View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
stampinthyme
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to stampinthyme

My son Drew is a diabetic! He was diagnosesed when he was 4 , he is 10 now. Almost 11, he handles it very well. But we still have many out of control days. Stress effects him, excitement effects him.

I'm kinda shocked at your doctor making you wait, they tested Drew's urine in the office and told us that minute. His blood sugar when they did the bood test was 58. He was one sick little puppy. We were in the hospital for a week. He was in a coma, the doctors were very surprised that he didn't have organ damage. Yes diabetes is treatable but it is still a serious illness.

Some tell tale signs that something was up we missed, he had lost 10 lbs. His little arms were like sticks. He was sleep walking at night (having lows) Peeing his bed. He had been dry at night for 2 years. Behavior changes, my litttle angel turned to a monster. Only after the insulin kicked in did that change. I was pregnant with # 5 when all this happened.

If your worried there are strips that you can dip urine for sugar and ketones. Ketones BAD. They are what destroys normal tissue.

A note diabetics usually do really well the first year of diagnosis. Don't be fooled, their bodies are still making some insulin so everything works better. We were so diappointed when drew's sugars bounced around.

You can imagine what it's been like this past year, with what our family has been through.

I can't imagine a doctor not testing the urine for sugar and just putting her on antibiotics and saying let's see. If it is diabetes this week is crucial.

Rhonda if you need to talk or more info, pm me. I will pray for your Daughter and your family. It is so hard when your children have issues. Believe me I have 5 and they either have a serious health issue or a learning diability. Some days I just want to cry, then I get back on the bus and count my many , many blessings.

Thinking of you,

Lisa

My life in a blogshell

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground the devil say's "Oh Crap, she's up!"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!