View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 05:03 AM   #25
fiona
Crimping Master

Send a message via AIM to fiona

Well a little bit more about us - gonna bore you all silly!

We knew J was different very early - I teach spec needs at 11 - 16 and DH teaches mainstream at 11 - 19. We got an early diagnosis, cos we pushed, but there is very little support here as J is not considered a priority.

He's in a mainstream school and is just finishing his 3rd year. This has been the smoothest! He's on School Action Plus which is a polite way of saying we know he's got a problem, but theres no funding! Luckily this years teacher has a son with ASD too so she knows how to handle him! He's sitting his first set of exams this year (also called SATS - but not the same) and his school said he was entitled to help with writing (he's got mild fine motor problems) if he needed it. He was scoring average! We said he needs them, he got a scribe and suddenly he's scoring above average! Now I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't kicked off?

I love him to bits and he wouldn't be J if he wasn't the way he is, but it is hard going sometimes.

OK heres a question for all you ladies, what are the obsessions? and what do you do if theres a meltdown?

I'll start - obsession - anything with wheels, cars, trucks, lorries, planes etc - we have so many toy cars etc that I feel like I'm drowning! And worse of all - I can't throw them away 'cos he notices!
Meltdown - definately not laughing and trying to joke him out of it - red rag to a bull! best solution, don't get there in the first place!

Lovely reading all your replies - hope we can keep this thread going for support! BTW as I'm on another time zone or planet, if you want me please PM me - I'm happy to listen whenever!

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!