View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #12
ccarol
Kookie Creator

hello - my 16 year old son Nick just received a formal diagnosis last year - as we had always suspected he is on the spectrum and is considered to be Asperger's. he also has issues with ADHD, some OCD and anxiety -- his freshman year in high school started out horribly, but luckily he has a good counselor and with his IEP now in place things are going better. we still have encountered problems with some teachers who don't want to modify but i make sure that i stay on top of things. nick's been lucky to have some great teachers in past years, who still support him and me when needed. i truly appreciate their knowledge and emotional support.

the best advice i can give is be an advocate for your child. educate yourself and if you have to make noise, do it. don't worry that certain people won't like you, you're not looking for friends, you are trying to get the services your child needs. also, i am a big believer in as much early intervention as you can get. nick was in numerous programs from 3 years on - special needs preschool, speech therapy, occupational therapy. i think these programs pay benefits later on.

also, take time out and care for yourself - you have to feed your soul in order to be able to be take care of your children -- i think that's where stamping come in -- i think a lot of times we put ourselves too far down on the list of things to take care of -- remember, when you are rested and happy, everyone at home will be happier!

carol