock Collector

I would also like to encourage everyone to be an advocate for your child. Some principals don't like to go out of their way to help one child if it will cause a change in the way the school is run, so they "forget" to mention district policies. Educate yourself!!! With everything I have learned about our school district, it has has helped me advocate for children in the foster care system (they don't have parents, just state case workers who have no time to learn the school policy, which usually gives the school the upper hand) Check into district based programs that will help you advocate for you child and teach you the system's policy. This is usually a program that is grant funded, so not always available in a "program" form, but it's there. Start with your Exceptional Student Education office at the district level, NOT the school. I could go one forever about this, so let me know if you need more info.

Medical foster care is the best job I could ever have. I get to be a mom and care for those who's parents can't. All of the children that come through our home have medical issues that need special attention. The policy of the program is to move the child once their medical needs are met or stabilized. I don't like that policy much and usually keep the children until they are permanently place in a home. Children are too fragile and don't need to be moved from home to home.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!