View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #121
taydansmom
Cardstock Collector

I am new to this website and just stumbled on this thread. My DS is 13 and dx w/ Asperger's at age 7, even though we knew something was going on by the time he was 2. It has been a LONG road, but I would not change it for anything. Social skills training, OT, speech, reading/language therapy for years and now we are on our own. He is in a mainstream classroom taking advanced classes and doing well. We have the obcessions that have been the same for many years-Yu Gi Oh and Japanese animation. Go figure, all of the fast action and many colors. It's what Asperger's kids like. After reading most of the comments, I could understand all of them except the toileting problems. I was lucky there. Yes, his name start with a "J" too-Jordan. He has taught me more than he will ever know. He is so loving and kind hearted. That is until puberty, now he is getting angry over everything. I am the only one that can talk to him when he looses control. After he calms down, he gives me a hug and apologizes. He is learning, but it is hard. DH and DD don't understand him the way that I do. Because of all the different things I have learned by caring for Jordan, I wanted to help others in our community. We (family) decided to become a medical foster family. This has helped Jordan have a better understanding (visual learning) of other people and the consequences for choices they make. Getting him to not question the parents for those choices can be a difficult task. We thank God for Jordan and the lessons we have learned throughout the past 13 years. I don't know that we would have learned anything without it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!